Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandc90
I'm confused about higher fat intake

I see people saying they've upped their fat intake to 60-70% of their diet. Do you mean calories? Otherwise I'm picturing a fist-sized steak with a two-fisted size pile of butter next to it.

I'd like to increase my fat as I'm hungry a lot. Everything I eat is full fat, by the way. I'm in my second week. I didn't do an induction although I did get carb flu. My mouth continually tastes rotten if I don't drink enough so I'm assuming I'm in ketosis.

It's not mental hunger either. So, I figured I'd try more fat. If I can. It sounds yuck.
tandc90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yes, it's by calories, so it's not as much as you'd think. Remember that fat has 9 calories per gram, versus 4 for carbs and protein. So adding little bits of fat to your meals will add up more than adding other macros.

I don't count fat, but I basically eat very low carb (fewer than 20g total per day), moderate protein (~120g), and high fat (whatever makes up the rest of my calories). All that means is that if I'm hungry, I'll make sure that I'm not overdoing the protein, I have something with both protein and fat together.

Think about adding a pat of butter to your veggies, or cooking your meat in butter or bacon fat. Things like that can add fat quite easily. When I have a steak, for instance, I add a pat of Boursin cheese on top, in place of compound butter. When I eat chicken and roasted broccoli, I'll have blue cheese dressing with it.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 08-30-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 238/238/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
It's not hard to get your fat intake up AT ALL! Are you tracking your meals? Remember, fat keeps you satiated. When you're satiated, you eat less. When you eat less and don't include silly carbs in your diet, you get skinny! Not to mention, fat is delicious. See the "Eat fat, get thin!" Forum for all the evidenced based research that coincides with fat consumption.
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRolliePollie
Stats: 150/142/125
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: May 2012
Enjoy your fat! Sour cream...butter...yumm...
BigRolliePollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Yes fat isn't yucky, Mayonnaise, Blue cheese dressing, Chicken skin...
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Beware though that it is the absolute amount and not percentages.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm, I already do all that. I always eat butter on veggies, full fat dressing on salads, fat like cheese or butter on protein and fry in whatever fat I have on hand. Heck, that's one of the winning arguments for this WOE, lol.

I'm keeping my carbs between 30-40 per Protein Power's recommendations. I divide it up over 3 meals and snacks. I do eat a low carb tortilla every day and some type of cheese. Most days it's at 30, give or take.

I'm unwilling to sacrifice anything at the moment so I'll just hope I get the blood work benefits regardless. I'm hoping my hunger is just an adjustment thing.

Not tracking my meals. I was on WW off and on for years and just don't want to track anything at all except carbs. I know myself and if I have to start tracking things I'll quit.

Thanks y'all.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josh1234
I can't tell anybody else what will work for them, but here is my take on the fat thing.

I don't worry about it as long as it is natural fat close to the way god made it. And in the food god intended it to be in. If you don't believe in god, substitute mother nature, your call. I limit my consumption of Frankenfoods that have added fat, sugar, etc. since that is not the way god made food. Sheesh! I sound like some type of religious, food zealot, but really, I'm not.

I eat regular food, not non-fat or low-fat. Whatever fat is in it, is the fat I eat. I do not go out of my way to eat more fat. No fat bombs for me. But, if I want to eat black berries and cream, whatever fat is in the cream is what I eat. If I have a big plate of veggies with some olive oil and vinegar drizzled on it, then that is the fat I eat. If it's the middle of the day and I am feeling a bit hungry I might have a tablespoon of almond or peanut butter. Whatever fat is in it is what I eat.

I found that when I went out of my way to eat fat on purpose, that is when my weight loss was reversed. I am not a calorie counter, but eating hundreds or thousands of extra calories a day just for the purpose of consuming fat, can't be great for weight loss, at least not for me.

This has worked for me. N=1, maybe it will work for others.

Last edited by Josh1234; 08-31-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Josh1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I don't really worry about the numbers. I eat my healthy LC food and the numbers take care of themselves. I don't actively work to eat bricks of butter or drink oil to increase my fat.

Over the years, I have found that, when eating a LC diet, my fat naturally ends up averaging about 65%. Even after eliminating dairy, once a major part of my diet, my fat ends up about the same. That is what makes my body happy, keeps me satisfied and results in the best fat loss.

I really believe we all need to experiment a bit to find what works best for ourselves. I once tried going up to 80-85% fat after reading rave reviews about better fat loss but I found myself starving. I need more protein than it allowed. Once I added more protein back in & let my fat intake drop a bit I was satisfied & the constant hunger disappeared.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I do count calories, carbs and protein, but it seems like if I watch the carbs and protein (which most directly affect my blood glucose), the fats kind of take care of themselves...and I'm not slathering fat on everything. I used to be between 60-65% fats until I started drinking BPC for one meal. Now I come in almost right on 71% every day...actually lost 5 more unplanned pounds since doing so.

I use about 8 grams of butter to scramble my eggs, use 1 Tbs of olive oil (or equivalent fat in full fat dressing) on my salads, add butter to my vegies, eat bacon, mayo in my chicken salad, etc.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
I track what I eat since I'm a beginner. I find that I take in 70% fat a day, give or take a percent or 2. I'm getting the hang of it
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelle765
Stats: 240.2/189.8/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/19/2013
I crave fat when I LC

I've been dreaming about a nice juicy ribeye for some reason since last night, and not just the steak part, but the fat at the edges.

When I eat carbs, that has no draw for me.
Michelle765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I really believe we all need to experiment a bit to find what works best for ourselves. I once tried going up to 80-85% fat after reading rave reviews about better fat loss but I found myself starving. I need more protein than it allowed. Once I added more protein back in & let my fat intake drop a bit I was satisfied & the constant hunger disappeared.
I'm wondering if I need more protein. At first I was eating close to the amount suggested by Drs. Eades. I cut back because I was having a tough time getting it all down. However, I certainly wasn't hungry.

Unfortunately the reason I cut back is I started to not eat at all because I didn't want to cheat but I couldn't face another mountain of meat.

I guess I need to experiment some more.

While I'm eating good food and I AM in this for the blood work benefits mostly, I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed in my lack of weight loss so far.