Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Trader Joe order (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811595-trader-joe-order.html)

monees lc 09-05-2013 11:57 AM

Trader Joe order

I plan on going to Trader Joe's this weekend. I am buying the Kerry Gold butter and some canned real crab meat. Any other ideas of what I should purchase. thanks.

evas 09-05-2013 01:25 PM

My staples from Trader Joe's are as follows:

- Coconut oil
- Nuts. They're way cheaper at Trader Joe's than the ordinary grocery store.
- Coffee. Again, way cheaper than the ordinary grocery store.
- Cheese. TJ's has a really good cheese section.
- Bacon. Their regular bacon isn't that great of a steal, but their "Bacon Ends & Pieces" are incredibly cheap (and delicious!). $2.99 for a pound.
- Bagged Lettuce. TJ's is the only place that has bagged butter lettuce (my favorite) and most of their other bagged lettuces are cheaper too.

pickles1010 09-05-2013 01:32 PM

My staples at T.J. are Almond meal/flour, dark chocolate to make deserts.
The almond meal is ground from the whole almond but who cares, its extra fiber and I cant taste the diff.

momov2boys 09-05-2013 01:47 PM

I second almond meal!

:)

millergirl1976 09-05-2013 03:07 PM

Yes to all of these, plus:

S/f dark chocolate
Chia seeds
Chicken sausages- different flavors, low in carbs and fillers, excellent quick meal

Explore the freezer aisle- some good veggies, and options for meat in there too.

Josh1234 09-05-2013 03:23 PM

Cheese and full fat european style yogurt.
They have some low carb spreads like their eggplant and red pepper spread. It's good on veggies. Or even on a hamburger patty.

BulldogMom 09-05-2013 04:01 PM

Definitely coconut oil. It isn't that expensive. We were making weekly runs to Trader Joe's until we got smart and just stocked up on it. One jar really doesn't last that long.

penguinpower 09-05-2013 07:49 PM

Frozen green beans, psyllium husks, ground flax meal, YES on the almond meal!, shelf-stable whipping cream, coconut cream.

micheleredit 09-05-2013 08:10 PM

I get coffee, coconut oil, peppers for eggs, cheese, bacon

love trader Joes!!!

That Girl 09-05-2013 10:39 PM

Three cheese pasta sauce, 4 carbs for 1/2 cup....ground almonds, greek yogurt, mozzarella braid, salami sticks.

marieze 09-05-2013 11:17 PM

Peanut Butter with Blue Label....just peanuts/salt
Frozen Chili Lime Chicken Burgers...1 or 2 carbs each...$3.99 for 4 delicious!
Capers
Kalamata olives in the can
Crumbled blue cheese for salads
Frozen asparagus/sliced bell peppers/mushrooms
Canned or refrigerated coconut milk and or coconut creme
Frozen Mahi Mahi Burgers
Cans of Tuna in Olive Oil
Macademia Nuts
Sunflower seeds

Have Fun!

monees lc 09-06-2013 08:30 AM

Thanks all - guess I should have done this post prior to my Netrition order. Now I know where to get the almond, flax, and psyllium stuff next time. So I will add a few of the other items suggested.

Key Tones 09-06-2013 08:41 AM

Grass fed hamburger patties in the frozen food section!

Frozen berries and vegetables for smoothies!

Check the spices! There aren't many but they have such reasonable prices!

monees lc 09-06-2013 09:16 AM

[Check the spices! There aren't many but they have such reasonable prices![/QUOTE]

I will definitely check spices - I enjoy creating the lowcarb recipes mostly on the weekend when I have more time for cooking.

Weezy 09-06-2013 11:16 AM

RE TJ's coconut milk/crème products...

I LOVE TJs, but I was very very disappointed in their canned coconut milk and coconut crème--both had a very chemical odor and taste compared to the brand I had been using.

If you have any Asian stores near you, check them out for coconut products. I've found them to be both cheaper and higher quality, especially for the thick, wonderful and unadulterated coconut crème....can't live without that stuff!

Stacy O 09-07-2013 03:17 PM

Their enchilada sauce is to die for; I stock up on that stuff! :) I believe they still have frozen Lagostinos too.

goheels 09-07-2013 04:02 PM

Sprouted grain bread(TJ's brand), coconut oil, olive oil, lettuce and veggies, frozen green beans, nuts, almond meal.

Jleighs 09-07-2013 08:22 PM

I just discovered their roasted and salted Pepitas when I went there yesterday. They are delicious! I haven't had seeds or nuts in a long time, but these are only 4 carbs total (2 net carbs) per 1/4 cup so I bought them to try. I'm very happy I did. As a bonus, they are an excellent source of magnesium. :)

monees lc 09-09-2013 11:29 AM

Thanks all. I did go on Saturday. Purchased the crab meat and the "golden butter" only. Will put TJs on top of list next month before I spend all the budget at the other stores. All in all, the trip was well worth it to check out the products, read lots of labels and finally try the Kerry Gold butter - wow.