LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Near goal and losing motivation?

Anyone else struggle to stay motivated when they get close to their goal? I began this journey on 1 January and stayed strong and motivated for the first 6 months. I lost 50 lbs and was within 10 lbs of my goal weight of 160 lbs (went from a size 18 to a size 10). I only had a few minor off plan treats (most of them were planned) during that time. For the last two months I have not lost any additional weight and I keep gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. I've eaten off plan mainly during the weekends and then panic when the scale shows a gain. I would then be really good for a few days to get back down and then the cycle begins again. I think part of it is that I feel good at this size and I convince myself I can get away with eating more carbs now. I've also been crazy busy lately with two sons in football and I have let them be my excuse to make poor food choices. I want to get to my goal weight and maybe even a little less to have a few pound buffer for when I officially switch to maintenance. I am hoping September will be better than the last two months! Any else struggle like this once you get closer to goal? If so, any tips?

When you think about quitting, stop and remember why you started!!!

If you wanna fly, you have to give up that crap that weighs you down!

2013 Weight
1/1: 220, 2/1: 202, 3/1: 196, 4/1: 188, 5/1: 180, 6/1: 175, 7/1: 171, 8/1: 173, 9/1: 173, 10/1: 180, 11/1: 185, 12/1: 182
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2bfitb440
Stats: 207/186.6/150
WOE: Started w Atkins/Now LC Fast5
Start Date: 07/15/2013/09/30/2013
I can relate to what you are saying. I have been close to goal quite a few times... I think the psychology is similar to the same feelings/issues that cause people (me) to gain back the weight also. Sometimes I think I'm subconsciously afraid to achieve my goal. I think once I figure that out, the loss will stick better.
2bfitb440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bfitb440 View Post
I can relate to what you are saying. I have been close to goal quite a few times... I think the psychology is similar to the same feelings/issues that cause people (me) to gain back the weight also. Sometimes I think I'm subconsciously afraid to achieve my goal. I think once I figure that out, the loss will stick better.
Yes, agree! I've struggled with my weight the last 15 years and spent the last decade over 200 lbs. It was only last week that I finally started getting rid of my bigger clothes and it freaked me out a little because I feared I may need them again. By getting rid of them finally I am beginning to believe I will never be that size again.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Why not try to maintain for a while? That will give your brain a chance to catch up with your new body, and let you practice and learning how to maintain your weight without constantly going off plan and panicking.

If you give yourself that permission to simply maintain for a couple of months, I bet you'd be ready to lose again, or maybe decide you really are good where you are, without feeling like you're settling.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Lady
WOE: Low carb
[QUOTE=Julie1972;16585177] I think part of it is that I feel good at this size and I convince myself I can get away with eating more carbs now.

You can and should get away with more carbs now. Just the right kind of carbs, in the right amounts for your body in pre-maintenance. You are now practicing for lifetime maintenance. Find out all the delicious foods you now can have and still lose at a snails pace, or even maintain awhile. Eating high carb or unhealthy foods on the weekends is practice for gaining it all back. And shouldn't even be an option, in my opinion.
Texas Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Can I ask what weight you're aiming for? Like is the weight you are aiming for realistic for you height? I'm not talking BMI stuff, but are you aiming for a size or weight that is easy to achieve or maintain? I agree with Ntombi about maintaining your current weight, accepting that may be your set point weight...see how it is to live that weight.
I also like what Texaslady has to say about eating the right kind of carbs. You have done so well, that is an awesome achievement! Hold onto THAT rather than the sadness or issue about not being the weight you set yourself to get to xxx
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
I agree with Ntombi as well. Take the pressure off and practice maintaining.

After some time, I'll bet you will either be ready to tackle those last few pounds, or that you feel happy and healthy where you are and you like the freedom of more carbs .
And, either way is the right choice if that's where you feel best.

Congratulations on the impressive loss!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the replies. Switching to maintenance is not my goal at this time. I want to reach my goal weight and then figure out what maintenance will be for me. I have just been struggling with motivation the last two months and was looking for things that have worked for others. Thanks though.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I can relate to what you are saying. I am so close to goal I can taste it. I have decided to maintain for a while and I don't feel as stressed. If the last few pounds come off great, if not, that is fine too.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
I understand Julie. The last few pounds are always the hardest for me as well, in the beginning I can get away with little indiscretions without lasting consequences, not the case closer to goal. When I was at my goal in 2010 it wasn't until the last 5-7 pounds that I lost the stubborn lower ab fat which was a goal of mine.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I had it happen to me too. I think for me it was mostly ok, I'm not so fat anymore so I can eat this or that or overeat and I lost focus for a little bit.
So I just restarted my plan and dropped all the extras and stuck with meat, vegetables, eggs, and a little bit of cheese to get my head back into the losing game.

Another big thing for me was that I wanted to cross "losing weight" off my list for good. When I gained and I got fat I was consumed with my body and how it felt and how I looked in clothes and all of my bulges and rolls. Then I was losing and was concentrating on the positive changes. But, really I just wanted to be done with it all. To just wake up day in and day out and be happy with my body and not be thinking about losing weight.

I also wanted to wear all of the clothes in my closet and getting to goal allowed me to do that since everything fit and I didn't have to try stuff on and check if it made me look fat or I had a muffin top, etc.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I can't remember who said it in another thread, but I thought it was the best advice ever...think of this as practice for maintenance.

Let's face it, unless you want to be in this same boat a year from now, you need to hang on to that motivation long term, for the rest of your life. Forget the worrying about that last 10 pounds. Just continue on with what you're doing. It will either come off or it won't. Remember...it's just a number on a scale.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
[quote=Texas Lady;16585286]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1972 View Post
I think part of it is that I feel good at this size and I convince myself I can get away with eating more carbs now.

You can and should get away with more carbs now. Just the right kind of carbs, in the right amounts for your body in pre-maintenance. You are now practicing for lifetime maintenance. Find out all the delicious foods you now can have and still lose at a snails pace, or even maintain awhile. Eating high carb or unhealthy foods on the weekends is practice for gaining it all back. And shouldn't even be an option, in my opinion.
That is fabulous advice, and I will remember that as I get closer to my goal. Thanks!
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Romy
Stats: 164/142.5/120-130
WOE: LC
Start Date: July1,2013
Happened to me, 6 lbs. to goal doing Herbal Magic and I thought I could do it on my own. After spending so much money and regaining all the weight plus 10 more. Was I STUPID STUPID STUPID . This time will stick to LC and still enjoy the foods that I love but staying within my carb counts and making desserts low carb so that I don't feel left out.

Keep yourself motivated somehow, look at your before picture every morning, afternoon and night and never allow yourself to go down that road again as it gets harder and harder to loose as we get older.
Romy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
Start Date: April 2013 restart
Your 'goal' is your choice. If you, for some unknown reason, can't motivate yourself to lose more, maybe this is where your 'goal' should be ? Maybe you are actually happy with this size ? I struggle with this constantly. I'm pretty dang happy with where I'm at right now, but I haven't reached my goal. I'm still 'obese' .... Then again, my satisfaction is coming from the fact that I am in control now I have actually realized that I can go a looong time without eating and I won't starve ! I LOVE lc. Lol !
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote