Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Aches I never had before Low Carb... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/810917-aches-i-never-had-before-low-carb.html)

ArdMaine 08-28-2013 04:08 AM

Aches I never had before Low Carb...

Good Morning!! I have been on Induction Level for 3 weeks now, Lost 8 pounds :up:. BUT I have had some severe aches in my hips especially. My Right side worse than my left, oddly. My job is mostly a sit-down job and I am not the type that exercises much. I notice it gets worse at night and if I spend a lot of time walking ie: Shopping at the mall with my daughter on Sunday for a few hours.

This is acute, I've never had joint issues before...any thoughts before I call my doctor?

AnnetteW 08-28-2013 05:24 AM

I doubt the hip pain is related to the low carb diet, but heck, one never knows everything.

I get hip pains/aches from overexercising, or under exercising. Finding my sweet spot is difficult.

Do you remember taking an extra long walk recently, or doing anything that might have aggravated your hips?

I will do some simple leg swings just to loosen things up. You've probably just aggravated one of the deep down muscles, does ibuprofen help?

Erin57 08-28-2013 07:48 AM

I had this same problem. The thinner I got, the more I hurt. Walking especially aggravated my hips.

For me, it was several things.

I needed to work on my gait and my posture. I have to pay very close attention to this. The book 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back by Esther Gokhale has helped me tremendously.

It’s possible that your electrolyte’s are out of balance. I was drinking plenty of water, taking potassium and making sure to get plenty of salt but I forgot about Magnesium. This was the magic answer for me.

My shoes need to be really ugly Nike’s if I’m going to do any walking. No flats or sandals.

If you do visit your doctor ask for him/her to recommend Physical Therapy. They are wonderful people and can help you navigate the aches and pains of growing older. I’m seeing one now for an elbow issue. What I thought was a strength or posture/computer issue is really a sleeping issue. I’m training myself how to sleep in a different position and the pain is gone now.

clackley 08-28-2013 09:53 AM

I don't know if this would have anything to do with your issue but I came across some very interesting information on the importance of vitamin k2 and it's role in health. It is a vitamin that was pretty much overlooked until fairly recently and it is now known to be pretty important. Just google vitamin k2 and calcium.

Anonymousity 08-28-2013 10:01 AM

When I'm low in vitamin D levels my hips ache.

clackley 08-28-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymousity (Post 16578609)
When I'm low in vitamin D levels my hips ache.

K2 helps with d absorption.

Patience 08-28-2013 10:32 AM

My experience is exactly the opposite . . . . I was starting to get achy hips over the last year, but since starting my new low carb regime, my achy hips are history. It happened within a matter a week or so. I am not sure how much of this to attribute to low carb v. adding CO to my diet.

ArdMaine 08-28-2013 07:41 PM

All great Ideas, I am off to research the importance of certain nutrients especially Magnesium, Calcium, D vitamins and K.:heart::heart:

Key Tones 08-28-2013 11:55 PM

Look up symptoms of hip bursitis and see if that is what it is. This happened to me too

Pain is on the outside of the hip; can't sleep on that side.

heidihoopi 08-29-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArdMaine (Post 16579413)
All great Ideas, I am off to research the importance of certain nutrients especially Magnesium, Calcium, D vitamins and K. :heart: :heart:

And Potassium. I had to take prescription strength potassium last time I did Atkins and lost 117 lbs. Chances are that losing so rapidly has thrown one or more of these out of balance. It shows up for me in my calves--at night I get bad cramps if I forget to drink enough or forget to take my multi-vitamins a few days in a row. Eat your dark green salads and veggies!

Also you are losing a lot of water, you must drink plenty to replenish or you can get dehydrated easily and this alone can cause deep aches and pains as well.

ArdMaine 08-29-2013 03:54 AM

The pain is a deep pain. I have no trouble sleeping. I currently only take a B12 dot, I plan to go buy vitamins on my lunch break today. Is there a Specific kind of Magnesium recommended or would any quality Multi vitamin and mineral do?

heidihoopi 08-29-2013 02:15 PM

Atkins has recommendations in the book, you might want to check there. I forget what they are. I just take a good multi for 50+ years from Target, but if that doesn't resolve the pain, you need blood tests from your Doc to determine what you are deficient in. :hugs: I take both extra potassium and Vit D because test showed I was deficient in those.

Josh1234 08-29-2013 04:59 PM

The simple answer is to spend a few days at a higher level of carbs and see what happens. Just make sure they are better carbs and not junk like sugar and highly processed white flour.

Also, It may be a reaction to some other change in your diet made at the same time. It's hard to move to a low carb diet and not change what we eat.

Or, it could just be coincidence. Some people thing that since B follows A, B must cause A. That's a logical fallacy.

Janknitz 08-31-2013 10:23 AM

It may be what foods you are choosing on low carb. If you've chosen to increase fats by using more polyunsaturated oils like canola, soy, vegetable or peanut oil be aware that those oils are highly inflammatory. Even if its just a matter of having more full fat salad dressing, almost ALL commercial dressings (and mayo) contain polyunsaturated fats, even if they have olive oil, too.

The other thing is that if you have increased the eggs you eat, some people have an inflammatory response to eggs (and nightshades like eggplant and tomato) try skipping eggs for a few days to see if it helps, and switch your oils to olive, coconut, and animal fats.

Key Tones 09-07-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 16583167)
It may be what foods you are choosing on low carb. If you've chosen to increase fats by using more polyunsaturated oils like canola, soy, vegetable or peanut oil be aware that those oils are highly inflammatory. Even if its just a matter of having more full fat salad dressing, almost ALL commercial dressings (and mayo) contain polyunsaturated fats, even if they have olive oil, too.

The other thing is that if you have increased the eggs you eat, some people have an inflammatory response to eggs (and nightshades like eggplant and tomato) try skipping eggs for a few days to see if it helps, and switch your oils to olive, coconut, and animal fats.

:goodpost:

Aomiel 09-08-2013 05:48 AM

It may be potassium deficiency. About 2 weeks ago I started having serious muscle and joint pain, particularly when I was horizontal at night. I also started having numbness and tingling in my arms from my elbows down. That was the clue-in that it might be potassium deficiency. Lab work confirmed it.

emel 09-08-2013 06:09 AM

My first guess would be bursitis.
It gets worse in bed and with activity such as walking.

If the area feels warm when it hurts, that's a sign that it could be bursitis.

The cure is resting of the joint. Hard to do with a busy lifestyle.
Ways to ease bursitis pain:
--at beginning of onset, use ice packs for 20 min (this does not help me with pain but it is always recommended)
--later, after you've had the symptoms for awhile, use a heating pad for pain relief.
--keep anti-inflammatories in you. That's advil, not allieve or tylenol. Use a regular dose 3 or 4 times a day, not one big mega dose.
--cut back on exercise using the affected joint. (but you can still exercise--- you can do chair exercises/upper body workouts with hip bursitis, and you can do lower body workouts when you have shoulder bursitis.

Later, after you've healed some, you might want to see a PT or do some range of motion exercises on your own. But this comes later, because you have to rest the joint while the pain is acute. For me, it's about 2 weeks before I can work on it.

Sorry to sound like a know-it-all.... I have had shoulder bursitis a lot of times, and hip bursitis a couple of times. My doctor thinks I might over-use my arms/shoulders because my back is so whacked out from degenerative disk disorder.

Davian 09-10-2013 06:52 AM

I spent all last week with a deep lateral pain in my hips so unbearable I couldn't sleep. I had numbness all the way down from hips to the tops of my feet - sitting made it 50x worse. Completely unrelated - I was doing Elliptical at the gym and my knees were always hurting afterwards so one day I did 10 minutes on the recumbent bike - viola - NO knee pain. Just for grins and giggles I took my nearly numb self to the gym and did the recumbent bike for 20 minutes at an easy pace - Believe or Not - pain went away and that was a few days ago. Something it does works and I have no idea why......

UghNowWhat 09-10-2013 10:44 AM

Low potassium, calcium and magnesium can cause aches/pains but that's usually in hands and calves and are like charlie horses.

I recently aggravated my hips and thighs but that was from increasing the incline on the treadmill. Walking isn't a new thing for me but the incline was.

It's also true that some foods can cause issues like someone else said.

DD80 09-10-2013 06:19 PM

I have had muscle and nerve pain for years (and I'm relatively young for that) - I did chiro, ART, physical therapy, I exercised like crazy...it was always there. Vitamin D and magnesium help for sure - check them out (as others have said). I would also find some hip stretches - sitting in a chair all day is killer on your hips. Working on strengthening your core is also crucial (good exercise is to lay on your back, knees bent, and tighten your abs for a minute. Do 3 sets/day. You can feel if your muscles are tightened by feeling right inside your hip bone and also right under your ribs).

However, the one thing that has taken away 80% of my pain...

Gluten free.

Now that I don't eat it, I'm super sensitive to it, so I can see how someone going low carb might become more sensitive after starting the diet. At first I had doubts...I've been tested for celiacs, but negative. My vitamins are low (D and magnesium for sure) and I started having strange stomach issues, so I tried it. I'm now positive I'm gluten sensitive. For example, last week I was sick with a cold. I took advil liquid gels without thinking - felt better so kept taking them. Then after 3 doses, kinda felt worse. By the end of the day, I thought I pulled my back out and felt like I twisted my ankle a bit. I was walking hunched over and thought it was from coughing. FINALLY remembered liquid advil has gluten...AHA! Stopped it and within 2 days, symptoms completely clear. There are other examples like that, but I don't want to bore you.

People always shirk off gluten free because "they've been tested" etc. I think people want a medical diagnosis before they cut something like that out. I had chronic migraines as well, which have mostly resolved too. There are many things the medical profession has not come up with yet - accurate testing of gluten sensitive people is one of them. They also don't know all the damage that gluten can really cause. I, personally, need no diagnosis. 80% better is so awesome, I can't stand it. :)

I hope you find something that works!

ArdMaine 09-11-2013 05:47 AM

All your responses are so well articulated and knowledgeable, Thank you!!

I will say since starting a Multi-vitamin and Magnesium daily my pain has lessened. I am wondering if Glucosamine and Chondroitin would be beneficial too.

I do eat a lot of eggs, probably 2/day, however I eat tomatoes rarely and eggplant never since starting LC.

I'm going to start trying to walk a bit each day. I am fairly sedentary other than walking the 5 flights of stairs at my hospital 2-4x/day.

The pain isn't a Burning or tearing feel, It's a true deep ache.

I am also having a ergonomic study done to see if perhaps the chair I sit in at work 6 hours a day is the culprit.

Thank you All!!