Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
How long til you were 100% sure LC was the right way for you?

I posted before that I had PHENOMENAL results with my blood work after only 8 weeks. I think I am starting my 14th week tomorrow. I have a blood test scheduled for October.

Even with the results I have had, I still have a tiny bit of doubt that LC is healthy over the long term. Sure, I have read all the books, and read all the success stories here, but in my mind, right now, that is all about "everybody else." Maybe that is because I am still not really losing weight.

I still have it in my mind that I won't fully believe - 100% believe - in Low Carb until I get the results of my next blood work. Then it will be 6 months of Low Carb. If everything all looks good at that point, I think I will finally be able to free myself of the remaining doubts.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I think for Me I knew LC was right for me within 2-3 weeks. My Hypoglycemia went away, heart burn got better, IBS got Way better and of course the weight loss helped too Lol
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
The first week. I felt like crap, but my stomach looked great. And I no longer had the urge to binge and purge.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Right away. I have never experienced the withdrawal symptoms many do so it happened fast.

Way back then my intro to low carb was with Protein Power & the science was explained in the Protein Power books I read. It took a leap of faith to go from low fat to high but the science supported it & I already knew low fat did not work for me long-term. There wasn't anywhere else to turn.

I did not need lab results to tell me I was doing something right. My body told me. But my labs are great. I take no prescription medications but I did not take any before I changed my diet either.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Intellectually I knew after my initial research. Within a week of actually going low carb I confirmed it. And after two years low carb/paleo and one year officially Atkins I have no doubts.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Before I started! atkins was the first and only diet i ever tried ... it became full time way of eating. Low carb really kind of incorporated all the universal truths of eating and weight loss. Also, it seemed so flexible. High fat LC, low fat LC, dairy LC, fruit and LC all while eating all the stuff I was eating anyway. And cheats weren't considered an abomination ( at least that's what I got from the book) AND eventually you possibly COULD eat the other stuff! Seemed right for me.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I knew right away, day 1. My blood sugar came right into line, immediately, like it was nothing, after YEARS of horrible horrible numbers, like a1c's in the 12s, for years on end. And then, my first a1c after starting low carb was only like 3 weeks in and it was 6.6, after that I was in the 5s.

I also felt so much better immediately. I had a little carb flu for about two days, but before I was even done with that I think my heartburn was gone or much better. And I think by the end of the second day I was full of energy and felt ten years younger.

I didn't lose *any* weight by low carbing for about ten years after I first discovered it, though. That was a bummer. I really wish that I could go back and shake my 2000 self and tell her to eat less carbs! lol I was willing to go down to 20, but felt like it was unfair to ask me to do more than that even though I remember reading about a woman on these boards back then who had to go much lower, like what I'm doing now. I thought she was wrong, I guess, and that if it didn't work at 20 it wasn't gonna work at 10 or whatever. Sigh... Better late than never!

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I knew immediately. I felt SO much better and lost weight pretty easily. All my blood work improved and I have been eating this way for about 12 years now. I've had some stalls (thyroid issues and diabetes) over the years but got past them when I figured out what was wrong.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Each time I eat this way I know it's right...but due to not resolving food/emotion daemons, I just haven't stuck it out. But eating low carb I feel better! I look better, I eat better!
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
I'd done Atkins Induction a couple of times before (like 3 years ago) but only gotten as far as 2 weeks before fooling myself into thinking that I should do low-fat or vegetarian instead, always failing miserably.

I've been on Atkins for more than a month now (with some cheating in between) but this is the first time it's really stuck. Even with cheat days, I go back naturally to this WOE. I just feel so good on it. I'm very, very proud that I finally have the maturity to accept that this is "me".

Phoebe

One of the very few things we have complete control over is what we put in our mouths. Unless someone hogs us down, pries open our jaws and force feeds us, we have total and complete control of our eating.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Atkins is the only diet I've ever tried. I was convinced it was right for me before I started in 2002, but I took longer to understand all the health benefits, and believe ketosis was the healthiest state for me long-term.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Despite the fact that I did Atkins successfully in 2000 (to 2003) ... lost all my weight and maintained, I was still not 100% convinced it was healthy. Duh...???

After about 3 months in this time, I can say I was 100% convinced it is the absolute right way for me. I would put this down to the availability of information and the understanding of the science and a book written by Gary Taubes (Good Calories/Bad Calories) that explained how the conventional wisdom has gone so wrong.

Almost 4 yrs. later, I am even more sure and I continue to read, listen and evaluate the emerging info.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 08-29-2013 at 05:16 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
I knew Atkins was right after reading his book. So many of the "before" cases he spoke of sounded like me. I committed fully to the two week Induction, doing it as a trial as he suggested, and I felt so much better and was enjoying the food so much I never looked back.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sequins
Stats: current goal: 299 lbs
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: Pro-Atkins since 1999
I knew very quickly. My depression cleared up, allergies virtually gone, skin cleared up, mood improved, slept better, cravings vanished and... my teeth stopped hurting.
Sequins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandc90
I'm into my second week and still don't know. This is a trial for 3 months then I get my blood work done again. It was awful last time so the retest will tell.

In general I feel better. Despite having to lose almost 100 lbs I've yet to lose any. That's disappointing, but mainly this is a WOE I'm trialing for the health benefits.

The OP's blood work results are very encouraging to me.
tandc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:12 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
I agree with everone here. I have tried many diets...looking for health.

I never feel good on any of them, except when I'm LCing. So I'm going with my gut feelings. (and my BS, IBS, and just feeling good.)

Good luck. If you ever doubt LC, just read here. Or I listen to podcast. And every time I know the boards are right, and the podcast are right.

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandc90
Quote:
So I'm going with my gut feelings. (and my BS, IBS, and just feeling good.)
Literally, huh?
tandc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Not until I got to goal and maintained for a while. I need a diet that lets me get to goal while being healthy. I would have stopped and found something else if I had stalled and stayed fat. I hated being overweight.

I always knew that the food was healthy because I was raised on full fat dairy, vegetables, fruits, eggs, meat, etc. I also stick to about 95% whole foods like eggs, different cuts of meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, etc and leave out all the processed low carb junk.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 08-31-2013 at 08:51 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
For me it was the first time that I decided to take a break and enjoy the Holidays. I went back to work the Monday after Christmas feeling as if I had been hit by a truck.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ivyjewels
Realizing how different my body composition is when im not LC was a rude awakening.

I feel soooooo much better after returning to low carb.

My low moods went away almost immediately. I will never stray from low carb again.

I am a much happier and healthier person with low carb!!
ivyjewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Quote:
tandc90 Quote:
So I'm going with my gut feelings. (and my BS, IBS, and just feeling good.)

Literally, huh?
LOL I just saw this, didn't realize how I put it
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender
Stats: 155 lbs/125 lbs/125 lbs (5'8") Age: 46
WOE: Very Low Carb (30-40 net carb grams/day)
Start Date: March 2011
Right away! I started with a moderate low-carb approach for blood sugar issues, and my readings and overall sense of well being improved as I continued lowering carbs until I got to 30-40 grams daily, where I remain today. Have never felt better, and BG are now consistently normal. I'm fairly confident I'll be VLC for life
Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelle765
Stats: 240.2/194.0/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/19/2013
When I read the book!

I knew the instant I read The New Diet Revolution. I recognized a lot of myself in there. I missed the part about eating till satisfied, not full and stalled 70 lbs in to my initial loss. I got that right and between that and some pretty heavy weightlifting I was doing at the time peeled off another 18 lbs in two weeks.

This is my THIRD time doing Atkins and I really want this WOE to stick this time. I've read all the stuff about why to pass on cardio (I never knew it could cause TSH problems!) and focus on heavy lifting and I started today. Nice to be done at the gym in 45 mins or so and I must say, it gives me quite the sense of accomplishment. That's not to say I won't do cardio if I feel like it, but I know my body benefits from just walking too. I have a heart rate monitor, so I can make sure I'm not walking too slow.
Michelle765 is offline   Reply With Quote