LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blondie79
Stats: 215/180/155
WOE: Atkins & gluten free
Start Date: 6/2/2013
Stalled

I started two and a half months ago on the low carb diet & lost over 20 lbs (I have 35 left to go). I have not lost a pound in 2 weeks & I'm really starting to feel the frustration. I am spot on eating right. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas how to break this stall?
blondie79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Yes, it has happened. Two weeks is not a true stall. It is just a pause in your weight loss. If you are eating right you don't need to change anything. You just have to wait and let your body catch up.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Yes, it has happened. Two weeks is not a true stall. It is just a pause in your weight loss. If you are eating right you don't need to change anything. You just have to wait and let your body catch up.
What Misti said. I believe Dr. Atkins says it isn't a real stall until it's been 6 weeks. I've gone over 3 weeks without loss. Then all of a sudden, a big whoosh. IMO, some folks start to panic too soon when weight loss slows, and run the risk of over tweaking what they're eating---sometimes to the point they land somewhere much harder to sustain.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie79 View Post
I started two and a half months ago on the low carb diet & lost over 20 lbs (I have 35 left to go). I have not lost a pound in 2 weeks & I'm really starting to feel the frustration. I am spot on eating right. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas how to break this stall?
Hey there! A true stall is 6 weeks without pounds or inches lost, so keep track of how your clothes feel, too! I know stalls can be frustrating.

Call it a "Practice Maintenance" instead, since most of your life will be a grand stall called maintenance! You're doing GREAT!

cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
I will add to these (very wise) comments, that as much as we should be zen and trust that it's not a "real" stall, it's still really disheartening and some of us may be at risk of following off the wagon. If you feel that way, you might want to consider introducing some tweaks which have proven to help many LCF people break through a slower weightloss period -- increasing fat, decreasing carbs even more, intermittent fasting. All those slightly extreme temporary changes are preferable to you potentially sabotaging your hard work!

I only give this advice because I wish I'd had it, when I was frustrated from slow weight loss ("only" 7 lbs. in 2 weeks) and decided to go on a 1-week carb extravaganza -- the stupidest thing I could've done of course!
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Hey there! A true stall is 6 weeks without pounds or inches lost, so keep track of how your clothes feel, too! I know stalls can be frustrating.

Call it a "Practice Maintenance" instead, since most of your life will be a grand stall called maintenance! You're doing GREAT!

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
And another one from me.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Quote:

I wonder how long it takes the scale to catch up? This time around (I hate even saying that), I am smaller at the same weight than I was before but man it makes my TOPS evening weigh- ins tough! When I was at goal in 2010 it was the reverse my scale weight was lower but it took forever to drop clothing sizes.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
See this is why I dislike the 'faster is better' mindset.
Why worry? Do the best you can. Learn stuff and practice it. Acknowledge that this is a lifestyle, not a diet.

I haven't lost for two weeks, but I'm lighter than when I started and I feel well, and I know I'll lose more eventually, while eating delicious stuff that's good for me.
emel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
I know faster is not necessarily better, but I also know how quickly I can lose hope if I don't see progress at least weekly. I know this is a carry over from my yo-yo dieting and binging eating and that it is not a healthy attitude in general but nonetheless it persists.

Last edited by jeaniem; 08-21-2013 at 12:15 PM..
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Ugh, I hear you Jeanie. Sometimes I need some positive reinforcement from the scale. I got down to 153 about 3 1/2 weeks ago and have bouncing around between 155 and 158 ever since. Gah! I was sure I was going to be down this morning but I was still above 155 and .2 above yesterday. But, OP, I think it is true that this sort of slow down is often followed by a good whoosh. Any day now!!!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Quote:

I LOVE The way you think!!
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
I will add to these (very wise) comments, that as much as we should be zen and trust that it's not a "real" stall, it's still really disheartening and some of us may be at risk of following off the wagon. If you feel that way, you might want to consider introducing some tweaks which have proven to help many LCF people break through a slower weightloss period -- increasing fat, decreasing carbs even more, intermittent fasting. All those slightly extreme temporary changes are preferable to you potentially sabotaging your hard work!

I only give this advice because I wish I'd had it, when I was frustrated from slow weight loss ("only" 7 lbs. in 2 weeks) and decided to go on a 1-week carb extravaganza -- the stupidest thing I could've done of course!
Good point!!
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: frank
Stats: 1993 ... 388 lbs today 235 lbs ... day by day
WOE: Atkins .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
See this is why I dislike the 'faster is better' mindset.
Why worry? Do the best you can. Learn stuff and practice it. Acknowledge that this is a lifestyle, not a diet.

I haven't lost for two weeks, but I'm lighter than when I started and I feel well, and I know I'll lose more eventually, while eating delicious stuff that's good for me.
I don't get on the scales, only every 6 months at the doctors office, I would never know about a stall .... my goal is 1-2lbs a month ..... that started 20 years ago and 160lbs later ... slow is better believe me ...
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I don't get on the scales, only every 6 months at the doctors office, I would never know about a stall .... my goal is 1-2lbs a month ..... that started 20 years ago and 160lbs later ... slow is better believe me ...
Now this is truly awe inspiring!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
What's your menu like? Do you use any trackers? Do you measure out your food? (like using a spoon for hwc)? What do you drink?

Sometimes it's a true stall and other times it's because we are doing something that stalls our weight loss like eating too many carbs, too many calories, or eating lc products that are known stallers.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote