Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I am tempted to switch my explanation to a terse, "Sorry, secret protocol, I'm not allowed to talk about it."
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
its funny but there are just so many woe now days. when i did atkins ten years ago i got a lor lort of head shaking but it seems information about the dangers of sugars grains and starches is everywhere. Not to mention processed foods. who doesnt know they are no good? who can argue that whole natural foods are a smart choice? it seems every where i look someone is doing paleo or grainfree or organic or what have you. i get neither static nor disapproval when people discover what i do or dont eat. when people ask i share. when offered something off plan i simply reply i cant have the sugar or grain or what have you and i never have any pressure .... some people truly wish they COULD give up the bread burt it seems impossible to them.id rather be judged for the healthy choices i make than judged for the weight that results when i make unhealthy ones....
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Yeah, it's frustrating to hear how people can't give up their bread or pasta, but at least no one's telling me how my kidneys will fail any more. When I first did this 10 years ago I got that all the time, so at least some misinformation seems to be dying out.

If anyone asks what I'm doing, I tell them. I don't apologize, mislabel or downplay it. If they can't deal with it, that's not my problem. I don't allow for lectures or arguments, though. Anyone tells me it's dangerous, etc., I just politely let them know of some sources they can use to educate themselves and leave it at that.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 4-12-14
Dr Oz once said it best. He said, "if youre going to diet, do the one that best works for you and your lifestyle"
Atkins Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
I just say I gave up sugar in all its forms.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I explain that I have given up all processed foods - all grains, sugar, and vegetable oil (paleo diet).

They then think I am eating low fat, so I add that butter and olive oil are OK. This is confusing to them.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sequins
Stats: current goal: 299 lbs
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: Pro-Atkins since 1999
I have an intelligent, lovely friend who *hates* Atkins. He'll be sitting across from me, eating a cheeseburger, fries and coleslaw. I'll be eating the burger w/cheese, no bun and a salad.

Yet, what I'm eating is unhealthy!

/end rant

No, wait, I'm not done!

What makes me the craziest is the people who don't know the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. Then, when you explain it to them, and clearly tell them the differences, they look at you like you're speaking another language!

Now I'm done.
Sequins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I hear the "I can't give up bread" comment a lot. I think you just have to choose what is important to you. I had no problem giving up bread, because I don't really like bread to begin with. However, I would have a terrible time giving up meat and cheese. This is the main reason why I decided to eat low carb. It is so much more appealing to me than low fat. I don't think I culd stick with low fat at all.

However, if someone really likes bread, and doesn't really care for fatty foods, low carb probably isn't for them. They can choose to stay overweight or find a way of eating that they can live with.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I lived on bread, popcorn, and dry cereal before starting Atkins. No meat, maybe a little turkey on a salad. So, you never know!
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I am very private, only a few close friends and family know. A lot of moms at school have tried diets in the passed and brag then fail miserable. I did not want to fall in the category, now I am the one they ask, "How do you stay so skinny?" I love it!!! I never once bragged about my way of eating. Just let them notice my gradual weightloss.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
It my little secret too, although when my weight loss becomes more noticeable, I may a bit more open in sharing, depending on who has done the askiing. So far only one person has noticed! And yes, I'd like to have more feedback along that line. I am hoping in mid-Setember when I visit my daughter whom I have not seen since January that she will notice.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
I loved bread, pasta, legumes, cake, ice cream. I was completely happy as a vegetarian--except for the pesky--and considerable--weight gain, and the fact that I was constantly hungry. LC has been a huge relief.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/208/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
I just tell them I am on a high fat diet love the look on there faces
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
I've never had anybody respond in a rude manner, fortunately. And one thing I've found is when you include the words "blood sugar levels", the entire issue is completely dismissed as understandable. I'm not diabetic, but I do have reactive hypoglycemia, which means that type 2 was likely awaiting me if I had stayed higher carb. Those close to me are supportive because they see the changes in how I feel.
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote