Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Goals... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811586-goals.html)

skinni 09-05-2013 09:34 AM

Goals...

Another thread here got me thinking... how, exactly, are we supposed to meet goals?

I mean, if you set a goal to lose 1lb by the end of this week, aren't you basically just crossing your fingers that it happens? There's no way to coach your mitochondria to run faster, darn it (or is there?).

Isn't it just a false psychological boost, in hindsight, to assume you did something right? Isn't it falsely kicking yourself for failing to lose that pound because your body didn't do what you tried to get it to do?

Is it just a motivational trick to keep going? Or do you actually do something besides curse at yourself if you're at the end of the week and up one pound?

moonmirror 09-05-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinni (Post 16591301)
There's no way to coach your mitochondria to run faster, darn it (or is there?).

I love this! :laugh:

Agreed, I think its more like you stick to plan, and let the chips fall where they may without stressing out. It takes as long as it takes.

Kaillean 09-05-2013 09:45 AM

In the past, mini goals have kept me focused on the day to day grind of what I'm trying to achieve. For me thinking 35 or 50 pounds out is too long. I know it's going to take months, so what's the big deal if I cheat once or twice along the way.

By focusing on short term mini goals, I can stay on track easier day to day. It's a lot easier for me to think I want to be in the 100s by October than my goal which will probably be next spring.

It helps me make good choices. Do I really need that extra pork chop today or that extra ounce of cheese or whatever. It's the small, daily decisions that lead to success in my opinion and mini goals can help with that.

suzanneyea 09-05-2013 09:50 AM

I have never set scale goals.

susan41 09-05-2013 09:57 AM

I like the idea of mini goals myself also. Little day goals keep me focused. Is it self trickery? Maybe, but it works for me.

MtherGoos 09-05-2013 10:03 AM

It's all about whatever helps keep you focused and going. For some of us it's scale goals, and for some of us it's NSV's. No, there's no magical way to coax the scale to go down, but as Kaillean said, it can help with your daily decisions if you're striving to reach a certain number on the scale. I think that. like everything else, we each have to find what works for us, and what keeps us motivated and on plan each and every day.

emel 09-05-2013 11:13 AM

I set my goals in terms of behavior or actions.

"I will have induction-style foods for breakfast and lunch, and will include a reasonable OWL choice with dinner today."
"I will have adult beverages no more than twice this week" (I'm in OWL and not in a hurry to lose weight, so I allow adult beverages)

I can't determine how much I'll lose, but if I give it my best, I'll lose the best.

evas 09-05-2013 12:16 PM

The whole point of setting a goal is to work towards it, not just set it and wait and see what happens at the end. Goals serve as motivational tools to work hard; some people need an extra little boost when it comes to motivation and self-accountability can be very helpful in that department.

My goal is to lose 7 lbs. this month and while I can't force my mitochondria to get me there I'm going to work hard and do my best to help them along. Reminding myself of my goal helps to keep me from walking down that grocery store aisle with all the chips and snacks or diving into the ice cream that my roommate brought home. So in that respect goals are valuable to me and helpful.

When I don't meet my goal I don't just curse myself and then go along my merry way, I analyze and then say "what can I do better next time" (meaning my next goal).

I think goals can be valuable or not depending on how you view them and how you work towards them.

Anonymousity 09-05-2013 06:45 PM

I think you're overthinking the concept of having a goal. Is this an avoidance tactic?

Ntombi 09-05-2013 06:50 PM

I don't set weight goals. I set behavioral goals. I can only control my behavior, I can't control how my body reacts to my behavior.

My goals are always to eat on plan, to keep my home stocked with good choices, and to keep my eyes on the prize. And that's what I do.

DiamondDeb 09-05-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16592083)
I don't set weight goals. I set behavioral goals. I can only control my behavior, I can't control how my body reacts to my behavior.

My goals are always to eat on plan, to keep my home stocked with good choices, and to keep my eyes on the prize. And that's what I do.

:goodpost:

Goals need to be achievable. You should be able to clearly see that if do A plus B & you will achieve your goal.

Weight loss is not achievable by doing A plus B. You can do everything right & the scale still might not do what you think it should do. That is the nature of scales.

Goals that are behavior-based and that require us to eat healthy are great for fat-loss. We meet our goals by eating right and doing things that will make that possible. Meeting our behavior-based goals will lead to fat loss, inches lost and, usually, a lower number on the scale - all in their own time.

Olive 09-05-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Ntombi strikes again!

Olive 09-05-2013 09:37 PM

I do better when I'm just focusing on the day to day, eating clean, keeping track but not obsessing. During the fateful last month (began my diet after two years of giving up on myself), more than praying for specific numbers on the scale, I was really becoming aware and conscious about how good LC made me feel. I would read an article on "try these superfoods for better health" and realize I was already eating 98% of them every day. When I finally stepped on the scale and saw the loss after a month, it was so rewarding. My motivation had been health but I was also given hotness :)

mdog73 09-05-2013 10:57 PM

I have goals without a time table. I of course have hopes of losing so much in a certain timeframe but my overall goal is a certain weight. Once I reach that goal I will reassess if that is where I want to be or if I want to go lower. I have had mini-goals from my 235 start, one was 220, then 210, another (my next hopeful goal) is under 200 and my final is 194. Each of those mean something to me. Reaching a mini-goal gives you a sense of accomplishment and hopefully further motivation. Setting timetables can set you me for a let down. I have been pretty much stalled out for about 2 months but at least I am not gaining it back. Those last 10 pounds are proving difficult.

AnnetteW 09-06-2013 04:37 AM

I have no problems setting goals, I just don't let them rule me. I know I won't lose 10 lbs in a month, but I very likely will lose 4, so I make 4 the goal. If I lose 3 instead, hey I was close, if I gain...ha ha...not doing the plan.

I do look at the big picture, but I'm not so far from goal either. I know I'd like to be at goal by the holidays of this year, okay, so 3 more months. I also know I'd like to aim for 4 lbs per month. Plus, I set my scale tracker for only 5 lbs increments, so I only worry about 5 lbs at a time (1/2 lb more and I'll be at one of my 5 lbs goals.)

That way I reach my goals a whole bunch, and lots of positive reinforcement.

Romy 09-06-2013 05:09 AM

My goal is to loose anything during the month, 5 lbs would be great but anything will do. To not cheat, which I have not done since I started July 1. A first for me:jumpjoy:
I know that this time it will happen as on Wednesday, I went to a travel product launch, they served supper and the only thing that I could eat was salads. I tried to put one piece of penne pasta in my mouth but I could not do it. I watched everyone stuff their plates and their mouths with desserts and it did not phase me out. It was making me :sick:

BulldogMom 09-06-2013 06:33 AM

I like to set goals so that I'm not wandering aimlessly. I usually set two goals, one is the weight I know I can achieve in a month based on past experiences and the other is the weight I can achieve if I push myself (no cheating, being diligent at keeping carb counts low etc). If I don't make a goal, then I analyze what I need to improve on. My goals are constantly changing based on what I've learned. This works for me though because I need focus and I'm not beating myself up over failing to make a goal. I just try again.

Aomiel 09-06-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16591488)
I set my goals in terms of behavior or actions.

I can't determine how much I'll lose, but if I give it my best, I'll lose the best.

scalestepper 09-06-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

same with me :goodpost:

emel 09-06-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogMom (Post 16592530)
I like to set goals so that I'm not wandering aimlessly. I usually set two goals, one is the weight I know I can achieve in a month based on past experiences and the other is the weight I can achieve if I push myself (no cheating, being diligent at keeping carb counts low etc). If I don't make a goal, then I analyze what I need to improve on. My goals are constantly changing based on what I've learned. This works for me though because I need focus and I'm not beating myself up over failing to make a goal. I just try again.

I get this.
I have a similar thought in my head--- I'll think about where I'm likely to be in a month. I'm likely to get to 150 by the end of this month. It's a nice thought, and remembering it helps me keep motivated.

Chuck41 09-06-2013 07:43 AM

Goals can be good as motivation to stay on track, but they should not be excuses to beat yourself up over Iimagined "or real" failures. When you have a mental image of yourself at final goal weight, in that tiny swimsuit again, at the size when you got married or graduated from school, it is easy to become impatient. Personally, I celebrate the zeros. 240, then 230, 220, and now looking forward to 210.

More important is the goal of staying on plan today! I don't have the foggiest idea of when or even if I will reach goal weight, but I know every day on plan is helping me toward a happier heathier life.

Patience 09-06-2013 07:52 AM

Chuck, I was just about to post about staying on plan today!
We reach our longer term goals a day at a time, although I think some sense of direction is good too. (for me it will never be fitting into that swimsuit)

girondet 09-06-2013 03:50 PM

I felt the same as you are expressing about setting goals, Skinni. Ultimately I decided my goal was to stick as close to plan as I could and the rest was just hopes. Sometimes I hit long stalls.