Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
High(er) fat

Seems to be working well for me in so far as no binging and minimal hunger outside of meals, but it is giving me terrible reflux that wakes me during the night. It was so bad last night I felt nauseated as well. I know I can take zantac or something but don't know if that is a good idea. Any suggestions other than lower the fat intake?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
How close to bedtime are you having the fat?
Are you eating fat by itself, or just with meals?

The only time I had a problem I was eating it alone right before bed (shangri-la style)
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Hmm, I keep hearing this lately. Sorry, I don't know what to do. I have read it takes time for the digestive enzymes to build up to be able to digest it.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm always reading posts about 'listening to one's body,' and this is a case where that's exactly what I do.

It may be due to my age because I've read that the inability to tolerate high fat eating is common in 'older' females, but my body simply doesn't tolerate high fat eating well.

When I first experienced this problem (and was having serious difficulties) my gastroenterologist advised that rather than taking anything to try to alleviate the situation, it's far better to simply eat lower fat. All my digestive problems were resolved with low-fat eating.

I've been low carbing for more than seven years now, and at first I ate low fat and gradually I could eat moderate fat--which is what I do now. I lost all my weight and have been maintaining for three years eating this way.

Since I'm hypothyroid, I have labs done every four months, and all my numbers are superb. At age 72, the only Rx I take are my thyroid hormones, so obviously there's no problem with my WOE.

I know this doesn't address your question, Jeanie, but personally I've found protein to be far more satiating than fat. In fact, early on in my low-carb eating [when I was much younger and tolerated fat better], I tried the Atkins fat fast because I am so metabolically resistant--and I was ravenously hungry eating 90% fat. When I moved on to ProteinPower and simply focused on my daily protein intake, I was much more satisfied and lost well.

I realize this is only one person's experience, but I'm posting to insure that our LCF realize that 'high fat' isn't the only way to low carb.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yes, digestive enzymes are the way to go. If you take anti acids, it may prolong it. Took me at least 2wks. of cessation of OTC to get things improved and longer to be entirely free. I think Chris Kresser has some good info about it on his blog.

Last edited by clackley; 09-04-2013 at 09:19 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
How close to bedtime are you having the fat?
Are you eating fat by itself, or just with meals?
Yes, this...and how high fat are you eating? Since I control both protein and carbs, my fats are running lately between 70-80% and I'm not slathering fats on everything. It's just BPC with 2 Tbs butter, cooking eggs in 8 grams of butter, a few slices of bacon and then maybe a couple Tbs of mayo in deviled eggs (said eggs also high in fat) or in a full fat dressing.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't know the percentage I don't track. Typical day as of late looks like this:

Coffee w/light cream 3 cups

Hamburger w/ cheddar cheese

Chuck roast

Chicken thighs

Eggs fried in butter or hard boiled eggs

Occasionally I will make a mayo/mustard dip for the h.boiled eggs

Small salads w/romaine,olives,cukes and ranch dressing (not everyday)
Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/127/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Jeanie, maybe it is the acidity from the coffee. I would cut down on quantity.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Please no not my coffee I have always drank that amount of coffee would the acidity be different in the high fat diet.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Yes, digestive enzymes are the way to go. If you take anti acids, it may prolong it. Took me at least 2wks. of cessation of OTC to get things improved and longer to be entirely free. I think Chris Kresser has some good info about it on his blog.
I don't use antacids regularly. My take on Kresser's blog was the enzymes were for folks weaning off the OTC products??
Old 09-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Chatty Cathy

I don't think that the enzymes are only or that group.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/127/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Please no not my coffee I have always drank that amount of coffee would the acidity be different in the high fat diet.
I am not sure, Jeanie
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Add the fat is more slowly. Just let your body adjust.

You're better off eating what your body can tolerate than adding antacids or such.

I had problems at first (doing this now strictly for 4+ months) and I'm at the point where I'm actually craving fats. And I used to get upset tummy from them. It just takes awhile to adjust.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I don't think that the enzymes are only or that group.
So you just used the enzymes for a while and now you don't need them anymore? Can you recommend a brand? Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Add the fat is more slowly. Just let your body adjust.

You're better off eating what your body can tolerate than adding antacids or such.

I had problems at first (doing this now strictly for 4+ months) and I'm at the point where I'm actually craving fats. And I used to get upset tummy from them. It just takes awhile to adjust.
Probably should have gone more slowly but was desperate to end 2 days of carb binging. Today I have hardly had an appetite at all and so very little food overall and so far no reflux. Usually if it is going to be bad during the night it will start bothering me mid day. Not sure how I will handle tomorrow when my appetite is bound to be back.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-04-2013 at 05:35 PM..
Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Anyone had any luck with the ACV?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
Chatty Cathy

I used the Costco brand and I still use it regularly but in smaller amounts. I never get acid reflux but want to keep it that. It is also good for elimination if you get my drift.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

So any brand with HCL pepsin? Should I try it initially on a weekend when I am home or do you think it is well tolerated.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I would cut back and give your body time to adjust. Don't eat a bunch at one time. When I started with coconut oil I had a terrible time with nausea. Now I have my BPC with 4 tbls of coconut oil and 1 tbls butter. I have been doing the high fat thing for several years now. I just had an evening snack that was high fat. I love plain pork rinds with melted butter drizzled over them and stevia and cinnamon sprinkled over it all. And I had a small dish of full fat frozen yogurt that was made with peanut butter and dark chocolate chunks. It is rare that I ever snack in the evening but for some reason I felt hungry this evening. Yep, I'm one of those delusional people who "listens" to her body! lol. It works for me.
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri f View Post
I would cut back and give your body time to adjust. Don't eat a bunch at one time. When I started with coconut oil I had a terrible time with nausea. Now I have my BPC with 4 tbls of coconut oil and 1 tbls butter. I have been doing the high fat thing for several years now. I just had an evening snack that was high fat. I love plain pork rinds with melted butter drizzled over them and stevia and cinnamon sprinkled over it all. And I had a small dish of full fat frozen yogurt that was made with peanut butter and dark chocolate chunks. It is rare that I ever snack in the evening but for some reason I felt hungry this evening. Yep, I'm one of those delusional people who "listens" to her body! lol. It works for me.
I am trying to listen
Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Quote:
Anyone had any luck with the ACV?
I have. For me it works really fast!

What has also helped is increasing the amount of fermented foods/probiotic foods I consume. And of course no chemically produced items such as fake sugar...

All in all, I have had 1 bout of heartburn since I really became strict and consistent with my foods. And I eat a LOT of fat and I drink coffee...
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #22
Chatty Cathy

I agree with the fermented foods suggestion. Just make sure they are the real thing rather than stuff with vinegar etc.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I had to back off of some fat intake because it was too greasy and made me feel ill.
Bacon is big culprit. I love the taste of it, and can eat it once in a while if it's cooked really well, but otherwise my innards will be screaming.
I sometimes think that we here at LCF over do the 'eat high fat' recommendation.
Yes if we are truly low carb, we need to burn fat as fuel, but it may not take as much as you think. I trust my body and listen to it. If something doesn't agree with me I reduce or eliminate it.
I just got my blood work back. It was a very complete profile, not just lipids. All my values are excellent including cholesterol levels, enzymes, hormones, sugar etc.
I am low carb but not in ketosis (close but no cigar)...moderate fat, and lots of veggies.
So YMMV. How you feel, look, and test are the guidelines I suggest.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #24
Chatty Cathy

Avid, great to hear you are continuing to do really well!

I think your opinion is quite valid for those that it works for but many of us have to be ketogenic which requires a higher fat diet just to ward off cravings. There are a number of other issues that also play into the amount of fat in the woe.

For me, being a postmeno, 50+ woman, with a dieting history that started before I hit full adulthood, my issues and subsequent woe are different from many others here. Even if this were not true, I am an advocate of nutrtional ketosis for over all health and that requires a higher fat woe.

Grease (in my humble opinion) is what I wash away from my home and my person and is not part of my menu, where as fat is what I eat and what keeps me healthy. Despite the fact that I love veggies, they must be closely restricted as they bring along carbs and bloat. YMMV.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes I have finally gotten in through my head that I have to eat high fat to ward off the cravings that lead to carb binges. I love most veggies and especially the fresh produce that is in season now but they just don't satisfy for me long.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
I have. For me it works really fast!

What has also helped is increasing the amount of fermented foods/probiotic foods I consume. And of course no chemically produced items such as fake sugar...

All in all, I have had 1 bout of heartburn since I really became strict and consistent with my foods. And I eat a LOT of fat and I drink coffee...
I have some of the Bragg's with the mother. Did you just take it when you had reflux or would it work as a preventative?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
You probably have hiatal hernia. (Lots of people do.) The thing to do is take Pepcid to lower your acid output and sleep more upright. However, if you'd rather not do either of those things, at least sleep on your left side. It reduces the amount of reflux.
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
I used to get heartburn all the time, no matter what I ate (or the type of diet). Since giving up coffee, I no longer get heartburn. Except for my Day 8 hiccup from yesterday

Try going without coffee for only 3 days and see if you notice a difference. I noticed it within 24 hours.
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Quote:
I have some of the Bragg's with the mother. Did you just take it when you had reflux or would it work as a preventative?
I take it three times a day as a health tonic: 1TB of ACV in a bit of water, drink up quickly, and then another big sip of water to get rid of the shivers, LOL! I drink mine 30 minutes before any potential food.

Then, when I do have an accute flare up, I take a quick shot when the symptoms occur. This usually works within 15 minutes!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Mimosa.