Old 08-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pommychic
Stats: Start/68kgs/GW59kgs
WOE: WW
Start Date: April 2011
Question about counting net carbs...

Hi
I am following Dr Clarks, High Protein Diet where carbs are restricted to 40 carbs a day. So far, it's going really well, I feel great and can tell the weight is coming off

Yesterday, I didn't have time to make lunch so I bought a pack of Atkins daybreak bars to pop in my bag as I was going out. On the pack, it said 3 grams net carbs per bar. Great! But when I came to log the details on my tracker, the carbs came in at a whopping 10 carbs! I looked into this further and can see that there is a difference in whether you count net carbs as opposed to the carbs you see on the nutritional information. I am confused now as to which carbs I need to pay attention to. Those bars were yummy and filling but I won't be eating them if they are costing me 10 carbs! So my question is, should I count net carbs or just the number of carbs that are shown as, well carbs! I have checked the book and nothing is mentioned.
pommychic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I'm not familiar with the plan, but if the book or plan you're following doesn't mention net carbs, and especially subtracting sugar alcohols, I would count them all.

I do Atkins, but I don't do net carbs either.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommychic View Post
I am confused now as to which carbs I need to pay attention to. Those bars were yummy and filling but I won't be eating them if they are costing me 10 carbs! So my question is, should I count net carbs or just the number of carbs that are shown as, well carbs! I have checked the book and nothing is mentioned.
Some people deduct the fiber carbs. Personally, I don't because I've found they make a difference for me on my blood glucose which means they probably make a difference in other ways.

I'm not familiar with the diet you're doing, but generally, if it's low carb, then carbs can be critical to whether or not you lose. My .02...count all the carbs and then you're sure you aren't going over. Remember that other foods (like eggs and cheese) also have carbs so if you're not counting the hidden carbs in these types of foods, they can add up quickly when piled on top of the 40 obvious carbs.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sugar alcohols are something that I try to avoid completely.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I don't care for the bars because they contain sorbiol and/or malitol (sugar alcohols).
I will use other sugar alcohols----erythritol and xylitol because for me, I believe I do not absorb all the carbs from them, and they cause me no gastric distress. I count part of the carbs listed for those. For example, truvia has erythritol in it and says it is 3 g carbs per 3/4 tsp. I count it as 1 carb because I've read evidence that 25% of the carbs in erythritol are absorbable by some people. For xylitol, I count it as 50% of what the label says.

That being said, I use them sparingly.
If I ate malitol or sorbitol, which I don't, I would count them because I have not found evidence about how much of them are unabsorbable, and they make my tummy feel bad.