Start Date: 01/03/09
I'm not sure what you're asking--?
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.6/?
WOE: lc
Losing all the weight without being hungry.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I don't really understand either. I have good appetite supression from being in ketosis but sometimes I still get hungry. It's a normal thing. If you're hungry you should eat, and stop when you are no longer hungry (ideally before you reach "full"). If you are talking about head hunger rather than real bodily hunger, then that is a different issue.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 4-12-14
If youre hungry, eat.
Atkins Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I agree w Misti. I don't think it is actual biological hunger that's a problem. I can survive hunger pretty easily. But there's something else that's much harder. I don't even know what it is. I don't think "craving" is a strong enough word. But whatever it is, it makes me miserable when it's around. I have had months at a time without it, but I don't know if it's possible to get to goal w/o. It is apparently not possible for *me* to get to goal without it.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Quote:
Losing all the weight without being hungry.
No, because getting hungry is a normal thing, like getting tired.

I don't think you literally mean, never ever feeling hungry. That isn't possible. I guess you mean, losing all the weight without ever feeling uncomfortable? Even temporarily or for a short time before you eat again? Because, also no.

It's normal to become hungry at times and we can't always eat immediately, and sometimes we have to deal with a little discomfort that way. This is true for people trying to lose weight, normal people who aren't trying to lose weight, heavy or thin people, all people.

Is there something you are currently struggling with, Jeanie?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

If I eat until full I maintain my weight. So to lose I have to eat less, after eating less for a while I get hungry and start to have too much food to make up for the lower calories it seems. It is not head hunger as a binger I know the difference there. I don't know if it is age or hormones but when I was at goal in 2010 I truly lost all the weight w/o hunger as I had much less of an appetite then.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I don't really understand either. I have good appetite supression from being in ketosis but sometimes I still get hungry. It's a normal thing. If you're hungry you should eat, and stop when you are no longer hungry (ideally before you reach "full"). If you are talking about head hunger rather than real bodily hunger, then that is a different issue.
I agree. I get hungry & it is normal and welcome.

I'm pretty sure I went for years without ever experiencing real hunger back when I ate SAD & junk all the time. I thought I was hungry but it was not the real thing. That "head hunger" was horrible but it is gone for good now. I never experience it when eating healthy.

I don't eat until full. Ever. I eat until I am satisfied. That is different to me.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 08-27-2013 at 06:53 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Ya know, you look awesome in your avatar pic. Would it be super disappointing to stay where you are?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
If I eat until full I maintain my weight. So to lose I have to eat less, after eating less for a while I get hungry and start to have too much food to make up for the lower calories it seems. It is not head hunger as a binger I know the difference there. I don't know if it is age or hormones but when I was at goal in 2010 I truly lost all the weight w/o hunger as I had much less of an appetite then.
So maybe it's time for a different question. What could you do in 2010 when you were at goal that you can't do now? Were you happier then? Healthier? Were your relationships better? Work life or home life better? What is it about these 17 lbs. that it is important for you to get it off even though it seems like it is a very difficult process for you. Perhaps it is time to say enough is enough and if you can eat to satisfaction and maintain your current weight, I wouldn't see anything wrong with making that choice.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

I am still overweight for my height, but have briefly considered just trying for a few more pounds and then stopping. I would also like to see my BP come down a little more.

It just amazes me when I read here about people who say that they lost all their weight without ever feeling like they were hungry.

Last edited by jeaniem; 08-27-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Perhaps it is time to say enough is enough and if you can eat to satisfaction and maintain your current weight, I wouldn't see anything wrong with making that choice.
In Jeanie's case I agree with this. I think it would be better for her to be able to eat consistently and maintain her current weight. 17 more pounds--especially from 137 to 120--is a lot to lose, and it really might be better to just focus on not bingeing, eating healthfully--and if she loses more, so be it.

Quote:
It just amazes me when I read here about people who say that they lost all their weight without ever feeling like they were hungry.
Well, I don't know about that. Are they unicorns? Because human beings get hungry. I think people use hyperbole and focus on what they want to focus on--"I never do this, I always do that". There is no one on this earth who does not get hungry sometimes.

Hang in there, Jeanie.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Goal for health and goal for weight loss are not the same. Dr Mary Vernon speaks of this. Low carb will control many diseases that affect weight gain and those can be controlled with a low carb diet which will also helps control excessive weight gain. I think as you get smaller however or want to get smaller ( as desired even if not needed) calorie or food restriction tends to be a reality. And yes you may be hungry as you change but you shouldn't be super hungry. I think NK could help. Check out that forum .
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

What do you mean when you say that you're overweight for your height? According to this calculator you're at a BMI of 25.5, which I suppose is technically overweight, but only by like 2.5 pounds. I think you *could* call that a win, though, if you feel like you're overweight then maybe not...

ETA: I totally agree that NK is great for squelching hunger.

Last edited by rubidoux; 08-27-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

I definitely have more fat to lose for sure. Just the thought of NK makes me feel bingey!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I was always under the impression not to go around hungry on low carb. I always ate until I was satisfied, and I did make it to my goal weight briefly in 2012. If appetite suppression is what you think you need, have you tried glucomannan capsules? They're supposed to expand in your stomach and help you eat less, but I've never tried them.

There's also a ton of tricks from the low calorie world. You can drink water between meals, chew sugar free gum, make sugar free jello, and so forth. The trick is finding what works for you. But as far as going to bed hungry because I thought I was "out" of food for the day, that's something that I ditched when I came to low carb from the world of calories and Weight Watchers.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #18

But I'm not talking about "going around hungry", running out of food for the day, trying to get by with gum or jello, or any of that.

I'm simply saying that hunger is a fact of life no matter what someone weighs, no matter how they eat and how much weight they do or don't have to lose. Hunger cannot be avoided entirely, any more than tiredness can be. It's unrealistic to lead people to expect that they will never feel it and don't need to experience it. But, the question is how do we recognize it, evaluate it, and respond to it.

Many people feel that low-carb allows them to recognize real hunger and respond to it differently than some other types of diets do. Many people find that eating low-carb allows them to not feel the urgent, driving type of hunger nearly as often as other types of diets do. Many people find that low-carb enables them to not prescribe a particular amount of food that can "run out" and leave them with no more permitted food to eat for the day. So there's that.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #19
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Good post, Peanutte.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #20
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
In my experience, there are 3 types of hunger (for me, at least)--

1. I am very carb sensitive, so what happened to me as a child eating a high-carb diet, is that I was literally 'driven' by constant hunger to overeat--and gain, and gain, and gain. I only learned from Dr. A when I read his first book in 1972 that it was my overproduction of insulin that drove my blood sugar so low that insatiable hunger was the result--and a lifetime of morbid obesity. I eliminated that hunger with low-carb eating, and that's the main reason for my total commitment to this WOE.

2. Because of age and medical issues, I need to seriously restrict calories to lose, and that eventually led me to JUDDD for losing my final 120 lbs. During those DDs of about 400 cal, I experienced true physical hunger at times, and I was surprised to discover that it is not an unpleasant feeling. Those of us doing JUDDD at the time used to have a saying that hunger was our body's warning that it needed to be fed, and if we didn't provide food, it was going to tap into our body fat stores. Since that was our goal, it made that 'hunger' a positive experience.

3. "Head hunger." This is what I sometimes experience in maintenance--a desire to eat (usually something off plan) that has nothing to do with true physical hunger. This is usually a small voice in my head (that I now call my 'evil twin') that tries to convince me that I 'need' to indulge, that it will make me feel good and happy, and that limiting myself is unhealthy.

This last type of 'hunger' is the kind that can easily result in compulsive overeating because for me there are 'trigger' foods that bring on an insatiable desire to eat. I've done a lot of reading, and this seems to be a common problem when a person has lost a significant amount of weight, and I feel better knowing that I'm not unique in experiencing this.

Having successfully dealt with hungers 1 and 2, I still struggle with #3, but what's life without challenges?
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Leo has a good description of what I am about to say. There is a difference between "real" hunger and "false" hunger. I had to train myself to recognize the difference between the two because I have a history of being a yoyo dieter. If I have a "set point," my body has no idea how to recognize it. If you are significantly overweight, you are probably experiencing more of the "false" hunger. Meaning that your body isn't really close to starvation, and that you are eating for other reasons. Either 1 or 3 of what Leo describes above. The way I can describe what "real" hunger feels like for me is a mild pain in my stomach that doesn't really drive me to think about eating, it is more so a reminder that I should eat soon. It doesn't have me reaching into a bag of whatever just to fill the void or fantasize about eating a lot of food. I can actually cook a meal that takes time when I am actually hungry. In the past when I was reacting to "false" hunger I would just reach for whatever was convenient to fill the void, forget cooking or preparing something with good nutritional content. The real hunger also seems to drive me towards the food with the highest nutritional value, as opposed to whatever is just convenient.

Having said all that, the principles of the shangra-la diet helped me. I didn't actually need to take the MCT oil between meals to reset my lepitin. I took MCT oil at my meals (used it in stir frys and sauces, dressings etc.) You could try that and see if it helps your hunger. It also helps to be in ketosis I think so that you are using fat as fuel and not carbs.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

I guess I need to rid myself of the notion that it is possible to lose any more weight without being hungry- I am not afraid of hunger and can usually go for long periods without eating easily, BUT the issue is sooner or later my body demands that I eat more. I get edgy, impatient and feel driven to the kitchen. Thankfully it has been legal foods but all the same I gain a little back and then the process starts over. I am finding that I can do the "low carb tricks" more water, exercise and other distractions but all that really accomplishes is delaying the eating of the food that will be eaten sooner or later anyway.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #23
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Jeanie, you look great and I wanted to congratulate you on your 51 days binge free!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Cathy
Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
I think you look great too. I'm not very far into this, so I can't really offer advice except maybe eat enough to support your goal weight and let it happen in time?

At any rate, congrats on your loss already!
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
What is is about NK that feels bingey? The carb restriction? Actually, the carbs are more flexible than induction though many are doing vlc which really helps with appetite control. Very easy to control food content .
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
What is is about NK that feels bingey? The carb restriction? Actually, the carbs are more flexible than induction though many are doing vlc which really helps with appetite control. Very easy to control food content .
Protein seems to be the only thing that really seems to have staying power with me.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
That's one of the aspects of LCHF that makes it different from other knuckle-gnawing diets--no hunger. I understand completely what you're trying to say.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
The hunger I feel on LC is NOT like my hunger off LC.
Before LC I would get hungry like an hour after I ate. I would eventually get so hungry I'd be sick and my head would be killing me. When I ate I'd have to stuff myself so I wouldn't get hungry again too soon.

Now when I get hungry my stomach growls a little and it's no big deal. I could go a couple more hours before I'd start to feel bad.

Yes, hunger is natural - its' a signal to eat.

When I say I'm not hungry it means I'm not hungry all the freakin time like I used to be. I can eat 3 meals a day and not get hungry between them.
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglgrl View Post
The hunger I feel on LC is NOT like my hunger off LC.
Before LC I would get hungry like an hour after I ate. I would eventually get so hungry I'd be sick and my head would be killing me. When I ate I'd have to stuff myself so I wouldn't get hungry again too soon.

Now when I get hungry my stomach growls a little and it's no big deal. I could go a couple more hours before I'd start to feel bad.

Yes, hunger is natural - its' a signal to eat.

When I say I'm not hungry it means I'm not hungry all the freakin time like I used to be. I can eat 3 meals a day and not get hungry between them.
I agree. My hunger on LC isn't the same as before. I don't snack all day. I rarely feel like I have to finish everything on my plate.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote