Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I agree that it is not the same kind of hunger as before, but the problem remains that after the initial big losses early on I end up having to eat low calorie to lose. This means that essentially I am following just another low calorie diet which always ends up with me getting tired of being hungry and leads to binging. One good note is that when I have given in to the hunger I eat all legal foods and have not carb binged.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
That's a good strategy, Jeannie.

I still get hungry, but it's not a ravenous hunger.
That's a big difference, as I have time to recognize the hunger signals and satisfy the hunger on a much less demanding time schedule.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Is it really possible?
In my experience, not if you're losing steadily and briskly, for long periods of time. If you're eating ad libitum and don't care how long it takes, you can definitely make it to goal with no. Hunger. But if you're using an artificial metric like a calorie limit it doesn't take into account the differing levels of energy burn and hunger you'll experience throughout life. That can lead to under eating your needs, especially after months on end of losing. I mostly avoid all hunger, but I do it by upping my calories when I AM hungry, not ignoring it.

And truthfully, the amount you have to lose and the length of time you've been doing it are contributors. If I was trying to lose twenty pounds and had never been obese, it's more likely my body could sustain slow and steady, hunger-free losses on low carb. But I've lost over 100 pounds, and I've been doing it for years, however slowly. The amount of emaciated fat tissue that is hormonals influencing my body is significantly greater than someone who was never morbidly obese or isn't hugely weight reduced. And that tissue is involved in an intricate hormonal feedback loop of energy balance and regulation. Ketosis somewhat gets around it and keeping insulin levels steady helps immensely, but it doesn't completely circumvent the issue. Maintenance behaviors and food choices are necessarily different from pre-diet because of this - if you don't manage this body carefully, you likely won't keep it. Your body will be driving upward with chemical signals like hunger and lower NEAT. It's manageable, but it requires planning and commitment (in my experience, anyway).

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 08-28-2013 at 05:46 PM..
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
But I've lost over 100 pounds, and I've been doing it for years, however slowly.
Isn't it time for a weigh-in yet???
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I am 2 pounds away from goal and don't experience hunger. I eat very high fat and don't count calories. It works for me.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I think temporary hunger is normal. All people who are naturally thin/normal weight or lost weight to get thin will experience it. I don't think you can avoid it because you will feel hungry and that's the cue to eat.

And, honestly I think it makes meals taste so much better. If I am truly hungry wow, I will really appreciate the food.

When I was fat I was never hungry because I was eating all day long so I never gave my body a chance to actually be hungry.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 08-28-2013 at 06:17 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post

hunger is a fact of life no matter what someone weighs, no matter how they eat and how much weight they do or don't have to lose. Hunger cannot be avoided entirely, any more than tiredness can be. It's unrealistic to lead people to expect that they will never feel it and don't need to experience it. But, the question is how do we recognize it, evaluate it, and respond to it.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #38
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I think temporary hunger is normal. All people who are naturally thin/normal weight or lost weight to get thin will experience it. I don't think you can avoid it because you will feel hungry and that's the cue to eat.

And, honestly I think it makes meals taste so much better. If I am truly hungry wow, I will really appreciate the food.

When I was fat I was never hungry because I was eating all day long so I never gave my body a chance to actually be hungry.
I agree. Real hunger is good. It is normal. I never fear it or wish I could never feel it. It is a good feeling. I like it.

Like you, I used to eat all the time. There was definitely something driving me to eat & much of the time I thought it was hunger but it was not. I never experienced real hunger back then.

I recall, after starting to eat LC, thinking one day, "So this is what hunger feels like!" There was nothing scary about it at all. I understood it. I still do. I would not want to go through my life without experiencing hunger.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I was thinking about this thread today in the early evening because I had worked out in the late afternoon, then after exercise I don't feel hungry for a good while, then after an hour or so I am absolutely ready for dinner! I could open the fridge and grab some cheese or something and cram it in my mouth because I'm hungry, but I know I will be sitting down to dinner in about half an hour and I can wait while the food cooks. What I need after a workout is water, not cheese.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

So if I have to be hungry to lose weight I am essentially back to doing the ole low calorie diet that always leads to binging. I guess some folks can deal with hunger but my body will drive me to eat eventually no matter how much willpower I have. I will maintain on LC easily eating to hunger , but will not lose.Something has changed when I was at goal before I ate two meals a day and never had hunger issues.

Last edited by jeaniem; 08-28-2013 at 06:35 PM..
Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I understood it. I still do. I would not want to go through my life without experiencing hunger.
And, feeling hunger just makes me so much more thankful for the food I have and that I can eat when I feel hungry.

It is a humbling experience to feel hunger and know that for many of the people on this planet hunger is a constant fact of life and there is nothing they can do about it.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
So if I have to be hungry to lose weight I am essentially back to doing the ole low calorie diet that always leads to binging. I guess some folks can deal with hunger but my body will drive me to eat eventually no matter how much willpower I have. I will maintain on LC easily eating to hunger , but will not lose.Something has changed when I was at goal before I ate two meals a day and never had hunger issues.
That does not sound like normal hunger to me. I agree; there is definitely something else going on. I wish I knew what it was.

Normal hunger come when eating reasonable calories throughout the day. It does not lead to binging.

If you are eating extremely low calories that will, in my experience, lead to binging.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #43

I feel like the whole point is being missed, and made black-and-white.

Nobody is saying it's necessary or unavoidable to go around with gnawing hunger in the background all the time, or that people need to just suck it up and feel hungry. We have been saying that it's normal to experience some feelings of hunger between times that you eat.

We often hear a lot of "I listen to my body" but how can you listen to your body if you don't go through the normal cycles of hunger/eating, hunger/eating?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
How come this poor lady has gotten two pages of replies, but no answers?

Jeanie, I hate hunger. When I get hungry, I feel panicky, weak, and frantic. When I get hungry it absolutely sets me up for a binge.

There are 2 types of low carbers from what I've seen:
Those satiated by protein and
Those satiated by fat

You have already identified you are satiated with protein.
What are your ratios? I would be eating lots of protein, very low carb, moderate fat.
Increase your protein and decrease your fat.

If you have already done that and it didn't help,
Then I suggest staying where you can eat until satisfied and maintain.

Leaving yourself unsatisfied and hungry will lead to bingeing, or a miserable life.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #45

Quote:
There have been plenty of replies to her question...just not guaranteed solutions, maybe.

Some of us suggested she go ahead and stay at a weight for which she can eat sufficient food to not feel this driving type of hunger that leads to bingeing.

None of us can solve this problem for her, but I do sympathize.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
Jeanie, I hate hunger. When I get hungry, I feel panicky, weak, and frantic. When I get hungry it absolutely sets me up for a binge.
I used to think this about myself. I even had emergency food with me bc I was so scared to be caught hungry. And if I didn't have any on plan emergency food with me, sometimes I'd freak out and eat off plan and then I was sure to binge. And then I started doing IF and I learned the very first time that I tried to do a 24 hour fast that hunger was not what I thought it was. At about 4 pm that day (just 3 hours or so before I was planning on breaking my fast) I got HUNGRY, like insanely hungry, but, thank goodness I was stuck in traffic. Had I not been stuck, I would absolutely have freaked out and thought I "needed" to eat and that it would be disastrous not to eat. That hunger was strong and it seemed to last a good long time, maybe an hour, but when it was over it was over. It didn't come back before dinner. And in fact I wasn't that hungry when I ate dinner and I didn't overeat as a result of my hunger.

After that I did have hunger that would come back, like I'd be hungry and the hunger would go away without eating and then a couple of hours later it would come back. But when it comes back it is just the same. It's not any worse or more intense. I don't know where I got this idea, but I used to really believe that hunger would get worse over time. In fact, the opposite seems to be true.

And I have never experience, since, a hunger as intense as that first time I tried IF even though I have done fasts now well over 48 hours and most weeks I probably do 5 or so 24 hour fasts.

Now when I get hungry I can acknowledge it and appreciate it. I take it as a good healthy sign and when I feel that kind of empty I know that I'm running on my own body fat.

I think anyone who feels panicky about hunger should experiment with IF'ing. I'm not suggesting that you/they adopt an IF lifestyle, just try it out a few times. My way of eating has been so much less stressful since I figured this all out.

Now, that's all about true hunger... sadly I still have issues of head hunger that I haven't figured out.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 08-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
Is your hunger more along the lines of cravings that MUST be satisfied?

I have cravings unless I eat VLC. If I have a more Atkins level of carbs, the cravings start kicking in. So, for the time being, its just VLC for me.
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Jayne,
I am glad that you found that out about yourself.

However, I have no interest in being hungry. I don't want to be hungry. I went on LC in part so I wouldn't have to be hungry.

I used to be hypoglycaemic (still could be, I don't know), but when I used to have hunger, low blood sugar hunger, I felt panicky and frantic too. I almost fainted at the grocery store.

I don't want to have a revelation or an epiphany. I just don't want to be hungry .
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Isn't it time for a weigh-in yet???
Jayne! I did weigh in before my trip to San Diego tomorrow night. I did it for a week just to get a running average. 158-159 on days I ate within my calories. ONE POUND SHY OF 100 LOST. I can't decide if I'm happy I lost nine pounds since the end of May, or just really mad that I couldn't manage that extra pound for a nice round number.

Fortunately, if we're counting from my high weight, I'm closer to 115-120 lost. But I'm officially relaxing my calorie limits (not carbs or food choices) for this trip, and then I'm back at it as much as I can stand until October. Whatever I'm at then I think I'll call goal. Thank you for asking
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Jayne! I did weigh in before my trip to San Diego tomorrow night. I did it for a week just to get a running average. 158-159 on days I ate within my calories. ONE POUND SHY OF 100 LOST. I can't decide if I'm happy I lost nine pounds since the end of May, or just really mad that I couldn't manage that extra pound for a nice round number.

Fortunately, if we're counting from my high weight, I'm closer to 115-120 lost. But I'm officially relaxing my calorie limits (not carbs or food choices) for this trip, and then I'm back at it as much as I can stand until October. Whatever I'm at then I think I'll call goal. Thank you for asking
Good grief!!! 99 pounds is freaking amazing! And I think you should be counting it ALL. Wow!

Have a great time in san diego! We're having perfect beach weather right now, imo. And if you're interested in a fun homeschooling (why do I think you homeschool?) knitting playgroup that meets friday afternoons, lmk! You would have to bring a knitting project with you, though. lol
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
Huh? It seems that most of the replies have been to her original question and are are "no, it is not possible to never experience hunger during weight loss or any other time." That answers her original question. The underlying current is that the OP has issues with binge eating, and that is what is really driving her question. But she didn't bring up the binge eating in her initial post.

Jean, have you ever seen a therapist about your binge eating disorder? Cognitive behavioral therapy has been shown to help with several eating disorders, specifically binge eating disorder and bulimia. Interpersonal psychotherapy and antidepressants can also help, but the evidence for their effectiveness is not as strong as for cognitive behavioral therapy. Therapy might give you some of the answers you seek.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 08-29-2013 at 06:42 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't have issues with binge eating, so my perspective may not be helpful to you, but when I'm hungry, I eat. If my body is telling me it needs food, I feed it. Because of life, I may have to wait a while, during which I'm hungry, but I don't go around hungry all the time, or even most of the time. I eat to satisfaction, and then stop eating until I'm hungry again, usually about 6 hours later. If it's earlier, I eat earlier. I don't worry about it. I'm not a robot, to expend the same amount of energy day in, day out. So I have hungry days and less hungry days, and I eat accordingly.

I usually eat two meals a day, because that's what is natural for me, but sometimes I eat three meals, sometimes it's two meals and a snack, and sometimes it's three meals and a snack.

I'm not breaking any records with my fat loss, but I've lost over 50 pounds since January 3.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Jeaniem,

I would think that if you are eating normal, satisfying portions of food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner --- and eating to hunger, not under or over eating, you should not be experiencing feelings of true, physical hunger in between meals which is driving you to binge.

But if that is the case, I would think either: a) something is physically wrong... thyroid problem, etc b) You are not eating enough at mealtime or c) Your binging issue isn't being brought on by true, physical hunger, but the "mental" hunger that Leo described.

If it's a - hopefully that is something you can fix by seeing your M.D If it's b, well then... eat more and if it's c) then there's no "diet" in the world --- High fat, high protein, JUDDD - that can fix that. That's something you need to work on mentally, whether it be with book, a support group, or one on one with a trained therapist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
I was thinking about this thread today in the early evening because I had worked out in the late afternoon, then after exercise I don't feel hungry for a good while, then after an hour or so I am absolutely ready for dinner! I could open the fridge and grab some cheese or something and cram it in my mouth because I'm hungry, but I know I will be sitting down to dinner in about half an hour and I can wait while the food cooks. What I need after a workout is water, not cheese.
Yassss! This happened to me yesterday. I have been working out more than usual and was starving around 6:30 pm... even though we usually don't eat dinner until 7 or 7:30.

My boyfriend went out to get us greek chicken salads for dinner, and I knew he'd be back w/i a half-hour. BUT I WAS HUNGRY NOW. WAH! (cue tiny violin) So I started looking through the fridge and cupboards for something to "tide me over" and then I stopped and put my "animal brain" in check. I was like.... "really, self? You can't wait 30 darn minutes to eat??"

So I chugged some water, and then enjoyed the HECK out of my salad!
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

I know some hunger between meals is normal. What I don't understand is how some people here continue to lose weight if they are always full. I don't think about binging when I am full, but if I eat to full I maintain my weight and don't lose. The cutting back on food to lose is where I get into trouble. I am on thyroid meds and my levels are good.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
You're not supposed to eat to full. You're supposed to eat until satisfied. I can almost always eat more when I stop eating, but I'm satisfied, so I stop, even if there's just a bit left. The times when I do eat until full, I'm annoyed with myself because I wasn't paying attention and could have stopped sooner. I don't like that full feeling, and I really hate feeling stuffed.

I'm not always full, and I'm not even always satisfied, I go from hungry to satisfied to neutral to hungry to satisfied to neutral ...

Last edited by Ntombi; 08-29-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #56

Ntombi I agree, but I think Jeanie is confused by people who say they never feel hungry.

The other thing is to consider people's goal weights. A person might eat without feeling the need to "cut back", and stay at a comfortable weight at the top of her BMI range or even higher, and say: okay, that's my goal weight. Some will decide to do that, to give themselves more maintenance calories/food. A few hundred more calories and some snacks might have made a difference in that person feeling totally satisfied or feeling deprived and struggling with it. It might make that difference for you, Jeanie, which is why I said I supported your staying where you are and not pushing to lose more. You have been around long enough to remember Bloodsugar101 aka Jenny. She made that decision for herself because it was very difficult mentally and physically for her to stay at her lower goal weight.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Jeanie- are you eating any prepared things like sausage, bacon, LC tortillas, any artificial sweetener, etc? Maybe there is something that is slowing down your weight loss and it has nothing to do with calories you consume. You may think you have to eat less calories to lose but infact there is something in your diet is preventing you from losing more weight. So if there some foods that you can identify maybe by eliminating it you can eat more calories so that you don't get hungry and still lose weight. Just thinking out loud. Trying to figure out something that can help you

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 08-29-2013 at 02:28 PM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

I could try a little cleaner low carb and see if it helps Marika that's a good thought. I am sure I can improve my menus with more thought and planning.

Peanutte- I never thought about others maybe settling at a higher weight intentionally to keep hunger in check. I guess on some level I know deep down that restriction is bound to fail yet again for me, but I really would like to be at least 135 before I try to maintain. With some thought maybe I could eat more but continue to lose very slowly?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
If I were you, Jeanie, I would clean up the foods, track the calories and allow higher calories here and there. If you feel hungry one day, just eat more food and you might find that next day you will not need as much food (this is something along the JUDDD line without actually concentrating on it). You will just listen to your body. I think calories will level out this way. Some day you will eat more some less. This is much better approach than getting hungry and leading yourself to binge.
Also with exercise you may or may not feel more hungry. I found that gentle exercises like long walk suppresses my appetite but lifting heavy weights increases it. So you may also take exercise into consideration with the amount of calories you need.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 08-29-2013 at 03:02 PM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #60

Jeanie, I suggest getting your food as clean as possible before making any other changes.

If I eat processed foods I tend to be hungry all the time. Eliminating processed foods might sound restrictive but it frees me & I stop wanting the processed foods. I can eat 3 meals and be satisfied with no cravings and no desire to snack.