Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Is There Any Way To Incorporate Coconut Oil Into Cold Drinks?

I have been drinking bulletproof coffee for a few months now and I really love it. The flavor is wonderful and I feel great too! My only problem is that I really prefer my coffee iced rather than hot. Has anyone tried to incorporate coconut oil into iced coffee with any success? Normally I mix my coffee with my stick blender to make it "creamy" and I'm wondering if that might be enough to break up coconut oil in a cold drink to...
evas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: teeingoff17
Stats: 235/184.4/170
WOE: Starting JUDDD 9/30/13 after 3 months Atkins
Start Date: 6-24-13
It doesn't work in my protein shakes--I've tried and it always solidifies, which makes sense. It does get some of the flavor of the shake, so it is like candy eating it after I pour the shake out, but that's my experience
teeingoff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I know it's flavorless but maybe mct oil would work...I think it stays liquified and has the same effects coconut oil does...I don't use it...this is just what I have read.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
Not sure. For protein shakes I use coconut butter instead.
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I've been using coconut oil successfully in my protein shakes for years. I can see why it might be tricky, but the way I make them it works every time. I'll give you my recipe, based on Diamond Deb's original recipe.

Chocolate Coconut Shake

1/3 cup low carb milk+ 1 or 2 T. more(or cream and water sub)
1 oz. cream cheese
1 heaping T. cocoa powder
15 drops Sweetzfree (liquid Splenda) + 1 heaping T. Erythritol (you can use what you like to sweeten with)
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (I use EAS)

Blend together for a few seconds to mix. Then add about 1 3/4 cups crushed ice (cubes will work, but it'll be more difficult to blend). Blend until smooth and no ice chips remain. If your coconut oil is solid, melt a heaping tablespoon full. With the blender running, pour the coconut oil straight into the center whorl. Blend until everything looks smooth and enjoy!

*I have to start and stop my blender and scrape down the sides several times to get the ice to blend well, but it's worth the trouble!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
What about just using canned coconut milk? It's very high in fat, but seems of be more emulsified into the liquid in the can.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
usre.it in my hubbys smoothies.every morning. i also.add a touch of butter amd splash of hwc amd make it bulletproof so to speak. no problems thus far and staves off his hunger for most of the day too!
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Thank you all for the suggestions! But unless I want a blended shake it looks like I'm going to have to stick to my hot coffee. I'll look into the MCT oil but then I won't get the coconut flavor that I love. Maybe I could add a drop of coconut extract? Hmmm...

Spoiltmomof2 - I was very excited about your suggestion of coconut milk because I hadn't thought of that, but when I checked nutrition info it looks like it's not going to work for me because it has only a third of the calories and a third of the fat that coconut oil has and I don't eat anything in the mornings so I depend on my coffee for those fat and calories. Thanks though!
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #9

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by evas View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions! But unless I want a blended shake it looks like I'm going to have to stick to my hot coffee. I'll look into the MCT oil but then I won't get the coconut flavor that I love. Maybe I could add a drop of coconut extract? Hmmm...

Spoiltmomof2 - I was very excited about your suggestion of coconut milk because I hadn't thought of that, but when I checked nutrition info it looks like it's not going to work for me because it has only a third of the calories and a third of the fat that coconut oil has and I don't eat anything in the mornings so I depend on my coffee for those fat and calories. Thanks though!
There is also coconut cream. I buy it at my local Asian grocery store (HMart). It is 94% fat.

1 TBSP
Calories 50
Calories from Fat 47
Carbs 1.0
Dietary Fiber 0.3
Sugars 0.0
Protein 0.5
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by evas View Post

What about a mixture of coconut milk AND MCT oil? You'd get the coconut flavor from the coconut milk, and the fat from the MCT oil. In a way, it's the best of both worlds. MCT oil is darned expensive--you could use less because some of the fat can come from the coconut milk.

Oh, and some mornings I want iced coffee but I also want to have my fats. I use a little, cheap hand held frother to blend the oil and butter in my coffee and then ice it down. If you don't wait too long, the coconut oil stays emulsified for a little while in the cold liquid. I can usually drink it down before it starts to harden into little BB's.

Last edited by Janknitz; 08-26-2013 at 05:24 PM..
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
The coconut cream at trader joes works really well for smoothies. It is like the full fat coocnut milk in that the solids separate from the liquid, but you can use both in a smoothy. I've also used the solid part for bulletproof coffee.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
MCT oil is my choice for cold drinks. If you like the coconut flavor and you don't mind AS, you could try Davinci or Torani syrups. I'm quite sure they sell a coconut flavor.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
What about just using canned coconut milk? It's very high in fat, but seems of be more emulsified into the liquid in the can.
That's what I would do. Or use the 'cream of coconut' (delicious). For sure don't use the 'lite' coconut milk.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I use coconut oil in my yoghurt and found that when I mix the EVCO with nut butter it does not get lumpy and hard. You have to make the mixture before adding the other ingredients, but I found this worked like a charm! I use a 1:1 ratio of EVCO and almond or hazelnut butter, FYI.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
I make an iced coffee with coconut oil every day. I blend the coffee, hwc, coconut oil and some Da Vinci sugar free syrup in the blender, pour it into a metal cup, and chill it. When cooled I pour it over ice and voila! It's delicious and the CO doesn't solidify. Maybe because it's been blended and frothed?
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
I have also been making coconut oil infused frappaccinos daily. The co does freeze up but when blended with ice the taste aNd texture works well
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
I love the little bits of coconut oil that freeze up when I make chocolate protein shakes
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
If you make your coffee the night before and put it in the fridge you can make a nice iced coffee with the co. Add your coffee to the blender with a couple ice cubes, cream whatever you usually use. Then melt the 1T co and as the blender is running let it dribble in. it will emulsify perfectly and it doesnt turn hard later.
I make iced coffee like this all the time. I make an egg cream and add eggs too. Really yummy and frothy!!
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote