Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!
 
Nancy E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: HOF city, Ohio
Posts: 1,511
Gallery: Nancy E.
Stats: 160/122/115
WOE: Low Carb - my plan - still learning
Start Date: July, 2002
Salt

To make a long story short, I was in a accident, typing with one hand, so have to be brief.... On this way of eating, which is the best thing I ever did, just don't forget to get enough salt. The hospital called my family Dr. because my blood test showed very low sodium level. Told my Dr. how I eat, he told me no problem, just put salt in water and drink once a day, he is all for the way I eat.
Nancy E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
scmadm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Niles, Ohio
Posts: 541
Gallery: scmadm
WOE: Atkins
I can't imagine drining salty water tastes good. I use it normally on food. Due to LC and exercise, I'm 53 years old but have BP of 116/66 and HR54. Salt is NOT something I worry about.
scmadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!
 
DiamondDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 73,785
Gallery: DiamondDeb
So sorry your were in an accident - but glad you're well enough to be on your computer! I hope you heal quickly.

Drinking salt water doesn't sound very appealing to me. Eating a LC diet, especially if you eat mostly unprocessed foods, can deplete sodium. Many here add a bowl of bouillon every day to help.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
Nancy E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: HOF city, Ohio
Posts: 1,511
Gallery: Nancy E.
Stats: 160/122/115
WOE: Low Carb - my plan - still learning
Start Date: July, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
So sorry your were in an accident - but glad you're well enough to be on your computer! I hope you heal quickly.

Drinking salt water doesn't sound very appealing to me. Eating a LC diet, especially if you eat mostly unprocessed foods, can deplete sodium. Many here add a bowl of bouillon every day to help.
This is exactly what my doctor said, many people eat processed foods containing a lot of salt which is fine, I do not, therefore thought I could help someone if need be, I will go back to the playground now....Thanks Deb.
Nancy E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,567
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Chicken broth is a great way to get in lots of sodium. I also like to eat a few olives.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
Nancy E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: HOF city, Ohio
Posts: 1,511
Gallery: Nancy E.
Stats: 160/122/115
WOE: Low Carb - my plan - still learning
Start Date: July, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Chicken broth is a great way to get in lots of sodium. I also like to eat a few olives.
Thanks, I forgot about the olives. I was not in any way trying to give advice to anyone, been eating this way since 2001 and learned everything I know from the experts over the years. I am 57 and in all the blood work they performed everything was perfect, they were concerned enough to call about sodium, it was so low, that I can fix
Nancy E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 325
Gallery: Liz1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy E. View Post
Thanks, I forgot about the olives. I was not in any way trying to give advice to anyone, been eating this way since 2001 and learned everything I know from the experts over the years. I am 57 and in all the blood work they performed everything was perfect, they were concerned enough to call about sodium, it was so low, that I can fix
It's a good reminder. I think we forget. We are also bombarded with messages like low fat. It's something we have to make sure we do for ourselves. I hate eating out because everything is lean/low fat and low sodium.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!
 
DiamondDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 73,785
Gallery: DiamondDeb
I agree this is a good reminder for both newbies & old-timers. Most of us don't think about making sure we get enough sodium.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!
 
ArdMaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 7,155
Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
I was feeling really badly last week, I started drinking Beef Broth before my meals and it really helped.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,314
Gallery: Patience
Nancy I have to supplement with salt, too. More than what I can get from salting food.
I also drink salt water, and keep some besides my bed.
I ate very low sodium for 30+ years before starting LC again in March . . . so this is a big surprise.
Salting food can ruin the taste for me, so I'd rather enjoy the food and consume salt independently.

For me extra salt is the only thing that really works against serious leg cramps. Salt is the issue more than potassium for me -- although I also supplement with P and mag -- but salt is what does the trick for me. I have ordered some sodium supplements, thinking I'd rather swallow tabs than drinking salt water, although salt water is a big improvement over severe leg cramps.

Last edited by Patience; 08-31-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,794
Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I put salt in my water in the summer. You don't add so much that it tastes salty, just a little bit so you are getting sodium throughout the day even when not eating. I also drink lots of homemade broth, especially if I have been exercising and sweating a lot.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Romy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, QC Canada
Posts: 92
Gallery: Romy
Stats: 164/142.5/120-130
WOE: LC
Start Date: July1,2013
I have high BP that is weight related so sodium is a no no for me. Since eating LC and losing weight and consuming less sodium my BP is down to normal. I am monitoring it 2-3 times everyday and not taking my meds, which I should not do without consulting my doctor. Cannot get an apt. until Nov. on the days that I do take my meds I feel weird and light headed, I take my BP and it is very low. I go to the pharmacy as well to see if my monitor is OK and the readings are the same. If I see that my BP goes up I will take 1/2 and see how it goes. I think that I should be OK until I see my DR.
Romy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
Nancy E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: HOF city, Ohio
Posts: 1,511
Gallery: Nancy E.
Stats: 160/122/115
WOE: Low Carb - my plan - still learning
Start Date: July, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Nancy I have to supplement with salt, too. More than what I can get from salting food.
I also drink salt water, and keep some besides my bed.
I ate very low sodium for 30+ years before starting LC again in March . . . so this is a big surprise.
Salting food can ruin the taste for me, so I'd rather enjoy the food and consume salt independently.

For me extra salt is the only thing that really works against serious leg cramps. Salt is the issue more than potassium for me -- although I also supplement with P and mag -- but salt is what does the trick for me. I have ordered some sodium supplements, thinking I'd rather swallow tabs than drinking salt water, although salt water is a big improvement over severe leg cramps.
This is very interesting, thank you. I had severe leg cramps, never entered my mind about sodium, I kept thinking low potassium, I even PM'd Emel on one thread about her drinking broth. Didn't realize it was this severe until hospital called about my blood test. FYI and update. Drank my water yesterday with a tsp of salt and no leg cramps at all last night
Nancy E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,349
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
My neighbor woke up almost paralyzed two weeks ago. He had no control over his limbs and couldn't even walk to his front door. He called a friend with a key who came over and called 911 and got him dressed and he started seizing as the EMTs were carrying him out. He was in the hospital getting the last rites performed over him.

Turns out his potassium was deathly low. He's not low carbing, he just was drinking too much and not eating well. But they said his potassium was the lowest they'd ever seen. That was the only thing that was wrong with him, but it triggered massive organ issues and almost killed him.

However you feel best getting your electrolytes in, get them!
__________________
<-- Buddy
Ntombi: 5'6˝" 40 years old
Started Atkins 8-23-02 325+
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,314
Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy E. View Post
This is very interesting, thank you. I had severe leg cramps, never entered my mind about sodium, I kept thinking low potassium, I even PM'd Emel on one thread about her drinking broth. Didn't realize it was this severe until hospital called about my blood test. FYI and update. Drank my water yesterday with a tsp of salt and no leg cramps at all last night
I used to think potassium was the key, but since joining this forum in March, I've discovered that my greater need is more sodium. Even more so on these unusually hot and humid days in my part of the country. I wish I could find those small blocks of salt I could purchase as a child many years ago. A salt lick for a human!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!
 
Nancy E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: HOF city, Ohio
Posts: 1,511
Gallery: Nancy E.
Stats: 160/122/115
WOE: Low Carb - my plan - still learning
Start Date: July, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I used to think potassium was the key, but since joining this forum in March, I've discovered that my greater need is more sodium. Even more so on these unusually hot and humid days in my part of the country. I wish I could find those small blocks of salt I could purchase as a child many years ago. A salt lick for a human!
LOL, maybe we could get the salt licks they have for Deer and start licking.

Last edited by Nancy E.; 08-31-2013 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: typo
Nancy E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,349
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
And look what just came across my FB newsfeed: It&apos;s Time to End the War on Salt: Scientific American
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
Zanjabil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 203
Gallery: Zanjabil
Stats: 215/195/145
WOE: Ketosis/ mostly carnivorous
Start Date: 8/12/13 (again)
Nancy, thanks for the advice. Since I've been eliminating carbs again, I crave salt! I just take it as my body's way of telling me I need to pile it on. When I get enough I don't crave sweet. Go figure! I put a lot on meat, especially.
Zanjabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!
 
Nancy E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: HOF city, Ohio
Posts: 1,511
Gallery: Nancy E.
Stats: 160/122/115
WOE: Low Carb - my plan - still learning
Start Date: July, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
And look what just came across my FB newsfeed: It&apos;s Time to End the War on Salt: Scientific American
WOW, just got done reading this, thank you for sharing, I am going to print this out.
Nancy E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!
 
DiamondDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 73,785
Gallery: DiamondDeb
A while back I found myself craving salt. Not salty foods or junk. SALT.

I could not help myself & found myself eating sea salt off my fingertips. I also craved mustard & ate it the same way. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what was going on. Sure enough, my sodium level was low. It was still in the normal range but barely. When I saw that it all made sense!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,567
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
And look what just came across my FB newsfeed: It&apos;s Time to End the War on Salt: Scientific American
Cool, thanks. I posted on Facebook too.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.