Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 16 2013
I read the amount of protein you should have is half of your body weight....

Is this a accurate? That means I should consume no more than 108 grams daily and have been eating more. Then I read excess protein is turned to carbs/sugar and stored as fat. Is that accurate? Uh oh!
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
That is one theory. There are many, many different opinions about the "correct" amount of protein (and fat & protein, too). There is no one correct formula.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
It depends on your lean body mass, which obviously varies by individual. There are several ways to determine your protein needs, based either on your optimal weight, or on your lean body mass, and some also take into account any workouts you do.

Excess protein can be turned to glucose by the body, which is in turn often stored as fat, yes.

If you're not sure of your body fat percentage (and therefore your lean body mass), there are several ways to get an answer, some are rough estimates, some are more precise. Some are free (calculators online), some are cheap (calipers or BIA), and some are not too expensive (hydrostatic testing, Bod Pod, DEXA scanning). I get a hydrostatic test a few times per year to track mine, and base my protein intake on the results.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

I had amazing fat loss success several years back following a plan that required me to eat 1.5 grams of protein per total (current) body weight. I ate over 200g protein (I think it was about 236g) every day.

As with most everything in this world, what works best is going to vary from person to person.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

I've come to the conclusion that, just like carb tolerance, some of us have a larger "window" of protein tolerance than others. My window seems to be fairly large, meaning I can eat a larger amount (relative to my LBM) without it affecting my level of ketosis or blood glucose levels. That doesn't mean I intentionally eat a ton of protein daily, it just means that I'm less concerned about not overeating protein than some others must be.

Like with so many other things, learning what works for our particular body is key.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The notion that every extra gram of protein is immediately stored by the body as fat is gaining currency on the Internet (as myths tend to proliferate) and is just as reductive as the notion that any starchy carbs we eat are immediately stored by the body. Our digestive/endocrine systems are far more complex than that.

I read something on another board that offers a different view of the protein issue:

Proteins are not simply converted to 'sugar' by the body. They are converted to amino acids. A very few of those amino acids have the right carbon structure that they can then be converted to glucose. Not sugar - glucose. Glucose is rarely if ever stored as fat. It's converted to either glycogen for energy, fed directly to the brain or burned to generate body heat. ______________________________________

During my weight loss and into maintenance, I followed the general principles of the Eades' ProteinPower--making sure that I had adequate protein to meet my body's needs and thus try to preserve as much muscle as I could while losing fat. I lost more steadily and felt better when I ate sufficient protein.

The Eades' plan is based on the principle that low carbers can freely eat more than their minimum protein needs because of their bodies' needs for the energy that carbs once provided. That is, 'excess' protein will be readily used and not stored so long as the individual is not exceeding his or her daily caloric requirements.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 16 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

I lost more steadily and felt better when I ate sufficient protein.

The Eades' plan is based on the principle that low carbers can freely eat more than their minimum protein needs because of their bodies' needs for the energy that carbs once provided. That is, 'excess' protein will be readily used and not stored so long as the individual is not exceeding his or her daily caloric requirements.
Thank the Lord...now pass the bacon wrapped chicken with melted cheese.
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Based on everything I've been reading, excess protein being converted to glucose may be a problem specific to diabetics. If I read correctly, in a normal body, the liver reads the glucose (somehow) in the blood stream and if it has enough, it will not convert the excess protein into glucose. In a diabetic, the machinery is broken and the liver converts it even when there's too much.

I go by Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of ideal weight.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Based on everything I've been reading, excess protein being converted to glucose may be a problem specific to diabetics. If I read correctly, in a normal body, the liver reads the glucose (somehow) in the blood stream and if it has enough, it will not convert the excess protein into glucose. In a diabetic, the machinery is broken and the liver converts it even when there's too much.
I don't know about that; there are some non-diabetic posters here who have shared that they are kicked out of ketosis when they eat too much (for them) protein. This is based on blood ketone readings and tracking their food. Keeping their carbs the same and increasing or decreasing their protein directly affects their ketosis.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

I really think we all just need to find out what works for ourselves. I don't believe there are rules that will apply 100% even for diabetics.

It would definitely be easier if our bodies all reacted the same way to things but they don't.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I agree that optimum protein intake is individual and variable.
One thing I'd like to point out is that EXCESS protein can be converted to glucose but due to the body's workings and the roundabout, less efficient nature of the process, it ends up that about 25% of excess protein converts to glucose. So Job 1 is keep carbs in line, Job 2 is make sure your proteins don't stray far from optimal, and Job 3 is to keep satisfied on what remains, which would be fats. Well, also alcohol calories...but that's a treat, not a food.