Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Stalled (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/810466-stalled.html)

blondie79 08-21-2013 07:16 AM

Stalled

I started two and a half months ago on the low carb diet & lost over 20 lbs (I have 35 left to go). I have not lost a pound in 2 weeks & I'm really starting to feel the frustration. I am spot on eating right. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas how to break this stall? :dunno:

Mistizoom 08-21-2013 07:19 AM

Yes, it has happened. Two weeks is not a true stall. It is just a pause in your weight loss. If you are eating right you don't need to change anything. You just have to wait and let your body catch up.

Blue Skies 08-21-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16567954)
Yes, it has happened. Two weeks is not a true stall. It is just a pause in your weight loss. If you are eating right you don't need to change anything. You just have to wait and let your body catch up.

What Misti said. I believe Dr. Atkins says it isn't a real stall until it's been 6 weeks. I've gone over 3 weeks without loss. Then all of a sudden, a big whoosh. IMO, some folks start to panic too soon when weight loss slows, and run the risk of over tweaking what they're eating---sometimes to the point they land somewhere much harder to sustain.

cleochatra 08-21-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondie79 (Post 16567949)
I started two and a half months ago on the low carb diet & lost over 20 lbs (I have 35 left to go). I have not lost a pound in 2 weeks & I'm really starting to feel the frustration. I am spot on eating right. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas how to break this stall? :dunno:

Hey there! A true stall is 6 weeks without pounds or inches lost, so keep track of how your clothes feel, too! I know stalls can be frustrating.

Call it a "Practice Maintenance" instead, since most of your life will be a grand stall called maintenance! You're doing GREAT!

:jumpjoy:

Olive 08-21-2013 08:53 AM

I will add to these (very wise) comments, that as much as we should be zen and trust that it's not a "real" stall, it's still really disheartening and some of us may be at risk of following off the wagon. If you feel that way, you might want to consider introducing some tweaks which have proven to help many LCF people break through a slower weightloss period -- increasing fat, decreasing carbs even more, intermittent fasting. All those slightly extreme temporary changes are preferable to you potentially sabotaging your hard work!

I only give this advice because I wish I'd had it, when I was frustrated from slow weight loss ("only" 7 lbs. in 2 weeks) and decided to go on a 1-week carb extravaganza -- the stupidest thing I could've done of course!

Aomiel 08-21-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 16568121)
Hey there! A true stall is 6 weeks without pounds or inches lost, so keep track of how your clothes feel, too! I know stalls can be frustrating.

Call it a "Practice Maintenance" instead, since most of your life will be a grand stall called maintenance! You're doing GREAT!

:goodpost:

Blue Skies 08-21-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16568152)
:goodpost:

And another one from me. :goodpost:

jeaniem 08-21-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

I wonder how long it takes the scale to catch up? This time around (I hate even saying that), I am smaller at the same weight than I was before but man it makes my TOPS evening weigh- ins tough! When I was at goal in 2010 it was the reverse my scale weight was lower but it took forever to drop clothing sizes.

emel 08-21-2013 12:46 PM

See this is why I dislike the 'faster is better' mindset.
Why worry? Do the best you can. Learn stuff and practice it. Acknowledge that this is a lifestyle, not a diet.

I haven't lost for two weeks, but I'm lighter than when I started and I feel well, and I know I'll lose more eventually, while eating delicious stuff that's good for me.

jeaniem 08-21-2013 01:14 PM

I know faster is not necessarily better, but I also know how quickly I can lose hope if I don't see progress at least weekly. I know this is a carry over from my yo-yo dieting and binging eating and that it is not a healthy attitude in general but nonetheless it persists.

rubidoux 08-21-2013 10:43 PM

Ugh, I hear you Jeanie. Sometimes I need some positive reinforcement from the scale. I got down to 153 about 3 1/2 weeks ago and have bouncing around between 155 and 158 ever since. Gah! I was sure I was going to be down this morning but I was still above 155 and .2 above yesterday. :( But, OP, I think it is true that this sort of slow down is often followed by a good whoosh. Any day now!!!

ArdMaine 08-23-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

:heart::heart::heart:I LOVE The way you think!!:heart::heart::heart:

lanita 08-24-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olive (Post 16568135)
I will add to these (very wise) comments, that as much as we should be zen and trust that it's not a "real" stall, it's still really disheartening and some of us may be at risk of following off the wagon. If you feel that way, you might want to consider introducing some tweaks which have proven to help many LCF people break through a slower weightloss period -- increasing fat, decreasing carbs even more, intermittent fasting. All those slightly extreme temporary changes are preferable to you potentially sabotaging your hard work!

I only give this advice because I wish I'd had it, when I was frustrated from slow weight loss ("only" 7 lbs. in 2 weeks) and decided to go on a 1-week carb extravaganza -- the stupidest thing I could've done of course!

Good point!!:)

frank 08-24-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16568503)
See this is why I dislike the 'faster is better' mindset.
Why worry? Do the best you can. Learn stuff and practice it. Acknowledge that this is a lifestyle, not a diet.

I haven't lost for two weeks, but I'm lighter than when I started and I feel well, and I know I'll lose more eventually, while eating delicious stuff that's good for me.

:goodpost: I don't get on the scales, only every 6 months at the doctors office, I would never know about a stall .... my goal is 1-2lbs a month ..... that started 20 years ago and 160lbs later ... slow is better believe me ...

clackley 08-24-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank (Post 16572667)
:goodpost: I don't get on the scales, only every 6 months at the doctors office, I would never know about a stall .... my goal is 1-2lbs a month ..... that started 20 years ago and 160lbs later ... slow is better believe me ...

Now this is truly awe inspiring!

nolcjunk 08-24-2013 05:38 PM

What's your menu like? Do you use any trackers? Do you measure out your food? (like using a spoon for hwc)? What do you drink?

Sometimes it's a true stall and other times it's because we are doing something that stalls our weight loss like eating too many carbs, too many calories, or eating lc products that are known stallers.