Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
former obsessive weighers/tweakers

How did you change your mindset? Should I set mini-goals or just try not to think about much at all... if that makes sense!
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Well I'm not obsessive, but I was doing more than I should have with the weighing. So I had my husband hide the scale. And he hid it WELL. It took a few weeks of really strong desires to weigh in, but after awhile it waned to the point that I ignored it.

Same with tweaking. I commit to a certain time period to follow my plan and just commit to that. No options, no changes, no justifications. Then I do it. It's simple, but not easy. However I'm the adult in the room and in complete control of my body, it is MY choice. My emotions are not in the driver's seat, my intellect is. And my impulses aren't capable of driving that hand into the bag and into my mouth without some consent, on some level, from my own thoughts. So I don't allow it and 'magically' stay on plan

It's an act of stubbornness and determination, but that's what it takes. And the more you practice that, the easier it gets.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Scale worship makes no sense. None. It is irrational. I used to be obsessed with the number on the scale. It ruled my emotions.

When I got within 15 lbs of my goal weight I realized reaching that number - or any number - would not magically result in my dream body. The number had nothing to do with my desired appearance. The real "goal" is being happy with one's reflection in the mirror, the fit of one's clothes, how one feels physically, etc.

I dropped the goal weight & never looked back. I do weigh and track but the number is not connected to my goals and it does not rule my emotions. I use the scale as a tool, not a goal.

Scale weight is not an appropriate goal; goals are supposed to be achievable by completing specific actions. Do this & that and goal is achieved.

There is no way to guarantee following specific steps will result in weight loss. The total weight of any human body naturally fluctuates by several pounds on a daily basis. Add to that the fact that the scale is only a measure of total weight at any given moment, not fat loss...why would anyone use it as a fat loss goal?

Achievable goals like eating the right foods, exercising, getting plenty of sleep, etc. are more appropriate. I5t is easy to see if they have been achieved and consistently succeeding in reaching these goals will result in fat loss which means inches lost & a smaller, better-looking, healthier body.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 08-31-2013 at 11:36 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Taryl and Deb. I hope to stick to only weighing at my TOPS weekly meeting. I would be happy to not count or track anything and plan on keeping it that way unless it is obviously not working or I gain weight. I think I know what to eat or at least I should by now! I'll just alternate cardio/strength workouts that won't require much thought.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ivyjewels
The scale is not my friend........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Scale worship makes no sense. None. It is irrational. I used to be obsessed with the number on the scale. It ruled my emotions.

When I got within 15 lbs of my goal weight I realized reaching that number - or any number - would not magically result in my dream body. The number had nothing to do with my desired appearance. The real "goal" is being happy with one's reflection in the mirror, the fit of one's clothes, how one feels physically, etc.

I dropped the goal weight & never looked back.

This^^^^^^
ivyjewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Years of counting, weighing, restricting/binging have invaded my mind, yeah this is going to be a work in progress. I have to do this right this time.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Years of counting, weighing, restricting/binging have invaded my mind, yeah this is going to be a work in progress. I have to do this right this time.
You are not alone, I am in the same boat!!!
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbyrd View Post
You are not alone, I am in the same boat!!!
Are you doing anything differently?
Old 08-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Are you doing anything differently?
I have put back on around 10 pounds in the last 3 months, I think I just got lazy and tired of eating a lot of the same food, then binge and weigh-same cycle for the past 3months. I did try Weight Watchers (my friend has lost 30 or so poounds)for a few weeks but the cravings are so bad and then more binge!! I am so confused!! I know LC is what I should do and the only thing that works and keeps my binges under control!! In the morning which is the 1st I am going back to induction and try to get back on the wagon!! ALL I think about is food, weight and it is so depressing!!!! ANy suggestions???

Jeannie
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

I am just trying eating super clean induction right now and not letting myself get hungry. I also want to only wiegh once a week, before I weighed daily which I think derailed me at times with the fluctuations. In a nutshell like you mentioned I don't want to think or obsess about food, I just want to eat what I need to lose without tracking and weighing and all that jazz.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: frank
Stats: 1993 ... 388 lbs today 235 lbs ... day by day
WOE: Atkins .....
I just do not get on the scales ... my goal is 2lbs per month ... the scales will never be your friend ... in my line of work my weight can go down 4-6 lbs a day ... I drink almost a gallon of water per day and still go down that much it is all fluid ... daily weighing would drive me crazy....
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yeah, it's really individual.

I like weighing daily, but I fully understand that the scale doesn't tell the whole story, and I've come to expect the fluctuations I see on the scale. My weight will fluctuate by several pounds every day, and that's just a fact of life for me. But weighing daily and measuring monthly (and tracking both) is part of what helps keep me accountable to myself. It works for me, but everyone has to figure out the system that works for them.

Some people never weigh, and that's great too. Some people weigh backwards and have someone they trust write down the number every month or whatever. Some people just go by measurements, or the fit of their clothes, or other metrics. Whatever helps keep you on track and sane is the best plan.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote