Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I don't bring up my woe (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/810764-i-dont-bring-up-my-woe.html)

llisarray 08-26-2013 12:47 PM

I don't bring up my woe

So when someone comes to me asking what I am doing to lose weight, and this happens pretty much everytime I go somewhere that I haven't been in a while, and their first reaction ... in a loud voice ... is, OMG I CAN'T GO WITHOUT MY BREAD !!! Just my rant for the day. I'm gonna slap somebody one day. :stars:

mdog73 08-26-2013 12:57 PM

People just don't understand the way it works. I get the same type of comments about how much fat I eat and how many fruits I don't eat. It's not worth the time and effort to explain it to them. I just nod and move on.

suzanneyea 08-26-2013 01:10 PM

I remember he first time I heard about Atkins. I laughed at it. When people are ready, they are ready. Until then, our diet sounds insane to everyone.

jmc305 08-26-2013 01:19 PM

I can't give up my bread....can't or won't? The low fat healthy whole grains mantra has been spread far and wide for decades, so we are still the minority. I had to see the results for myself before I truly believed. But now I do and that's all that matters. Each person must find his own path. Let them scoff and have their doughnuts and diabetes if that's what they want.

fun w son 08-26-2013 01:40 PM

i just nob and say "i'm eating less and moving more... try it!"

Spanilingo 08-26-2013 02:04 PM

Not sure the problem. Im sure its true. They don't have to give up "their"'bread. Their choices are personal. in the same way, I could never give up eggs , meat or cheese by choice which is why i do LC. I'm sure I grimace watching people drink skim milk. Reminds me of dirty pinesol water!

Erin57 08-26-2013 02:05 PM

Quietly persist in what you are doing. Eventually no one will notice how you eat.

I was the outlier in my WW meetings for years. Of the 20+ people that we had over the years I am the only one who has lost weight and kept it off.

Ntombi 08-26-2013 02:22 PM

Yep, frustrating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun w son (Post 16575714)
i just nob and say "i'm eating less and moving more... try it!"

Why would you say that, though? It perpetuates the notion that eating less overall is the key, which isn't what you're doing. It also perpetuates the stereotype that fat people are lazy overeaters.

Anyway, when people ask, I tell them I'm doing Atkins, basically no sugar, no starch, and if they want more information, they'll ask.

eagle eye 08-26-2013 02:31 PM

It is very hard to explain to close minded people

DiamondDeb 08-26-2013 02:39 PM

When people ask a general question like that I usually just say I cut processed foods. I might add that I cut sugar/starch. I keep it brief.

I rarely talk to anyone actually interested in changing their own eating habits. They are usually just curious.

DiamondDeb 08-26-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llisarray (Post 16575639)
So when someone comes to me asking what I am doing to lose weight, and this happens pretty much everytime I go somewhere that I haven't been in a while, and their first reaction ... in a loud voice ... is, OMG I CAN'T GO WITHOUT MY BREAD !!! Just my rant for the day. I'm gonna slap somebody one day. :stars:

You know, I was once the person who cried, "I CAN'T GO WITHOUT MY BREAD!" :eek:

It was many years ago & not in response to someone mentioning Atkins or LC but in response to a different diet plan that required giving up all the white stuff - bread and sugar. I was horrified at the thought.

People need to be ready to make changes & the ones we have not made ourselves often sound impossibly difficult.

Karerose 08-26-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

This and
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdog73 (Post 16575652)
People just don't understand the way it works. I get the same type of comments about how much fat I eat and how many fruits I don't eat. It's not worth the time and effort to explain it to them. I just nod and move on.

this are two different things.

Many people, actually I think most people that say the can't give up their bread don't even think the fats and fruit. They are just addicted to bread (and/or pasta) and can't fathom giving it up. This is coming a bread/pasta addict. Thinking about giving up those two things was once upon a time unthinkable for me. It didn't have any connection to me thinking the diet was crazy. 30 plus years ago when I did WW they really limited your bread intake, and that was one of the hardest things for me to give up.

skinni 08-26-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karerose (Post 16575830)
30 plus years ago when I did WW they really limited your bread intake, and that was one of the hardest things for me to give up.

Yeah, it used to be common sense. "Sugar" and "more complicated sugar" both made you fat.

http://loop48.com/bump/wp-content/up...ilynmonroe.jpg
^ Marylin Monroe eats a bunless dog.

Olive 08-26-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin57 (Post 16575752)
Quietly persist in what you are doing. Eventually no one will notice how you eat.

I was the outlier in my WW meetings for years. Of the 20+ people that we had over the years I am the only one who has lost weight and kept it off.

That's amazing! Seriously, one of the most striking things I've read here :clap:

Olive 08-26-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinni (Post 16575890)
Yeah, it used to be common sense. "Sugar" and "more complicated sugar" both made you fat.

That is the most awesome thing I've ever seen!

Charski 08-26-2013 03:58 PM

I LOVE that picture of Marilyn! One of my favorites of her.

I used to try to educate people, but I gave up. They really wanted to hear what magic pill I had found to lose the weight, not that they might have to give something up or do something differently.

I just say I've cut out simple sugars and white flour. That pretty much satisfies them.

clackley 08-26-2013 04:07 PM

I have someone in my life who claims bread as a whole food group and that it is not possible to eliminate it. Hmmmmmm .... 4 yrs. later and I still having seemingly eliminated this 'food group'.

Anonymousity 08-26-2013 04:11 PM

You can't argue with success! ;)

One day you'll be at goal and they'll be clinging to their loaves of bread while wondering why they're still overweight and/or not in the best of health.

Its often pointless to try and explain things to those who are so closed minded. And yes, while our diet sounds insane to everyone else, their diet sounds insane to us!

I try not to explain my WOE to anyone. I just eat what I want to eat and if I am questioned, I say "I can't eat that----allergies." It's not a total lie as I can't eat a lot of food due to my allergies. I'm just choosing the explanation that won't have a lecture or argument ensue!

Olive 08-26-2013 04:54 PM

I've gotten every reaction under the sun and frankly don't even care any more. The worst thing you can do is act apologetic when eating around other people, just gives them more fire to critique LC. There's a way to turn down food without being disrespectful to the person offering, and still remain matter-of-fact and stand by the WOE that has given us so much health and vibrancy.

And bottom line is it's always ruder to question the person refusing the homemade pie, than to refuse the homemade pie.

Catzmom 08-26-2013 05:10 PM

No one at work asks me, but I think it's because they see me eating low carb bread and low carb tortillas as lunch, so.. but I agree with other posters, when it comes up outside work I just say I gave up sugar and simple carbs.

Janknitz 08-26-2013 05:19 PM

I have a "tiered--need to know" approach when someone asks me what I'm doing:
1. I have cut out sugars (who could argue with that???); But if they persist, then
2. And grains. If that prompts the "I could never give up _____, I just listen and nod my head. End of conversation; But if they persist, then
3. And starches. If they persist:
4. I eat a lot of vegetables and choose organic whole foods, no packaged stuff.

That's all.

I don't mention low carb, high fat, Atkins, or eating saturated animal fat or plenty of meat. If someone asks if it is "like that Atkins meat and cheese diet?" I correct them by saying I follow a moderate protein diet. But I don't go into labels and details. I don't invite their comments or arguments about the way I eat.

Only one person really pushed me, because she was interested for herself. I send people who express a genuine interest to Andres Enefeldt's diet doctor site where he has a very simple, easy, and clear explanation of a low carb, high fat diet. She cut out grains and has told me over and over again how much better the arthritis in her hands is. She does cheat with wheat, but she gets how much better she feels without it.

Arctic_Mama 08-26-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanneyea (Post 16575666)
I remember he first time I heard about Atkins. I laughed at it. When people are ready, they are ready. Until then, our diet sounds insane to everyone.

This has been my exact experience. Until someone is ready, it's just insanity and noise. That was the case for me as well, before I was ready to lose weight.

Arctic_Mama 08-26-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16575783)
Yep, frustrating.

Why would you say that, though? It perpetuates the notion that eating less overall is the key, which isn't what you're doing. It also perpetuates the stereotype that fat people are lazy overeaters.

Anyway, when people ask, I tell them I'm doing Atkins, basically no sugar, no starch, and if they want more information, they'll ask.

This, too. I try not to mislead anyone, because I think that helps nobody. I'm sparse on details unless they ask, but I also don't play into the calories in/calories out craziness. That has almost nothing to do with how I have lost and kept off so much weight. It is a side effect, but by no means the causative agent. Controlling my body's hormonal response to energy is what caused my losses, not eating less and moving more (which sounds like a great recipe for hunger, without the proper nutrient balance also applied).

Ntombi 08-26-2013 07:09 PM

Right. Now that I've restarted, my calorie intake is higher than before, and I'm still restricted from exercise, so that's not a factor either. For me, it's not about calories, but the source.

Natalia 08-26-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanneyea (Post 16575666)

this so much. i remember getting his book from the library ages ago.. and couldnt wrap my head around it. like what the heck did i just read??? impossible!

Trigger828 08-27-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

GO AHEAD AND SLAP THEM :hyst:

I just use loose terms.

Bread is the word that triggers reactions. GIVE UP BREAD!! OMG! Yup, people freak when they hear this :) I just say I cut starch foods. that includes breads but you don't have to say the B word :stars:

SkeeterN 08-27-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinni (Post 16575890)

Love this! I try not to say much to people but my DH proudly tells people about it going on 10 years for me....then says I have been a cheater but not her :laugh:

SugarFreeSheila 08-27-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

their first reaction ... in a loud voice ... is, OMG I CAN'T GO WITHOUT MY BREAD !!!

"Easy to do when caloric, fat, & portion restriction's finally off the table!"

girondet 08-27-2013 07:29 AM

I have friends who have maintained a good weight and fitness level with low fat eating and an exercise routine. Some lost a significant amount of weight too. They do counsel other people as to how to stay slim. It helps their argument immensely that the medical community still mostly agrees.That's what I kept trying to do for so long. The main thing for me was that I couldn't keep it up, finally would binge. I felt then that I couldn't give up baked goods and I don't mean just bread! I hated myself for what I thought was lack of will power.

How funny that just the opposite works best for me. High fat and fairly low carb and don't particularly have to have exercise to lose or maintain, although I do believe exercise is necessary to be healthy.

I am finding more people who do know keeping carbs low helps weight loss, and among medical people too I'm finding those who know grains are not particularly necessary or healthy. It may never become general knowledge.

When I have breakfast with my slim friend, she has whole grain pancakes covered with fruit and I have eggs and sausage. Our whole day's menus are similar.

I guess there are significant metabolic differences. Most people love her way of eating more than they do mine. If they approve of mine at all it's just as a temporary diet.

In the end, even with all my good results and great labs I have not found a single soul who wants to do what I do, not even when they tried it and got good results. They end up critical and give me warnings. Who wants to hear that?

If I feel I have to explain, and I don't usually, what works best is if I say I have early caught celiac.....which is true....

Anyway, I no longer try to spread the good news except to say "I did find out that it was grains and processed food keeping me overweight!" I think they still don't get it. I'm an anomaly they don't want to be.

I used to want everybody to know the great woe I found. It just backfired.

skinni 08-27-2013 08:50 AM

Yeah, what crazy fad diet expects you to eat meat and vegetables? That stuff will kill you!

Thank goodness you're eating well for your celiac, girondet!