Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Disease prevention LC (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/810649-disease-prevention-lc.html)

Spanilingo 08-24-2013 10:09 AM

Disease prevention LC

I am grateful that I discovered lc before menopause and before I had any significant health problems . I am hoping that by eating lc early enough , that I can avoid many of the health problems that plague many that eat a high carb diet. Of course, genetics are what they are but anyone have a quick and easy list of illnesses that could possibly be avoided entirely by eating a LC diet early enough?

shelby'snana 08-24-2013 10:47 AM

Diabetes
Heart Disease
High Blood Pressure
Bad knees
Alzheimers/Dementia possibly -- biggie for me !

MtherGoos 08-24-2013 11:55 AM

When my dog was diagnosed with Cancer, the first thing that our vet said was to put him on a low carb diet. Cancer feeds on carbs, so IMO, it helps to starve cancer cells.

clackley 08-24-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16573032)
When my dog was diagnosed with Cancer, the first thing that our vet said was to put him on a low carb diet. Cancer feeds on carbs, so IMO, it helps to starve cancer cells.

My dog was diagnosed with A. D. and all the vet could do was write scripts for a variety of meds that never worked. I moved her from a common kibble diet to real meat with a bit of veg (low carb) and her symptoms reversed almost 90% over time. It was truly stunning. The vet was unconvinced and reminded me that the dog needed more than that to have a healthy diet.....

Jackie123 08-25-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16573367)
My dog was diagnosed with A. D. and all the vet could do was write scripts for a variety of meds that never worked. I moved her from a common kibble diet to real meat with a bit of veg (low carb) and her symptoms reversed almost 90% over time. It was truly stunning. The vet was unconvinced and reminded me that the dog needed more than that to have a healthy diet.....

Really?? A vet said this? Does he not know that canines are carnivores?

Ps I'm glad you figured out a solution for your pooch.

clackley 08-25-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie123 (Post 16573723)
Really?? A vet said this? Does he not know that canines are carnivores?

Ps I'm glad you figured out a solution for your pooch.

My vet believes dogs are omnivores. My sweet Sadie has since died (16.5 yrs.old) but her last year or so was without the chaos that had become her -particularly at night. Her diet calmed her brain.

It is becoming clear through research that the cause of dementia (and many diseases such as A.D., Parkinson's, and other nuerological diseases) are caused by plaque formation in the brain and this plague is damage from consuming carbs.

It is also true that arterial plague is caused by the consumption of carbs in the very same manner.

The list of health benefits from simply avoiding carbs is lengthy. I believe that in order to benefit the most from low carb is to be in ketosis. I have a thread in the N.K. forum of the benefits. Here is a link.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nu...r-ketosis.html

princessmommy 08-25-2013 06:59 AM

Diabetes, there's a Strong family history on both sides of my family
I Pray i've kept cancer away! I've read studies where carbs and especially Sugar feed cancer cells!

clackley 08-25-2013 07:38 AM

Shelly, love your new avi - very pretty.

RebeccaLatham 08-25-2013 07:49 AM

I am eating zero carb or very low carb to avoid a few hereditary diseases.

ALS, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Cancer and Type 2 Diabetes.

Check my blog below about Alzheimer's.

shelby'snana 08-25-2013 08:09 AM

Rebecca, that's very good information ! thanks ! My Dad died from Dem/Alz and it was horrible. 1 yr ago next month. It was devastating. I'm hoping by staying LC and using CO daily and getting more healthy, I won't end up with the same fate.

Trying to convince my brother/ family is a bit harder.

RebeccaLatham 08-25-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelby'snana (Post 16573947)
Rebecca, that's very good information ! thanks ! My Dad died from Dem/Alz and it was horrible. 1 yr ago next month. It was devastating. I'm hoping by staying LC and using CO daily and getting more healthy, I won't end up with the same fate.

Trying to convince my brother/ family is a bit harder.

I have five sisters and my father and lots of grown nieces and nephews. So far, only one of them has decided to change the way she eats to avoid disease.

I have two younger sisters with disease and they do not want to change the way they eat. One is 56 years old with Lew Body Dementia and the other is 52 years old with Alzheimer's.

I am 57 and I have T2D that is controlled by eating ZC or VLC.

shelby'snana 08-25-2013 08:53 AM

keep doing whatever you are doing ! You don't look your age and I'm so sorry about your sisters. ( hugs )

RebeccaLatham 08-25-2013 08:56 AM

Thanks, Laura! :heart: