Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Who quit drinking beer as part of their new start, and is glad they did? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811592-who-quit-drinking-beer-part-their-new-start-glad-they-did.html)

moonmirror 09-05-2013 10:19 AM

Who quit drinking beer as part of their new start, and is glad they did?

I know what I *really* need to do, its just hard. :(

emel 09-05-2013 10:54 AM

Hmmm. I'm definitely glad I cut way back on it.

When I originally started low carbing a long long time ago, I did induction, then started OWL and added in an occasional beer after a couple of months --miller lite, no more than 2 a day.

This low carb adventure is a redo for me, a decade later.
I cut out all alcohol for the first couple weeks, then added in bourbon and diet relatively soon after that.

Nowadays, after being on an OWL plan since May, I might drink a beer or two a month, like when I'm at the beach or a music festival on a hot day. Sometimes I just want that particular coolness and flavor. I'd say beer will remain a very rare treat for me.

Did that help?

fun w son 09-05-2013 11:03 AM

I dopped down to just drinking on weekends and I switched to Bud-select 55.... 1.7 carbs per bottle.

moonmirror 09-05-2013 11:11 AM

I wonder about the grains and gluten in beer. I suppose if I added alcohol back in, wine or spirits would be better; but I like beer....

I like sweet rolls and buns too, doesn't mean I should eat them, right?

fun w son 09-05-2013 11:17 AM

I'm the same way.... I like beer! I'm willing to give up the Carbs in food and live the LC life... but i think i deserve a little treat for a week well done!!

will I loose more, and faster if i dropped beer??? sure, but I'm good with a few pounds a week for now!

emel 09-05-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun w son (Post 16591497)
I'm the same way.... I like beer! I'm willing to give up the Carbs in food and live the LC life... but i think i deserve a little treat for a week well done!!

will I loose more, and faster if i dropped beer??? sure, but I'm good with a few pounds a week for now!

I agree with this as long as the extras stay in line.
Will I have a lightly mixed bourbon and diet or two? Sure, but not every day, and that's the only time I'll drink diet soda.

It's the same with a lot of 'advanced OWL' foods... I'll have a LC wrap a couple times a month, but I don't want to get in the habit of having a wrap for lunch every day. Phinney and Volek call it 'making the low carb diet sustainable'. I'm aware that it slows my losses, and I'm fine with it, because I'm happy with my basic foods and my occasional indulgences, and I feel like I can do this for a lifetime. Pretty cool. :)

evas 09-05-2013 11:58 AM

I did not quit drinking but I did cut back and I'm perfectly comfortably with that decision. I cut back on the frequency of my drinking (I only allow drinks on Friday/Saturday) and sometimes I have only 1 or 2 drinks in an evening and sometimes it's more like 5 or 6.

When I'm feeling disciplined I drink gin and seltzer but let's face it, beer is just plain delicious and sometimes an alternative drink won't do. Throw in the fact that I live in San Diego which is one of the top craft brew cities in America and it can definitely be tough!

The amount I drink doesn't seem to stall my weight loss or cause any problems so the beer is in my diet to stay :)

Josh1234 09-05-2013 02:26 PM

About one beer a week. And when I drink beer I drink the real stuff, a good beer from a local micro brewer. When it comes to hi-carb stuff I go for quality in place of quantity.

DiamondDeb 09-05-2013 03:23 PM

I've never been a beer-drinker but I have not had any alcohol since the beginning of November last year.

I never made a decision to not drink but I keep deciding I would rather have water or iced tea instead rather than pause my fat-burning until the calories from the alcohol have been burned.

Trigger828 09-06-2013 01:44 AM

I cut back. Didn't give it up. I like beer also. When I do decide it is party time, then I am super careful what foods I eat for that day. It helps keep it all in line for me.

mdog73 09-06-2013 01:50 AM

I drink beer 1 or 2 days a week at the most, sometimes none. It's usually about 3 beers. It's a social thing after work or I probably wouldn't drink at all. It probably slows me down a bit but I don't see a jump after those days.

BABSY 09-06-2013 03:54 AM

I have the solution. Drink red wine or rum instead lol

ArdMaine 09-06-2013 04:07 AM

I don't drink beer, BUT My husband drinks enough for us both. He is Type 1 Diabetic so he drinks Miller Light, I guess it's low-ish carb.

I drink Vodka and Seltzer, but it does slow my losses. I guess I'm ok with it right now.

Mimosa23 09-06-2013 05:19 AM

I quit. If I want a drink, I have a wine and mineral water spritzer or just a glass of wine (dry). Maybe some champagne... I don't really drink a lot anymore. Cutting out beer has certainly helped me stick to plan.

shortcut 09-06-2013 08:45 AM

I still drink 3 or 4 beers in the evening every day. I did switch over to Bud Select 55 and have never had a problem losing weight.
As a very wise person once said: "I could add five years to my life if I gave up beer. But that would just be five more years spent wanting a beer."

BgDogMom 09-07-2013 06:12 AM

I stopped drinking alcohol for the most part since restarting. The rare time I do have a glass of wine or a beer.....I get buzzed off just one, lol. My tolerance obviously is way down :stars:

Z 09-07-2013 06:33 AM

I am restricted to fewer than 20 carbs per day.
2 beers add up to 25 carbs.
1 beer isn't worth drinking.
:)

emel 09-07-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BgDogMom (Post 16593795)
I stopped drinking alcohol for the most part since restarting. The rare time I do have a glass of wine or a beer.....I get buzzed off just one, lol. My tolerance obviously is way down :stars:

Truth.

I always drank really light mixed drinks, but since I've been low-carbing, I had to lighten up even more and/or rotate them with water.
I also need to make sure I have enough food in me to not get goofy on the booze.
I don't think I'm a total lush lol. When I go out, I often stay out for a long time, so I have several glasses of beverage. Usually I go to our moose lodge, and I can keep an eye on how long my bottle lasts. I was happy there last night for 5 1/2 hours playing cards and gambling. I drank 3 oz bourbon in my 5 drinks, plus 2 waters. That included an hour of alcohol-free relaxing and chitchat at the end of the night, for safety and responsibility.

That being said, I'm ready for a bigger push towards losing for September, so I plan on limiting my alcohol nights to just weekends for awhile.

flatferenghi 09-07-2013 02:34 PM

i love beer...a taste i developed in Bavaria years ago.

however, i am too afraid of what beer can do to me, diet or no diet. so, i allow myself 1 good quality beer (imported)at Christmas time. Love & Profits: FLATF

DairyQueen 09-07-2013 06:24 PM

the one thing that i have allowed myself throughout this journey is to be able to have beer/wine/champagne every day. I like Mich Ultra the best (2.6 carbs in a bottle) but I might have Miller Lite (3.2 carbs in a bottle) or Select 55 (1.9 carbs per bottle but yech!).

As long as I can have beer/wine, I am steady and strong, NEVER NEVER NEVER cheat.
dq

3fatcats 09-08-2013 05:29 AM

Thats my struggle right now. I just feel cheated if I have to give up EVERYTHING that I love. I have a stressful job sometimes and need to take the edge offf...running doesn't cut it and I don't have quiet time with 2 kids to "read a book". BUT, then when I do have beer the problem is CONTROL. It's essentially liquid bread, so is it giving me my carb wants, or is it atually to take the edge off? i'm not sure yet.

ueguy1985 09-10-2013 10:29 AM

maybe try some hard booze

I've switched to hard alcohol mixed with club soda or diet soft drinks. The alcohol does slow me down and I can see that on the scale, but I just can't give it up. I also have some Mich Ultras sometimes and Miller Lite isn't much higher in carb for a lot cheaper. Same goes for it's cheaper cousin Miluakee's Best Light.

LJB 09-10-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonmirror (Post 16591391)
I know what I *really* need to do, its just hard. :(

This time of the year is tough since 1, all the Pumpkin spice ales are coming out and they are delicious, and 2, they are cheaper than mixed drinks especially draft beers.:stars:

Also, we are inundated with Football and the unofficial start of "beer and snacks" season. :help:

I guess, pick your drinks wisely and if beer is in the mix..well, try not to do drink so much of it. :)

Kaillean 09-10-2013 10:51 AM

I gave up the booze for my re-induction. Last time around, I rarely drank.

Unfortunately, the alcohol does play havoc with my eczema (dries my skin out) and my weight loss. So it has to go for now.

I do miss my giant frozen margaritas. I have perfected my recipe and it just wouldn't be the same without real lime juice. :cry:

coffeeandcream 01-17-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fatcats (Post 16594931)
Thats my struggle right now. I just feel cheated if I have to give up EVERYTHING that I love. I have a stressful job sometimes and need to take the edge offf...running doesn't cut it and I don't have quiet time with 2 kids to "read a book". BUT, then when I do have beer the problem is CONTROL. It's essentially liquid bread, so is it giving me my carb wants, or is it atually to take the edge off? i'm not sure yet.

I could have written this.

I LOVE my light beer. We have wine and hard alcohol in the house and that doesn't phase me.....I just want my beer....LOL

But it's keeping my weight at a stand still :(

janamonkey 01-17-2014 12:03 PM

I gave up beer. I don't like lite beer at all and prefer the super carby IPAs, etc. I miss it but I hate being fat. So, it's worth it.