LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Embarking on year 2 - things I have learned

OK, so I re-started low carbing in August 2012, and by March this year I was down around 70 lbs. Marvellous - wasn't quite at goal, but was back in 'normal' sized clothing and enjoying all the benefits of weight loss. I moved on to pre-maintenance, introduced carrots, peas and some oats to my diet, and was doing well.

In April, I joined a 'bootcamp' thread on another forum, which involved a weekly weigh in. This is where things started becoming difficult for me - I do't have scales at home, but have been spending quite a lot of time at my Dad's, where there are scales - so I dutifully weighed myself every Monday and recorded the results. Big mistake. As soon as started worrying about the number on the scales, I began to obsess - I wanted to see a 'good' result every week. I would lose maybe a pound one week, nothing the next - but I wanted better results. I was unwilling to give up my new foods, so decided to incorporate the 5:2 diet into my low carbing.

Having read that people lose weight successfully simply by following 5:2, without low carbing, I began to think 'well, maybe I can have a potato or two on my 'up' days, and still lose weight'. After all, others were reporting great success even whilst eating a standard diet, so long as they had their two 'down' days a week. Well - this is where I began to lose control. After a year of sticking religiously to low carb foods, I had some bread, some potatoes, cheesecake, chocolate ganache desserts - you get the idea. Suddenly, I was back in the realm of the diet mentality - feeling bad about 'sinning', yet compelled to do it. The number on the scale wasn't moving upwards, but I was forever calculating - plus feeling bloated, and starving on my fast days.

Despite my weight remaining steady, my stomach was bulging again, my second chin returned, I felt lethargic, and hunger was a constant companion. Now, I've always known that maintenance was going to be the hardest part of my weight loss journey (having lost 50 lbs about 8 years ago and then put it all back on plus more!) - but I still managed to convince myself that I could eat higher carb foods - one day - and still succeed. I was wrong.

I suppose I fell off the wagon for around 6 or 7 weeks in total, before it dawned on me that things were not going according to plan! As of September 1st, I am back to my previous WOE - am doing induction for 2 weeks (today is Day 5), and am already feeling the benefits. Stomach has deflated again, energy levels are up, I'm sleeping better, and - thank gawd - I am finally not hungry all the time!

So - from now on - NO more weighing weekly, NO more 5:2, NO more off plan foods, and NO alcohol (always my weak spot!). I should hit goal by Christmas, which will be nice, but - as we all know - I can't control the number on the scales, I can only control what I put in my mouth - so I'm not going to freak out if it takes a bit longer, or even a lot longer - just so long as I continue to eat the way I know I should, I'll get there in the end.

I'm not saying that anyone else should stick to my way of doing this - what works for you, well, works for you. I've just learned what works for me, and what doesn't. I'm just happy that I managed to call a halt before too much damage was done

Here's to the beginning of another great low carb year!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
I am in agreement on your post! The scale puts me into a bad zone and I'm much better off without it. I can't do free/cheat days either. My body feels horrible the day after I carb up.....why would I "allow" myself a day to set myself up to feel bad?
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/245/160
WOE: No Snacking, Moderate Carbs
Start Date: Every Single Day For The Rest Of My Life
Good for you for figuring out what works for you!

I'm doing a weigh every day challenge right now. I'm doing it to watch trends over a month but I'm really only concerned with seeing a lower number at the end of the month than when I started. The scale can make us crazy!
FitMommyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TuesdayBlue
Stats: 222.2/220.4/???Size 10
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 07/14/2014
OMG! I SO needed your post today.

I am at my all time high weight and size and woke up this morning saying "Enough!". But I know myself and I know I have a horrible habit of letting those numbers on the scale determine my success and set my mood for the day. If I know I had an awesome day on plan, why would I get upset if I didn't see a budge in the scale??? Crazy!

You reminded me to focus on my way of eating and how my clothes feel on me.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
TuesdayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Thanks for a timely thread. I was just reading about 5:2 on another thread.
I thought -- potatoes -- no way! Good thing I don't miss them at all.
Happy it works for some folks, but I am guessing not for most on this forum.
For me LC is working and life is good.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/176/135 (5'5", 51 yrs)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: Nov 4, 2014 @ high weight
Great post, thank you. I'm starting to think about these things myself as I get closer to goal. I've lost 30, 40, 55 lbs in the past, but haven't maintained. I don't want to gain again, so I will have to learn to maintain, and that means continuing to live the low carb lifestyle.

Glad you're back on track.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Hi, wishing you all success.
Your post is yet more proof that when it comes to weight control YMMV is the rule.
I weigh myself daily. Same time every morning. I have successfully maintained my goal weight for several months with very little fluctuation. I know my culprits. Right now for me it's peanut butter. Too much and I will gain. So if the scale shows an "up" day, I cut back a little and that's usually all it takes. Withoug having daily weigh ins I wouldn't know which foods have the most effect on me.
But you are doing something that has worked for you and that's all that matters.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Missed you girl! Glad to see you are back in the saddle! Looking forward to seeing your fabulous menus again.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 183.6/168/135
WOE: Low Carb JUDDD
Start Date: 9/14/14
Good for you! Thanks for sharing. I am no where near maintenance, but I think I've finally got it through my thick head that this is NOT a diet, but a WOE. I'm over 3 months in and no cheats; that's a huge victory for me.
Jebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
DarkGinger, thanks so much for writing this. At times I've been tempted to jump from my current WOE to JUDDD --potatoes included-- and I just know it would turn out horrible for me personally, for the same reasons you mentioned. The science and effectiveness of JUDDD, 5:2 and so on is sound, and the LCF'ers who follow it are lovely, but it's just not for me.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebber View Post
Good for you! Thanks for sharing. I am no where near maintenance, but I think I've finally got it through my thick head that this is NOT a diet, but a WOE. I'm over 3 months in and no cheats; that's a huge victory for me.
No kidding huge victory! Haven't seen you in the 72 forum yet? 10Poppies and I are the only peas rattling around in there
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
I'm in the same boat as you... Weighing triggers all sorts of unhealthy behaviors and neurosis in me.. I had to knock it off too. Awesome for getting back on the wagon! You aren't alone... As long as you stay on plan and feel better dont fret... The scale isn't everyone's friend...
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
I have the same problem with scales. I have found that when I weigh each week or daily, I tend to fall off of LC. I have gotten rid of my scale and I'm taking a picture of myself each month instead. For LC to be a lifestyle, I can't be obsessing about it.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
The scale is different to all of us. I lost 50 pounds a few years ago on LC, then started to slide off the wagon. I wouldn't go near the scale, didn't want to know, just kept telling myself I'd get back on the wagon next week. Then next week, etc. etc. Yep, gained it all back and more. Was shocked when I finally did get back on the scale. Then lived w/it till last Feb. when I got back on plan.

Now I weigh myself every morning, first thing. It's my accountability. I don't worry about small fluctuations, and I let my clothes be the major arbitrator of how I'm doing. But for me, I'm never going to turn my back on the scale again. I go into deep denial and carb away. This is always an individual journey, and finding out how we tick when it comes to our woes is better than half the challenge.

Ginger, happy for you that your back on LC, and feeling better. JUDDD would never work for me either. I never want just a little bit of carbs, I want lots of carbs. Steady, simple, good LC foods are what works for me. I can do the very occasional treat with no harm, and that's good, but that's it for me.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MeTooooo
Hi DG always good to "see" you! You've done so well with low carb my friend. Keep up the good work! Like yourself, the only way I can get lean is utter faithfulness to LC.
MeTooooo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Hey Darkginger. Good to see you back!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Wanted to chime in and say "Welcome back!"

I had the same issues when I joined a weight loss challenge in one of the other forums.
Horrible for me. I became slavish to the scale. Even started playing little tricks with my diet to make the scale numbers look better on weigh in days (learned a lot of those in my old Weight Watcher days).

However- the good news about mistakes is- they create huge learning opportunities! Now I know that I can only weigh once a week, and nobody gets to know the numbers but me.

Best of luck in your continued journey, Dark Ginger,

Gabby
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:50 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Thanks all, it's good to be back - Day 12 today and all is going well - apart from some (TMI!) serious constipation which, thankfully, I managed to sort out with over the counter meds I'm feeling MUCH lighter this morning Not touched a drop of alcohol since I re-started, and I'm sure that's doing me the world of good.

I've started my food diary again, which helps me stay on track (although I refuse to count anything, I just eat low carb foods - meat, fish, eggs, cheese and leafy green things, mostly). Just had eggs, bacon and mushrooms for breakfast, will be having a slice of 'pizza flavoured' (ie peppers, mushrooms, olives, pepperoni, cherry tomatoes) crustless quiche for lunch, and then steak and kidney stew cooked in the slow cooker for dinner, probably with some buttered cauliflower and broccoli. Life is good!
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: makeamove
Stats: 172/164/125
Start Date: Dec 5, 2011
Definitely a post I needed to wake up to this morning! Thanks.
makeamove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: idioglossic
Stats: 179/148/140 5'2"
WOE: Stillmans, low carb, low fat, low sodium, 2 meals
Start Date: August 29, 2004/Restart July 28, 2013
Hey Darkginger, we lost together. . . carbs are nasty and make me fat. . . I am back and on my way down... Wonderful to see you here!
idioglossic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Thanks for sharing your journey, and congrats on finding what works for you. As another poster said, mistakes create learning opportunities!

I have read a few anecdotal stories of women for whom intermittent fasting turned out to do a number on their hormonal balance. It probably depends on a lot of factors like genetics, age, health, etc. I know it wouldn't work for me at this stage, that's for sure.

Thanks for sharing!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote