Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
I was on acid-lowering meds for decades. Had HORRIBLE reflux and heartburn..continuously. My naturopath explained to me that suppressing stomach acid is exactly the wrong thing to do because it prolongs the amount of time food is in the stomach. Increasing the acid actually resolves heartburn.

Now, I take betaine/HCL tablets and a digestive enzyme with pretty much every meal. Been doing this for years and I doubt I'll be able to stop because of my long-term history of acid suppression plus the fact I'm now pushing 60 and post-menopause, when stomach acid is normally reduced, especially in women.

I eat a keto style diet, with about 80% of my calories from fat and I'm thriving on it. However, I don't think I could do it without the betaine/hcl and enzyme supplements. The nice thing is, when I originally started on that regime, all heartburn/reflux went away after about a month and I haven't had any since. Whew! It's so nice not to wake up choking at night from bad reflux. I do have a hiatal hernia which makes everything worse, but taking the acids and enzymes makes the food process through better so it doesn't impact my sleep any more.

Of course, YMMV!
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
The folk wisdom in my family has always been to drink a couple of tbs of apple cider vinegar every morning. Their logic was it would help digest the food better, which reduces the need for the stomach to produce so much acid. It sound counterintuitive, but they swear by it.

Lately i have been drinking a small bit of Kombucha tea in the mornings - there are several flavored bottled varieties from GT that are really good tasting. I drink about a half cup of their Gingerade most mornings and my stomach feels great on it.
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Something with a bit of fibre in it helps me digest the fat without getting acid reflux. You could try that too.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote