Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   After the first month....... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811226-after-first-month.html)

BgDogMom 09-01-2013 07:04 AM

After the first month.......

How much does the weigh loss slow down to? I lost an even 20 lbs for August. I know that rate can't last so maybe 2 to 3 lbs a week now?

And does the exercising get easier now that my body has been using fat for energy? My workouts are still hard to get thru, but that may be due to the low calorie intake. I'm just not hungry.

Aomiel 09-01-2013 07:08 AM

It varies by the individual but 20 pounds for the month is phenomenal! WTG! :clap:

The best way, I've found, to keep from being disappointed and frustrated is to just accept that "it is what it is". Make sure your carbs don't creep and that you aren't overeating (meaning eating for reasons other than hunger) and just accept what you lose as normal for you. If you stop losing for 6 weeks, then start looking at tweaking (which you really only can do effectively if you're keeping track right along).

BgDogMom 09-01-2013 07:25 AM

Oh, and how much does one need to lose before it's noticeable??? I mean I'm down 20, not one person other than my husband and daughter have noticed. Seems like someone else would notice!

Patience 09-01-2013 07:29 AM

Only one person has noticed my 20 pounds, and I sort of enticed that out of her.
I will see my daughter later this month for the first time since January, so will be interesting to hear from her. She is so sweet that she will probably tell me what I want to hear, so I am not going to prompt her. She is a vegetarian and I will be staying at her house, so I need to think through my food plan before I arrive!

BulldogMom 09-01-2013 08:04 AM

Great job! What kind of exercise do you do? I like hearing what other people are doing especially when they're getting great results. It was around 25 lbs when people started noticing my loss but I think it was because I had to wear smaller clothes at that point. I like baggy shirts and they hide gains or losses really well.

84k 09-01-2013 08:39 AM

Fantastic results, and whilst exercising, impressive!
People noticed around 25/30lbs for me...

MtherGoos 09-01-2013 08:58 AM

I think a lot of it can depend on your weight and your age too. For me, at 46 and with a LOT left to lose, I'm averaging about 8-10 pounds per month right now. So far. I'm getting a lot more bouncing up and down on the scale lately, so we'll see what September brings.

I've lost almost 80 pounds, and for me, people are just now starting to comment. I think sometimes people are afraid to comment on our weight loss because weight can be such a touchy subject. It's not that they don't notice, it's just that they don't mention it.

Kittycatmom 09-01-2013 09:50 AM

I haven't lost a lot of weight yet, but my clothes are looser and in tops I'm back in my size mediums. I have had a person notice that my face was leaner, and I attribute that to not only the water weight lost but also a decrease in inflammation. It is also getting noticeable in my midsection.

Ntombi 09-01-2013 10:12 AM

How long it takes for people to notice depends on how much you have to lose. Think about a roll of paper towels. When it's almost new, you can't see the effect of removing one sheet, but when it's down towards the end, one sheet makes a huge difference.

As for rate of loss, that is really individual. I've found that it's better to focus on what you can control, like eating cleanly and making good choices, and accepting the rate of loss that comes with that, because sometimes you'll be faster, sometimes more slow, and sometimes you'll be losing inches instead of much scale weight. It's all fat loss, though, and it's all progress.

If you continue without getting out of ketosis, you'll find your exercise will get much easier. It takes an average of six weeks of ketosis to become keto-adapted, which is when your body is directly converting fat to fuel, and you have more energy overall. Don't eat off plan, though, because if you kick yourself out of ketosis, you'll restart that clock!

Congratulations on your first month!

erinmarie 09-01-2013 10:22 AM

Great job! My loss has slowed too but I think that's healthy as long as I get there I'm happy!

BgDogMom 09-01-2013 01:33 PM

I'm 52 with about 50 lbs at least, to lose. I go to a bootcamp type class 3x's a week, it's an hour long. Then I walk 2 to 3 miles about 4 days a week, sometimes riding my bicycle 15 to 20 miles instead of walking. menopause is brutal with trying to lose weight!

I had heard it was at least 25 lbs before anyone noticed. I don't really get hung up on it, but when you hear of someone losing 20, you'd think it would be noticeable. No big deal. I'm in it to win it!

Kittycatmom 09-01-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16584674)

If you continue without getting out of ketosis, you'll find your exercise will get much easier. It takes an average of six weeks of ketosis to become keto-adapted, which is when your body is directly converting fat to fuel, and you have more energy overall.

Thank you so much for that. I didn't realize it takes about 6 weeks. I'm noticing I don't have a lot of energy, guess I have a couple more weeks to go.:up:

glennjones 09-02-2013 06:30 AM

BgDogMom - I found that too much exercise slowed my weight loss...I backed off a little and the scale moved again....exercise makes me feel so much better...

On another note does your beautiful dog wear dentures?

BgDogMom 09-02-2013 02:29 PM

LOL, they need braces, don't they!

Soooooo, if I get out of ketosis for say a day, I have to go another 6 weeks before becoming efficient at burning fat again? That stinks!!

Ntombi 09-02-2013 02:39 PM

Yes. That's the difference between ketosis and keto-adaptation. That's one of the reasons I don't eat off plan. Being keto-adapted means that my cells are directly burning fat.

cindyw 09-03-2013 08:27 AM

I started at 180 and lost 20 lbs and no one noticed. 5" off my waist and no one notices?? Well, I'm doing it for me and I noticed so that will have to be enough!

I went off plan for a couple of months (!) and gained ~5 lbs but I'm restarting today.

Thanks to all of you for being such motivators!

BgDogMom 09-07-2013 06:44 AM

Probably best if we do it for ourselves anyway!

emel 09-07-2013 07:10 AM

Maybe people are noticing but they aren't saying anything yet.

My 30-something niece was always slim but put on a lot of pounds a few years ago.
Later, my husband and I mentioned to each other that she was losing weight, but we didn't say anything to her until many pounds later. We didn't want to make her feel self-conscious. Later, we told her that she looked beautiful, which she did.