Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Quest Bars? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/810165-quest-bars.html)

doobiephillips 08-15-2013 05:10 PM

Quest Bars?

Has anyone tried the quest bars. I tried the Atkins bars and it stopped my weight loss. I was wondering if the quest bars were any different.

pointboy 08-15-2013 11:20 PM

Don't know if they cause any stall on Atkins, but I (not on Atkins) use them as a supplemnt to a regular protein and vegetable meal. Eating a half one helps with my appetite and sweet tooth, and they are very good. I particularly like the applie pie one lightly heated in microwave.

Quest bars seem to be well regarded in the exercise community.

Mysstwalker 08-15-2013 11:58 PM

Chocolate Brownie or Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, 10 seconds in the microwave = heavenly protein bliss. These are the only bars I get, no others compare!

BABSY 08-16-2013 03:18 AM

not enough flavor. They are too dry. I have put them in the microwave too, but I feel if you have to do that then they are not good enough. Nothing better than atkins bars

Natalia 08-16-2013 08:08 AM

The texture changes 100% in the microwave. Cinnamon bun and apple pie are delicious!

Dottie 08-16-2013 12:18 PM

If you have portion control problems with the bars, cut them into 6 or 8 pieces and freeze them, then you can take out one piece as needed and not feel obligated to eat the entire thing at once:)

Gabby1 08-16-2013 08:07 PM

I used to buy them for emergencies, and for when I wanted a little something sweet. Worked fine when all I bought was vanilla almond and brownie flavors- because they are good, but you are not going to go to bed thinking about them, at least I didn't.

Then I discovered the cookie and cinnamon bun flavors. Yipes! Too delicious and I had serious self-control issues with them. So for now they are all banished.

Also, the manufacturers have created one of those situations where they add a bunch of fiber to the bar so that they can call the net carbs a very low number. I always have my doubts about how really low carb they are. But compared with other bars their carb count is still probably pretty low.

Trillex 08-17-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16561988)
If you have portion control problems with the bars, cut them into 6 or 8 pieces and freeze them, then you can take out one piece as needed and not feel obligated to eat the entire thing at once:)

That's a great idea!

I didn't eat any of the bars until I got stuck in an airport while moving in June. In the airport, I didn't have access to anything except crappy sandwiches with so little meat on them it wasn't even worth pulling the meat off and eating it. So, when I went on vacation in July, I bought a box of Quest bars to have in case I ended up in that type of airport situation again. The bars came in handy because I did have a few days when I was out with people and every place we stopped -- over the course of like 8 or 10 hours -- was some sort of pastry shop or bar that didn't serve anything except pastry-type items or chips. So the bars were a lifesaver.

I like the bars but now that I have access to *real* meals, I don't feel the need to eat an entire bar. But I still like having them for when I'm *kind of hungry* but not in the mood for an entire meal. So I'm going to chop them up and freeze them! That's a great idea!

Natalia 08-17-2013 09:31 AM

Regular use of quest bars may hinder my weight loss. I don't know. I've only ever bought singles.

But, it's totally possible to stall on one and not the other. The composition is completely different. Quest are full of protein, with stevia or E as the sweetener.

Atkins are more fat based, with lots of maltitol as the sweetener- known more than any other sweetener- to cause insulin rise in people.

Josh1234 08-18-2013 01:10 PM

Frankly, I would rather have a Snickers bar than any of the low-carb,low-fat, hi-protein bars. If having the Snickers would raise my daily carbs to high, then I eat a handful of nuts instead. But, that's me - lower carb, not low carb. And I just want to avoid highly processed if at all possible. YMMV.