LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Question about caffeine and energy levels

Hi guys

I want to know (especially from people who've been low-carbing for at least a few weeks now) do you still drink coffee, black tea or other caffeinated drinks on a regular basis, for energy/alertness (i.e. not because you enjoy the taste)?

I've read several articles that say that once people go into ketosis, they stop needing caffeine's extra energy boost.

Before I went LC, I would drink coffee and black tea but purely to keep me alert at work, not because of taste. I've been on LC almost a month now (with a one-week stupid carb vacation taken off in the middle) and I haven't had caffeine since, because I wanted to see if ketosis would have that supposed caffeine-replacing effect.

It hasn't. I mean, I do feel much more energized in general (I wake up super early, don't feel half-asleep in the afternoon), but I miss the extra kick. I just had a cup of coffee with HWC and 2 drops of liquid sucralose and I feel amazing.

Just wondering if I'm the only one that needs that boost, or if this is normal even in ketosis. Thanks!!
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Well I've only had decaf for decades because it had would cause blood sugar crashes. However, I've been reading some things about the positive aspects of caffeine vs decaf so I started drinking my morning coffee with caffeine...cautiously...about 2 months ago. So far no problems, but I can't say I feel any more energetic either but then the ketosis gives me that constant energy.

I probably didn't help, huh?
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I have more energy eating LC, but still need 2 cups of coffee in the morning and always have another cup after dinner or sometimes earlier if I feel I need some energy. I like the taste of coffee with just a touch of cream and no sweetener, but really drink it for the energy and I suppose somewhat that is a comfort food thing as well.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks guys!

I've never been that crazy about coffee's taste, but when I took a sip of mine this morning (after a month of going cold turkey), I swear I heard a Lionel Ritchie love ballad in my head. Must be the HWC LOL
Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
Thanks guys!

I've never been that crazy about coffee's taste, but when I took a sip of mine this morning (after a month of going cold turkey), I swear I heard a Lionel Ritchie love ballad in my head. Must be the HWC LOL
Yeah...it's the cream.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
Thanks guys!

Love this...bahaha
I like my coffee regular or decaf because I like the taste...too much or too many shots of espresso in my drink cause irritable bladder and sleeplessness.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

haha!

I just took another sip and heard "I Can't Live If Living Is Without You"!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/287.2/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I drink tea and coffee for taste; caffeine has never really affected my energy levels.

Another unhelpful reply, huh?
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I drink tea and coffee for taste; caffeine has never really affected my energy levels.

Another unhelpful reply, huh?
Yup, but thanks for stopping by! j/k
Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Up untill about a year ago, I had NEVER drunk coffee...like ever! Didn't think I liked it...then I had a cup one day....o...em...geeee! Wow! It was the most amazing feeling! I kept it to a minimum, not drinking that much as even one cup made me jittery ( only ever had proper coffee, never instant).... Since I have been low carbing, I find I have alot more energy generally, but have started having a cup with cream a few times a week to replace breakfast...can't quite go the fat black ( coffee and butter) but it does make the days I have it feel super awesome extra alert and aware and even more energy than the non caffeinated days...it also feels like it boost my weight loss.....
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote