Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Have you ever tried IF'ing?
I'm sorry I don't know what IFing is. Can you explain or point me in the direction of an explanation? Am curious!
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
For a long time I have felt that what I was after when I started eating junk (and I could never have a low carb binge like you did, but I do faceplant in crap every once in a while) was the feeling of over-fullness. It is not how the food tastes/feels in my mouth, as a bite or two does nothing for me, and it is not that I'm "hungry" in any normal sense, as even eating a normal sized meal that I can tell has "filled" me up. Sometimes I believe before I get started that I can eat a normal amount of food, but as soon as I get going I know where it's going to lead me. I think there must be something about that over-fullness that does something for us... but I can't imagine what. I don't know if I eat to the point that you do, I suspect that I don't after reading a couple of your descriptions, but I do eat to the point of feeling pretty yucky. And then I feel like I wish I didn't feel that way bc I'd really like to eat MORE.
You have succinctly and perfectly summed up exactly what I feel! I honestly don't understand what it is about the "fullness" that drives me. And I think the fact that I was over-stuffing myself with anchovies and some fairly plain fish is what really made me realize and accept that I'm going to need therapy to address this problem. Because if I had been filling myself with ice cream or pastries, I think that would have been kind of *normal* -- but grilled anchovies? I feel like there's something very *abnormal* about that.

I don't *feel* like my life is missing anything that would drive me to try and fill a hole. And I've been eating to extreme excess since I was a child, but I *feel* like I had a very happy childhood. There's clearly something going on that I'm not consciously aware of.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
For a long time I have felt that what I was after when I started eating junk (and I could never have a low carb binge like you did, but I do faceplant in crap every once in a while) was the feeling of over-fullness. It is not how the food tastes/feels in my mouth, as a bite or two does nothing for me, and it is not that I'm "hungry" in any normal sense, as even eating a normal sized meal that I can tell has "filled" me up. Sometimes I believe before I get started that I can eat a normal amount of food, but as soon as I get going I know where it's going to lead me. I think there must be something about that over-fullness that does something for us... but I can't imagine what. I don't know if I eat to the point that you do, I suspect that I don't after reading a couple of your descriptions, but I do eat to the point of feeling pretty yucky. And then I feel like I wish I didn't feel that way bc I'd really like to eat MORE.

I am gonna break down and buy that book one of these days!

Have you ever tried IF'ing? It has really helped me get out of the habit of eating -- and even eating for all of those reasons. Obviously I still have issues. But I do think that losing the *habit* has been a great thing for me. It's kinda funny bc now if I eat off plan foods, I feel a little bit like a fish out of water, like I don't quite know how to proceed with it. Of course, I usually do once I've gotten started, but maybe if I can shore up that feeling it will help me.

I think that it is more than one thing that drives us to "faceplant"..!
I have the book The Diet Cure.
I agree it has been very helpful for me. L-Tyrosine particularly.
Many books that explore food and their affects on us line my bookshelves.
If it has value, I keep it...if it doesn't...Goodwill gets my donation!
My own personal journey was sparked by --the now out of print-- 'Listen to the Hunger'. You can find it in used book sections of Amazon.
It was so impressive to my generation (retired now) type of thinking, I found my emotions smeared all over the pages of that little book.
My own obsession of finding new things to replace the old ones (foods), learning from any/all websites/podcasts/blogs ....and finding if they apply to me...self experimentation...is all key.
If I don't "keep after it"...I am in danger of losing it.
So finding "The Joy is in the Journey"....(the saying on my New coffee cup) is a daily search.
Life keeps changing...so I keep looking!
I just know that Low Carb will be my forever focus.
The purchase of a glucometer/strips has been an eye opener of how foods affect me...since I know there is history of Diabetes in my family...prevention is better than cure.
Staying Low Carb is not only about keeping the weight off....it is about keeping healthy!

About IF-ing...just having the high fat drink in the AM has been liberating...and I didn't collapse from hunger...quite the opposite! Intermittent Fasting has found a believer in me.
Each of us are different...we have to find what is best for ourself..
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgidaho View Post
I think one of the main things that sets eating disorders/dysfunction/compulsions/addictions apart from smoking, drinking, gambling, etc., is the fact that food is the only addiction from which we will never be able to completely walk away. The addict must constantly grapple with his/her addiction. We can give up the others and life will be sustained. Not so with food. That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying food. Our goal should be to get--and keep--it in perspective! Easier said than done, huh?
I used to believe that was the case for me, but then realized that it is not 'food' that I'm addicted to. It's the carbs...and those I can completely walk away from and deal with them in the same manner that alcoholics deal with alcohol. I can sustain my life without those carbs.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I used to believe that was the case for me, but then realized that it is not 'food' that I'm addicted to. It's the carbs...and those I can completely walk away from and deal with them in the same manner that alcoholics deal with alcohol. I can sustain my life without those carbs.

Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
It's not just the food I am addicted to either it's using food to make watching TV or reading even more pleasureful. For me this is a huge thing. I can go through a 1/2 gal. of ice cream in 20min. if I have a book in my hand. But if I am not reading a cup or so
will satisfy me. About a year and a half ago I had given up eating and reading and lost
about 45 lbs in 6 months on JUDDD and i was defintly not low carbing. Well I had some
emotional isues come up and started back eating when I read. I worked through the emotional issues but just couldn't give up the eating when I read till a little over 2 weeks ago. So far 10 lbs have more or less fallen off.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
I have obsessive food thoughts but lately I've noticed that when my carb level is 10 or less it is very much improved. I didn't set out for that level and played around with lots and lots of variations including higher fat which does work for appetite and improved sanity but I lose much much slower. Less than 10 carbs makes life more manageable and the scale moves a tiny bit faster. I don't like it necessarily but it is what is for me.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Hmmmmm.....Aomiel, that's a good point. A fine line of distinction, because those carbs are still in a required category (food), whereas drugs, alcohol, etc., are not, but if we separate them into their own category.....hmmmm.....you've given me some "food for thought"!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgidaho View Post
I think one of the main things that sets eating disorders/dysfunction/compulsions/addictions apart from smoking, drinking, gambling, etc., is the fact that food is the only addiction from which we will never be able to completely walk away. The addict must constantly grapple with his/her addiction. We can give up the others and life will be sustained. Not so with food. That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying food. Our goal should be to get--and keep--it in perspective! Easier said than done, huh?
This is so true! Because you need food to function it's not an addiction that you can just block out of your life. I'm in therapy right now for binge eating disorder and I take Topamax. The Topamax has taken away all my carb and sugar cravings and the therapy is helping to retrain my mind.
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiltmomof2 View Post
This is so true! Because you need food to function it's not an addiction that you can just block out of your life. I'm in therapy right now for binge eating disorder and I take Topamax. The Topamax has taken away all my carb and sugar cravings and the therapy is helping to retrain my mind.
Really!? I have wanted to try the Topamax for the same reason. Do you have any side effects from the med?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Really!? I have wanted to try the Topamax for the same reason. Do you have any side effects from the med?
For the first few days I had mild tingling in my hands but that was all.

I went to the grocery store Thursday and faced all my normal binge foods without any urge to buy or eat them. It was amazing!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

You may already know this but it is widely used for eating disorders because it does diminish the cravings.

Some people cannot take it though because it leaves them in a mental fog. I haven't had that problem.

It's cheap and its worth a try!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks. Does your therapist prescribe it or your primary Dr? How long have you been using it?
Old 09-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks. Does your therapist prescribe it or your primary Dr?
My doctor does!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiltmomof2 View Post
My doctor does!
Hope I am not being too nosy but does your Dr. require you see the therapist and how expensive is the therapy? I have heard that it is hard to find a therapist that deals effectively with eating disorders. I guess I would be limited to whoever my insurance would cover.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hope I am not being too nosy but does your Dr. require you see the therapist and how expensive is the therapy? I have heard that it is hard to find a therapist that deals effectively with eating disorders. I guess I would be limited to whoever my insurance would cover.
My doctor does not require therapy and yes it was very hard to find an eating disorder therapist.

You can also look into overeaters anonymous. They have Internet meetings and email loops.

Also if you think you really have a problem I recommend the books Locked up for eating too much by Debbie Danowski and 50 Ways To Soothe Yourself Without Food by Susan Albers. I have found a lot if help and inspiration in both of those!

You can always send me a PM also. I don't mind. It's a complex problem!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #47
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks. I tried OA but it wasn't for me. I'll look for those books.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
What exact "low carb goodie" are you eating? If they're Atkins bars or some other brand they can trigger cravings. These forums are full of people who've had it happen. They lead to binges.. might as well eat a real candy bar. I think it's like an alcoholic trying to quit drinking by having one beer a day.

I don't know what you mean by "comfort foods"..it sounds like cravings. But I can binge on low carb foods.... I didn't have the best week..it's hard caring about food/weight anything when you're waiting for your dog die. Somehow eating makes you stop thinking. I actually wasn't "craving" anything. But anything I binged on kept me in ketosis even if I didn't lose a pound this week.

Last edited by UghNowWhat; 09-14-2013 at 11:47 AM..
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
I'm going to make peace with this addiction. The more I worry about it the bigger the issue grows. Ok, I accept that this is my struggle. If you're human you probably have some struggle. I'm making friends with my wonkiness.
I'm going to work around it. Low carb helps me do that. It's not perfect but it's my medicine and that's ok.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
I'm going to make peace with this addiction. The more I worry about it the bigger the issue grows. Ok, I accept that this is my struggle. If you're human you probably have some struggle. I'm making friends with my wonkiness.
I'm going to work around it. Low carb helps me do that. It's not perfect but it's my medicine and that's ok.
Very good way to look at things. I have told myself in the past that if I just eat low carb I will never feel the urge to binge...yeah right! I waste more time analyzing and recommitting to something that is just not going to happen. Low carb will help lessen those urges and that will just have to be good enough!!
Thank you so much for posting this I have always been afraid to not try harder or find the one and only solution.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seepferdchen
Stats: 168/135/132 5'11''
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1. Jan. 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
There's just something *wrong* inside my head that compels me to eat more food despite my body sending signals of fullness and even over-fullness -- I feel compelled to keep eating past the point where I am physically choked and/or nauseous because my stomach is already too full, and past the point when just looking at food and the thought of food makes me feel physically nauseous. My body is already doing all it can to help me stay in balance. Unfortunately, there's nothing my body can physically do to stop my mental compulsions, which resist/ignore the physical unpleasantness of eating far past the point of fullness.

I'm truly happy for the people who have found physical solutions to their overeating problems! And to be honest with you, I'm a bit envious of them.
You sound just like me! I've found great help in the book Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen.
Seepferdchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Also I thought I'd add, chromium GTF and L Glutamine do help some. The most helpful thing though is retraining your brain to find new ways to cope with stress/anger/boredom/frustration/ect. Ways that don't involve food.

50 Ways To Soothe Yourself Without Food is a very good book to help with that.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #53
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Very good way to look at things. I have told myself in the past that if I just eat low carb I will never feel the urge to binge...yeah right! I waste more time analyzing and recommitting to something that is just not going to happen. Low carb will help lessen those urges and that will just have to be good enough!!
Thank you so much for posting this I have always been afraid to not try harder or find the one and only solution.
Thread jump, sorry! Jean, send me an email, I have something for you on this subject!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote