LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Mental/emotional hunger

I'm having a few days here where I'm struggling with the psychological aspects of low carb. I think it's because the weather has been unseasonably fall-like which automatically, in the past, meant thick soups, homemade bread and baking...comfort foods.

One thing I have realized over the last 8 months is that the low carb 'goodies' are just as much a problem for me. Low carb goodies are only low carb and good *IF* you limit them to the proper number of carbs. Eating one piece of low carb cheesecake...good. Eating the whole thing...not so. Same with the low carb pizza I made one night (creamcheese crust). 1-2 pieces...good. 5-6...not so good. I didn't do 5-6...but oh how I wanted to.

Someone in another thread commented that they thought they'd finally gotten over their overeating but found on a vacation they hadn't. I feel like this only with some foods. If it's just protein/fats/vegies...no problem. I can eat only the amount I'm allowed to have...but 'comfort' type food or goodies. Serious problem.

They say that if you do something for 90 days, it becomes a habit. How long do we have to do it to overcome our dysfunctional attachment to food?
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
How long? I wish I knew.

I just have to continue to keep my strategies in place. Portion out the food. Pair it with a basic 'legal' choice. Stay prepared. Don't get stupid (alcohol or going too long between meals and getting too hungry).

For a soup I love, I'll have a cup of it and then I'll eat simple protein and small salad right afterwards... I get the enjoyment of the tasty soup and I get the satiation from the simple meat and veg.

A lot of times for desserts, I'll bulk up the portion by piling sugar-free whipped cream on top of a small piece of treat food. And I have little rules-- I don't have dessert every night. I examine to see whether a 'cleaner' snack will do instead of the dessert, like some veg strips with a little seasoned oil or ranch dip,or a small piece of beautiful cheese w/a few celery sticks, or a cup of decaf with cream and sweetener.

It isn't perfect, but so far I've been able to do okay with portions and frequency of eating desserts. But I realize I could easily lose control, so I keep the carbs low and stay the course.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
"How long" for some of us it is a life long battle...I just have to keep telling myself that it is too hard to lose it AGAIN !! Some times this works & well some times it don't lol
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Melody, funny -- I've been noticing that you've been referring to the cooler weather a lot when you talk about food. We all have our trigger moments for OD'ing it. i'm dreading my date with my husband tomorrow because I know he wants to go see a movie! I'm a popcorn junkie.

I think you're doing amazing, and you're an inspiration to me. Recognize the progress you've made on getting the upper hand of food and don't beat yourself up.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Someone in another thread commented that they thought they'd finally gotten over their overeating but found on a vacation they hadn't. I feel like this only with some foods. If it's just protein/fats/vegies...no problem. I can eat only the amount I'm allowed to have...but 'comfort' type food or goodies. Serious problem.

They say that if you do something for 90 days, it becomes a habit. How long do we have to do it to overcome our dysfunctional attachment to food?
Hello, Melody!

I'm the person who did Atkins for longer than a year and then went on vacation and completely lost the plot with regard to excessive, compulsive overeating...

Even though I clearly have serious emotional problems that lead me to overstuff my body to an extreme and troubling degree, I still didn't deviate from the Atkins guidelines while I was on vacation. My travel buddies were telling me that I *should* have some pizza because we were in Napoli, where pizza is an art form. And that I should at least *try* some of the famous pastries while I'm there. And that the custom gelato flavors aren't available anyplace else in the world. But nothing they said made me put off-plan foods into my mouth! I just couldn't/wouldn't eat any of the foods that I felt would *poison* me.

I don't have diabetes and I was never medicated for any health conditions, despite my high level of excess bodyfat. But I had very painful, chronic lower back pain when I was at my heaviest weight and I had such low stamina that I couldn't walk more than a block without total exhaustion. I started this diet program because I was absolutely convinced that food was destroying my health and that it would eventually kill me. So I now see off-plan food as a threat to my wellbeing and, really, as a threat to my life. So I didn't eat any of those foods that I believe are dangerous to my health, no matter how extraordinary people told me it tasted.

And although I was on vacation in a place where I'd never been, and even though I was surrounded by specialty foods that I may or may not get another chance to experience, I didn't *feel* tempted by off-plan food in the way that I *felt* tempted during, for example, my first six months on Atkins. I didn't actually eat any pizza or tacos or gelato during my first six months, but it took a painful, conscious effort to resist them. While I was on vacation this summer, it wasn't really *difficult* to refuse food that I felt was harmful. So the good news, for me, is that I have definitely changed enough to value my continued good health much more than I value tasty-but-ultimately-harmful food. So something in my head has definitely changed during these past 15 months of careful, Atkins eating.

The bad news is that my obsessive-compulsive practice of stuffing myself to the point of illness reemerged while I was on vacation. And I think I'm going to need professional care to address that problem. But I believe I love myself and that I value my improved quality of life enough to do whatever work I need to do to heal my emotional illness with regard to food, just as I have been addressing my physical illness that resulted from food.

For me, it has been a learning experience. Although I am devastated by my behavior while on vacation, I honestly believe there's hope for me.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
I haven't cheated in about 18 months. The other day I was thinking about what foods I'm no longer wanting (like now most bread smells bad to me). Suddenly, I realized that the thought of macaroni and cheese meant nothing to me. I used to eat mac and cheese every few days (sometimes everyday). The idea of it now does nothing for me. I was shocked to realize I had no desire for my biggest comfort food.
Another thing I've found is Splenda makes me crave. Whenever I've made stuff in the past, the stuff I made with Splenda was really hard for me to stop eating. It made me want to overeat I use stevia now (I use a concentrate that has nothing in it except stevia and water) and I never have that problem anymore.
Yes, I do still look longing at the candy/chocolate when I'm in the checkout at the grocery store and I dream about eating cookies. But I know I'm not going to cheat. It's not worth it to me. If I get desperate I'll make some LC cookie recipe or something. I hope there will be a day when the thought of candy bars makes me gag
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by tybeeanna View Post
I just have to keep telling myself that it is too hard to lose it AGAIN !!
This is the mantra I keep replaying over and over in my head. I've lost this same weight 3x already.

I don't really know if it ever completely goes away because emotions are always going to be there. But maybe we attain better mastery over it.
gordita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandc90
It helps me to write out my feelings in a diary. Not daily but mostly during the times when I'm wanting to eat when I'm not hungry. I discovered this in a great book I read. It really works. Not always or not perfectly but most of the time if I write about how I'm feeling those cravings vanish or at least diminish to a tolerable point.

I too have a problem with overeating goodies, low carb or not.
tandc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Olive,
Yeah...I'm kind of dreading fall and winter because I know that's when I really dive into cooking and baking. Usually I'd just bake and send it into work with my husband (he works at a college where the students scarf it down like locusts), but after the raspberry cake, now I know that's not a solution anymore.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
My favorite soup for cold weather is chicken with lots of garlic, some onion and escarole. And salt! I bet it'd be good w a little HWC, too.

As for getting past our demons, I am no help there. I am fighting mine pretty hard, but not doing a great job. I have had so many days, several months-worth, where my woe felt totally right and I was so happy to be doing it. But now I can't seem to have even two or three of them in a row. Yesterday was really good for me, like I didn't even have to try. Now today seems to be all about white knuckling. I have eaten off plan foods at least one day this week. I just cannot get into a groove. And I'm not sure if or for how long I can force myself to stick to this woe if I'm not. I am really hoping that if I force myself to stick w it, I will eventually feel comfortable again.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
This is a timely thread for me. I was wondering this morning if it's possible to ever be 'normal' with food and not have to ever think about what I eat in terms of carbs, fats, calories....or do even 'normal' people have to stay aware of what they eat ( wether it be fats or calories or treats?)?

I know in the past for me, just low carbing just wasn't enough. Sure I could stick to an eating plan, not cheat, overcome cravings...but I was never addressing the underlying issues that got me to the point of needing to lose weight or eat low carb....and soon they would rise up...again and again.

This time I'm doing some hypnosis CDs in the hope of addressing those underlying issues, the social anxieties, the boredom e overheating, the treats that aren't treats....and so it goes on.
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Jayne: You've done this before. You can do it again! When I was white knuckling it, I upped my fats a bit and that seemed to help a lot.

Lucky: Yeah, every so often I give myself a pity party over my dysfunctional relationship with food and then put my big girl panties on and move forward. Everyone has something they struggle with in life. I figure as struggles go, this is less devastating than some.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
Quote:
I'm having a few days here where I'm struggling with the psychological aspects of low carb. I think it's because the weather has been unseasonably fall-like which automatically, in the past, meant thick soups, homemade bread and baking...comfort foods
Remember that your psychology is also part of your body. The healthier your body is, the healthier your brain is. So if you're having troubles with cravings, intrusive thoughts, whatever, it's not because there's a problem with YOU, with your willpower (like that's some fixed DnD stat) - it's a problem with your body. Take a multivitamin, try out some amino acids, get enough sleep, get enough sunlight, remove those foods you suspect are bad for you. Give it a few weeks, and your thinking will be clearer.

If there's some sort of hormonal trigger being caused by cold weather, dress warmly.

For baking, why not make everyone a nice cheesecake? Real cheesecake, made with real cheese, the right way? You could put your Christmas spices on it. This would be an incredibly luxurious treat for everyone else, and you can make a Splenda version completely on-plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
This is a timely thread for me. I was wondering this morning if it's possible to ever be 'normal' with food and not have to ever think about what I eat in terms of carbs, fats, calories....or do even 'normal' people have to stay aware of what they eat ( wether it be fats or calories or treats?)?
No, normal people don't track like this. That's why they think fat people are gluttons; a normal person would have to consciously TRY to stuff themselves with cake and Doritos to get fat. They can't imagine that it happens gradually, without us noticing. Since a normal person can lose that five pounds by turning down dessert for a week, they think fat people must have very little willpower. They don't know we're always on diets far more restrictive than anything they've ever had to deal with. We have metabolic issues, period. Luckily, there's a point where our bodies become more like theirs, with healthy leptin levels, no more insulin resistance, a liver that is able to function properly again to burn fat at optimum speed... it's just a question of getting to that point and staying there.

Last edited by skinni; 08-26-2013 at 08:37 AM..
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinni View Post
No, normal people don't track like this. That's why they think fat people are gluttons; a normal person would have to consciously TRY to stuff themselves with cake and Doritos to get fat. They can't imagine that it happens gradually, without us noticing. Since a normal person can lose that five pounds by turning down dessert for a week, they think fat people must have very little willpower. They don't know we're always on diets far more restrictive than anything they've ever had to deal with.
I've been surprised to find out how many *normal* people actually do track -- and track OBSESSIVELY!

Most of my good girlfriends in college were *experts* on the calorie counts of every food item -- they used to drive me crazy with that stuff! At the time, though, I just thought it was some insecure teenaged girl adjustment stuff that happened as a result of living away from home for the first time.

But then I worked on Wall Street for a few years after college and I was genuinely SHOCKED by the number of my adult, male colleagues -- who aren't bodybuilders or even gym bros -- who tracked their daily calories and made intake adjustments. For example, the office paid for dinner whenever we had to work late. And I noticed that the guys who typically went to the gym after work would order salads because working late meant that they couldn't get their daily workout done, so they would cut back on their dinner calories. But the guys who worked out during lunch or who worked out before coming in to the office would take advantage of the free meal and order something expensive. This was really interesting to me because it was so different than my approach to food.

It's even more intense now, in my experience, because so many people are wearing those Fitbits and Jawbones and Amiigos and stuff. You can't even grab a cup of coffee with anyone anymore without watching them check their calorie allowance on their phone. Seriously, I have hipster friends who constantly complain about the "intrusion" of technology, while obsessively checking their Amiigo stats. And of course, all of the people who fill up my Facebook wall with their running stats and Fitbit badges and whatever. I literally know as much about what my friends from high school are eating as I know about my own daily menus.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about it! Because I totally support whatever anyone chooses to do to take care of their health and wellbeing. I just find it really *weird* because it feels like people are putting really personal stuff out there for everyone to look at and comment on.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

That's very weird. I only know two people who count anything: my sister-in-law, who has PCOS, and a friend of a friend who is a bodybuilder. My mother, on the other hand, THINKS she's on a diet by reducing portions and eating healthier, but she's been doing this for so many years that if she were actually tracking the changes, she'd be down to nothing but water by now. My other friends just give up beer for a while when they want to lose. I'm always the only one eating a salad when we eat out together. Oh, and I should add that none of my friends are noticeably overweight (like me).

The other day someone tried to stop me from making a snack, to save me from my own gluttony. It was clear broth.

Last edited by skinni; 08-26-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
I also have experienced a lot of people at normal weight (who've never been out of normal range) tracking!! Some hide it though...so funny.

I know "normal" people who --when they OD on lunch one day, for example, go really light on dinner or skip completely, without making a big deal about it (that's my dream: to be that effortlessly natural and intuitive about eating. I can't bear not eating dinner, just for the ritual alone).
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post

I know "normal" people who --when they OD on lunch one day, for example, go really light on dinner or skip completely, without making a big deal about it (that's my dream: to be that effortlessly natural and intuitive about eating. I can't bear not eating dinner, just for the ritual alone).
I'm not sure my mother is normal in any way...lol...but she does this ( and makes her partner do it too! If we eat out with them, or even have a cooked lunch at her house she turns to her boyfriend and says ' well we won't need dinner tonight...maybe just a sandwich or some soup' and we laugh at them all the way home

But having said that, she also does things like buy some lollies, eats one or two and then throws the rest in the bin so she can't be further 'tempted'....

Maybe they do track, or have an awareness...maybe because there is so much food out there, they have to be more alert than if there was less?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinni View Post

No, normal people don't track like this. That's why they think fat people are gluttons; a normal person would have to consciously TRY to stuff themselves with cake and Doritos to get fat. They can't imagine that it happens gradually, without us noticing. Since a normal person can lose that five pounds by turning down dessert for a week, they think fat people must have very little willpower. They don't know we're always on diets far more restrictive than anything they've ever had to deal with. We have metabolic issues, period. Luckily, there's a point where our bodies become more like theirs, with healthy leptin levels, no more insulin resistance, a liver that is able to function properly again to burn fat at optimum speed... it's just a question of getting to that point and staying there.

Do you think skinni, that once you get there, you can truly relax about what you eat? Like eat like 'thin people', or is it a matter of never going there because of the way our bodies respond to sugar and carbs? Like will a piece of cake always mean a binge after...or progressive addiction? Or is it possible to eat that cake, and not seek out more?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I think there are thin people that keep track of every bite and are constantly concerned with possibly putting on weight and others who don't give it any thought at all. I have one friend who's 5'6" and weighed 135 pounds the day that her daughter was born (we were pregnant together and it was a little humiliating to stand next to her when I looked like a big beach ball!) who really gives it no thought. The thing is that she's just not that into food. It's not that she can eat everything in sight and not gain, but that she has no drive to eat.

And then I have another friend who I think is taller and maybe skinnier, who I know thinks about it. She told me once that it's been over 20 years since she's eaten a pint of ice cream. And I know that when she has a piece of cake, it's a big decision for her. But, just the same, I don't think she *could* gain weight the way someone with a deranged metabolism can. Her body is clearly not screaming for crap the way mine is, yk?

I'm sure there are also people who can put away a shocking amount of food without gaining. Those are the ones I'm really jealous of.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Yes Rubidoux, that makes alot of sense. My BFF has always been larger, her body seems to just hold fat, and she also seems to crave junk foods...and now even when she eats well, she still puts in weight....I on the other hand could eat anything for years...then it started catching up with me...then I became like her. I'm hoping to heal my body from all the years of eating waaaaaay too much sugar and carby foods...in not sure if my body will ever go back to early childhood ways of processing food well ( that's the time before sugar became a food group for me ), but I'm hoping I can get to a point of healing as much of the damage as I can and eat well...freely.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Do you think skinni, that once you get there, you can truly relax about what you eat? Like eat like 'thin people', or is it a matter of never going there because of the way our bodies respond to sugar and carbs? Like will a piece of cake always mean a binge after...or progressive addiction? Or is it possible to eat that cake, and not seek out more?
I don't know. I'll let you know when I get there. I do know it will probably help to maintain for a while before throwing things out of kilter. Last year I was near goal and started adding in Rung 3, went crazy off plan, and now I'm up to my original weight again. :/
Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Hi, my name is Cheryl and I am a foodaholic. I use food the same way other people use alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc. to stimulate my brain and raise my levels of seratonin. It happens especially when I need a boast in "happy chemicals."

Why did I start my thread response this way? Because it took me a long time to acknowledge the fact that instead of being proud that I don't drink, do drugs, gamble or participate in any other behaviour obsessively as my "drug of choice." I do in fact have an addiction that requires attention. Just because "food addiction" goes relatively unnoticed in our society, we still have to recognize that for some people like myself, it is a problem. I have recently learned that I have to treat my relationship with food as a relationship with a type of a addiction. I don't eat because I am hungry or need the nutrition, I eat because I need to boast my seratonin levels in my brain. Things like recognizing when I am "down" I will immediately look to food as the solution.

Here's an example, I was at a party Saturday night and someone said to me: "wow you are so skinny, are you feeling alright? Is your health ok?" I was taken aback by the comment because I am not really that skinny, and I had completely forgotten that the last time she had seen me I was in the obese BMI category. Then she went on to "bash" some common friends of ours (mine) who were not at the party. Her negativity had such an effect on me that I went home and immediately binged on a bunch of food. The only good news was that it was "on plan" food and it didn't knock me out of ketosis. Looking back on it now I realize that I should have just went and talked to someone else at the party instead of entering the conversation once it turned negative. But I can see now that my reaction to other people's negativity can lead to eating for emotional/mental reasons instead of nutrition.

What did I learn from this experience? I think I losing the weight is only the beginning of this battle. For people with chronic issues with weight, it is more about "why we are over-eating" and "normal" people just can't relate. For example offering me a piece of cake, is not the same as offering someone else a piece of cake. Sure, if I could go to a party an only be exposed to "positive" people everything would be great. But that isn't always the case and I am going to need strategies for when that comes up. I was thinking of keeping some type of food journal to write down the thoughts I am currently having which trigger hunger. Because besides the obvious problem with carbs, I also think that the reason I have no "set point" is because I eat for mental/emotional reasons and not nutrition. This is the main thing that I need to focus on, and losing the initial weight, was just the beginning.

I just bought some low fat soy flour that is low in carbs but high in protein. It solved some of my issues with replacing bread/baking products. If you only use 1/4 cup it is only 6 carbs. The problem is that it is low in fat, so you have to pair it with something fatty to balance out the nutritional value. You could try doing some baking with that.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I think it is physical and not mental. Some food has drug like effects on us, and food manufacturers have perfected the formulas to do just that.

Some of us are more susceptible. My mom was bipolar and had an addiction to tranquilizers. I think the stress of a crazy home life plus the wrong food caused me to over eat as a toddler. I think her susceptibility to addiction was passed on to me

It DOES get better!!! After many years I can no longer eat four heaping plates of food at a buffet. I could eat a regular plate plus seconds.

Shangri La diet under a paleo template plus low food reward (no low carb cheese cake no cheese no nuts no treats) has helped me break coffee and sweetener and chocolate addiction.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I think it is physical and not mental. Some food has drug like effects on us, and food manufacturers have perfected the formulas to do just that.

Some of us are more susceptible. My mom was bipolar and had an addiction to tranquilizers. I think the stress of a crazy home life plus the wrong food caused me to over eat as a toddler. I think her susceptibility to addiction was passed on to me

It DOES get better!!! After many years I can no longer eat four heaping plates of food at a buffet. I could eat a regular plate plus seconds.

Shangri La diet under a paleo template plus low food reward (no low carb cheese cake no cheese no nuts no treats) has helped me break coffee and sweetener and chocolate addiction.
It's definitely physical for some people -- probably for most people. Sadly, it's definitely NOT physical for me. So "food reward" approaches won't work for someone with my particular problems, because my body's hunger and satiety signals currently work the way they're supposed to.

There's just something *wrong* inside my head that compels me to eat more food despite my body sending signals of fullness and even over-fullness -- I feel compelled to keep eating past the point where I am physically choked and/or nauseous because my stomach is already too full, and past the point when just looking at food and the thought of food makes me feel physically nauseous. My body is already doing all it can to help me stay in balance. Unfortunately, there's nothing my body can physically do to stop my mental compulsions, which resist/ignore the physical unpleasantness of eating far past the point of fullness.

I'm truly happy for the people who have found physical solutions to their overeating problems! And to be honest with you, I'm a bit envious of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
I also have experienced a lot of people at normal weight (who've never been out of normal range) tracking!! Some hide it though...so funny.
HaHa! So funny! I can kind of *spot* people checking their stats when they're wearing one of the trackers that looks like a little bracelet. But there are some *stealth* trackers that people wear someplace on their body where the tracker can't be seen by the public, so it's harder to tell if they're tracking. But I notice that more and more people that I think are texting are actually logging their coffee or whatever into their Fitbit or whatever.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
I agree Trillex it is not all physical. That finding has been a bit disappointing as I really believed that if I ate low carb all my food/binge issues would be resolved.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Quote:
I'm having a few days here where I'm struggling with the psychological aspects of low carb. I think it's because the weather has been unseasonably fall-like which automatically, in the past, meant thick soups, homemade bread and baking...comfort foods.
I think that's part of the process - learning not to find comfort in food.

Quote:
For me, one of the things that helped stop cravings for abnormal amounts of dessert foods or bread was taking the amino acid supplement plan in The Diet Cure. I still enjoy these things but since I started taking the supplements a few months ago, I don't feel the urge to overdose.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I don't eat because I am hungry or need the nutrition, I eat because I need to boast my seratonin levels in my brain. Things like recognizing when I am "down" I will immediately look to food as the solution.
I used to treat food as self-medication - still do, probably, but it's less obvious now since I feel better. If I was cold, I could fix that with a bowl of hot soup. If I had a tension headache, maybe chewing would help. If my body felt tired, maybe I needed more sugar and caffeine. For any sensation that felt not right, I would end up at the fridge. This is probably how emotional eating starts.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Trillex and Jeaniem that is what I was saying in my OP! I am not over weight due to something physical, sure my deranged metabolism and sugar addiction don't help but the root of the issue isn't either of those things...it is the emotional relationship I have with food. The using food to soothe, to calm, to settle anxiety, to deal with anger and upset and disappointment etc. which is why most diets and even WLS fail. Not because people don't have the will power, or because their metabolism doesn't work, but because even at ideal weight, those issues are still there. But it's very hard to see patterns and links to emotional issues because they are our lives, they are ingrained in us from infancy...comfort=feeding, treats =rewards and happiness...and so much more.

I also envy those who have purely physical issues with food. I wish it was as simple as not eating crap again to stay thin, but I have noticed that myself and others can still over eat low carb style as long as those emotional issues are not dealt with
Old 08-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
There's just something *wrong* inside my head that compels me to eat more food despite my body sending signals of fullness and even over-fullness -- I feel compelled to keep eating past the point where I am physically choked and/or nauseous because my stomach is already too full, and past the point when just looking at food and the thought of food makes me feel physically nauseous. My body is already doing all it can to help me stay in balance. Unfortunately, there's nothing my body can physically do to stop my mental compulsions, which resist/ignore the physical unpleasantness of eating far past the point of fullness.
For a long time I have felt that what I was after when I started eating junk (and I could never have a low carb binge like you did, but I do faceplant in crap every once in a while) was the feeling of over-fullness. It is not how the food tastes/feels in my mouth, as a bite or two does nothing for me, and it is not that I'm "hungry" in any normal sense, as even eating a normal sized meal that I can tell has "filled" me up. Sometimes I believe before I get started that I can eat a normal amount of food, but as soon as I get going I know where it's going to lead me. I think there must be something about that over-fullness that does something for us... but I can't imagine what. I don't know if I eat to the point that you do, I suspect that I don't after reading a couple of your descriptions, but I do eat to the point of feeling pretty yucky. And then I feel like I wish I didn't feel that way bc I'd really like to eat MORE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
I think that's part of the process - learning not to find comfort in food.

For me, one of the things that helped stop cravings for abnormal amounts of dessert foods or bread was taking the amino acid supplement plan in The Diet Cure. I still enjoy these things but since I started taking the supplements a few months ago, I don't feel the urge to overdose.
I am gonna break down and buy that book one of these days!

Quote:
The using food to soothe, to calm, to settle anxiety, to deal with anger and upset and disappointment etc. which is why most diets and even WLS fail. Not because people don't have the will power, or because their metabolism doesn't work, but because even at ideal weight, those issues are still there. But it's very hard to see patterns and links to emotional issues because they are our lives, they are ingrained in us from infancy...comfort=feeding, treats =rewards and happiness...and so much more.
Have you ever tried IF'ing? It has really helped me get out of the habit of eating -- and even eating for all of those reasons. Obviously I still have issues. But I do think that losing the *habit* has been a great thing for me. It's kinda funny bc now if I eat off plan foods, I feel a little bit like a fish out of water, like I don't quite know how to proceed with it. Of course, I usually do once I've gotten started, but maybe if I can shore up that feeling it will help me.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
differences

I think one of the main things that sets eating disorders/dysfunction/compulsions/addictions apart from smoking, drinking, gambling, etc., is the fact that food is the only addiction from which we will never be able to completely walk away. The addict must constantly grapple with his/her addiction. We can give up the others and life will be sustained. Not so with food. That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying food. Our goal should be to get--and keep--it in perspective! Easier said than done, huh?

Last edited by dgidaho; 08-27-2013 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: poor grammar...lol
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote