Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   So, people do low carb like this? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/811130-so-people-do-low-carb-like.html)

Garlic 08-30-2013 10:04 PM

So, people do low carb like this?

Someone I know on another forum just posted that she was going to do low carb for 2 weeks so she can be SKINNIER for a wedding...... After the wedding is over she will give up low carb.

She is already pretty thin.

I had no idea people did low carb this way. Though, I guess it doesn't surprise me.

Ntombi 08-30-2013 10:14 PM

Of course. People use every diet like that.

Olive 08-30-2013 11:06 PM

Not our business if they want to use it like a 2-week hack diet :laugh:

rose1 08-30-2013 11:09 PM

Sure, like people do Slimfast to lose a few pounds.

ArdMaine 08-31-2013 07:16 AM

Oh yes, low carb is the fastest way to lose the Bloat.

clackley 08-31-2013 07:27 AM

Doesn't surprise me. It is a great way to drop some lbs. quickly. I am guessing that they learn just as quickly that the weight will come right back and maybe plus some when returning to the standard diet.

shelby'snana 08-31-2013 07:30 AM

Yes, and I think they are the ones that give low carb a bad name sometimes. Because all I ever hear from people is " the minute you start eating carbs you will gain it all back " Well, DUH....... the minute I start eating pizza, donuts, chips....of course I'm gonna gain it all back. That's with any diet !

But, that said, it works for them when they need it :)

princessmommy 08-31-2013 08:09 AM

Exactly Laura! Drives me Nuts! Of Course you're gonna gain it all back + more if people start filling their bodies with HC crap! Duh!

Spanilingo 08-31-2013 08:11 AM

Sure. Especially if you are thin and want to lose a little water weight to have a flat stomach but aren't looking at it as way to eat for health and fitness long term.

Effective for those purposes too.

erinmarie 09-01-2013 11:50 AM

I used to do that all the time. Hardcore inductin for ten to fifteen days then back to the junk food. It worked back then I was young and slimmer to begin with. I would go from 120 to 110 or thereabouts... Until I couldn't stay in the 120 range anymore that is...

Nancy E. 09-01-2013 12:18 PM

The difference between us and them, we eat this way for the health benefits for life. Recently I went on vacation and had a little too much fun over eating on legal foods. The beauty of this WOE, you go back to induction, get right back to where you want to be. Other people know this works but do not continue because they are not in it for these reasons. JMO :)

DiamondDeb 09-01-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16582664)
Of course. People use every diet like that.

Exactly.

It has nothing to do with LC; it is just whatever diet they want to try for a brief time. I seem to recall my mom & aunt doing the cabbage soup diet & the heart diet or some such thing.

Key Tones 09-01-2013 12:56 PM

I've read that most people only lose some small number of pounds on low carb. It was a little more than a low fat diet.

I wonder why most don't do well. They can't stick to it? Too impatient for results? We see people popping in all the time looking for help then disappear.

I suspect they discover it is great for losing carb bloat anyway.

I feel badly for them. I had no choice but to lose only a pound or two a month. Regardless my doc put me on it for diabetes. I suppose I might be in the same boat, never hanging in there long enough to see results.

DiamondDeb 09-01-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Key Tones (Post 16584785)
I've read that most people only lose some small number of pounds on low carb. It was a little more than a low fat diet.

I wonder why most don't do well. They can't stick to it? Too impatient for results? We see people popping in all the time looking for help then disappear.

I suspect they discover it is great for losing carb bloat anyway.

I feel badly for them. I had no choice but to lose only a pound or two a month. Regardless my doc put me on it for diabetes. I suppose I might be in the same boat, never hanging in there long enough to see results.

Most people find any diet hard to stick to but LC comes with more challenges than many other types of diet.

It is so different than the SAD, and even more extreme for those who eat the junk food version of SAD. Many experience withdrawal symptoms & take that as a sign that the diet is unhealthy.

Ntombi 09-02-2013 02:36 PM

It's also a very different thing to cheat when you're on a ketogenic diet than any other kind. If you're doing WW or Jenny Craig or something like that, you can have cookies or too many calories without it throwing you off for more than that day. If you cheat and kick yourself out of ketosis, it affects you for up to a week. That's huge to wrap your mind around.

I am absolutely doing this for health, which isn't limited to losing weight, and I'm in this for the long haul, but many (most?) people choose a diet expecting to go off it at some point. Again, it's a different mindset. Not everyone is ready to make a lifelong change. Hell, I wasn't ready until January, and I knew it was in my best interest for over eleven years!