Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
My cravings for bread are worse than ever.

I am not going to cheat, but for some reason this last week has been brutal for wanting bread and chips. I was trying all kinds of LC substitutes for bread the last 2 weeks, and every single one I tried was disappointing to say the least. Maybe it is the frustration of not finding a wheat free substitution; I just don't know.

It might also still be my very slow weight loss, but I don't think that is directly related for craving bread and chips. I could see maybe my disappointment at not losing pounds making me a wee bit depressed and seeking comfort in food, like the old days. But I am not going to cheat.

I just thought that by now - 11 weeks in - the cravings would be gone.

It is weird that I just don't like eating things with a fork.

Meh.... Just venting.

Last edited by Garlic; 08-13-2013 at 03:44 PM..
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
"It is weird that I just don't like eating things with a fork."

I think there might be your cause.It got me too at some point .The lack of crunchy bite resistnce.The good news is that it is not a physical craving in the sense of an insulin excess .
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I'd stop trying to find substitutes. It sounds like they cause you to have cravings as much as the real thing. They caused problems for me, too.

There was a time when I pretty much inhaled bread. I'd reject diet plans that did not allow it.

I realized that any food that causes me to want to eat it all the time can't be good for me. They're gone. Now I don't eat any processed foods at all. No fake stuff, no grains. The result is NO CRAVINGS!

Sticking to only real foods completely satisfies me. It doesn't bother me what anyone around me is eating. I'm not tempted to stray at all. I have no desire to eat breads, sweets, etc. None of the foods I loved in the past are of any interest to me now. If only I could bottle and sell this...

I have been using green leaf lettuce for wraps sometimes & enjoy that. I have been making muffins with fax & almond meal. (You can make LC sandwich bread but I have not done that.) They are good but they cause no cravings at all. I seem to make them for a while & them go months without having any.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
You may not be in ketosis, meaning your brain is primarily functioning on ketones. When my cravings for carbs return it is because my blood ketones are too low. For me a couple days of fat fasting brings it back, but it can be a struggle until you get there.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
You may not be in ketosis, meaning your brain is primarily functioning on ketones. When my cravings for carbs return it is because my blood ketones are too low. For me a couple days of fat fasting brings it back, but it can be a struggle until you get there.

I am not sure I have even been in Ketosis at all.... but I do stay at 35 or less gross carbs a day.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Garlic, I so feel your pain.

Of all the carbs I've given up, bread is the hardest for me. It kind of amazes me how much I don't particularly miss rice, potatoes or pasta, and I never was that big on sugar. But I LOVE bread, in almost all its forms, and this has been by far, the challenge for me.

As you know, everyone tackles these things in their own way, with different results, so always YMMV.

For me, it has been important to find LC substitutes for bread, because in the long term lifestyle I wish to build for myself, this is necessary.

I tried many LC bread recipes here, but for me, they didn't do it. I now have 2 LC bread options that work very well for me.

One is Sara Lee Lite and delicious bread/hamburger/hot dog buns. The bread comes in at about 7 NCs a slice, and sometimes I slice off the crusts, which reduces the carb count to around 5 NCs a slice, butter and toast and make whatever. Sometimes I don't, depends on how clean I've been eating for the rest of the day. The hamburger and hot dog buns are 8 NCs each.

Another is Trader Joe's sprouted wheat bread at about 4 NCs a slice.

I do not binge on these, have them a couple of times a week, and only in accordance w/my over all goal of an average of 30 grams a day. Although lately I'd say my average has been more like 25 grams a day. This has not inhibited my weight loss at all, which continues on its slow and steady pace.

And, these LC bread options keep me from feeling deprived. I really want this to be my lifestyle, not my "diet." And, as I have allowed myself this, I feel my need for bread has greatly declined. I am satisfied w/what I have with them, for the most part.

I know your weight loss has been slow, and many might say therefore don't go w/LC bread alternatives. Some find a taste is a binge. Others like me have good results with this.

It's all about experimentation.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
I just make wraps or tortillas with flax. Never causes any cravings. I'm done with bread. We broke up. Biggest comfort food ever. I would have slices of impossibly fluffy white bread dipped in melted butter. Yikes.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
I am not going to cheat, but for some reason this last week has been brutal for wanting bread and chips. I was trying all kinds of LC substitutes for bread the last 2 weeks, and every single one I tried was disappointing to say the least. Maybe it is the frustration of not finding a wheat free substitution; I just don't know.

It might also still be my very slow weight loss, but I don't think that is directly related for craving bread and chips. I could see maybe my disappointment at not losing pounds making me a wee bit depressed and seeking comfort in food, like the old days. But I am not going to cheat.

It is weird that I just don't like eating things with a fork.

Meh.... Just venting.
I love your post because I can so identify with what you're coping with.

I am a starch girl to the max. I can live without chocolate, survive without sugar, but when it comes to chips and crusty breads and potatoes, I want!

The surprising thing? I have an intolerance to all three things.

That, then, reminded me of what Dr. Atkins once said about food allergies and intolerances and that we typically crave most what harms our bodies most. While, to me, it seems counterintuitive that the body should crave something that it rejects (and furthermore causes a histamine response, inflammation and/or stomach upset), it's true that we often pine for the pine nuts we're allergic to, bond over the bread that causes congestion, and pursue the potato aspect of life, even when we know we'll be sick for a day or more if we indulged in them.

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
I just make wraps or tortillas with flax. Never causes any cravings. I'm done with bread. We broke up. Biggest comfort food ever. I would have slices of impossibly fluffy white bread dipped in melted butter. Yikes.
"We broke up." Natalia, you make me laugh. And I love how we find our own way on LC. I wish that to continue for you, me, and everyone here---each of us fighting our own battles in our own ways. Meantime, I really enjoy your voice here.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

@BlueSkies,

Aww, shanks

I'm glad I finally took off my invisibility cloak and came out of lurkdom.

It's a great group here.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Blue Skies: the same here.... I don't miss pasta, potatoes, or rice even a little. I thought I would miss rice since I make a lot of indian food, but nope! I don't miss sugar, but I never really ate much of it anyway unless it was in processed foods. I can't even tolerate the taste of real soda.

I kind of miss tortilla chips because I love salsa and guacamole, but not with carrots or celery to dip.

But this bread thing is like a daily session of torture. I knew I liked bread, but I had no idea that it would feel like part of me died when I stopped eating it.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Blue Skies: the same here.... I don't miss pasta, potatoes, or rice even a little. I thought I would miss rice since I make a lot of indian food, but nope! I don't miss sugar, but I never really ate much of it anyway unless it was in processed foods. I can't even tolerate the taste of real soda.

I kind of miss tortilla chips because I love salsa and guacamole, but not with carrots or celery to dip.

But this bread thing is like a daily session of torture. I knew I liked bread, but I had no idea that it would feel like part of me died when I stopped eating it.
On this Garlic, we are two peas in a pod---I can't tolerate the taste of real soda either and don't drink SF sodas because I have to, but because I prefer them, and have forever. Particularly Diet Coke, which is my fave SF soda. I don't like real coke at all. Way too sweet for me. And I miss tortilla chips too, but I seem to be able to deal with that. I use guacamole and salsa in different ways now, that don't involve a carrot or a piece of celery, but that's a whole other subject.

I guess from where I come from, you're going to have to decide how much of this bread-less "torture" you can live with over a life time, which you're going to have to if you intend to make this a life style and not a diet.

Which is why, for me, I had to find some good LC bread products, and as I said I have, and they are working just fine for me. And again, including them in my woe, in a reasonable way, has way taken the scorch off my need for bread, and satisfied me. Enough. Whether that will be true for you But we find out these things when we experiment.

Good luck fellow bread lover!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Quote:
I am not sure I have even been in Ketosis at all.... but I do stay at 35 or less gross carbs a day.
Not to sound rude or harsh, but I've seen you post similar several times before and I can't remember if you've explained before, but why do you stick with that many carbs?
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

^ that's a good point, if I thought I never achieved ketosis I would continually lower my carbs until I definitely was.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Because this is where I feel best. If I eat less carbs I am miserable. And if I am miserable, I won't stay on plan, and if I don't stay on plan, all of the WONDERFUL things that have happened as a result of eating LC, will go POOF!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I am someone who needed to find acceptable low carb substitutes for this to stick in the long run. Mission tortillas fried in butter once a day and oopsie rolls were pretty close. I am vlc now but lost at a higher carb level often seeking substitutes. Yeah- mission flour tortillas were junk but once a day to keep me real were worth it. I am not one to believe that LC has to be painful at any point to be " true" LC. Sometimes as a texture thing I would eat GG scandanavian crispbreads. Not sure if I was punishing myself with those or not but they will take care of crunch for days at a time!
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Because this is where I feel best. If I eat less carbs I am miserable. And if I am miserable, I won't stay on plan, and if I don't stay on plan, all of the WONDERFUL things that have happened as a result of eating LC, will go POOF!

Smart Man!

It could be head/emotional hunger, Garlic. We eat for so many different reasons and many of our memories are filled with thoughts of the good food that we ate or the happy feeling that the carbs gave us at the time.

If it's not something that you were ever addicted to and thought you enjoyed then it doesn't bother you. If I see folks smoking cigarettes I still enjoy the smell and almost wish I could join them. The same with wine. Those who have never smoked or drank don't have those feeling of longing.

When I see someone drinking beer or eating bread it doesn't faze me. My drugs were always wine, cigarettes and pastries.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Another from me. 35 gross carbs a day is a triumph!!!! I have read in either Taubes, or one of the many LC books I have digested, that the average American eats between 250 and 300 carb grams a day! And I'm pretty sure I was on the top end, if not over before I went LC.

And indeed, you are a very smart man to know your limitations and what is sustainable over the long haul. I think you answered to this post perfectly and with much wisdom. So you just keep on keepin' on w/the woe that works for you. There can simply be no doubt that it is worlds better than where you were headed, for so many reasons I know you understand.

Too many here strap themselves to something that's unrealistic for them for the long haul. That's just another diet imo, not a well formulated approach to LC, which imo, is one that works best for you and that you can sustain.

You are doing just fine, and if you compare it to your pre LC days, you are doing great.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Yeah...uh...no. I'm 7 1/2 *months* in without a single cheat and staying below 25 carbs *and* controlling my protein and I still have times when I seriously struggle with the 'idea' that bread is a thing of the past for me...and I *love* bread. So much that my husband built me an outdoor wood fired brick oven to make artisan bread.

35 carbs really isn't a lot, but it's not just the number of carbs. It's also the type. It's why I rarely step outside non-starchy vegies for my carbs. Even oopsie rolls too often in a week will get my bread cravings going.

The bottom line is that at some point you're going to have to decide whether low carb really is the best WOE for you. If you think it is, then make a list of why and post it on your refrigerator as a reminder. Remember...the perfect WOE for each of us is the one we can live with. If you become resentful of the fact that you can't have <insert food here>, then chances are you won't stick to it.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Well, let's weigh that out...

Negatives.... I miss bread a ton!

Positives..... A1c down 3 points in 8 weeks.... Blood sugar lower by 172 points in 8 weeks..... Triglycerides lowered by 150ish point in 8 weeks. Lost many inches off my waist.... Lost about 9 pounds in 11 weeks. My doctor is talking about taking me off my medications by early next year... My self confidence level is way up... And I think just about as important as anything else is the pride I feel about being on this plan and sticking to it.

I think we can see which way the scales tip!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Have you tried Ezekiel or sprouted grain bread? I believe it's LC and it may be "worth" the 5NC or whatever to enjoy it.

For me, and boy was I a bread lover, I look at the loaf now, or when I'm preparing sandwiches for the kids, and just see hypoglycaemia and rebound monster cravings. Ugh. Makes it easy to say "no, thanks".
Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, let's weigh that out...

Negatives.... I miss bread a ton!

Positives..... A1c down 3 points in 8 weeks.... Blood sugar lower by 172 points in 8 weeks..... Triglycerides lowered by 150ish point in 8 weeks. Lost many inches off my waist.... Lost about 9 pounds in 11 weeks. My doctor is talking about taking me off my medications by early next year... My self confidence level is way up... And I think just about as important as anything else is the pride I feel about being on this plan and sticking to it.

I think we can see which way the scales tip!
Exactly. Like I said, you're doing just great. And BTW, I will note that 9 pounds in 11 weeks is pretty close to a pound a week. That's been my average since I started 7 months ago, and I've lost 28 pounds. Not evenly---sometimes there were 2 weeks or more of stalls, but then a big whoosh, But in the end, it's still an average of a pound a week, and it hasn't been that painful at all, compared to the rewards.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Positives..... A1c down 3 points in 8 weeks.... Blood sugar lower by 172 points in 8 weeks. <snip> My doctor is talking about taking me off my medications by early next year.
This is, by far, the most important reason LC is worth it. There is no other WOE that will make such a drastic change in your health!
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SUZYQ
WOE: ATKIN'S
Start Date: Feb. , 2007, again!!
I love Sara Lee 45cal. honey/wheat bread. Serving size is two slices. For me, worth the splurge. .........45 Cal Whole Wheat Bread Calories and Nutrition Facts - DailyBurn Tracker
SUZYQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nosi
Atkins' mentions dealing with cravings in his book. One is to increase fat, the other is a number of supplements. Commonly mentioned is chromium picolinate, 2x/day. My naturopath also recommends this supplement when transitioning to a wheat/grain free diet to deal with cravings. I have not tried it since I am managing without currently.

My best bread substitute is the flax seed minute muffins (quick & easy) or, if you are feeling up to baking, look up the low carb section on about.com - there is a recipe there for flax seed bread as well that tastes quite good. Just a bit more labour intensive than minute muffins
nosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josh1234
I came so close to buying a double role or rosemary bread yesterday. I put it into the basket, did a big more shopping and then decided to put it back. It is getting easier to put things back on the shelf.
Josh1234 is offline   Reply With Quote