Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Starting Atkins -- How do I avoid hell on Earth? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/810602-starting-atkins-how-do-i-avoid-hell-earth.html)

starship5 08-23-2013 02:19 PM

Starting Atkins -- How do I avoid hell on Earth?

Hello,

I've been on Atkins before and I have lost huge amount of weight on it. Once I get past the first month, I feel very very good on a low carb diet.. However, the first few weeks are absolute hell on earth. Despite the fact I try to eat several times a day and and eat a decent amount of green leafy vegetables. I always end up feeling awful. my head will hurt, I have no energy, I get very moody, and I feel exhausted. Are there any way to prevent these feelings other than consuming carbo hydrate? I'm considering trying out MCT oil to provide energy for my brain. But will MCT all actually be a substitute for glucose? Do any of you have any ideas on how to go on Atkins without feeling so awful? When I'm on Atkins I can lose a pound a day or more easily. I know I need to go on Atkins because I am overweight and I can tell my blood sugar is out of whack. Thanks for any help you can provide.

starship5 08-23-2013 02:23 PM

I would also like to say that I am considering trying bullet proof coffee with Kerry Gold unsalted butter.

Blue Skies 08-23-2013 02:48 PM

A cup of chicken broth does wonders when you're feeling low energy in those first weeks. LC can result in dehydration and a salt deficit. You must drink lots of water, which in turn can flush out a lot of salt. Hence the chicken broth. The caveat is if you have blood pressure/salt issues.

starship5 08-23-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16571911)
A cup of chicken broth does wonders when you're feeling low energy in those first weeks. LC can result in dehydration and a salt deficit. You must drink lots of water, which in turn can flush out a lot of salt. Hence the chicken broth. The caveat is if you have blood pressure/salt issues.

That is a good idea thank you. However I have to be careful because if chicken broth has MSG it can give me headaches.

Olive 08-23-2013 03:21 PM

Natural chicken broth (as in, boil chicken parts with a chopped up onion, garlic and celery for 3 hours) has no msg.

Half an avocado with a splash of soy sauce also works wonders.

starship5 08-23-2013 03:39 PM

I'll have to look up the carbs in an avocado. It sounds like a good idea. I'm excited about going on Atkins again. I know when I lose the weight and gave been on the diet for a month I'll feel great. The first few weeks are just a little scary. When I say I feel bad the first few weeks, I mean horrible. Part of it is due to my current eating habits.

jmc305 08-23-2013 05:53 PM

How many vices are you trying to give up at once? If you are trying to get off caffeine AND carbs at the same time, that might be what's causing the headaches. Or it could just be sugar withdrawl. I recommend a book called "the Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. She has an amino acid supplement program that will help a lot with cravings.

I never get induction flu because my body can't take the jolt of eating a bunch of carbs one day, then jumping into induction the next. So I skip Induction and focus on eliminating one bad food group at a time. It seems a lot gentler on my system as well as my psyche.

skinni 08-23-2013 06:42 PM

Seconding Julia Ross and broth. Also, make sure you're taking a multivitamin every day.

starship5 08-23-2013 08:41 PM

thanks for all the advice everybody. I am planning on trying everything I can to avoid feeling so bad when starting the Atkins diet. I usually, on Atkins, drink several glasses of water a day, take a vitamin, and limit my coffee intake. I used to be addicted to coffee but now I have limited myself to know more than one or two cups a day.the one thing I think may help me more than anything else will be MCT oil. However, I just hope it does not give me the runs or diarrhea. Are there any other supplements or foods that could help substitute for glucose?

Aomiel 08-24-2013 06:24 AM

I make homemade chicken broth but I no longer just dump the chicken in a pot and boil it - flavorless. I cut a whole chicken up and put the back and wings in a pot with a large onion, quartered (and leave the skin on the onion). Brown it all up (the onion will sort of carmelize) over medium high heat. Then turn down to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Then toss the rest of the chicken in the pot along with 1-2 bay leaves, cover with water and bring to a boil. Immediately turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour. This makes the yummiest chicken broth...and you have chicken for chicken salad.

This last time I started on low carb, I increased my fat. Right now they're around 71%, but I looked back at my food log and it looks like my fats were around 84% during the first couple of weeks on low carb. I used more when cooking my eggs, added sesame oil to my broth, etc. I actually did not go through carb withdrawal and I wondered later if it was because of the fat and the broth. I only ate 3 meals a day so the broth was my go to in between meals until I could get used to only eating 3 meals.

emel 08-24-2013 07:31 AM

For healthy persons with no heart or kidney issues, complying with the low carb plan makes us go through salt differently than when we're not eating low carb.
It's called the natriuresis of fasting.

Solution:
2 cups full salt broth per day or drink salt water (sea salt preferred). Your goal is to add 1-2 g sodium to your daily plan. Swanson's Natural Goodness 33% less sodium chicken broth is msg-free. I add 1/4 tsp sea salt to make up for the "33% less sodium" part.

Also, Phinney and Volek recommend potassium and magnesium, again assuming healthy, non-heart or kidney issue person.
They are not specific to the potassium dosage. I take 400-500 mg.
They recommend 3 slow mags per day to get started. I do 1 or 2 now, but at the beginning I took 2.

And I take a multivitamin, but not a mega-dose. Just RDA amounts.

Olive 08-24-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16572593)
I make homemade chicken broth but I no longer just dump the chicken in a pot and boil it - flavorless. I cut a whole chicken up and put the back and wings in a pot with a large onion, quartered (and leave the skin on the onion). Brown it all up (the onion will sort of carmelize) over medium high heat. Then turn down to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Then toss the rest of the chicken in the pot along with 1-2 bay leaves, cover with water and bring to a boil. Immediately turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour. This makes the yummiest chicken broth...and you have chicken for chicken salad.

This last time I started on low carb, I increased my fat. Right now they're around 71%, but I looked back at my food log and it looks like my fats were around 84% during the first couple of weeks on low carb. I used more when cooking my eggs, added sesame oil to my broth, etc. I actually did not go through carb withdrawal and I wondered later if it was because of the fat and the broth. I only ate 3 meals a day so the broth was my go to in between meals until I could get used to only eating 3 meals.

You're right -- I forgot to mention the browning! The color of the broth is also amazing.

anglgrl 08-24-2013 10:04 AM

Make sure you're getting 5g sodium a day.

Spanilingo 08-24-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc305 (Post 16572182)
How many vices are you trying to give up at once? If you are trying to get off caffeine AND carbs at the same time, that might be what's causing the headaches. Or it could just be sugar withdrawl. I recommend a book called "the Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. She has an amino acid supplement program that will help a lot with cravings.

I never get induction flu because my body can't take the jolt of eating a bunch of carbs one day, then jumping into induction the next. So I skip Induction and focus on eliminating one bad food group at a time. It seems a lot gentler on my system as well as my psyche.

I did this too. I slowly eliminated carbs before doing induction. I don't think LC needs to be painful.

Patience 08-24-2013 11:21 AM

Atkins induction allows 1/2 avocado a day, that's what I recall at least.
I agree with what people are saying about salt. I've even taken to salting my coffee (better than it sounds!). Some extra potassium can't hurt. It's tricky balance for me.

Introduce MCT oil gradually . . . I don't have bad physical effects (magnesium is another story, tho), but some people do. CO is much the same as MCT, so you could start with 1 tsp of MCT with the balance made up with CO. Just a suggestion.

If possible start when you are not under a lot of stress . . . not always possible, I know.