Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Egg replacer......

I stumbled on this by accident and just wanted to share it with everyone. If you haven't experimented with it, buy it and try it out. It solved a lot of my LC menu issues.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #2

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I am allergic to eggs so I get why someone allergic to egg protein would need an egg replacer... or maybe a vegan, but I'm confused by your post.... how does it solve a low carb menu issue? Just curious.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Yeah, why would it solve anything? Most of us eat eggs. Now a potato or wine gum replacer....
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Because it can be used in place of eggs in baking and to thicken sauces. Some people can't eat eggs because it causes an insulin response.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Because it can be used in place of eggs in baking and to thicken sauces. Some people can't eat eggs because it causes an insulin response.
Is there something special about eggs that it would cause any more of an insulin response than any other type of protein (when eaten in excess)?

Just curious because eggs are my 'go to' food and it's not uncommon for me to scrap my original menu plan and just have eggs because I don't have the inclination/motivation for anything harder than that...and I love eggs...but they don't affect my BG.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

For some people eggs are great. But for some people (like myself), there is too much protein and not enough fat in them. So my body will recognize it as a food source over fat. I get a delayed insulin response. I can use an egg replacer to thicken a high fat sauce instead of an egg. It solved a lot of problems caused for me when trying to mix oils with my sauces to increase the fat content. The egg replacer has better properties than when I was using an egg which I always had trouble with.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
For some people eggs are great. But for some people (like myself), there is too much protein and not enough fat in them. So my body will recognize it as a food source over fat. I get a delayed insulin response.
Hmmm...I'm surprised because eggs are pretty high in fat and comparable (or a little lower in protein than some other choices. For example, 4 eggs are 21gm of fat (and that doesn't count the butter they're cooked in or the mayo if deviled) and 25gm of protein, whereas 4 oz of ground beef would be 12gm of fat and 28gm of protein.

In the past, my food of choice was a cheeseburger. Now that I have to watch my protein, I eat more eggs than red meat because 2-3 eggs is a very satisfying meal, whereas 2-3 oz of hamburger just wouldn't cut it.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

4 eggs if friend in butter would be a really high calorie meal. I have a much smaller budget with respect to calories because I am a small person. So I have to be choosy about how I get my protein. I can't just take my fat with a huge side of protein. But in my case, eggs have caused me problems in the past. It could be an allergy, who knows.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not arguing that you may have problems with eggs, but I'm not making the connection between eggs being a high calorie meal. I also have to watch my calories being post menopausal and my 'meal' of choice is 3 eggs with 10gm of butter (which is pretty generous) is only 304 calories and 18.9gm of protein.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
This thread makes me

Eggs have less protein for a meal size serving, than meat.
If calories were a concern, why not eat 2 eggs with butter or mayo instead of 4?

Surely they would be less problematic protein-wise than the 2 big plates of shrimp from your party.

Perhaps as you say, it is some kind of egg sensitivity or intolerance?
Do they cause any symptoms for you besides a stall?
Rebound cravings?
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote