Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Convince me (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811634-convince-me.html)

BulldogMom 09-06-2013 06:42 AM

Convince me

Convince me to part with my clothes that are too big. I finally parted with my favorite pair of capris because they just wouldn't stay up anymore. I have shorts that I can wear but so loose that they're unflattering. I do have clothes that are smaller and I'm wearing just fine. I just can't seem to part with anything else. I can reason with myself that I kept the clothes that were too small because I would one day get back in them. But no one wants to keep fat clothes in the hope that they'll get back in them. Am I the only hoarder?

erinmarie 09-06-2013 07:09 AM

Nope I am too and running out of options in the clothes that fit category... Mine too are starting to be unflattering. I have been using a saefy pin to try and make things fit lol. I look like a damn bag lady...

emel 09-06-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogMom (Post 16592550)
Convince me to part with my clothes that are too big. I finally parted with my favorite pair of capris because they just wouldn't stay up anymore. I have shorts that I can wear but so loose that they're unflattering. I do have clothes that are smaller and I'm wearing just fine. I just can't seem to part with anything else. I can reason with myself that I kept the clothes that were too small because I would one day get back in them. But no one wants to keep fat clothes in the hope that they'll get back in them. Am I the only hoarder?

You just convinced yourself, I think. Why wear unflattering clothes? Wear something that makes you feel good about yourself and your progress, and congratulations on doing well enough to need a new size.

scalestepper 09-06-2013 07:15 AM

Go ahead and get rid of them! We didn't begin this wol hoping to come back again, believe!

Patience 09-06-2013 07:21 AM

Some of us, that would include me, have gone through phases of getting rid of comfortable old larger clothes, and then having to buy more. It's not a great feeling, and also costly. But I agree with others, get rid of them. I now have the opposite issue, just last year I gave up on ever fitting into some of my favorite jeans and gave them away, and now I wish I had them back. Still on balance, I'd rather be where I am without those old smaller jeans than back in my older bigger sized jeans. It's partly economics, but for me it is really more about my emotions.

Chocolate Rose 09-06-2013 08:50 AM

I'm in the same boat. I've packed up all my clothes that are size 18-28 and put them in storage. My issue is that every time I've lost weight, I've gained it back. I can't afford to replace a wardrobe. I'd love to feel safe enough to get rid of them, but now, even almost 4 years at a stable smaller size, I just can't do it.
I did keep my size 16s at home, but packed up. Hopefully I'll keep going down and at some point be able to say good bye to them all.

lterry913 09-06-2013 08:58 AM

I gave my clothes to charity...I figured someone else who might be losing weight might need some nice clothes while they are working their way down...any way I looked at it someone was going to benefit from my loss of the clothing and I would benefit from my weight loss...get rid of them and don't look back.

BulldogMom 09-06-2013 09:34 AM

erinmarie, LOL Too funny!

emel, Bella, lterry913 and scalestepper, Thanks! Good points too!

ChocolateRose, Glad I'm not the only one having issues parting with clothes. I think maybe I'll pack up the stuff and put it out when one of the charities come by. There will be no turning back once I have the things out at the curb.

ivyjewels 09-06-2013 10:37 AM

Not being able to afford a new wardrobe is partly my reason for maintaing a consistant weight.

I sold all my bigger clothes on ebay and in rummage sales over the years, and there was a lot of them.

It was hard to depart with them, but it was the one resolve I made to myself to stay in my new wardrobe.

It took me a while to learn my weight and self esteem go hand in hand.

So if I let myself get 20-30 pounds over where I am, my self esteem plumetts.

I remain vigilant to staying a size 6 & 8 because I can not afford a new wardrobe.

MtherGoos 09-06-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose (Post 16592798)
I'm in the same boat. I've packed up all my clothes that are size 18-28 and put them in storage. My issue is that every time I've lost weight, I've gained it back. I can't afford to replace a wardrobe. I'd love to feel safe enough to get rid of them, but now, even almost 4 years at a stable smaller size, I just can't do it.
I did keep my size 16s at home, but packed up. Hopefully I'll keep going down and at some point be able to say good bye to them all.

I'm exactly the same way. I've gained and lost this weight before and had to fall back on my closet full of clothes. My closet has size 24-4 in it. I do feel like this time is different, but I don't entirely trust myself. So as I go down in size, I take all the clothes that are too big, and put them in a big Rubbermaid tub. When the tub is full, I put it out in the shed. So far, I've filled 4 tubs! :jumpjoy: Now my closet only has size 14-4 in it. I'll probably never see the 4's again, but that's ok. I'm hoping that once I'm done losing, and I've maintained for a while, I'll just donate those full tubs to the Goodwill.

Key Tones 09-06-2013 11:39 AM

Ah, the old clothes.

I just got brave this week and had some slacks altered. This is scary because I am a tall but have short-ish legs and a pear shape which makes clothes a nightmare. This means regular slacks are a bit short and talls are too long, and I need a curvy fit, which are still to large in the waist. Sigh.

I like my avatar so much because I found it at random, but it really does look like me, and I am a pianist.

Anyway, what I have done is kept some things just one size up and gotten rid of the rest. It gives you a sense of security that way. I haven't had to go backwards much, but sometimes you do need something after vacation. I can really, really blow up in nothing flat. I am sure half of it is refilling glycogen stores and some of it is just food in the intestines and bloating from road food, but if you are like me and let down for vacations, then, well, this is all you really need.

If you adopt a philosophy of not eating processed food forever, you are unlikely to gain the weight back.

Hey, this is a good idea for a new thread. I'll start one and see what everyone thinks about never gaining it back for those who do not yo-yo.

martha 09-06-2013 12:03 PM

I have piled a bunch of things up to give away but haven't quite brought myself to do so. Feel bad because a good many things are fairly new and seems to me would look good on somebody. I have struggled all summer to get by, taking a few things up, rolling the waist over of others, then finally buying a new pair of pants. I just ordered two more. But I caught a look at myself in the mirror at the gym yesterday, and good grief, I need to get some bike shorts or something, I look ridiculous. The pictures taken of me on vacation, when I thought I looked so fantastic, are just as bad, because I look like I'm wearing a couple of sacks. This can't go on.

Kaillean 09-06-2013 12:21 PM

Well I am back here again, so keep that in mind. :sad:

Last time I was on LC pre-kids I got rid of all my clothes as I lost that size. I shopped thrift stores for things that would fit my changing body.

When I reached goal, I treated myself to a nice new wardrobe. But a small one. My husband fixed up our bedroom closet with proper organizers for me. I cannot tell you how much joy I got from being able to open the doors on that closet and see everything nicely arranged, knowing that every single item in there fit me perfectly and looked nice on me.

Such a HUGE change from standing staring at a closet full of clothes where almost nothing fit properly and was designed to hide my rolls of fat. This is the place I'm at right now.

I am very much looking forward to donating the lot of it and starting again. (I do have one rubbermaid of size 8 faves I'm hoping to get back into). I don't have tons of money either, but I will sacrifice other things for this. And I'm a work-from-home mom, so I don't need a vast wardrobe. A few staple items will do me fine. But they'll be lovely and FIT! I'm determined.

Anyway -- back to you. :hyst: (Sorry I tend to go off on tangents.) If you can swing it I would get rid of all of your old clothes. Get any favorites altered. Save money during your weight loss by shopping thrift stores or clothing swap within your circle of friends. (We have a clothing swap at my kids school too - one for ladies and girls only last time).

Believe in yourself and do not give yourself an out. You can do it!!

Aomiel 09-06-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalestepper (Post 16592623)
Go ahead and get rid of them! We didn't begin this wol hoping to come back again, believe!

My aunt has done WW 3 times and lost over 100 pounds every time...but never gave away the clothes. I think it was because she always couldn't quite believe she'd lost that much weight and was not confident in keeping it off. Self-defeating attitude.

This time she gave away the clothes and seems to be working more diligently at keeping active and watching what she eats since she can't afford to buy such nice clothes again.

GailyGail 09-06-2013 01:42 PM

Bulldog Mom, I'm a hoarder too. I literally have clothes in size 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 1X in my closet. Sometimes I look at my size 4 mini skirts from the olden days and marvel that my ass could ever fit into a skirt the size of a postage stamp.

Like Scalestepper said, go ahead of get rid of them. Better yet, why not donate them to a worthy organization. There are lots of folks who need clothes who would like having them.

And, I know I sound like a broken record, but I love your bulldog. What a sweet face!

Catzmom 09-06-2013 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=Key Tones;16593017]Ah, the old clothes.

I just got brave this week and had some slacks altered.

I was going to suggest this. Some bigger sized clothes are worth altering, and keeps you from having to buy a whole new wardrobe. I figure if I gain it all back, I will punish myself my making myself buy new clothes! :hyst:

princessmommy 09-06-2013 02:56 PM

Gave mine to my SIL! She was a few sizes bigger then I was at my highest and she started LC too so she got Great use out of what I didn't need anymore. I have 1 pair of jeans I kept to remind me of where I started but I Pray that I never Ever get back into them again!

BulldogMom 09-06-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GailyGail (Post 16593157)
Bulldog Mom, I'm a hoarder too. I literally have clothes in size 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 1X in my closet. Sometimes I look at my size 4 mini skirts from the olden days and marvel that my ass could ever fit into a skirt the size of a postage stamp.

Like Scalestepper said, go ahead of get rid of them. Better yet, why not donate them to a worthy organization. There are lots of folks who need clothes who would like having them.

And, I know I sound like a broken record, but I love your bulldog. What a sweet face!

Now I don't feel so bad! But I think 10 is as low as I go. LOL I did donate some clothes from way back when because the style was no longer suitable for my age or they were just outdated. I think I will hold onto the shorts until the warm weather is definitely over for us and then I'll donate the larger sizes. (And Jack thanks you for the compliments. He loves it when someone gushes over him. :))

BulldogMom 09-06-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16592978)
I'm exactly the same way. I've gained and lost this weight before and had to fall back on my closet full of clothes. My closet has size 24-4 in it. I do feel like this time is different, but I don't entirely trust myself. So as I go down in size, I take all the clothes that are too big, and put them in a big Rubbermaid tub. When the tub is full, I put it out in the shed. So far, I've filled 4 tubs! :jumpjoy: Now my closet only has size 14-4 in it. I'll probably never see the 4's again, but that's ok. I'm hoping that once I'm done losing, and I've maintained for a while, I'll just donate those full tubs to the Goodwill.

You're really doing great with the weight loss! You'll be filling up some more tubs before you know it!

MtherGoos 09-06-2013 04:51 PM

Thank you BulldogMom! I'm very jealous of your Onederland! Can't wait to join you there!

BulldogMom 09-06-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16593357)
Thank you BulldogMom! I'm very jealous of your Onederland! Can't wait to join you there!

You're getting there! And look how far you've come! I was in onederland for a day trip it seems. I'll be back soon to put some roots down.

DiamondDeb 09-06-2013 08:18 PM

Believe in yourself. You won't have need of those larger sizes again.

I had to get rid of most of mine several months ago. I couldn't remember which jeans fit, which were too big & which were too small! lol...

I don't want to wear clothing that doesn't look good on me. A little big sometimes works but not for long. It is definitely a challenge to wear clothing that fits and looks good while one is losing.

I tried just picking things out as they got too big but that did not work so I went hardcore. Everything was taken out of the closet & tried on. Only things that fit & that I like went back in. Most things were donated but some got tossed & some went to consignment. I don't have money for new wardrobes sitting around so anything I can get from a sale is going to help. I was left with a closet 3/4 empty & my dresser had an empty drawer. I think it now has two empty drawers. I don't have a lot but I know what I have fits.

Unfortunately, the consignment shop only took summer clothes (this is actually a good thing) so all the winter ones - and all the jeans - stayed piled up at home. Today I took my first load (they take 10 at a time) of fall clothes to consignment & it was so hard to part with a few things.

I'll allow myself to wear some favorite things a bit longer than I should but I eventually have to face the fact that they don't fit & I'll look sloppy if I wear them. A week or so ago that happened with a cardigan. I put it on & it just looked like a sloppy mess. I parted with a pair of slacks that I love today. I purposely got them a little too small when I got them because I was losing. But, honestly, I have the same slacks two sizes smaller & they fit so...

Getting rid of the too-big clothes also seems to make it easier to realize those smaller sizes are going to fit soon. One of my goals this month is working on realizing just how much I'm shrinking in size, and that, yes, those smaller sizes are going to fit, then smaller still. I see the changes in the mirror. I see the changes in my behavior that have become second nature. I am doing this. I will succeed.

I've gone through almost all of my too-small clothes; I got rid of the smallest ones I had when I moved several years ago. But I also realize those clothes would be very dated today if I still had them. Some of the clothes I kept were dated enough that I got rid of them even though they fit again.

Every time I turn around something else is too big. I'm working on finding good deals on enough clothing to get me through to the next size down...and then the next, and the next, and so on...

Ocean 09-07-2013 04:39 AM

I keep the ones I really like as sort of insurance to keep myself from needing them again. I'm afraid of the old Murphy's Law of "As soon as you get rid of something, you need it again."

It is sort of ridiculous. My spare bedroom closet is full of 14 Banker Boxes worth of too big clothes. I am just terrified to get rid of them because I'm afraid that as soon as I do, I am going to instantly put on 90 pounds.

BulldogMom 09-07-2013 04:59 AM

Thanks for the replies everybody! There are so many reasons that its hard to part with clothes. I think mine might be more psychological. I hate shopping for pants. I'm short with a big butt so nothing fits or looks good. I do look forward to being able to throw something on and feeling good about it!

Weezy 09-07-2013 10:42 AM

It took me over a year to get rid of my old work wardrobe...and I still cried because I had spent thousands of dollars on designer suits and blouses. But I'd lost so much that they couldn't even be altered.

So in reality that's all good news, right?

I originally set a goal of 220, thinking that I could just alter them. Then I got to 200, then I went to 185. Never thought that would happen...I gained weight in my early 30s and never really lost more than 30 or 40 lbs. and that wasn't enough to change my clothing sizes.

Now I wear a size 12 jeans....down from a 24. I still have one pair of size 14 to wear if my waist expands (I'm still an apple shape and my waist if the first place to gain). Wearing my jeans keeps me on track; if they start to feel snug, I know I need to tighten up my eating again until they're looser.

I HAD to get rid of my old clothes because this is the first time I've lost so much and I'm determined never to go back to weighing 275-285+ which was my previous range.

Still haven't replaced them....I hate shopping! Fortunately, I've also changed what I do for a living and don't need to dress professionally.

dgidaho 09-07-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogMom (Post 16593358)
You're getting there! And look how far you've come! I was in onederland for a day trip it seems. I'll be back soon to put some roots down.

Hi BulldogMom! Congratulations!!! I, too, took a one day foray into onederland. Can't wait to go back! :)

For my part, Kaillean pegged it with this: "Believe in yourself and do not give yourself an out. You can do it!!" This really spoke to me. We must have confidence in ourselves that we are truly in control over our own behavior (food choices). I'm working on that--but while I do, I need to burn bridges behind me (give away fat clothes) so I won't be tempted to turn back. :D

LisaG 09-07-2013 03:58 PM

I currently have 6, 8, and 10 in my closet. I got rid of all 12s for good. I figure I have some wiggle room but not toooo much. Just my weird way of thinking. Of course I kept all maternity clothes which are fairly large as I was 200 lbs. then. Not sure why I have those still, ha!!

DiamondDeb 09-07-2013 04:58 PM

I just tried on a couple blazers I bought online months ago at rock bottom prices. It was hard to guess what size I would be come fall. One is roomy already so I need to start wearing it before it is too late. The other was so small when I got it I almost returned it. It fits. Just, but it fits. I hope I get my wear out of them! Two others are flowy knits so they will be easier to wear as I get smaller.

I wish I had some smaller clothes left to shrink into but I am glad I finally got rid of the larger sizes.

Too bad we can't have Wardrobe Weed-out Weekends where we get together & help each other get rid of the things we no longer need and maybe even exchange things. lol...

Mistizoom 09-07-2013 05:13 PM

I have a hard time getting rid of clothes. I recently dontated of all my 5x clothes which I haven't worn in several years (I am just about about 100 lbs. less than my high weight of 327). I am also working on getting rid of my 4X clothes. I wore these last summer and the winter before that. I was in 3X last winter and am hanging on to most of those clothes right now - getting rid of just a few I don't really like. I find it harder to get rid of pants than tops. Tops are easier to find for me regardless of size, but good fitting pants are harder to find. I can now fit into 1X-2X tops, depending on the style, and size 20 pants. I think it will get easier to get rid of clothes that don't fit as I get smaller, because now I can buy clothes almost anywhere. When I wore 4X-5X the stores I could shop in were much more limited.

JennyBell 09-07-2013 06:21 PM

One way to look at it is even if you were to gain the weight back, those clothes would be out of style by then. Get rid of them and rid your mind of the clutter! Good job on the weightloss.