Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Changeling
WOE: Low carb & lifting weights & HIIT
Start Date: 23 July 2013
This rocket won't launch...

You've probably heard of the rocket launch analogy of dieting, right? A rocket uses 90% of its fuel during the launch. Once it's in the air, it can cruise along relatively easily and using relatively little effort, compared to the huge effort required for the launch. It's like that with dieting : getting through the first few days and making the changes necessary can be very hard. Once you've been doing it for a few days/weeks, it becomes a lot easier. Most of us abandon a diet within the first few days.

I just can't get myself launched this time. I keep starting over and starting over. A few years ago I did Atkins for 2 years, effortlessly, and I really enjoyed it and I looked and felt fantastic! But I just can't seem to get back into that groove right now. Same with exercise - when that alarm clock goes off at 05h30 in the morning I hit the snooze button every time!

I'm not sure what my problem is. I do WANT to do it. Even my husband wants to join me, but we just keep putting it off and having false starts. And if I'm not eating right, he's not eating right, so I feel like I'm not being a good wife either!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
How about a bet or agreement between the two of you? If you can both make it through the first two weeks eating completely clean, you'll treat yourselves to something fun? Doesn't have to be anything expensive, or even anything that costs money. You can just agree to do something that you don't normally take the time or energy for.

Really, you can do anything for two weeks, and maybe that'll be the launch you need.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Perhaps you're trying to do too much all at once?

Dr. Michael Eades advises against beginning a new WOE and a new exercise program at the same time. He advises focusing on diet--until well after the launch and into cruising, to use your excellent analogy.

In fact, he says that as weight drops, the person feels impelled to move more, and the exercise program will more naturally evolve.

That is exactly what happened to me (and I hadn't seen his comments at the time).

Back to your analogy. It's possible that diet and exercise both require too much energy for successful lift off. Just diet may work best for the initial launch.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, yeah, I wouldn't start both at the same time! I was just talking food for two weeks.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Ntombi, the idea of a competition between my husband and I resonates... hehe, might be fun, and I would just LOVE to kick his butt!!! Plus, that way we could train together too - after 2 weeks of just getting the eating thing under control. Thanks, will pose it to him tonight and get back to you. Quite excited now actually! Might get the kids involved to place bets LOL!
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
In fact, he says that as weight drops, the person feels impelled to move more, and the exercise program will more naturally evolve.

That is exactly what happened to me (and I hadn't seen his comments at the time).
Same here. I'd focus on the dietary changes for now. The rest will come in time.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
Thanks Ntombi, the idea of a competition between my husband and I resonates... hehe, might be fun, and I would just LOVE to kick his butt!!! Plus, that way we could train together too - after 2 weeks of just getting the eating thing under control. Thanks, will pose it to him tonight and get back to you. Quite excited now actually! Might get the kids involved to place bets LOL!
YAY! See, that's the kind of thing that would help me, too.

Let us know how you're doing, okay? Don't just drop off.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Failure to launch.

been there. I know.

the more you have to re-start any project/self help the harder it is to find that killer motivation to get past the launch sequence.

Many had false starts again and again. "TODAY is the day", yea right!! 'well today wasn't good, but tomorrow I will be better!" oh boy. I said all of this.

Food shop and clean out your fridge/pantry.

Night before make a good lc food list and think what meals you can have over the next week. Hubby and you get rid of the old reliable crappola in your pantry/fridge first thing in the morning. Get the car keys and hit the store.

Start with one meal. Then commit to the next. and soon you will be launched and into orbit circling the lc way of life.

re-starts are hard but you HAVE got to make the one first move or it won't happen.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
The other thing that helps me get started is to make a whole mess of high-fat, low-carb treats (e.g. Sheila's peanut butter fudge, cream cheese muffins, pound of fried bacon, sugar free pudding (made with cream))- and have these at the ready for when you feel like straying. Over time you will likely need these items less, once you get the carb monkey off your back.

Maybe you can think of these as rocket boosters?

Then hit the gym in a few weeks, if that makes more sense to you.

Good luck!
Gabby
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everybody! Discussed it with my hubby and he's very keen! I know it's always "best to start right away", but we're going to start 1st September and do it in competition form for 3 months, i.e. until end of November, and then we're going on a little holiday in December... don't know where yet, but that will be our reward. Whoop whoop, so excited now!!!

Thanks so much for the great ideas and support - I've gone from seriously down and stuck this morning to raring to go right now!!!!!!! You guys are the best, I love you xxx
Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
When it's time to start don't buy anything new for the house groceries wise unless it falls into your new food list...get prepared...get rid of all of the bad stuff the previous week...give it away, take it to family or work,food pantry whatever...just get rid of the temptation.
Being prepared is half the battle. Have in mind how you are going to start this and find out what you will need to have on hand so you don't resort to an off plan food.

Good luck and have fun with it...doesn't that sound weird? to have fun with a new way of eating?

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, that sounds fun!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I'm not sure what my problem is. I do WANT to do it. Even my husband wants to join me, but we just keep putting it off and having false starts. And if I'm not eating right, he's not eating right, so I feel like I'm not being a good wife either!
It sounds like you are moving forward now, but when I initially read this post I thought it sounded a lot like you were at the point where you wanted to want to do it, but didn't really want to. That's not a criticism, it's just a phase people go through before they are 100% committed to something. They like the idea of the goal but aren't really on board yet. Hence the hemming and hawing and dragging of our feet. I do it in different areas of life too. I'm sure we all do.

Hopefully setting a start date of Sept. 1 will help give you time to really know, deep down, that you are willing to do this. I know that works for some people--setting a definite start date can make it seem more real than a perpetual "Oh I know I ought to start right now, today, but..."

I agree with Leo that making one big change at a time can be more sustainable and effective than trying to make multiple changes at once. I didn't start an exercise routine until I finished the first year of my weight loss. I wanted to make sure it was all about the food. Plus, I am an unreliable and inconsistent exerciser unless I really force myself to stick with it, so I didn't want to depend upon it as part of my weight loss regimen.

I can't agree with Dr. Eades on the point of exercise becoming a natural effect of weight loss...it was not natural for me and never will be natural. I didn't lose a bunch of weight and feel surprisingly impelled to move more or exercise; I do have to make myself do it, but I like the results.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
There's some great advice on this thread, have nothing more to add.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gammazach
Stats: 266/249.5/150
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 4/19/2011 restart 7/17/14
Starting several months before the holidays will give you incentive to look better for the holidays. That's what always gets me going
gammazach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Nail on the head Peanutte! That is exactly how I was feeling : I know I should want to do this, I mean who wants to be fat, right, but I'm not quite ready to do what I need to do to get what I claim I want, so in the meantime I'll just spin my wheels a little longer.

But now I feel so motivated that I'm actually considering starting on Monday instead of 1st September.

Also, with the exercise, I don't want to have missing a day of working out have the effect of "Oh, missed a workout so I can just as well binge now and start again tomorrow"... been there too many times. Let me get this eating under control FIRST, then I can add exercise.