LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Is it just too much to ask....

To have a diet where we can eat what and how much we want, drink what and how much we want, be healthy and the weight that we want?????
....in my dreams, right
rotay60 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Yep
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Maybe in the afterlife ? Lol
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I can't eat 'what I want.' But I also can't spend whatever I want [my checking/savings are not unlimited] or drive any way I want [I have to observe trafflic rules].

In so many ways, we observe restrictions in our daily lives, yet people seem to resent food restrictions. As with my money, I've come to look at my eating in terms of my personal goals.

To maintain my lifestyle, I must carefully consider how I spend my money. To maintain the body I have worked hard to develop, I must carefully consider how I 'spend' my carbs and calories. I make these choices on a daily basis, and I try to make choices consistent with my personal goals.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: doobiephillips
Stats: 240/210/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July, 2 2013
I would say Atkins is the closest thing to this and it will get. You may have to limit the types of foods you eat, but you can indulge yourself on the free foods. The only diet I know of that you can eat bigger qualities. I get very creative with recipes, and make things that are very delicious and satisfying.
doobiephillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have come the closest with intermittent fasting. I can eat "whatever" I want for about 2-3 hours a day as long as I don't eat anything (or very little) the rest of the time.

Sometimes it is worth it.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
To have a diet where we can eat what and how much we want, drink what and how much we want, be healthy and the weight that we want?????
....in my dreams, right
I think I'm pretty close to that. The eating/drinking part. And I have a ways to go but I'm definitely well on my way to becoming the best me I can be. I know I'll get there...and then some.

But what I want to eat & drink sure has changed over time.

And, yes, it is rather like a dream come true.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
....in my dreams, right
My first thought was yes. Then I thought about the word WANT. Slowly my wants have changed. I no longer want to eat a lot in one sitting. It makes me feel horrible. The same with drinking too much. I do want to be healthy.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Atkins is as close as I'm going to get.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adiasmc1
Stats: 5'1" - 193/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
I totally understand, I think this is one of the things I struggle with most with getting older. I just have to realize I CAN eat whatever I want, if I want to be obese. But if I want to be healthy and at a decent weight, I just can't do that anymore. This is a daily struggle for me, trying to get that into my head so that I can be happy with what I am choosing, but it is hard.
adiasmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
It would be nice. A girl can dream.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #12

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, of course! the only trick is getting to the point where you want what's right and healthy for you personally, in the appropriate quantities. the trouble is we want to be able to eat "what we want" without doing the necessary work on "what we want." most find it easier just to eat what they should and try to ignore the wanting.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
yes, of course! the only trick is getting to the point where you want what's right and healthy for you personally, in the appropriate quantities. the trouble is we want to be able to eat "what we want" without doing the necessary work on "what we want." most find it easier just to eat what they should and try to ignore the wanting.
Yes, that is true.

I consider myself successfully brainwashed to think healthy.

Most everyone has heard that the human mind will believe anything you tell it. That's how so many of us ended up with horrible self-esteem problems. We kept calling ourselves horrible names and we believed it though it was not at all true.

Many years ago I got fed up with hearing how we could change the way we think simply by "replacing negative self tapes with positive ones." I KNEW that wasn't true. It was too simple. I set out to prove it wrong once & for all. I tried it. Every time I started to think a negative thought about myself I stopped myself mid-thought. I replaced that with a positive thought. I did this 24/7.

I lost the bet. I proved it really does work. I completely reversed my poor self-esteem and learned to love myself at all times. Unconditionally.

Similarly, we can tell ourselves we want to eat healthy foods. Say it every day all day & you end up believing it. Stare longingly at junk food and sugary carbs on a regular basis and it probably won't work.

Research enough and you may find yourself wondering what possessed you to ever have eaten some things!

I love that I want to eat healthy now. It does not feel limiting or restrictive; it frees me. I do eat whatever I want. But, as I mentioned earlier, my wants have changed.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I can't eat 'what I want.' But I also can't spend whatever I want [my checking/savings are not unlimited] or drive any way I want [I have to observe trafflic rules].

In so many ways, we observe restrictions in our daily lives, yet people seem to resent food restrictions. As with my money, I've come to look at my eating in terms of my personal goals.

To maintain my lifestyle, I must carefully consider how I spend my money. To maintain the body I have worked hard to develop, I must carefully consider how I 'spend' my carbs and calories. I make these choices on a daily basis, and I try to make choices consistent with my personal goals.
Can't believe nobody has given Leo a for this! Hit the nail on the head completely!!!
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
Can't believe nobody has given Leo a for this! Hit the nail on the head completely!!!
Wow! DITTO! It's all about perception and self control!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Yes. BUT. It happens only when you start eating for nutritional reasons and not all the other reasons (things that got us here in the first place). For example yesterday I had no hunger and no desire to eat. I ate because I had to. The when I did choose to make something to eat, I describe it like this:

Hmmm. It is time to eat. What do I want to eat? I am not sure. What do I like to eat? Nothing really stands out. Ok. What can I eat that will give me the best nutritional value for this meal which won't take too much time to prepare because I have to start doing the laundry. I then choose something and ask myself. Does this fit my calorie alottment for this meal and time of day? Does it cover my nutritional goals based on my daily plan? Yes. Great. Then I go ahead and eat.

When you start eating for nutritional reasons, you don't really want foods with no nutritional value. I found myself switching to choosing things with a high nutritional value (biggest bang for buck etc.) For example when I used to be hungry I would devor sandwich bread without anything on it to fill the void. Or eat 2-3 bananas with PB in one sitting. And don't even get me started on anything chocolatey. For some people carbs can be pretty diabolical because when you consume these they trigger nutrient storage. This means your brain can literally starve, which leads to over-eating. That is why the low carb diet can be so effective for some people. High carb diets work best for people who have bodies that don't go into heavy duty "storage mode" when they eat carbs. It just depends on the person's metabolism.

So to get back to your question. Can I eat whatever I want? Yes, but it is because what I want is foods with a high nutritional value, not a piece of cake or a bowl of ice cream, which for me has almost no nutritional value in relation to the number of calories. If I am going to eat carbs, I'll take them through veggies, spices or as incidentals in LC nutritional foods such as nuts or cheese. Carbs for me don't provide me with enough nutritional value to choose a high carby food over a low carb food. For example I used to love bananas....but they have too much sugar/calories vs. the micronutrients/fibre they offer, so I don't eat them. However I handful of pecans has a lot of fat and some protein. Another example is when I am making choices for dinner. I can't just eat a bowl of salad dressing and call that dinner. I have to pair it with something that makes sense. I choose a very low carb lettuce plus a bit of meat and put on my fatty salad dressing. All of the sudden I have a meal that makes sense. For the same number of calories I could eat a big piece of chocolate cake and icecream but I wouldn't get any vitamins or fiber with that. And I wouldn't get enough fat either. In my case it would cause an insulin spike and drive all the nutrients into storage and then my brain would be left "starving" again. Not a good choice for me. For some people I am not sure that happens to the same extent. I know a lot of people who can eat that way without gaining too much weight.

But you might be frustrated not understanding how the above is possible. But I can honestly say that my brain doesn't function the way it used to with respect to making food choices above. I literally can't "taste" the sugar in foods that used to set me off on random binges. And eating for reward is almost gone. Sometimes I still get mild bingeing urges when I am "down in the dumps." But I recognize the urge to use food to medicate myself, so I try to figure out a way to switch my brain off of those thoughts to the best of my ability. Having said that through, it took me awhile to get to this point. And part of it meant becoming obsessed over my diet. I feel like a nutcase when I realize that every calorie in my diet now has a purpose, but it does. And I am still trying to identify where along the way I stopped eating for nutritional reasons and used food as a reward. I remember when I was a kid eating a lot of processed foods and then gorgeing on chips, pop, cookies and baked goods on weekends. A typical meal when I was a kid was a piece of meat, cooked in dry heat, some canned or frozed mixed veggies, a potato or plain pasta for carbs and then maybe some canned fruit for desert. My mother cooked a lot of low fat meals because my grandfather was a farmer and my grandmother was a very skilled baker who was significantly overweight. When my mom got married she moved to the city and we ended up eating a lot of convenient foods. She thought TV dinners were the greatest thing that was ever invented. I can't imagine eating something like that now. Now that I think of it, that might be why I wanted to eat 5 chocolate eclairs after dinner!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
....in my dreams, right
No. Ain't gonna happen

Life is unfair. tons of junk out there and all it does is make me fat, but I love the taste

In my dreams is right.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
I love all the responses. I do hope that you all know that I was being a bit facetious. I know that it is not a reality for me or most. That being said, sometimes I do just get tired of over-thinking it all. I know that it can be simple, but I have a very analytical and critical thinking mind that keeps me in turmoil most of the time.

DiamondDeb, your response meant a lot to me, as my husband and I were just talking about the self esteem issue problem. I suffer with that a lot, and I was asking him...how to I change..hopefully I will be able to follow your example.
rotay60 is online now   Reply With Quote