Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Eating Fat Bombs (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/810417-eating-fat-bombs.html)

Josh1234 08-20-2013 10:10 AM

Eating Fat Bombs

Hello fellow LC travelers,

I have an acquaintance who is doing a LCHF diet. She is going about trying to perfect something she calls a 'fat bomb'. The idea is to mix up various fatty foods into a concentrated dose of fat. This confuses me. I thought the idea of LCHF was to eat more real food including the fat in real food and not worry about fat. We are to reject the low-fat fanaticism of the past 40 years that has got many of us into this mess.

I don't understand why one would eat unnaturally large amounts of fat over and above what is in healthy real food like - beef, pork, bacon, avocados, nuts, dairy products, etc. It seems that fat-bombs are just another form of extreme, unsustainable dieting, just as not eating enough fat was ( and still is for some).

I am not trying to be critical or mean spirited. Hey, if fat bombs or being a vegan works for a person who am I to criticize?

Thanks.

cleochatra 08-20-2013 10:47 AM

Hi, Josh! Old-school Atkineers have used mayonnaise, eggs, butter, bacon, lard and olives (among other things) to get enough fat in our diets for decades. Fat bombs incorporate "sweet" and sweet tends to be what causes problems for many. We should be, ultimately, getting fat from what we eat and not have to add a bunch of extra--especially sweetened.

Dottie 08-20-2013 11:52 AM

My understanding is: some people experience drastic appetite reduction on LCHF and find their daily calories are lower than desired. Adding a quick dose of fat (most of these are only around 200 calories per serving -less than a decent latte ;))helps increase calories in a carb-free, or very low carb, way.

Another reason is "macros" when people are trying to achieve a specific fat/protein/carb percentage ratio.

Mistizoom 08-20-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16566972)
Another reason is "macros" when people are trying to achieve a specific fat/protein/carb percentage ratio.

I agree with this. Sometimes I need a bit more fat in my day without adding carbs or protein. Fat bombs are one way to do this, but there certainly are other ways as well. Each individual has to determine the best approach for their own self.

peanutte 08-20-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

I don't understand why one would eat unnaturally large amounts of fat over and above what is in healthy real food like - beef, pork, bacon, avocados, nuts, dairy products, etc.
Josh, I don't either. It's not part of the actual Atkins plan.

MtherGoos 08-20-2013 01:24 PM

I don't use fat bombs very often, but I keep a bag of them in the freezer for the days when I'm just not hungry for dinner, I had a late lunch and don't want to eat a full meal again so soon, or if I just need a quick bite of something. It gets the fat in that I know I still need for the day, without having to consume an entire meal that I really don't want.

Dottie 08-20-2013 01:24 PM

He didn't say she was doing Atkins, and this site encompasses a large variety of plans, not just Atkins :)

peanutte 08-20-2013 01:30 PM

Yes, I understand that the OP's friend isn't doing Atkins, but some form of low-carb/high-fat.

I'm just saying: I do Atkins, and these fat bombs aren't part of that particular plan; Josh was saying, he thought the emphasis ought to be on the fat already present in various low-carb whole foods, and I agree with that.

Mistizoom 08-20-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutte (Post 16567092)
Josh, I don't either. It's not part of the actual Atkins plan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16567108)
He didn't say she was doing Atkins, and this site encompasses a large variety of plans, not just Atkins :)

Right, he specifically mentioned LCHF (low carb, high fat) which tends to be aligned with NK (nutritional ketosis). To achieve NK you need to eat low carb, moderate protein and high fat (though if you are losing body weight, body fat you are burning will contribute to some of those calories). I am doing NK, and sort of adhere to the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) philosophy at the moment. So fat bombs are a part of my diet. And I am losing weight. My fat bombs are made up of "whole foods" (butter, coconut oil, nut butters, sometimes chocolate), so I don't see why mixing these foods together is worse than eating them separately. Plus, to me, paleo/primal is more about "whole foods" eating than NK or LCHF is, and paleo is not necessarily low carb.

Dottie 08-20-2013 01:33 PM

I wasn't being argumentative lol -not intentionally anyway.
I don't "do" fat bombs either. They just don't appeal to me.

peanutte 08-20-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

I wasn't being argumentative lol -not intentionally anyway.

Me neither. Just clarifying.

clackley 08-20-2013 02:27 PM

As others have already said, the purpose of fat bombs are to increase fat grams in order to become keto adapted and to stay that way. Some people have a harder time with this than others and this means tracking and counting.

I personally don't like fat bombs but find that bullet proof coffee (coffee, coconut oil, butter and hwc) suits me very well. It has the effect that a fat bomb would in that it is very satisfying and keeps my appetite to a minimum for many hours. I am ketogenic and that is why I choose this over eggs and such for breakfast because I must monitor my protein intake and the coffee only has fat with a negligible amount of protein and carbs.

Patience 08-20-2013 03:12 PM

I don't eat them on an everyday basis, but they do have an occasional place in my diet as I too am tending toward NK. But like Cathy, I get most of my extra fat in my coffee, yum.

Blue Skies 08-20-2013 05:37 PM

I did the fat bomb thing. Once. Made them and had trouble choking even one down, but till saw how they could work for me. Just didn't appeal to me. Finished the batch, and won't be making them again. But BPC OTOH, that totally works for me---which is in a way, just another kind of fat bomb.

I drink BPC a couple of times a week for "breakfast" which otherwise I don't eat. Don't want food in the morning, never have since I was a wee child, and at this point, I've given up arguing w/my body's signals as to when it wants to eat and when it doesn't, no matter who says breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Not for me.

I drink BPC when I know I'm going to be on the run through lunch, or when lunch will be out w/colleagues, full of temptations. It sates me, brings me to those lunches not feeling crazy hungry, and therefore able to make better decisions.

I agree w/Mistizoom, LCHF and NK are quite different than Paleo. And although I respect and admire Atkins for being a pioneer in this woe, he is not my only "guru" in this. Much has developed since he was there to comment on it. And there are other very respected sources for this.

Bottom line, you have to understand your own body, be vigilant about considering your past experiences, what works for you, what doesn't. And along w/that comes the necessity to understand how these woes work when they are right for you. And by that I mean understanding the physiology of getting fat for you. It takes some reading and research to find yourself in it all, and that's a journey everyone has to take on their own. But it can be done, and it will be different for everyone.

peanutte 08-20-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

LCHF and NK are quite different than Paleo. And although I respect and admire Atkins for being a pioneer in this woe, he is not my only "guru" in this.

Personally I don't regard Dr. Atkins as my guru. I don't have any gurus, and Atkins is not my religion.

I do agree that Paleo is not the same as NK...NK is not the same as Atkins...Atkins is not the same as Stillman's...etc. etc.

My point in bothering to say I am on Atkins maintenance was simply to explain that I have had no need to try fat bombs because they aren't part of the plan I and a lot of others do follow. I would not say Atkins is the only valid low carb plan, the best weight loss plan, or anything to that effect. My personal opinion is that results are what we all want. If I got results following one type of diet, I don't begrudge anyone else the same on his or her own type of diet. I don't even care if it's low-carb or not. As long as people find a plan that proves effective in helping them achieve their weight goals, that's the important thing.

emel 08-21-2013 05:21 AM

They can work for a program but they are certainly not required.

I admire all this talk about eating them to balance macros.
I eat them because I like chocolate. :)

Just Beachy 08-21-2013 07:02 AM

I do not eat them on a regular basis. I do eat them, however, if I am craving a little something sweet. Most of the time, though, I use them to up my fats. If I'm having fish or shrimp or a lean protein, I will find that I need to eat one to up my fat intake.

:) Beachy

Josh1234 08-21-2013 07:27 PM

Thanks for enlightening me on fat bombs. They are not for me, but if they work for somebody else, then I say GREAT!

Ntombi 08-22-2013 03:01 AM

I keep lemon fat bombs (or bark, as we called it in the old days ;) ) in the freezer for when I'm not hungry, but need to eat something. I don't love them, but I do like them well enough. Mine are made with whole foods, the same butter, coconut oil and lemon juice that I cook with, just in a different delivery system.

I am doing Atkins, BTW, but plan to maintain with NK (since this somehow turned into a discussion of plans).

RebeccaLatham 08-22-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh1234 (Post 16566802)
I thought the idea of LCHF was to eat more real food including the fat in real food and not worry about fat. We are to reject the low-fat fanaticism of the past 40 years that has got many of us into this mess.

I don't understand why one would eat unnaturally large amounts of fat over and above what is in healthy real food like - beef, pork, bacon, avocados, nuts, dairy products, etc. It seems that fat-bombs are just another form of extreme, unsustainable dieting, just as not eating enough fat was ( and still is for some).

This is a great question! :)

First of all, I would have to disagree with your first statement about what LCHF is all about. Most, if not all, of the LCHF ways of eating recommend adding healthy fats to the diet. It is not just about trying to eat fat-containing foods, but realizing that fat IS food, whole, real and natural. It would be hard to eat a true high fat diet without adding healthy fats.

Secondly, adding fats (even eating fat bombs), is not an extreme, unsustainable diet. It is healthy, natural and good, and very sustainable. Remember, this is a high fat way of eating, and is meant to be continued for life. And it is easy to do and keep doing.

With LCHF, fat is the source of fuel. If you cut back carbs, and cut back protein, the only place to get fuel is from fat, and that means adding enough fat to fuel your body.

The only way that you can eat too much fat is if you are eating more than your body needs for fuel. If a person is eating really high fat, with fat bombs (which are, by the way, whole foods in and of themselves) and other fats, and they are maintaining their weight, it means that they are eating the right amount of fat. If someone is trying to lose weight, eating too much fat is problematic, and the amount may have to be cut back.

But when that person reaches goal, they may need to increase the amount of fat in order not to continue to lose weight.

Does that make sense?