LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ness2616
Stats: 396/313/140
WOE: adkins but around 20 carbs a day
Start Date: Aug 2011
back to basics

I am trying to find my way back to low carb eating. I have gained 16 lbs . I have a history of losing a lot of weight and gaining it all back plus more. I cant do that this time. Im in serious mental trouble and I need your help. How do I get back and stay back on this WOE? I feel like theres a switch somewhere in my head and if I can turn it back on I will be OK. Does that make sense to anyone else but me or am I in more serious mental trouble than I know? Help me, please.
ness2616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
Yes it makes perfect sense, I struggled with this recently and bounced back and forth for a few months. I remembered back to when I first started and how I just "started" and took this same approach. I found that the bigger a deal I made it into the harder it was to get going. One more time of this meal or I'll have popcorn at the movies "one last time" and then I am on. As if once I got back to the correct WOE I would be suffering some great loss.

My mantra when I started was "Stop Thinking and Start Doing", turns out after 5 years it still fits.

LCF - Journal
The Urban Primate - My Journey to Better Health
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
One thing to add...stay active on this site and keep posting. I find that it provides me with a certain level of accountability and keeps my head straight.
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I agree with batlou to just go for it!

As well, I really love the book The Diet Cure by Dr. Julia Ross. Sometimes it's brain chemistry driving those cravings, and her knowledge of over 20 years in the field helping people really made a difference in my life and made Induction actually almost easy!

Last but not least, it does get easier after about the first week to 10 days. Just take it a meal at a time. It's not always easy, but it'll be worth it.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
After ten years, I still rely on this board to keep me honest!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
The carb demons are playing with your head...make yourself go super low carb for one day at a time until you get back iin control...your own brain is playing tricks on you and you have to be strong enough to realize that and outsmart it...even if it means eating more food but just all allowable low carb food...good luck and we are here for you.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #7

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Makes complete sense. Agree with the others. Hang in there...the longer you stick if out, the easier it gets.
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thank you everyone. When I started this WOE a little over two years ago, this forum was my only lifeline. I always wrote everything I ate down and I drank lots of water. That's what I am going to do again. I will not beat myself up over this and then give up. That's my usual way of handling a failure. I didn't gain everything back! To recognize where I was headed and try to stop it is new to me. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #9

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Great responses.

I agree with using some of Julia Ross' supplement recommendations.
If you took everything she recommends, it would be a LOT of pills--- the trick is to read the chapters which pertain to your issues and use those supplements. Here's a paste of something I wrote about my experience:

Quote:
Each chapter and its supplement recommendations is for a specific need.

My needs were Chapter 1 (depleted brain chemistry), Chapter 2 (Malnutrition due to low calorie dieting --in my case it was junk food and not enough nutritious food) and Chapter 3 (Unstable blood sugar and carb addiction).

That means my solutions were in Chapters 9, 10, and 11 (mostly 11).

The L-Glutamine was suggested for me in Ch 9, as was meats and dairy,and 5HTTP at bedtime for sleep issues. L-tyrosine might have done me good but I couldn't find it.

Chapter 10 is pretty much skippable for now because it just reiterates the need for a well-crafted carb-controlled food plan and not letting ourselves get hungry. we already know that.

Ch 11 was big for me---chromium, the L-glutamine, vitamin E, correct protein and fat intake along with healthful veggies, B, C, and a multi for overall support, DHEA for stress support (my stress was physical,from poor diet and poor sleep.)

And then for the magnesium which was so crucial for my recovery, I just stumbled upon it on the internet through pure dumb luck (in a message board about night eating syndrome)

So browse the table of contents. Grab a pen and paper and jot down the 2 or 3 chapters which seem to most apply to you. Take a good multivitamin, and then make a list of the most crucial things to try, from the corresponding chapters in Part II of the book. After you form your list, I'd be happy to share the little bit I know about your choices and good solutions to your most pressing needs.
Then, there was other stuff that was helpful to me:

--This is not a morallity issue. This is a physical issue. Just as we wouldn't taunt someone for having a broken leg or a food allergy, so do we need not to beat ourselves up for not being perfect at the eating plan. Besides, it doesn't help---just causes stress.

--I firmly believe that willpower is not the answer. For me, there was a nutritional lack. It had nothing to do with being strong or weak--it had to do with being ill from poor nutrition.

--Be mindful. Examine your hunger. If it's actual hunger, eat a reasonable amount of food, and then stop when you are satisfied but not stuffed.

If the desire to eat comes from habit or carb addiction's effects, consider supplementation (for me L-glutamine, chromium, and magnesium were the most useful) and using small low carb snacks --- a dill pickle w/a piece of cold meat, or veggie strips with a nice serving of ranch for a dip, or a cup of broth with butter or a cup of tea with cream could satisfy the need.

--This is not a race. It is a lifestyle. We get better and better, and as we do, it becomes effortless. Maybe it will take me a year or two to lose all 50 of my pounds. But I'm moving in the right direction and I feel great.

And, as always, remember to Keep Calm and Carry On.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks emel. I will have to find that book. I have never taken any of the supplements that are mentioned. I've always been a little afraid of them for some reason. I never know the right ones to try or the right dose to take. Plus I take meds for diabetes and chol. so I am always mindful of side effects. Any suggestions?