Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Do you ever chew things and then spit them out? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811540-do-you-ever-chew-things-then-spit-them-out.html)

gordita 09-04-2013 01:36 PM

Do you ever chew things and then spit them out?

Kind of a weird question, but do you ever do this? Take a bite of something to taste it, but then spit it out? I was making a new cookie recipe today, and I took a bite, chewed, spit, and rinsed. I've done this many times before, but then today thought maybe it was kind of odd.

Mainly I do it to taste something I'm making if I'm not eating it, or don't want to have to count the calories of it (they can add up depending on what you're making and how many times you taste it). A couple times I did it to taste something I couldn't eat (like a cookie). I'm not entirely fond of it, because part of getting past the craving for something is to keep it off your taste buds.

Emily-D 09-04-2013 01:43 PM

I don't do that, but I wanted to mention that you're still getting some of the carbs that way.

flatferenghi 09-04-2013 02:02 PM

not with other people about.

i ordered a lamb gyro. i took a bite of the pita, chewed and spat. my curiosity was satisfied; no harm, no foul. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

gordita 09-04-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily-D (Post 16589949)
I don't do that, but I wanted to mention that you're still getting some of the carbs that way.

I would guess you do with something like a cookie, as it sticks to the teeth. It's nearly impossible to rinse that all out. I don't know about other things, though - like sauces and the like?

Dottie 09-04-2013 02:15 PM

According to Dr. Atkins, your blood sugar responds the second you taste it, so it doesn't matter how quick you spit it out, your body knows it's there.

Ntombi 09-04-2013 02:19 PM

And because we're omnivores, we have amylase in our saliva, which exists to break down carbohydrates into simpler sugars for digestion. I remember in a science class in middle school, we held a saltine cracker in our mouth for a while without chewing, and it started to taste sweet, because it was breaking down into sugar in our mouth. I loved hands on science. :)

Anyway, no, I don't do that, but I wouldn't freak about the small amount of carbs you're digesting because of it.

Aomiel 09-04-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16590000)
According to Dr. Atkins, your blood sugar responds the second you taste it, so it doesn't matter how quick you spit it out, your body knows it's there.

Yep...this follows what Bernstein teaches as well.

Patience 09-04-2013 03:27 PM

I've done this when I take a drink of somthing I think is unsweetened and is sweetened.
Happens rarely. I wouldn't do it in public, but I would consider it.

llisarray 09-04-2013 04:39 PM

I do it quite often when I'm cooking something that I can't be sure of the seasoning or the doneness of.

Spanilingo 09-04-2013 04:41 PM

No. Seems kind of icky LOL.

But it is a pretty common practice for people with eating disorders. See that on TV all the time.

suzanneyea 09-04-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanilingo (Post 16590202)
No. Seems kind of icky LOL.

But it is a pretty common practice for people with eating disorders. See that on TV all the time.

Yup

nolcjunk 09-04-2013 06:25 PM

Yes, I do it when I'm cooking something that I don't like or won't be eating and want to make sure it's good/seasoned correctly.

I think there are two methods of this- the chef way where you taste for doneness/taste and spit out once, and the eating disordered way where people will "eat" an entire meal this way and chew/spit it all out.

Mistizoom 09-04-2013 07:11 PM

Here's another thread on this from a few months ago: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...it-method.html. The consenus seemed to be it is not a good habit to get into.

kittycitygirl 09-04-2013 07:58 PM

Only a few times over many years when by habit I tasted something, licked a spoon, etc.

gordita 09-04-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16590431)
Here's another thread on this from a few months ago: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...it-method.html. The consenus seemed to be it is not a good habit to get into.

Thanks for the link.

I think the weirdness/difficulty for me comes when I'm tasting something I wouldn't eat (like a dessert). I've heard of the blood sugar response from tasting, and even smelling (argh), and that is more concerning to me than ingested carb remnants or calories. If it is something I'm eating, it worries me less.

JennyBell 09-06-2013 11:58 AM

Gary Taubes

According to Gary Taubes, Insulin is released as soon as you "THINK" about carbohydrates. Then again once it is swallowed.

Olive 09-06-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyBell (Post 16593034)
According to Gary Taubes, Insulin is released as soon as you "THINK" about carbohydrates

Well, I'm screwed :rofl:

Aomiel 09-07-2013 07:19 AM

Seriously...remember ever saying you gain weight just from smelling food? Well studies show that's not too far off base. As soon as we smell food, the body starts pushing insulin in preparation for eating. Can we say 'fat storage'? :/

Dottie 09-07-2013 10:34 AM

And this is why cinnabon stands should be outlawed at the malls :laugh:

flatferenghi 09-07-2013 11:21 AM

and yet, people DO manage to lose weight!

If what these Drs say is always true, i would be 800 lbs by now. my most recent weight is 317 down from an all time worst of 378.8 I am proud of that! FF

Avicenna 09-07-2013 01:46 PM

I don't think it's odd. I've done it when baking with sugar (for other people) when I didn't want to go down the path of eating "just a little" (which might lead to a little more, and then a little more), while, at the same time, I wanted to make sure that it tasted ok before giving it to them.

Trigger828 09-07-2013 02:03 PM

I did a long time ago. I was one step from going into the bad zone. Did some throwing up on purpose and chewed/spit food. Lost good weight fast and then I realized real quick what a moron I was and how fast this was going to go down a bad road.

so for me it wasn't about taste testing, it was about weight loss and eating disorder on the cusp.

I stopped cold turkey. Went on a 'diet' and lost the rest of the weight and never will I do the chew/spit only cause I am afraid it could trigger some worse things to come.

If I taste something, I swallow it. just keep it small and to me it isn't a big foul at all.
I do allow myself some foods to pass these lips that aren't 'favorable lc' fare.

Kismet311 09-07-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16594151)
And this is why cinnabon stands should be outlawed at the malls :laugh:

Yes, and it doesn't help if you stand in front of if it sniffing the air (yes, i've done that ) LOL