Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
More Proof that the scale is a lying wench ...

I finally broke down and weighed myself, midday after eating and consuming 16 oz if water within the hour but still... The scale confirmed that I am where I thought I was 122 lbs... Even allowing for clothes and water 118- 121 lbs... The thing is I am in a smaller size than I have previously been at that weight... Actually the same size as I usually am at my goal weight actually wearing clothes from the good ol days that fit pretty loosly... And my measurements as well are small. I know that it is mostly because of excersize and muscle mass. However it confirms my choice to not weigh too terribly often especially as I am within 10 lbs of my goal. Although I may have to redefine goal, lol! Just another testimony... Inches count more than pounds.
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
YMMV.
I weigh myself daily.
It is one pf the reasons why I can maintain goal weight.
My clothes fit fine, and I love being able to wear the newer 'skinny' styles.
In alot of ways people are not so different, but that doensn't hold for weight and metabolism. What works for one person may not work for another.
I'm glad you found what works for you.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I used to weigh daily but that made me obsessive. Now as long as I feel good and can tell I am losing by the way my clothes fit and measurements I only check in now and then on scale... I am already a healthy weight though so my goal is to have a healthy body composition as well... As I am working on replacing fat with muscle, the scale really isn't the best indicator of process which I should have realized . Lol. When I was overweight and focused on mostly weight loss I weighed more frquently
Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I don't think that means that the scale is lying. The scale weighs everything- muscle, water, bone, fat, etc. You've been exercising and muscle takes up less space than fat so it makes sense that you would be smaller.

I can eat something with a lot of salt and I will gain 5 pounds but my size will be the same.

I've been maintaining for about 5 years now and weighing daily is a huge part of that. When I was gaining weight I tricked myself with the whole "oh these pants shrank in the dryer". So I prefer scale numbers. Also, with vanity sizing nowadays you can probably be gaining weight and keep buying the same sizes because they keep making them bigger. And, I was never able to get consistent numbers on a tape measure because it all depends on how tight you hold it and what exact spot you measure.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 09-05-2013 at 06:51 AM..
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I was thinking the same thing.. Once I'm maintaining I will have to check more often. The thing is, though the scale tells the truth about my weight, it is misleading about my progress... I could become discouraged easily if I only measured my success by those particular numbers ... My point is that when I unhealthily skinny and had no muscle tone I weighed 110-115 and wore a size 2/3 Now I am 120-125 and wear that same thing like identical clothing item, it fits better and my measurements are smaller! So who's to say if the scale read a smaller number I would have actually made more progress... I'd rather have the right results. I honestly believe if I was weighing daily I would freak out tweak my diet become weaker and work out less... Because I've been there and that's Exactly what I did. Lol. I'm only saying there ae different was to measure progress...
Old 09-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I haven't bought any new clothes. I'm simply shopping in my skinny clothes...
Old 09-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I strongly advocate weighing every day, but ALSO learning not to take any day's weight seriously. just graph it and look at the trend line. the scale doesn't lie, if it's a decent one... but there are many factors that contribute to your weight on any given day, only one of which is your fat.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
You know what works best for you and that's all that matters.

I didn't start exercising regularly until goal. It hasn't affected my scale weight but I am more toned.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmarie View Post
I haven't bought any new clothes. I'm simply shopping in my skinny clothes...
Can't argue that if your old clothes fit better you are definitely losing inches despite what the scale may say. I have found the same thing I lose more stomach fat eating low carb. When I was the same weight several years ago I still had lots of stomach fat. I remember someone close to me saying "yeah you have lost weight but your stomach looks the same", that stung.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I guess it just showed me that maybe I need to change what I consider success is all my focus has been all wrong... Which is why I historically get frustrated. I will weigh myself enough to keep tabs.. But if my clothes keep getting looser it's probably not worth obsessing over. As long as I look and feel better i need to learn to be satisfied and start focusing on strength and tone. And sustainability of course!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 3, 2013
I'm another weigh every day person. I can't judge by my clothes. I can wear the same pair of pants within about a 10 lb range, so that doesn't help me.

I have to do a lot of positive self-talk when the numbers go up, but it does keep me accountable. When I start avoiding the scale, bad things happen. I am the Queen of de Nial.

The scale keeps me honest. It was hidden in the closet for a few years and look what happened.
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmarie View Post
I guess it just showed me that maybe I need to change what I consider success is all my focus has been all wrong... Which is why I historically get frustrated. I will weigh myself enough to keep tabs.. But if my clothes keep getting looser it's probably not worth obsessing over. As long as I look and feel better i need to learn to be satisfied and start focusing on strength and tone. And sustainability of course!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/141.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Can't argue that if your old clothes fit better you are definitely losing inches despite what the scale may say. I have found the same thing I lose more stomach fat eating low carb. When I was the same weight several years ago I still had lots of stomach fat. I remember someone close to me saying "yeah you have lost weight but your stomach looks the same", that stung.
RUDE! I can't imagine saying that to someone!
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah it was rude but she was right and I am glad to have found a way to lose fat and not just scale weight.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Still rude and hurtful... Like when you are losing weight and excersizing and think you look good and someone says you don't need to diet anymore... That flab would go away if you went to the gym... Grr... I'm sweating my butt off on a daily basis... Or when they laugh when you tell them what you are doing and they tell you they used to think that works too but they stayed fat till they did x/ y/ z. It's offensive and essentially insulting people suck sometimes!