Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What do you all do when you're sick? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811265-what-do-you-all-do-when-youre-sick.html)

luckymuma 09-01-2013 06:49 PM

What do you all do when you're sick?

I've got a cold, particularly nasty, sore throat, body aches and pains, glands up :( pre LC I would do only natural things like honey lemon and ginger drinks. They are out now. The only neurofen I have in has the sweet white coating, which contains sugar. I can't take panadol/paracetamol ( not sure what its called in the USA?).

I don't feel much like eating or drinking...but am going to try a BPC....just wants squishy sweet cold things to eat...not many of those will be low carb, and contain protein.... So what do you do?

Ntombi 09-01-2013 06:59 PM

I have chicken broth or egg drop soup, with lots of ginger and garlic in it. Super simple, and really comforting. When I start feeling up to it, I'll add a bit of chicken and a few veggies to the soup.

Ntombi 09-01-2013 07:00 PM

Hope you feel better! :hugs:

JMacB 09-01-2013 07:50 PM

Hot soup and tea, and I add coconut oil to them. Last winter I got a cold that I treated with hot chicken broth doctored up with sriracha sauce and it was so yum.

luckymuma 09-01-2013 08:19 PM

Ofcourse! Chicken broth! I have two roast chook carcasses in the freezer! If I get them out now , I can make a 24hr stock ready by lunch tomorrow!

Thanks Ntombi and JmacB :)

shortcut 09-02-2013 04:26 AM

Not sure how you feel about them, but I keep a few of those EAS protein shakes around for just such occasions. It's about the only time I drink them.

suzanneyea 09-02-2013 04:50 AM

Depends how sick. I usually allow diet ginger ale. But, I have also eaten off plan when really sick. My son loves this and finds it very amusing since I am normally very rigid with my diet.

Spanilingo 09-02-2013 07:11 AM

I am not carb sensitive nor gluten free so Kinda agree with Suzann ....my goal is to feel 100% quickly. i eat crackers and soup. Saltier the better. Soothes my stomach and really the carb coubt is not extrordinary. 1/2 can of real gingerale. Even eating off plan when sick my carbs never really went over 40-70 which is still acceptable.

Olive 09-02-2013 01:13 PM

Why can't you do ginger?? :confused:

Ntombi 09-02-2013 02:42 PM

I do diet ginger ale.

I don't do carbs when I'm sick for a couple of reasons. One, I don't need them to feel better; there are LC foods that do the job. Two, if I eat carbs, I get a stomachache (I'm not gluten sensitive or anything, but after I've been in ketosis for a while, my stomach reacts to simple carbs), so that would defeat the purpose! Three, if I eat carbs, I'll be kicked out of ketosis and have to start the process of keto-adaptation all over again. No thanks.

I have had surgery and been in the hospital and stayed on plan and in ketosis. I don't see the point of doing otherwise while I'm home with a cold.

suzanneyea 09-02-2013 03:15 PM

I have had surgery and stayed on plan. But, a bad cold is harder for me, lol.

Ntombi 09-02-2013 03:19 PM

We're all different.

I reread my post, and it came off as more judgmental than I feel. I was only explaining my reasoning, not trying to say anything about anyone else's choices.

dgidaho 09-02-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16586367)
We're all different.

I reread my post, and it came off as more judgmental than I feel. I was only explaining my reasoning, not trying to say anything about anyone else's choices.

Ntombi--you didn't sound judgmental. You give lots of good advice, support, and encouragement to all. I, for one, understood what you said as being your choice--and very reasonable advice for those who want to avoid a setback. :hugs:

Luckymuma--I am sorry you feel bad. That's the pits! When I feel bad, I have broth too. It's easy to prepare and comforting. That's a great idea to make a big pot for yourself! You can use it for other some other yummy recipes once you are on your feet again. (if there's any left.... :) ) Until it's ready, you could have some canned broth or bouillon. I frequently add helpful spices (cayenne helps open the sinuses, etc.) and drop some eggs and/or vegetables in it when I need more substance.

Get well soon!

suzanneyea 09-02-2013 05:05 PM

Ntombi , you never sound judgmental!

Ntombi 09-02-2013 05:43 PM

You guys are sweet. :)

suzanneyea 09-02-2013 05:46 PM

No, you are sweet. I lean towards mean and judgmental, lol

avid 09-02-2013 05:54 PM

Chicken broth is tops.
All kinds of teas both herbal and green and black.
I use a zinc lozenge whenever i feel cold like symptoms. Cold eze is the brand I use.
Works well IMHO to ward off a cold that's coming on, or ease the symptoms of one that's already hit.
then the standard advice like lots of fluids and rest....LOTS of fluids and extra sleep.
I hate that sick feeling and want it over with ASAP....feel better soon.

luckymuma 09-02-2013 09:08 PM

Thankyou all so very much! You guys are wonderful!! Well my stock is finally ready, and I've just had a big bowl unskimmed ( I generally chill and skim when I use it for the kids as they say it's too fatty) with lots of aromatics in. It was soooo very good! It's like health in a bowl! I have enough to have several more big bowls as well...next one I will make more Asian/pho like...but no noodles...just for a change. It even soothed my throat...which is so very sore...glands up everywhere :( can't do much with the extra sleep as my partner is away at the moment, so am solo parenting my three kids ( homeschooled), but can do fluids. I haven't gone off plan yet either....so all good!

micheleredit 09-04-2013 09:09 AM

Ginger Tea and lemon tea????

Key Tones 09-04-2013 09:39 AM

I'm doing moderate carbs and paleo, so if I had to stop an episode of intestinal or stomach upset, I would go for the safe starches out of the BRAT diet.

Bananas
Rice (safe starch)
Applesauce
T = Toast, which is not paleo, so I would skip this one.

I suppose a chicken broth with some rice in it would be my go-to.

I have learned that the processed carbs are the problem for me.

Arctic_Mama 09-04-2013 12:09 PM

When I'm sick I stay on plan. There are low of low carb foods that are cold and soft, or easy to digest. Adding carb stomach issues and headaches to an already sick body always seemed like a terrible idea to me :)

Skinny Train 09-04-2013 12:44 PM

Chicken broth with cilantro, onion, fresh jalapeņo, and mushrooms. Also, rinse sinuses with uniodized salt dissolved into distilled water. Distilled water must be used as tap water is unsafe for this. Hope you feel better! Also, NSAIDs are helpful if you have access and can take them. i. e. Advil

Emily-D 09-04-2013 02:41 PM

I have a question for those of you who have had surgery and stayed on plan. How do you do that if you're not able to eat or drink for a few days and are getting all your nutrition through an IV?

Arctic_Mama 09-05-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily-D (Post 16589946)
I have a question for those of you who have had surgery and stayed on plan. How do you do that if you're not able to eat or drink for a few days and are getting all your nutrition through an IV?

If I'm sick enough that I need an IV I just don't sweat it. Request diabetic accommodations and they can oftentimes do electrolytes and lower sugar, but if it is really beyond your control there's no use worrying about it. Just get right back on plan at your first opportunity. Ordering LC off the hospital cafeteria menu is really quite easy, and a few days of an IV is just a fact of life sometimes :hugs:

Ntombi 09-05-2013 06:02 PM

Yes, I request the diabetic IV solution (which still has some glucose), and then just eat the best I can while I'm there. I was still in ketosis when I got home, so I didn't sweat it.

Hospitalizations and surgeries are a fact of life for me, so I just have to deal with it the best I can.

suzanneyea 09-06-2013 03:35 AM

I have had two hospital stays that I could not eat for a week. At that point, I did not care about the iv.

Chuck41 09-06-2013 08:19 AM

Goal #1, get well! Colds/flu sucks and you shouldn't feel worse about the things you need to do to get over it. I use sugar free lozenges, stay on plan as much as comfortably possible and don't sweat the small stuff! Praise God for chicken soup!

Lola Bartez 09-06-2013 08:48 AM

It's a good idea to have chicken soup (or whatever it is you like to eat when ill) ready made in the freezer to use in an emergency. When you're ill and you don't feel up to cooking you have a nourishing meal to hand. I learnt this as a single girl - it's best to be prepared for illness when there's nobody else there to cook for you