Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I used to think my problem was portion control.

Since I've never been much of a snacker and I don't have a sweet tooth, I always assumed my weight issues came from what I ate, once I sat down for a meal. I was always Ms. I'll have seconds. Maybe even thirds. Dessert not necessary. My pals used to compare my meal time appetite to a linebacker.

But as I look back on it, I realize my seconds and thirds mostly involved carbs. Maybe I'd get a little more meat to go with the bread, pasta, potatoes or rice I really wanted, but mostly my seconds and thirds were about carbs.

For years, I called this my difficulty with "portion control."

I now realize it was my addiction to carbs, and as I have grown older, my metabolic syndrome. I'm very tall and got away w/more weight looking not horrible on me for years. Then came the time it really didn't look good on me, and my blood panels looked worse. So I went LC in a good way for me (did it years ago as a "diet" and while it worked, I treated it like a diet, didn't learn much about what I was doing or how my body works, and fell off the wagon, and regained every pound and more.)

But doing LC the right way, for me, this time, I have had many realizations. But the one I wanted to concentrate on here, is that if I cut out most of the carbs, I do not have portion control issues! In fact, I often leave food on my plate these days, from the FIRST helping. Maybe not a lot, but the idea that I wouldn't clean my plate and go back for seconds, maybe thirds, is amazing to me.

I guess what I'm saying in short, is that I have finally realized that I had a carb addiction, and that it was that, not portion control that was driving my weight gain. Been thinking this for awhile now, and wanted to write it out tonight.

Because "portion control" is often sited as the problem in weight control. All those over generalized articles in women's "health and fitness" magazines that I used to read. Don't read them anymore, because I realize they don't answer to my problems.

And I realize that for some, in any woe, portion control is still an issue. But for me it turned out that wasn't my problem at all. And after all these years....

But no matter. We're never too old to learn something new, in general, and about ourselves. And this second time on LC has totally changed how I look at what I used to eat, and how I look at what I eat now.

I consider that a HUGE NSV.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I love your personal realization! This especially resonates with me

Quote:
But as I look back on it, I realize my seconds and thirds mostly involved carbs. Maybe I'd get a little more meat to go with the bread, pasta, potatoes or rice I really wanted, but mostly my seconds and thirds were about carbs.
I am still this way with salad. It is easy for me to want to load up 2 or three times with salad at a salad bar (as an example), so I have to remind myself to incorporate fats and proteins to my plate, to hydrate, and to give my stomach time to let me know it's satisfied.

Great post!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
Wow, Blue Skies, congrats for making that connection for yourself!
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
good post. ive also come to realize that carbs are an addiction for me. i DIDNT eat huge portions but could do an all carb day happily, and since i am.not tall, the pounds addedup quick. now i too understand now how intolerant my body is to carbs a˝d starches and that understanding helps keep me on track.
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
Interesting. I know that I could "make room" for dessert a lot. Mostly it was forced, and I was already full.
gordita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rcookie
Stats: 325/288/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2013
Good post. I feel similar. I would go back and eat mashed potatoes even when I was already full and then ask myself why I did that? I'm starting to "get it" now too.

Thanks for your post!
rcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I wish I could say the same thing! Sadly, I found out on vacation that even though I've lost a lot of pounds and inches, I still have a problem controlling myself around food when I have a *good excuse* to let go.

I went on vacation for 3-1/2 weeks and I ate only on-plan foods. BUT I stuffed myself until I was physically ill. I ate 10 pounds of seafood over the course of a single day. And that's not counting the salads and cheeses I ate that day. I was physically uncomfortable but I kept eating. Something inside me is *broken* when it comes to food. I've changed the way I look. I've dramatically changed clothing sizes. I've stuck to Atkins -- by the book -- like a champ for more than a year. But that insidious food demon is still lurking inside me, just waiting for me to let my guard down.

I think part of my problem is that I felt like I was *cured* of my previous food issues. I guess I felt like I was a different person, since I look like a different person, and I let my guard down. But I learned from my out-of-control behavior on vacation that I'm not a *normal* person when it comes to food. Sadly, I don't think I'll ever be normal. Something inside me wants to eat until there's no more food left.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Lady
WOE: Low carb
I thought I had severe NES (night eating syndrome) because no matter how hard I tried to stop eating after supper it seemed hopeless because of the strong compulsion to overeat in private after the evening meal. I couldn't even get back on Atkin's for a full month because every night after a perfect eating day I would blow it. But now finally after 18 days of Induction without blowing it, I don't even feel like eating anymore after supper. I am finally satisfied.
Texas Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Texas Lady

I thought I had severe NES (night eating syndrome) because no matter how hard I tried to stop eating after supper it seemed hopeless because of the strong compulsion to overeat in private after the evening meal. I couldn't even get back on Atkin's for a full month because every night after a perfect eating day I would blow it. But now finally after 18 days of Induction without blowing it, I don't even feel like eating anymore after supper. I am finally satisfied.
Oh lordy, Texas Lady I can sooooo relate to this!!! For me I think its because I spend all day and night taking care of DS and DH, and when everyone is in bed I FINALLY have some me time, and I just want to enjoy myself. I was doing it with lc sweet food, like frozen hwc w/ a bit of berries, but I just wanted more and more and more. It was definitely sabotaging me. Even though staying LC, I was gaining weight, and my fasting blood sugars were climbing up and up. (I am pre-diabetic range)

What I did was to first replace the sweet with something else, with protein, like a piece of turkey with cheese or bacon. I can overeat fat for some reason but not protein, it makes me fuller quicker. So a combo with protein and a bit of fat was best.

Then I thought, why am I eating at all? I might actually be hungry from not eating enough at dinner, so I have been making sure that I am full after eating dinner, almost TOO full, just to be sure. And that works for me. Then if I want a "treat" at night, I will have a glass of sparkling mineral water with a few drops of stevia and some lemon, or rosewater.

Great thread Blue Skies, way to get us thinking!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I wish I could say the same thing! Sadly, I found out on vacation that even though I've lost a lot of pounds and inches, I still have a problem controlling myself around food when I have a *good excuse* to let go.

I went on vacation for 3-1/2 weeks and I ate only on-plan foods. BUT I stuffed myself until I was physically ill. I ate 10 pounds of seafood over the course of a single day. And that's not counting the salads and cheeses I ate that day. I was physically uncomfortable but I kept eating. Something inside me is *broken* when it comes to food. I've changed the way I look. I've dramatically changed clothing sizes. I've stuck to Atkins -- by the book -- like a champ for more than a year. But that insidious food demon is still lurking inside me, just waiting for me to let my guard down.

I think part of my problem is that I felt like I was *cured* of my previous food issues. I guess I felt like I was a different person, since I look like a different person, and I let my guard down. But I learned from my out-of-control behavior on vacation that I'm not a *normal* person when it comes to food. Sadly, I don't think I'll ever be normal. Something inside me wants to eat until there's no more food left.
I recently had the exact same experience. Except that it was for a shorter period of time (3 days). I had a weekend with friends and did all of the cooking for 8 adults. All LC meals of course, with a bit of toast and rice on the side for the HC people. I estimated that I ate 3000 calories over budget in the course of those 3 days. At first I felt like throwing myself off a bridge but then I soon realized it was a bit of a wake up call which needed attention. Although I can "diet" and lose weight effectively, I realize I am not yet a "normal" eater. I have to retrain myself to eat properly and exercise "normal" eating patterns. It is realizing that it goes way beyond "carbs" and more about "why" I eat the way I do. Carbs may "fuel the fire" but they didn't start it. I will probably have to limit situations and foods that set off bingeing and take smaller steps. One thing I figured out recently is that I am a nervous social eater. At parties I will park myself in front of the buffet table and nibble and nibble and nibble....all night long. I need strategies for this. Eating way beyond fullness is an issue and for me it was (is) the reason I am a yoyo dieter.

I am so glad you had a self discovery, it is so empowering when that happens!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post

First of all Trillex, you look fabulous in this photo on your vacation! So no matter how badly you think you fell out over vacation, the fact remains that you have STILL lost all that weight, and three weeks isn't going to change that, nor does it undo or negate all the effort and strength you've mustered and are ALSO a part of you.

Still, by your description, I hear your concern. And I think sometimes our gifts are wrapped in ways we don't like from the outside, but when we "open" them we find things of enormous value. Seems yours was that you realized you are human, with your share of "tics." Yours is food, others struggle with other things. And knowing that is the whole ball game. It is humbling, yes, to realize you hadn't solved all your problems with food, but imo, humility is a lovely place to be once you get comfortable there.

Vacations are hard. Everyone here struggles with them. I've had two vacations so far this summer, stayed on plan and didn't gain on either. But I checked in with my little group here almost every day. And I think that was helpful beyond words. In a week and a half we're leaving for Columbia and I think international travel will be a much bigger challenge. But anyway you slice it, vacations tempt us to put ourself in a bubble, as if we're in a place where what we eat doesn't count, and there's part of the whole vacation philosophy that makes us believe we should have time off from all our woes,
and I mean that in both senses of the word.

I really hope you write more about this here, and your journey and discoveries as you are in this new stage of realize the traps waiting for all of us in maintenance---when that glow of our weight loss has worn off a bit. Your voice here has been so helpful in the past, your spirit so inspiring. We still need you, and I hope we can still help and support you.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
At parties I will park myself in front of the buffet table and nibble and nibble and nibble....all night long. I need strategies for this. Eating way beyond fullness is an issue and for me it was (is) the reason I am a yoyo dieter.

I am so glad you had a self discovery, it is so empowering when that happens!
I LOVE what you said to Tillex here, and I so agree. It is empowering, even if we don't love it at first.

And I just want you to know Punkin, that I'm just like you at a party. At least a big one. I'm not socially comfortable, even though I am a social, chatty person in smaller groups, and I too park myself by the buffet. One reason is to "nibble." The other is that I've found if I'm near the food or bar I don't have to circulate or feel awkward, everyone ends up coming to me because I'm near the goodies.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lady View Post
YAY for you!!! This is what I've found. Cut the carbs, and my appetite is way different. I can only encourage you to KEEP GOING, because after 7 months, it's just gotten better and better for me. There is a momentum involved here I think, the more we invest the more we are rewarded.

But I don't kid myself that I won't always have to pay attention to what happens to me on carbs. I'm not on a stringent LC program---I shoot for an average of 30 grams a day. And this has worked just fine for me in losing weight, and even allowed for the occasional treat without bad effect.

But I know this has to be a lifestyle for me, or I'm going to put that weight right back on. Thankfully, the more I stay on plan, the less I want those carbs.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks to all those who left thoughtful and interesting comments here. Just want to say that once again, tonight I am so full from half of what I used to eat, all on plan of course. And I am not only satisfied, the thought of more food is totally unwelcome, even something carby doesn't sound good because I am sated. This is what LC does for me, and I just hope I can hang on to this for a long time to come.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Such a nice discovery! I was one that made repeated trips back for second and 3rd helpings too. It seemed that I was the veritable bottomless pit until I dropped the carbs.

The relief I have found is almost indescribable.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Good for you for finding out what triggers the overeating. I think it's only when we understand why we overeat, choose the foods we do, or whatever our bad patterns of eating are, that we can start to fix them...or at least be aware of them so we don't fall headlong into the abyss and not come out until we have all that weight to lose again.

Vacations...yeah that's a tough one. My husband and I go down to Florida for 2 weeks twice a year to visit our granddaughter (and of course her parents) and, in the past, I'd look forward to eating at a couple of my favorite places. Last time we went, I refrained because I had *just* gotten off my insulin and didn't want to screw that up. I'm hoping I can find that same strength when we go again in September.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Lady
WOE: Low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
tonight I am so full from half of what I used to eat, all on plan of course. And I am not only satisfied, the thought of more food is totally unwelcome, even something carby doesn't sound good because I am sated. This is what LC does for me, and I just hope I can hang on to this for a long time to come.
This is exactly where i am right now. I never thought I would get back to this point because last time I lost 60 pounds on Atkin's I got so obsessed with losing faster and faster that I forgot that learning to eat for life is what brings success, not severe dieting. All I learned is how to do induction so strict that you can lose very very quickly, and that's it. So in the end I felt so deprived that I started binge eating. Then I quit "dieting" altogether and of course gained all the weight back, accepting that I will just have to be obese the rest of my life. It sure feels good to not be hungry all the time! I am also losing on 20 to 30 grams per day, mostly 25ish.
Texas Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I have just recently realized that I probably have a similar relationship with food as an alcoholic has with alcohol. So things like parties and vacations will have to experienced in small steps. For me, going on a week long all inclusive vacation right now while I am learning to eat would be out of the question. Maybe if I had to order AND PAY FOR each meal it might be different. I used to think going to a buffet was the way to go for a low carb diet, that way I could just take only the low carb foods and all would be good. However, I noticed that whenever I went out to a buffet I did choose all the low carb foods, but I took way too much food and overate by 100s of calories. So I know an all inclusive vacation where the food was unlimited would be a disaster for someone like me.

Maybe some day I will be able to eat in a way that doesn't pack on pounds of excess body fat, but with me it is more than just the carbs that are the issue, it is a combination of factors which I need to figure out and develop strategies for. I have an upcoming party that I am almost terrified to attend but thanks to the people on LCF I have some strategies that I have collected which I hope are going to help me get through it!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I have just recently realized that I probably have a similar relationship with food as an alcoholic has with alcohol. So things like parties and vacations will have to experienced in small steps. For me, going on a week long all inclusive vacation right now while I am learning to eat would be out of the question. Maybe if I had to order AND PAY FOR each meal it might be different. I used to think going to a buffet was the way to go for a low carb diet, that way I could just take only the low carb foods and all would be good. However, I noticed that whenever I went out to a buffet I did choose all the low carb foods, but I took way too much food and overate by 100s of calories. So I know an all inclusive vacation where the food was unlimited would be a disaster for someone like me.

Maybe some day I will be able to eat in a way that doesn't pack on pounds of excess body fat, but with me it is more than just the carbs that are the issue, it is a combination of factors which I need to figure out and develop strategies for. I have an upcoming party that I am almost terrified to attend but thanks to the people on LCF I have some strategies that I have collected which I hope are going to help me get through it!
I can completely relate, Punkin. And it's comforting to know that I'm not the only person who is wrestling with these issues.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie15
Stats: 230/224/150
WOE: Low Carbs/ Tend toward Paleo
Start Date: August 2013
I am never satisfied with anything that is high-carb. I also have a difficult time stopping when I've eaten more than enough. I've been back on plan for about a week now, and I find that stopping is no problem with low carbs... it's amazing how much my appetite has changed!
Blondie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
I *LOVE* this thread.

I outgrew my habit of compulsive, secret binge-eating when I turned 19 or so (although I do it about 1-2 times a year still, when I'm really stressed), but I still think any instance when you're not hungry, but still pushing food in your mouth isn't normal eating. I really want to get to the point where I almost never do that, but don't know if it's possible for me.

My parents interfered a lot with my eating habits when I was a little kid (like teasing me if I wanted to have seconds at dinner, forbidding junk food) and I began secretly snacking, hiding candy wrappers in my night-table drawer, seizing any opportunity when my parents weren't around (which were many, as a latch-key kid) to eat 'forbidden foods'. I'm still dealing with those consequences at 26.

With my little boy (4), I'm really trying to not make a big deal out of food, not attaching anything like shame to it (which was what I felt when I was little and wanted an extra pork chop). We give him 90% super-healthy stuff, and he LOVES to eat. He's still within a normal weight range, but a little plump, and my Mom has already begun hinting that we should start interfering, but I'm just ignoring her.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
With my little boy (4), I'm really trying to not make a big deal out of food, not attaching anything like shame to it (which was what I felt when I was little and wanted an extra pork chop). We give him 90% super-healthy stuff, and he LOVES to eat. He's still within a normal weight range, but a little plump, and my Mom has already begun hinting that we should start interfering, but I'm just ignoring her.
At the age of 4 you have a lot of control over what your son eats so now is a good time to reinforce those healthy eating habits and it sounds like you're doing that. The only thing I would keep an eye on is what *he* chooses to go after when he is given the choice so you might be able to head off a carb addict in the making just by subtly redirecting his food choices to better alternatives. I certainly wouldn't worry about whether or not he's getting fat at this stage of the game.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

My parents interfered a lot with my eating habits when I was a little kid (like teasing me if I wanted to have seconds at dinner, forbidding junk food) and I began secretly snacking, hiding candy wrappers in my night-table drawer, seizing any opportunity when my parents weren't around (which were many, as a latch-key kid) to eat 'forbidden foods'. I'm still dealing with those consequences at 26.

Olive---I had a roommate in college whose mother was ahead of her time on the healthy foods kick, refused to have any treats in the house, lots of beans and vegetables and tofu, kids not allowed to have ice cream, etc.

So fade out, fade in, when she gets to the dorm, she goes hog wild on the treats and the starches. When she'd borrow my jackets I'd find the pockets literally overflowing with candy bar wrappers the next day. She gained 50 pounds our first year of college. You are not alone. Gently guiding a child is a lot different than trying to shame a child into compliance, or trying to forbid a child reasonable things.

Sounds like you're doing great w/your son. Be as patient and gentle with yourself as you are with him. You're still so young, and you've come pretty far w/your eating issues. And, you're here! Trying to find a healthy path for yourself. Sure wish I'd known what I know about myself and carbs way back then! The way I see it, you're ahead of the game. So much life left, so much time to get better, if not perfect, at everything.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
At the age of 4 you have a lot of control over what your son eats so now is a good time to reinforce those healthy eating habits and it sounds like you're doing that. The only thing I would keep an eye on is what *he* chooses to go after when he is given the choice so you might be able to head off a carb addict in the making just by subtly redirecting his food choices to better alternatives. I certainly wouldn't worry about whether or not he's getting fat at this stage of the game.
I think it's possible to raise a kid that eats high carbs at every meal, who won't turn into a carb addict. While he loves ice cream and chips as much any other kid, besides proteins he also loves all kinds of veggies (even zucchini and mushrooms!), most fruit, skin-on potatoes with a little olive oil, black beans, whole-wheat bread, lentils and corn tortillas. We make all those things available to him, and it takes effort and thought. He's not a "sliced hot dog for lunch" kid by any stretch.

As much as my parents prided themselves on "healthy" eating and not allowing junk food/second helpings, the food they chose was not really good at all (and unvaried). Only one kind of fruit (apples), white noodles, white rice, all the time. The fridge was always bare, and it wasn't because we had money problems -- it was because they thought having a loaded refrigerator was bourgeois and repugnant. Also, their appetites/eating habits had also been heavily interfered with when they were growing up. Also, they were carelessly bad cooks, not bothering to do basic things to make food taste better (like overcooking everything).

I really think that if I had had the rich variety of good foods that my son has -- and thoughtful food-related parenting -- I wouldn't have had secretive eating issues when I was a kid/teen or the impulse/shame of overeating now, still.

It's so funny, I hadn't connected all the dots until now. This is the first time that I've considered the fact that my overeating issues may not be my entire fault. LCF is like therapy.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Olive---I had a roommate in college whose mother was ahead of her time on the healthy foods kick, refused to have any treats in the house, lots of beans and vegetables and tofu, kids not allowed to have ice cream, etc.

So fade out, fade in, when she gets to the dorm, she goes hog wild on the treats and the starches. When she'd borrow my jackets I'd find the pockets literally overflowing with candy bar wrappers the next day. She gained 50 pounds our first year of college. You are not alone. Gently guiding a child is a lot different than trying to shame a child into compliance, or trying to forbid a child reasonable things.

Sounds like you're doing great w/your son. Be as patient and gentle with yourself as you are with him. You're still so young, and you've come pretty far w/your eating issues. And, you're here! Trying to find a healthy path for yourself. Sure wish I'd known what I know about myself and carbs way back then! The way I see it, you're ahead of the game. So much life left, so much time to get better, if not perfect, at everything.
Can I just say again how much I appreciate your thoughtful responses? I always feel so encouraged whenever we connect.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Can I just say again how much I appreciate your thoughtful responses? I always feel so encouraged whenever we connect.
The feeling is mutual. Something about your posts always speak to me, even though I'm old enough to be your grandmother---although I will say, a very young grandmother. One who enjoys her martinis by the way.

Can't tell you how much I hope you stick with us here, on whatever woe that keeps you feeling good about yourself, with a healthy sense of well being. Because I believe we have the power to make decisions for ourselves as adults, that our loving, if far from perfect parents, may not agree with, but will just have to deal with. After the age of 21, we are our own keepers, and that means taking the responsibility for that, no matter what baggage we are carrying from our childhoods, and we're all carrying some baggage---good and bad. Up to us to decide what we want to keep, and what we want to leave behin.

Again, you seem ahead of the game on this, on "connecting the dots."
Old 08-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nikkipowell
Stats: 214/187/160
Start Date: July 2013
Texas Lady, I had the same problem. I always wanted to keep on eating after my dinner, even though I was full. Now that I am on LC I don't have that problem anymore.
nikkipowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rcookie
Stats: 325/288/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
I think it's possible to raise a kid that eats high carbs at every meal, who won't turn into a carb addict. While he loves ice cream and chips as much any other kid, besides proteins he also loves all kinds of veggies (even zucchini and mushrooms!), most fruit, skin-on potatoes with a little olive oil, black beans, whole-wheat bread, lentils and corn tortillas. We make all those things available to him, and it takes effort and thought. He's not a "sliced hot dog for lunch" kid by any stretch.

As much as my parents prided themselves on "healthy" eating and not allowing junk food/second helpings, the food they chose was not really good at all (and unvaried). Only one kind of fruit (apples), white noodles, white rice, all the time. The fridge was always bare, and it wasn't because we had money problems -- it was because they thought having a loaded refrigerator was bourgeois and repugnant. Also, their appetites/eating habits had also been heavily interfered with when they were growing up. Also, they were carelessly bad cooks, not bothering to do basic things to make food taste better (like overcooking everything).

I really think that if I had had the rich variety of good foods that my son has -- and thoughtful food-related parenting -- I wouldn't have had secretive eating issues when I was a kid/teen or the impulse/shame of overeating now, still.

It's so funny, I hadn't connected all the dots until now. This is the first time that I've considered the fact that my overeating issues may not be my entire fault. LCF is like therapy.
rcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Speaking of portion control (although I know this isn't what the thread is about), I have realized that I have to prepare even smaller portions during low-appetite days, because I 1) get full really fast and 2) loathe food going to waste.

I also have noticed that I have a stupid tendency to think "well, I'm already full and not even enjoying this anymore, but I better fuel up so I don't feel hungry again in 2 hrs!" It may really be that I still feel weird about snacking.

Hope I can overcome because I really think most of the magic behind LC is reduced appetite. I've been reading maintenance members' meal logs and they all seem to eat barely a handful of food at every meal.

Sorry for going all self-confessional on your thread, Blue Skies
Old 08-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Blue Skies, this article made me think of you:
Food Addiction And Processed Food - Business Insider