Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   How do you tweak your diet to find your perfect carb/protein level? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/810407-how-do-you-tweak-your-diet-find-your-perfect-carb-protein-level.html)

spoiltmomof2 08-20-2013 06:56 AM

How do you tweak your diet to find your perfect carb/protein level?

I came back to Atkins last year. At that time I was not exercising and I found that I had to stay below 20 grams of carbs a day AND 1500 calories or I wouldn't lose weight.

Now, I'm experimenting, loosely, with Lindora. I have found if I eat 1200 calories I can have 60 grams of carbs a day and stay in ketosis.

Then my doctor told me I'm doing things all wrong. He says I only need 50 grams of protein a day max and 5 servings of whole grain carbs plus plenty of fruit. I tried his method and was hungry all the time.

Fast forward to now:

I've started riding a mountain bike every day. I love it! I burn 700-1000 calories on each ride. As long as I'm in ketosis I have the energy I need to do long rides and I'm not hungry. If I eat too many carbs then I'm hungry, sluggish and just don't have the energy I normally do. BTW, I'm using a Polar Heart Rate Monitir. That's where those calorie numbers are coming from.

I'm trying to find my perfect mix of carbs/protein and calories. I'm using my fitness pal and after adding in my exercise it says I'm not eating enough, I've never had that problem, it's quite nice! Lol

So any ideas? Is my dr right, do I really only need 50 grams of protein? If I eat say 50 grams of protein and 50 grams of carbs but I burn 1000 calories exercising then it leaves a huge calorie deficit. Should I be using that deficit on fats, carbs or protein, or a mix of those?

I hope this post makes since! My kids have interrupted 15 times while I was attempting to type it.

Thanks guys!

Aomiel 08-20-2013 08:48 AM

You're going to get a lot of different answers here because we're all different with different needs. I follow Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes solution and he recommends 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of ideal weight. So if your ideal weight is 130, you'd be eating 55-88gm of protein according to his formula.

Some people here routinely eat less than 50gm of protein, less than 10 carbs per day and fill the rest of their calories with fat.

Keep in mind that doctors generally spout whatever the latest blurb put out by the nutrition industry...the same industry that still thinks Atkins is an unhealthy 'fad'. As a general rule, I'd say the people on the low carb forum are better educated when it comes to nutrition than doctors and even professional nutritionists. :D

My .02...increase your protein to the 1-1.5gm per kilo of ideal weight, put your carbs where you're content and fill the rest with fats. Then you can tweak from there to take care of your hunger/satisfaction.

Josh1234 08-20-2013 09:03 AM

This is an excellent question. I am almost to the point where I want to stop losing weight and just hand in there. If I go back to how I used to eat, I am certain I will gain it back, but I can probably add some non-junky carbs and maintain a good weight.

Natalia 08-20-2013 10:23 AM

If you don't eat your exercise deficit, are you weak or do you still feel well?
I don't think you need to eat your deficit unless you feel unwell, have lack of energy, or are at goal, since your body can convert the deficit from stored body fat.

I use Aomiel's protein benchmark too for protein needs, but I look at it as the minimum. You can add more protein safely, and it has a modest insulin effect.

So the question is, what would you rather have? More volume with increased meat and a bit more fat? Or more rich meals with not much more volume? Or, a mix of both? Add a few more oz to your meat servings, or top with bacon and enjoy a LC mousse for dessert :)

Hey, it's a great "problem" to have!

spoiltmomof2 08-20-2013 11:04 AM

So if I'm burning a 1000 calories a day there's no need to eat any of that deficit?

Natalia 08-20-2013 11:09 AM

I wouldn't eat all of it if I had weight to lose.
I would eat a portion of it depending on how I was feeling. Hunger..weakness..

If you feel great and don't eat any back you may want to bring an emergency snack and drink on your rides just in case you crash and need something.