LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RhondaC
Stats: 5'9" 240.5/227.8/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/1/14
Edamame?

Do you eat edamame? I've got a couple of frozen packages and found a recipe that requires boiling it til tender then tossing it in spices.

Are the pods supposed to be eaten, or should I take the peas out of the shells?

How would I count the carbs? ****** says 7 net carbs per cup, but it doesn't say if that's the shells included or just the peas.
RhondaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I eat it when out for Sushi sometimes. It's usually tossed in sea salt after steaming. You put the pod in your mouth and then pull it through your teeth so that you get the salt and peas and then you discard the pod.

Have fun horsing around with it, you'll figure it out. I have no idea about the carb count.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Sounds fun! 😬
Old 08-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
The counts are likely legit because I think everyone shells them. You could always look for discrepancies between shelled and unshelled.

Costco has the little pouches. You can steam and snack. Just throw on some coarse salt & shuck em one by one like pistachios .
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Ok--another question. Since they are soybeans, are they very good for me? I've heard that soy can be bad, because it contains estrogen and gets trapped in fat cells. Is that true?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I've heard too much soy can be bad for you, but just how much, I have no idea...sorry...
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
IMHO all soy is bad for you.
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglgrl View Post
IMHO all soy is bad for you.
Why? (I don't know much about soy. There's so many opinions on both sides, that I don't know what to believe. Lol)
Old 08-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaC View Post
Why? (I don't know much about soy. There's so many opinions on both sides, that I don't know what to believe. Lol)
I understand that the worst is the genetically modifed and that fermented, tempeh and tofu along with fresh, if you can get it where it has not been GM, is okay once in a while. Daily I would be not do.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaC View Post
It is confusing. Soy is an endocrine disruptor. You can google to see the effects of these disruptors. There are also MANY others:

Nail Polish Remover
Personal Care Products
Plastic Shower Curtains
Certain Plastics (Beware Canned foods)
Perfume
Air Freshener
Household cleaning products
Sunscreen
Pesticides
Dryer sheets

We all pick our poisons. I could list the danger of artificial sweeteners also.

If you aren't consuming lots of Soy Milk and Soy Oil on a regular basis and you like the taste, I say enjoy!!

What you are buying at the grocery store is most likely genetically modified. Most of the food that you are eating when you dine out is not organic or pastured. Again.....we pick our poisons and do the best we can.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

We're not eating our shower curtains though

Very true about picking our poison.
What kind of makes me laugh is that everyone (not just here, but all over food blogs, and forums) seems to have free run organic chicken, pastured butter, and grass fed beef but in real life, sales are a teeny tiny fraction of what ghetto chicken and butter is.
(Ie- someone's lying. Lol. If we put our $$ where our big mouths are, pastured butter would be easier to find. I have to go on a long drive to a kosher place to get it. Zero places in my city carry it.)
Old 08-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
We're not eating our shower curtains though

Very true about picking our poison.
What kind of makes me laugh is that everyone (not just here, but all over food blogs, and forums) seems to have free run organic chicken, pastured butter, and grass fed beef but in real life, sales are a teeny tiny fraction of what ghetto chicken and butter is.
(Ie- someone's lying. Lol. If we put our $$ where our big mouths are, pastured butter would be easier to find. I have to go on a long drive to a kosher place to get it. Zero places in my city carry it.)
If you have a Costco, most carry the Kerrygold brand, but beware it is so good you won't want to go back to the less expensive store brand

If I'm unable to get the one I want I usually just use the store brand. It's not that much butter unless your using a pound a day.

I'm seriously considering buying pasture fed animals because my husband and I both have some health issues and wonder if a bit healthier foodstuffs might give us less to battle in our day-to-day lives. It is expensive though. Our Kroger store has buffalo, $10/pb. They also have a grnd beef that $9/lb. Chickens though, I'll have to find elsewhere.

If we eat less meat and more veggies it might work out for the best. Now to convince my husband.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

My Costco in eastern Canada only offers Sealtest butter, which I'm not a butter snob, but it has to be one of the worst I've ever tasted. Best tasting around here is Sussex. It wins awards. Not pastured, though. Pastured butter isn't really a pressing concern in my day to day life, but it would be nice to have more choice.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Sam's Club is now carrying Kerrygold, although who knows how long that will last. I should probably go and get a couple pounds and stick it in the freezer. It's double the price of Land o'lakes (when I can get Lakes on sale), but the difference in taste is soooo noticeable to me.

My husband wanted 12 'taste tests' from me for his birthday because he doesn't believe I can tell the difference on blind tests between one brand and another. So far I'm 6 for 6 and he's amazed. Is it surprising that studies have shown that overweight people have overdeveloped taste buds?

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

AT $8 a lb. we call the Kerrygold "company butter" and don't eat it that often. But you're right, Aomiel, I can tell a huge difference.

I buy the organic at $5 a lb. for everyday use. We use what Natalia calls ghetto butter at $2.5 a lb. to make our Ghee.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

3 types of butter? You guys are fancy!

Last edited by Natalia; 08-20-2013 at 10:22 PM..
Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
Phytoestrogens

Soy is higher in phytoestrogens than just about any other food source. Phytoestrogens are plant-based estrogens that mimic estrogen in our bodies. In recent years, you may have read about studies which indicate phytoestrogens are good for you. But ask yourself, who funded those studies? The soy industry, thatís who. Independent research has clearly shown that consuming phytoestrogens is downright dangerous for the human body.

Itís only common sense. No one argues, for example, that a leading cause of breast cancer, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, infertility, and low libido is unopposed estrogen, or estrogen dominance. Why, then, would anyone argue that we should consume more of a food high in estrogen?

An infant taking the recommended amount of soy formula is consuming a hormone load equivalent of 4 birth control pills a day! Is it any wonder weíve seen such a dramatic rise in precocious puberty with young girls starting their periods at 6 and 7?

Goitrogenic

Soy will destroy your thyroid. Many foods are goitrogenic (thyroid suppressing), but soy is king of them all. Goitrogens work by preventing your thyroid from getting the necessary amount of iodine. Friends, I believe this is what happened to Oprahís thyroid. She pushed soy for years, featured it in everyone one of her ďhealthyĒ diets, and it destroyed her thyroid. If your thyroid fails, what happens? You gain weight. You have a harder time regulating your moods. You get colder more easily. Youíre more easily fatigued. You demonstrate an inability to concentrate and remember details. The list goes on. You simply donít want to mess with your thyroid.

Phytates

Phytates are enzyme-inhibitors that block mineral absorption in human digestive tract. They are naturally present in all grains, seeds, nuts, and legumes (which is why everyone should read this primer on how to eat grains, if you eat them at all.) But soy is so high in phytates that itís almost impossible to get rid of them. Simply soaking soy overnight in an acidic medium wonít do the trick. Soy must be fermented in order to be digestible to humans. That means that if you eat soy at all, you should stick to fermented soy products like miso, tempeh, natto, or a naturally fermented soy sauce (tamari).

Trypsin inhibitors

Finally soy is rich in trypsin inhibitors. Trypsin is a digestive enzyme we need to properly digest protein. Without enough trypsin, youíll experience many digestive problems including stomach cramps, diarrhea, and bleeding. Youíll also be leaving yourself open to future problems with your pancreas.
Debunking The Asian Soy Myth

But, people say, what about Asians? They eat soy every day, and theyíre so healthy!

In this article by Nina Planck, she writes:

Soy farming started around 1100 BC in China, where it was used to build soil fertility and feed animals. Soy beans were not considered fit for humans until the Chinese learned to ferment them, which makes them digestible. Asian diets now include fermented soy beans in the form of natto, miso, tamari, and tempeh.

Soy producers want you to eat more soy ó more than the Asians eat, and more than is good for you. The Japanese and Chinese eat 10 grams of soy per day ó about two teaspoons. Yet a soy manufacturer recommends Americans eat ten times what the Japanese eat ó 100 grams of soy protein per day. In The Soy Zone, Barry Sears recommends a daily diet of a minimum of 50 grams of soy, and up to 75 grams for women and 100 grams for men.

Itís like red wine: a glass or two a day may be good for you; a bottle or two every day rots your liver.

Did you catch that? Asians only eat 2 teaspoons of soy a day, usually as a condiment, and itís highly fermented! Fermentation takes care of many of the dangers of soy. Plus, the typical Asian will also consume soy with mineral-rich and nutrient-dense foods such as fish broth (naturally high in iodine & other minerals which support the thyroid).
So, Is Soy Bad For You?

The short answer? YES! Letís be clear on the recent history of soy. The soybean was a modest and unpopular crop until food manufacturers intent on creating cheap vegetable oils convinced the U.S. government to start subsidizing it. The soy was turned into oil, and the industry was left with an industrial waste product. Then somebody had a brilliant idea:

Letís take this industrial waste product full of toxins and carcinogens ó isolated soy protein ó and turn it into food that people will eat!
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I read that article online too, and then also read the comments after it, and the disagreements. Including the Asian girl who says Asians eat way more soy than 2 t per day. Lol

I take everything I read, especially blogs, with a grain of salt. For every blogger who has an opinion, there is another blogger with an opposite opinion!

I just try to be balanced with my diet. So, I will occasionally eat soy, but won't have it every day. A little edamame here and there is not going to kill me. Better than a Snickers bar!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josh1234
Good Grief!! No! Why would any man want to fill himself with phytoestrogens? (sp?)

[rant warning on]
I have to admit that I cringe when I see a mother with two small boys shopping and she is filling the cart with all of those soy substitutes for meat. Giving her growing boys plant estrogens seem rather strange to me. If she had daughters would she fill them with plant based testosterone? I doubt it.
[rant warning off]

Last edited by Josh1234; 08-21-2013 at 03:55 PM..
Josh1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1234 View Post
Good Grief!! No! Why would any man want to fill himself with phytoestrogens? (sp?)

[rant warning on]
I have to admit that I cringe when I see a mother with two small boys shopping and she is filling the cart with all of those soy substitutes for meat. Giving her growing boys plant estrogens seem rather strange to me. If she had daughters would she fill them with plant based testosterone? I doubt it.
[rant warning off]
Not good.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
Don't eat the pods...
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote