Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Olive and Keytones, I am sorry to hear of your losses.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post
I think mine was yesterday.

I mean, I've had them before, but yesterday I was at the office with my husband setting up my office. I was going down in the elevator and glanced to my left to see a heavy, older, woman staring back at me. For a split second I didn't realize it was me.

I was alone in the elevator!
My mom saw a picture of herself. She looked terrible--- big old bat wings, and a large trunk on her 5-foot frame. She convinced her friend to give her the photo and she taped it onto the frig door. She lost 40 lbs in 5 months.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
When I constantly had to sit down at work because I couldn't bear to be on my feet any longer than an hour at a time!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss! I know how hard it is for my daughter. Her friends don't know what to say, and she sees them with their dads or hears them talking about their dads, and I know it hurts. It makes me so sad

It is nice for me to be able to come here and talk about it once in a while. Thank you for listening.
I very much relate to what your daughter is feeling, of course. When my friends used to talk about their dads (even complain "he always wants to spend time with me! So annoying!", which infuriated me) I felt this gnawing loneliness and had to change the topic before tears started.

It gets better, though. I started a little family of my own pretty young (at 21) and it really helped fill that lonely, "just me and Mom" void. My husband lost his Mom young too, so we sort of fell into each other's orphaned arms.

It's still recent for you two, of course, but eventually the pain will subside. There's nothing wrong with depending heavily on each other at this stage. I remember so many bleak evenings of my Mom and I dragging ourselves to a movie or dime store just to have two hours' distraction, a laugh or two. Just putting one foot in front of another. Really wish you the best

Phoebe

One of the very few things we have complete control over is what we put in our mouths. Unless someone hogs us down, pries open our jaws and force feeds us, we have total and complete control of our eating.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Emel- thank you.

Olive - I hope things turn out for my daughter as well as they have for you. I am happy to hear you have a nice little family of your own
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BumbleStang
Stats: 239/203/165
WOE: Protein Power, switched to Atkins 1/1/14
Start Date: 6/14/13
Just overall disgust with my weight gain over the past 8 years or so. I tried going to the gym and busting my rear and although I felt better, the lbs. just weren't coming off. I went to a bbq and eavesdropped on a conversation two people were having about the book "Why We Get Fat". I went home and looked up the book on Amazon and could tell by the reviews that the answer was "carbs". I remembered my success on the Protein Power diet many years ago and decided to give it another shot. I will say that the weight is coming off far more slowly this time around, but the important thing is that it is coming off. I also feel much better physically eating low-carb, no painful gassy bloatedness or heartburn that wakes me in the middle of night. I've noticed my blood pressure has come down to the normal range from the pre-hypertension range. I'm thinking more clearly and able to concentrate (very important as I work in the legal field). When I low-carbed years ago, it was just another diet to try. Now I realize that it needs to be my way of life, my body is simply not geared to handle insulin spikes.
BumbleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC80075 View Post
Mine happened in stages. Back in March of this year, I was heading down the stairs of my house, and had taken 1 step down when I stepped on our (dwarf) cat. I'm not sure exactly what happened and why I didn't reach out to protect myself -- it still all seems hazy as to why I fell the way I did -- but I went face first all the way down the entire flight of stairs. My head actually went through the dry wall and my entire body flipped around the curved part of our stairs. I ended laying feet first on the floor in my dining room. I felt and heard a snap in my neck, and was scared to death to move. My daughter called 911, and the paramedics put me on a stretcher. I was so scared they would drop me, and they assured me they would not, but they actually had to call for lift assistance, and one man warned the other "be careful, she's heavy." I was so mortified. I laid in the hospital emergency room for 2 hours in pain and the Dr. and nurses didn't even act like they cared.

They did not find any fractures, but my neck and back have still not healed. If I sneeze, the pain shoots from my back to my sternum, and I literally cannot breath. I started trying to lose weight immediately after that, but did not switch to low carb. I went from about 307 to 291.4. Then, within a few weeks, I had a Dr. appointment, and when I went in, despite my best efforts, I had gained almost all the weight back, and was about 305.

I cried about it that night, did some soul searching, and made the decision to change. I started low carb after talking with my niece and trying to decide whether or not to have weight loss surgery. This is my last attempt. If I fail, I am having the surgery.

By the time I got weighed at the gym, I was back down to 294.5. I was 291.6 this a.m. I'm hoping and praying to see 289 very soon.

I never want to go back.

Stacie
You/we can do this!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jijane21
Stats: 195/169/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: Latest start Jul 2013
Pictures were part of my wakeup call, plus the scale!

The biggest one for me though, was standing in the check out line at Walmart looking at 3 morbidly obese people. There were 2 ladies and a guy, all at least 300lbs, and their cart was full of junk food and soda. I caught myself thinking, if only they knew how destructive all that sugar was to their bodies, and then I thought but I know how destructive it is and my cart wasn't much better. Still though, I have lots of ups and downs, starts and restarts, but everyday is a new day, and every meal is a choice.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijane21 View Post
Pictures were part of my wakeup call, plus the scale!

The biggest one for me though, was standing in the check out line at Walmart looking at 3 morbidly obese people. There were 2 ladies and a guy, all at least 300lbs, and their cart was full of junk food and soda. I caught myself thinking, if only they knew how destructive all that sugar was to their bodies, and then I thought but I know how destructive it is and my cart wasn't much better. Still though, I have lots of ups and downs, starts and restarts, but everyday is a new day, and every meal is a choice.
We have a family member who is somewhere around 350 or so. She is not that old, but in extremely poor health. She doesn't take care of herself at all. She eats very poorly and smokes all day long. She walks with a cane because of her health issues. I know that she has been under a lot of pressure over the years and it has just about defeated her. I feel so badly for her, but can't make her decisions for her either. I don't want to be that way. Ever. I don't want to ever give up.
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: WW Diva!
Start Date: May 20, 2014
Not that its a "last straw" moment, but seeing as how my brother (who was skinny as a teen but put on some weight in his adult years) has lost 20+lbs since April going LC and then seeing a pic of me next to my skinny sister (see avi), theres no reason I cant do/be the same
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brr9270
Stats: 200.5/190/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/26/14
When I went to Target, and peered into the triple mirror of the dressing room! I was horrified. I realized how I do not have any full length mirrors in my house. I just stood there and cried. I got myself together, left the store without any new clothes, and decided that was it.
brr9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #72
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
love the new avi Lady KT !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: WW Diva!
Start Date: May 20, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
love the new avi Lady KT !
oh thank you!
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Last straw came today. Been waiting for it, but it hit me, so here I am. I needed to get to that point before committing for the long haul. I had to take one of my girls for a well-child checkup. There is a big mirror in the examination room and horrid fluorescent lighting. I thought I looked nice before I left home, but noooooo. Lumps and bumps everywhere. My back is F-A-T!!! And my legs, and my arms...you get the picture. I have a full length mirror at home, but I swear it lies. It is not a true representation of objects reflected therein. Seriously. And our lighting at home is dim. Practically candlelight veil. So...wake-up call...last straw...you name it. It's come and gone, and I'm on my way to Onederland. See y'all there!
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote