Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gizmik
bloating/ tummy fat :|

Hi, it's my 4th day on low carb and it was all going well but for almost 2 days i suddenly have a huge belly! It pops out of my shorts and it's really disgusting. 2 days ago, i almost had a flat belly, except for a small pooch but now i look like a 5 month pregnant lady! I did not get more than 30 grams of carb and i've been only getting around 1000 calories ( if i add my3 main meals it's only 750 calories and to make up for the 250 cals deficit my snacks are mostly made up of cheese) the worst part is when i get on the scale it showed one pound up ( i was not planning to get on it till saturday but i could not resist though it was soon after dinner) I used to have PCOS but my cycle is almost normal now, it's late for only a week and if it is no exception i should be having my period in ten days. What do you think? it's only bloating or i'm doing something wrong? :/
gizmik is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
What exactly did you eat? Atkins products by any chance?

I can look like that depending on what I eat..usually fiber or salt do that.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I don't remember what i ate yesterfay exactly but i can list today's.

1 egg and sausages
1/4 slice of wheat bread
Tomatos, cucumber
One handful of almonds and nuts
10 strawberries, 2 purple plums
One bowl of yoghurt soup
5 meatballs
1 bowl of zucchini meal
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Fasten your seat belt, lol. It's a long ride, and at 4 days in, you're only at the very beginning of your LC journey, if you choose to continue.

Many here may choose to comment on the menu you posted, but I won't because all in all it looks fine, and at 4 days in, there's just so much you will learn yet, and evolve to in this woe, again, if you persist. And I don't believe folks should freak this thing out day by day, and tweak by tweak, before you've hardly gotten started.

There are SO many things that can cause bloat, and a one pound weight gain. You're simply not going to have a handle on this till you've been doing it for awhile. My best advice is to keep going, and KEEP READING, here and other resources and books on Low Carb woes. There is a part of this forum dedicated to good reading resources "Recommended Reading" on the list of categories here. Check it out.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
It happens. I'm hardcore LC and today had 2 hours of feeling really pouchy/bloated. Then it went away.

I felt completely bloated 24/7 pre-LC so gladly take this anyday!
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Fasten your seat belt, lol. It's a long ride, and at 4 days in, you're only at the very beginning of your LC journey, if you choose to continue.

Many here may choose to comment on the menu you posted, but I won't because all in all it looks fine, and at 4 days in, there's just so much you will learn yet, and evolve to in this woe, again, if you persist. And I don't believe folks should freak this thing out day by day, and tweak by tweak, before you've hardly gotten started.

There are SO many things that can cause bloat, and a one pound weight gain. You're simply not going to have a handle on this till you've been doing it for awhile. My best advice is to keep going, and KEEP READING, here and other resources and books on Low Carb woes. There is a part of this forum dedicated to good reading resources "Recommended Reading" on the list of categories here. Check it out.
Wow! Great post!!

Prolly the cucumbers. Sometimes they make me bloat along with raw veg and fruits.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmik View Post

1 egg and sausages
1/4 slice of wheat bread
Tomatos, cucumber
One bowl of yoghurt soup
5 meatballs
1 bowl of zucchini meal
Are you sure you're under 30 carbs? One small plum has 7.5 carbs so that's 15 right there. A handful of almonds/nuts is probably more than 1 ounce which is 6 grams just for an ounce. One strawberry is roughly 1 carb, so that's 10. We're up to 31 without counting the carbs in the tomatoes (high), zucchini meal, egg, wheat bread, yoghurt soup and meatballs.

If you're trying to go low carb, I'd cut out the bread, tomatoes, probably yoghurt soup and nuts (for the time being) and add in more protein and fats. The fats are noticeably missing.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
The theory behind low carb is, basically: insulin from carbs, plus fat, lead to weight gain; just fat leads to weight loss. You might think you're doing yourself a favor by keeping in that one tiny slice of bread, and fruit, but you're really shooting yourself in the foot.

If you really want to do the "balanced" diet thing, maybe look into South Beach. It's more of a "healthier eating compared to SAD" plan than something actually "low carb," IMO, though.

You should really, seriously, read a book and follow its plan - this stuff has lots of science behind it, and can't just be made up on the spot.

All that said, a pound up is probably just water weight. Or hormonal change. It happens.

Last edited by skinni; 08-21-2013 at 06:32 AM..
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Are you sure you're under 30 carbs? One small plum has 7.5 carbs so that's 15 right there. A handful of almonds/nuts is probably more than 1 ounce which is 6 grams just for an ounce. One strawberry is roughly 1 carb, so that's 10. We're up to 31 without counting the carbs in the tomatoes (high), zucchini meal, egg, wheat bread, yoghurt soup and meatballs.

If you're trying to go low carb, I'd cut out the bread, tomatoes, probably yoghurt soup and nuts (for the time being) and add in more protein and fats. The fats are noticeably missing.
wow, really? :/ the tool i use for determining the carbs said one plum has only 3 carbs,a half cup of strawberries has about 5. i was planning to eat more of them :/ What is the most reliable source?
Btw, thank you all
Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinni View Post
The theory behind low carb is, basically: insulin from carbs, plus fat, lead to weight gain; just fat leads to weight loss. You might think you're doing yourself a favor by keeping in that one tiny slice of bread, and fruit, but you're really shooting yourself in the foot.

If you really want to do the "balanced" diet thing, maybe look into South Beach. It's more of a "healthier eating compared to SAD" plan than something actually "low carb," IMO, though.

You should really, seriously, read a book and follow its plan - this stuff has lots of science behind it, and can't just be made up on the spot.

All that said, a pound up is probably just water weight. Or hormonal change. It happens.
Thank you but, do you mean if i'm on a high fat diet, i should be having just ZERO carb? I thought as long it is within a limitation, i should be fine with only a quarter of bread, and a few fruits since the bread i ate only has 2 carbs. :/
Old 08-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you but, do you mean if i'm on a high fat diet, i should be having just ZERO carb? I thought as long it is within a limitation, i should be fine with only a quarter of bread, and a few fruits since the bread i ate only has 2 carbs. :/
No - 30 grams is great, but the type of carbs you eat matters. You can eat about 6 heads of lettuce for 30g net carbs, which will have practically no effect on your insulin, or you can have one Snickers bar, which will send insulin reeling. Whole grain bread is slower to hit you than a candy bar, but it's still a form of sugar.

There's an article in First magazine this week explaining how the whole "good carb" thing has been a fallacy. I posted it on my fridge because it has a disturbing picture I've never seen before, of blood cells under the influence of sugar - it's worth picking up just for that.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
No - 30 grams is great, but the type of carbs you eat matters. You can eat about 6 heads of lettuce for 30g net carbs, which will have practically no effect on your insulin, or you can have one Snickers bar, which will send insulin reeling. Whole grain bread is slower to hit you than a candy bar, but it's still a form of sugar.

There's an article in First magazine this week explaining how the whole "good carb" thing has been a fallacy. I posted it on my fridge because it has a disturbing picture I've never seen before, of blood cells under the influence of sugar - it's worth picking up just for that.

Being diabetic, that's exactly what I've found. The number of carbs matter, yes, but so do the 'type' of carbs because of how slowly or quickly they hit your system and also how many carbs you eat at one time. Which is why Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution) says to spread them out across your meals.

If you want maximum effect from low carb, obviously my .02, keep your carbs under 25, get them only from non-starchy vegies and watch your protein. A good place to start with protein is 1-1.5gm per kilo of ideal weight. Some people do better with more...some with less...but it's a good place to start. Don't try to go low fat. That's probably the biggest mistake I see people make.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

gizmik---I did not do induction, do an average of 30 carbs a day, and I eat tomatoes, nuts, small amts of sprouted LC wheat bread and wraps, berries and everything else on your menu except for the plums.

I have lost 29 pounds since February doing this. The less strict you are w/your carbs, the slower you probably lose, but I'm quite satisfied with my rate of loss, and LC this way works for me because I can sustain it. I will also note that I've been in ketosis since early March eating this way.

Of course it's as different for everyone as our bodies are different and unique. But one of the questions to ask yourself, imo, is---how fast do I need to lose this weight?

There's good info from everyone here, lots of different POVs and experiences. So my point remains---two things. You learn what works for you over time and w/some experimentation. And, that time is shorter the more you read and learn about the science behind how this works, and then begin to tailor it to yourself.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
gizmik---I did not do induction, do an average of 30 carbs a day, and I eat tomatoes, nuts, small amts of sprouted LC wheat bread and wraps, berries and everything else on your menu except for the plums.

I have lost 29 pounds since February doing this. The less strict you are w/your carbs, the slower you probably lose, but I'm quite satisfied with my rate of loss, and LC this way works for me because I can sustain it. I will also note that I've been in ketosis since early March eating this way.

Of course it's as different for everyone as our bodies are different and unique. But one of the questions to ask yourself, imo, is---how fast do I need to lose this weight?

There's good info from everyone here, lots of different POVs and experiences. So my point remains---two things. You learn what works for you over time and w/some experimentation. And, that time is shorter the more you read and learn about the science behind how this works, and then begin to tailor it to yourself.
So lucky! I doubt I'll get to berries for another three months

I'm a little alarmed by tomatoes being mentioned as a no-no food here? I've been averaging 1/2 day. I just got some that are perfect, ruby-red.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
So lucky! I doubt I'll get to berries for another three months

I'm a little alarmed by tomatoes being mentioned as a no-no food here? I've been averaging 1/2 day. I just got some that are perfect, ruby-red.
Well, tomatoes will never be a no no food for me, particularly when they are straight from the garden. An average sized tomato is about 5 grams of carb, so w/your half a day you're getting about 2.5 carbs. If you add that into your carb allowance, I think it will be fine.

True that some are VERY carb resistant and have to cut out a lot of things I haven't had to---even though I have metabolic syndrome, which is what landed me here to begin with. Again, if you continue to lose eating a modest amt of tomatoes---then that tells you they fit on your woe.

I guess for me, I'm very reluctant to tweak out anything I know I can't keep up with over the long haul. No good losing the weight by depriving oneself, only to regain it again when that can't be sustained.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
There's a reason they call it a "bread baby".
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:

1 egg and sausages
1/4 slice of wheat bread
Tomatos, cucumber
One bowl of yoghurt soup
5 meatballs
1 bowl of zucchini meal
Wheat and nuts could absolutely be it, since they're huge on the food allergy train.

Those can cause distention/inflammation, especially if you might have a food intolerance. I'd cut both out for 2 weeks, and then add one back in at a time to catch the culprit.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Quote:
Some do "0 carb" but not everyone. I'm on a high fat diet and eat 50'ish carbs a day but it's mostly from vegetables and eggs. It's the types of carbs that matter.

I don't know how much you have to lose but it might be a food combining issue more than carbs. Nuts take a few hours to digest and fruit digests fast..so it can somehow mesh together and cause bloat. If you want to eat fruit I'd try it first thing in the morning then eat something else a few hours later. But usually low carbers don't eat fruit when trying to lose weight.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

So far so good. I've considerably lessened the amount of cheese,chick peas and especially fruits which seem to give me bloating and my tummy seems smaller. But yesterday i ate 2 tbsp of kidney bean and this time it gave me both the bloating and constipitation Despite all, i managed to get 20-25 carbs yesterday and 15-20 carbs today. I may have to take a laxative tomorrow and then weigh in.

Last edited by gizmik; 08-23-2013 at 01:02 PM..
Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Another question,
how much carbonhydrate is burned during cardio? I've read somewhere that during the first 10-15 minutes of cardio body burns carbs rather than fat but i have no clue regarding to the amount and do you think it should be taken into account as well?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Legumes are not low carb. Look, this is not a deprivation diet. You shouldn't be having 1/4 of anything or 2 tbsp of a food. You can eat until you're full and lose 20 lbs in a month, if you read a low carb book and follow the plan. You don't have to calculate how many carbs you've burned, like calories. It doesn't work like that.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Legumes are not low carb. Look, this is not a deprivation diet. You shouldn't be having 1/4 of anything or 2 tbsp of a food. You can eat until you're full and lose 20 lbs in a month, if you read a low carb book and follow the plan. You don't have to calculate how many carbs you've burned, like calories. It doesn't work like that.
I'm well aware of that, okey. I did not eat much carb all day, so i took the 2 tbsp of legumes as a cheat meal.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #23
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
Hi, Gizmik! Have you considered following a particular program - just to have a solid plan of action?
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote