Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Is this true about processed foods.....

I have read a few times that some processed foods are addictive and it is because the companies that make them know the right combination of fat/sugar/salt etc. to put in them so that people keep eating them and therefore keep buying them. It is done to make more money. I am wondering if this is really true. Does this mean for some people that food can act like a drug? And not only can you want more and more of it if it has the right combination of sugar/fat/salt, but could you also get withdrawal like symptoms such as intense cravings. I also notice that certain foods with myself trigger binge episodes. And it is usually a sugar/fat or salt/fat combination. Is it possible that the particular "chemistry" of a food can trigger a brain response similar to what happens with certain drugs which makes them addictive for some people?

Any thoughts or opinions on this? Do you think its possible?
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AuntieEm
Stats: 260/130/150
WOE: LC, whole foods
Start Date: 12/1/11
I definitely think it's true.....I read and bookmarked this article a few months ago. Good read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/ma...nted=all&_r=3&
AuntieEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Oh I Really believe that!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LC_pickle
Stats: 297/235/1-derland
WOE: NK: 20g total carbs / 80g protein / 75%+ fat
Start Date: Dec 1, 2012
this is a long video but a really good watch!
I've heard that MSG stimulates hunger, "omigod, Chinese food effect!" style, but really, refined carbs do that too, if you're metabolically damaged, like... say... orange chicken breading, sauce, and noodles. So I try to take it with a grain of salt (HA!), but in this video he talks about the flop that was "new coke". lots of salt makes you thirsty and keeps you drinking, but you need lots of sugar to hide the salt taste. plus the original gatorade was salty and gross, so they pumped a bunch of sugar and flavorings into it, but hardly anyone outside of intense athletes NEEDS that much salt, so it's the same cycle.

I also recently read an article ...I think in Psychology Today, about people buying pet food that sounds good to THEM, not what would be good for their pets, and in the article they drew a parallel with frozen meals, where the actual "food" material (in both dry pet foods and in our frozen meals O_o) is absolutely flavorless, until they spray it with something that adds a flavor. it's the only way to keep the food looking pretty and lasting long enough on the shelves. so yea i'd say there's a LOT of sneaky research that goes on with processed food companies.
LC_pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
oh, I think the grandmotherly bakers had this down pat a long time ago too, right? plenty of people were "addicted" to cookies, cakes, pies, bread, etc., without any commercial experimentation needed.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Punkin, that is absolutely true. I recently read, Salt,Sugar,Fat by Michael Moss. He follows that trail. The thing that stood out too, not one on of those head honcho's he talked to eat that crap!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I think it is true. Salt to cancel out sugar and vice versa,aspartame to make thinks have a sweet aftertaste and making the texture bland so that it resembles babyfood. Ask yourselves what you miss from before and I bet it is not of a crunchy nature. No bite resistance equals more ingestion.

Talking about philanthropic manufacturers anyone have any good reason why dogfood should have aspartame in it ? Or why any flavored milk should automatically have aspartame included in it without it being labelled ? (FDA approval pending) Why ?
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
Oh I Really believe that!
Another believer here hate that the companies do that to us, but I sure believe they do
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #9

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
YEP
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #10

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Also a believer!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gardengoddess
Stats: 199 highest/187/157 current/130 5'2
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 9/5/2013
I believe. The book Fast Food Nation talks about the "smell" factory that manufactures Yummy food smells to temp buyers.
gardengoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TheMariposa
WOE: lc
I was reading up on this recently. From personal experience I feel its true.
TheMariposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Yes, it's why people can't just eat one or 5 potato chips. They keep eating them. There is something in it that makes them "addicting" just like a drug addict keeps taking drugs.

There have been many articles on this over the years.. You can probably find more on Google if it's all new to you.

Last edited by UghNowWhat; 08-15-2013 at 01:56 PM..
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Yes, it is true.

If I eat even "better bad" processed foods I get cravings. I finally surrendered to the facts and no longer eat them. Voila! No cravings! I'm at peace with my food & the fat is just melting off my body!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DownSizin'
Stats: 282/261/ now 242/170 5'10"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: restarted 7/15/13
Wow, I am listening to the Sugar: The Bitter Truth video while I play on the net. This guy is awesome! Thanks for posting this video LC pickle! I have posted it on my FB so my friends IRL can see it!
DownSizin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
You make it sound like they're doing something outlandish, but they are just trying to make a product that sells. Of course they will be thrilled if its so good you can't possibly resist it! I think there is a stronger effect when the foods are super processed, but I find homemade choc chip cookies w no freaky ingredients to be pretty addictive. I think there's a continuum and that the least addictive foods are probably one ingredient w no sAlt, seasonings, or other flavors.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
I think the first time I remember that happening was when I was about 12, when Pringles came out! I think there was a turning point in processed food around that time, early '70's
I never craved sweets unless someone put them in front of me. Think donuts in the break room at work. I would never buy them, but gorged on them when they were there.
Whole foods don't do it. The only thing I can think of that I eat now and never get satisfied is of course... BACON!
But that's processed too.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
It is absolutely true, it's called the "bliss point".

I've read (and am still reading) about this and it shocks me to realize that the health of the consumer is the absolute last concern of the majority of food manufacturers. It's all about money and profits, Wall Street and government have a big hand in it too. It's sickening. I'm trying my best to stay as process free and organic as possible.

Read Fat Secret or Pandora's Lunchbox or Salt,Sugar & Fat.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I don't doubt that a ton of research and money go into something that tastes like amazingness, but it's typically all chemicals.

The Universe made bacon.

I prefer bacon.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Rubidoux , I would bet that if all there had ever been was chocolate chip cookies from homemilled wheat or coarse oats you would not be here with us,we would not be here.
They were irrresistible as we are programmed to recognise sweet as good but also filling( evolutionarily speaking poisons are bitter so our sweet taste helped us select harmless foods)
Refining however has done a number on our endocrine system. Chewing is part of our digestion. My gran used to tell me not to eat sweets as it will spoil my appetite before lunch. If that was the case still none of us would be here right now. Mexico has overtaken the US as the fattest nation. Why ? Refined foods everywhere and they are chic . the only chic and cheerful thing there is and you can be somebody for a little while. Mexican traditional sweets are cloyingly sweet and have not had that effect in decades. By rights Mexicans should have been fat before US americans if homemade sweets were culprits per se but they were not.
Liz,I also see the 70s as a turning point.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

There is an evil substance available in my local grocery stores called "nutella." My husband one night witnessed me stabbing the jar with a steak knife to extract some of its food product, because I had thought it was a brilliant idea to put it in the freezer to avoid the mindless consumption of it. 5 minutes later I pitched it off our 8th floor balcony. I remember that being one of my low points.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
There is an evil substance available in my local grocery stores called "nutella." My husband one night witnessed me stabbing the jar with a steak knife to extract some of its food product, because I had thought it was a brilliant idea to put it in the freezer to avoid the mindless consumption of it. 5 minutes later I pitched it off our 8th floor balcony. I remember that being one of my low points.
Sorry.. but..LMAO!!
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
Mexican traditional sweets are cloyingly sweet and have not had that effect in decades. By rights Mexicans should have been fat before US americans if homemade sweets were culprits per se but they were not.
Liz,I also see the 70s as a turning point.

That's something I remember from reading about the "bliss point". If a product was in the too sweet range the testers wouldn't eat as much, same as not being sweet enough. The same holds true with salt and fat.

The bliss point is more accurately called a "bliss range" and millions of dollars and thousands of taste tests are done to find the exact combination of sugar, salt and/or fat that falls in that range to get the consumer to eat as much as possible. Food manufacturers find that range and then find the perfect combo of ingredients with the least cost for the highest profits. The profits made by adjusting the amount of ingredients in Dr. Pepper syrup to the lower end of the range is mind boggling.

In the book Sugar, Salt and Fat one ex-food scientist made the comment that he felt sorry for the public.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UghNowWhat View Post
Sorry.. but..LMAO!!
Unfortunately a true story. We can laugh about it now. I still can't walk by that aisle in the grocery store without shuttering.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
That's something I remember from reading about the "bliss point". If a product was in the too sweet range the testers wouldn't eat as much, same as not being sweet enough. The same holds true with salt and fat.

The bliss point is more accurately called a "bliss range" and millions of dollars and thousands of taste tests are done to find the exact combination of sugar, salt and/or fat that falls in that range to get the consumer to eat as much as possible. Food manufacturers find that range and then find the perfect combo of ingredients with the least cost for the highest profits. The profits made by adjusting the amount of ingredients in Dr. Pepper syrup to the lower end of the range is mind boggling.

In the book Sugar, Salt and Fat one ex-food scientist made the comment that he felt sorry for the public.
Thanks I am going to read that book. After experimenting with food mixing myself, I am starting to suspect that this is very true. There is something called the "bliss point" and it activates the brain, which for some people causes over-eating. I guess that is why processed foods are so deadly for some people. I remember the days when I could easily consume a whole party bag of chips, within an hour of watching TV. What is that, 1500cal or something?