Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Tackling the bingeing

I spent years as a Moderate to High carb yoyo dieter. So bingeing and over-eating are a bit of an issue for me. Now that I am LC and plan to stay that way, I am still having issues with bingeing, although the binges are better. They tend to stop sooner and don't last as long. It is also easier to get back on plan. Does anyone else still experiencing bingeing even on LC? Any advice on how to deal with it or what you have find works to help stop the over-eating/bingeing? I can sit down and eat an entire block of cheese even though my stomach feels full. Sometimes to me I think it might be more psychological back from the days before I was low carb.

Any feedback would be helpful thanks.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sorry to hear that you are struggling with this Punkin. What occurs to me is that maybe the foods that you are finding 'binge worthy' are foods that you have a mild allergy to like dairy? Just a thought.... hope you find a solution.

My ketogenic diet has pretty much 'cured' my bingeing. That doesn't mean that I don't on rare occasions, eat more than I should but it is not bingeing or anything remotely like the days of old. Maybe I am just lucky but the idea of eating a block of cheese is just not something that I could do.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
I have always been a "big eater". Now I find the old habits do tend to come back from time to time. Today my food choices are much better, but the urge for "more" does persist, and even when hunger s not the driving force.
I don't have any magic solution or really helpful advice, just want you to know you are not alone. At least its only a chunk of cheese and not a whole pie like it used to be with me.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Yes, I still have bingeing behaviour. Caused by emotional , hormonal, and trigger food factors.

The only way I have found to stop mid-binge is pure fat. I will cut a small chunk of butter (about 1-2T) and cut little pieces off, let each piece melt. When I am done the butter, I am VERY satiated. You can't mix the fat with anything, nothing flavourful, no sweetener or cream cheese. Keep it bland.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I still binge, no matter what "diet" I do and have come to terms with the fact I can't "diet" in anyway right now, and may never be able to "diet" again.

I am reading all I can on the root of my food relationship issues and am thinking of a course on how to stop emotional eating, which seems to be my biggest issue; stuffing a void with food to fill that void.

LC did help some but then I started binging on LC foods and started gaining weight. I am eating mindfully now and thinking about what I'm going to eat, eating only what I really want to eat and cutting the portions down, usually in half. Even doing this I tend to still eat too much because I'm still binging.

It's not easy at all and if someone tells you it is, that changing just one thing like eating LC, or being accountable by keeping a food journal, etc. will do the trick, sometimes nothing does the trick but getting to the root of the binge issue! For some changing the way they eat, or being accountable for everything they put in their mouths works, but for many of us it doesn't no matter how hard we bring different strategies into the way we eat.

There are many of us on this forum with this problem. Here is a thread that may help by showing you lots of us are battling this poor relationship with food. Our Own Plan And Binging/Night Eating Syndrome.

There are wonderful resources out there to help but I have to agree with all of them on one thing: If we don't get to the root of our binging and re-think and re-learn how to eat it will never go away.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 08-13-2013 at 08:41 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
Yes, I still have bingeing behaviour. Caused by emotional , hormonal, and trigger food factors.

The only way I have found to stop mid-binge is pure fat. I will cut a small chunk of butter (about 1-2T) and cut little pieces off, let each piece melt. When I am done the butter, I am VERY satiated. You can't mix the fat with anything, nothing flavourful, no sweetener or cream cheese. Keep it bland.
LOVE this approach! It would likely be even better if it is unsalted butter as well.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaerae
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 22, 2013
When I get to the point that I just want to keep eating as nothing seems to satisfy me, I have to start talking to myself (I do this a lot). I tell myself to just stop it, eating more isn't going to stop the craving for more food so why bother. Eventually, the "want" to eat passes. It isn't easy but it is working as I'm still losing. But boy, is it hard!
kaerae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/118.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
I thought I will wait little longer to make sure THIS IS IT but I have decided to share it now as I know there are few of us here with binging issues. I found SLD (Shangri-La Diet) amazing for changing my whole relationship with food. I had binging issues that have just gone away since I started SLD 2 weeks ago. I can't praise it enough because it is not actually a diet, it involves taking unflavored calories in form of oil 2-3 times a day. The oil has to have no flavor or this will not work. By clipping your nose while you drink the oil, you will eliminate the flavor. I am taking 1 tbl of ghee 2 times a day at least 1 hr before and 1 hr after eating. That's all I am doing and my veracious appetite it gone. I am eating much less food that I ate before and have not binged once. I have also lost 8 lb in 2 weeks.
I am probably not explaining it clearly. It is better you google it and learn more about it.

Also, check this thread
Stephan Guyenet Recommendations - Reduce Food Reward in Paleo Setting

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
LOVE this approach! It would likely be even better if it is unsalted butter as well.
Cathy - this is Shangri-La! We are doing Shangri-La paleo style and blanded down, combining Shangri-La with Stephan Guyenet's recommendations. It is so effective, especially after a few weeks, it is like some secret weapon against appetite. Or maybe some pact with the devil, I don't know.

I've been doing it with MCT oil and unsalted butter. Come on over to the thread and check it out...I miss seeing you!

Stephan Guyenet Recommendations - Reduce Food Reward in Paleo Setting

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-13-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Sorry, did not read all the replies before posting. This is what I have been doing and few of here on LCF. It is amazing, isn't it?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It seems to be the flavorless part that is so key to the high fat. I tried high fat before, lost initially, then started to gain.

Flavorless plus bland food is the key to the mystery for me! I am walking away from meals or leaving them half eaten which has never happened in my entire life. I am warm and energetic, not freezing cold and lethargic like I have been for a long time.

It means becoming you're finally winning the game with leptin resistance.

It means you're lowing the fat set point.

You are in control.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 08-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Chatty Cathy

K.T., really glad that you are experiencing success with your approach. I miss 'hanging' with you as well!

I have read and heard lots of Guyenet and was a big fan for quite a while until he came up with his food reward hypothesis and then he lost me with the 'science' he presented.

I also tried the shangri-li method of weight loss many years ago and found it unworkable.

While I am not losing much and at a snails' pace, I have to buy into the science and I have to believe it is something that I can do for the long term. Neither of these seems to be the case for me. However, I am really happy that it is working for you and others.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

At the risk of being offensive, I have to say I'm surprised (and kind of relieved) that there are so many of us who struggle with bingeing.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Sorry, did not read all the replies before posting. This is what I have been doing and few of here on LCF. It is amazing, isn't it?
Yes! I kind of stumbled on it by accident- had the munchies one night and it was driving me nuts. I decided to try some butter hoping for satiety and boy, did I get it.

For me, it's key to take your time, eat little pieces. Don't glam it up/ just eat as is. I urge anyone struggling with bingeing or compulsive eating to give it a try.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yes! I kind of stumbled on it by accident- had the munchies one night and it was driving me nuts. I decided to try some butter hoping for satiety and boy, did I get it.

For me, it's key to take your time, eat little pieces. Don't glam it up/ just eat as is. I urge anyone struggling with bingeing or compulsive eating to give it a try.
Natalia- just curious, do you eat the butter without clipping the nose?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
K.T., really glad that you are experiencing success with your approach. I miss 'hanging' with you as well!

I have read and heard lots of Guyenet and was a big fan for quite a while until he came up with his food reward hypothesis and then he lost me with th
e 'science' he presented.

I also tried the shangri-li method of weight loss many years ago and found it unworkable.

While I am not losing much and at a snails' pace, I have to buy into the science and I have to believe it is something that I can do for the long term. Neither of these seems to be the case for me. However, I am really happy that it is working for you and others.
Cathy,

Thank you for your reply. I do remember thinking the food reward theory was blaming the victim. Now that I look at it again, I think he is explaining how the modern day environment has broken our metabolisms.

The one thing that grabbed me hard was his write up of what happens when obese people were placed on a flavorless formula that they were free to administer to themselves. The obese spontaneously hit the switch for the straw so little that they only took in a small amount with no hunger. Normal weight people would hit the switch to take in their usual caloric amount to maintain weight. The bland made the obese leptin sensitive. No hunger pains. Blew me away. It was Nutrament formula that now has a banana favor. Back then, no flavoring. The straw may be part of it. Not much mouth time there. Yes it had sugar in it but overall little flavor. Oil protein powder sugar and vitamins.

Seth noted sugar without flavor can spur weight loss. I don't think this would work with a diabetic (like me) but fascinating nonetheless with the flavorless idea.

Seth Roberts originally developed his ideas with sugar water, then he moved on to the extra light olive oil. Now he actually tells people he uses butter mixed with roast need and clips his nose to achieve the flavorless window. He noticed serious brain function improvement with the butter. I gather he has discovered ketones. Just my guess.

But there is something synergistic about combining their ideas and intersecting it with MCT oil in a flavorless window.

I don't mean to be obnoxious. I have just been through the wringer trying to eek out weight loss. I have really been suffering. Cold and tired but now energetic and warm. This has been the easiest weight loss with so little suffering. I am just excited about finding a new combo that actually does something.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-13-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trinigirl
Stats: 160/158/145/139/132
WOE: Moderate Carbs.
Start Date: April 1st 2013
Wow another great thread.
Trinigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
Chatty Cathy

K.T., I don't think you could be obnoxious if you tried! You are a sweet heart. I love to hear how you are doing and what you are doing. You always have cohesive and well researched thoughts. I know some of your struggles. I am so pleased you are doing well with your new approach! Can't argue with success!!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Cathy! it has really been great to have your support these last few years.

My feeling is that different approaches work as the journey through this metabolic mess recovery changes one's physiology. Gosh I miss the days when just plain old low carbing worked.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: readyfredy
Stats: 179/177.1/125
WOE: 20-30 Net Carbs per day
Start Date: 7/22/14
For me carbs cause a physiological binge. That develops into a habit.

When I switch to lowcarb the physiological reasons go away but the habit remains.

Good luck.
readyfredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
I binge, but I'm an emotional binge eater. If I get very depressed I can binge for two days maybe even more, depending on how upset I am. Someone mentioned butter and fat. I do something similiar, when i feel a binge coming on like that, I eat a huge chunk of cream cheese. For some reason when I do this, the binge will stop. I think the fat has something to do with it, but I'm not sure. I feel for you though, being a binge eater is a terrible thing to deal with, I know because I have been dealing with it since I was in my early twenties.

Mini Goals
Goal #1
Reach 230 LBS- Goal Achieved 6/7/13
Goal#2
Reach 220 LBS- Goal Achieved 7/1/13
Goal #3
Reach ONEderland-
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Wow thanks guys. I think that strategy with the flavourless fat will work on me because I have been doing something similar with the MCT oil. I think I am a food reward/emotional eater, at least that was true in the past. It might have a physiological basis because eating carbs probably at one time stimulated my brain. Which improved my mood. I find it weird now that I am low carb because I will sometimes get the urge to binge, open the fridge or cupboard and see HC foods and have no interest in eating them. I will choose the LC alternative instead which is usually nuts or cheese. Sometimes I don't even go for them either, but not always. Next time I am going to try the unsalted butter. I am positive it will work with me for sure. The overeating is a separate issue. I don't know how to tackle that. It is more like just eating too many calories over the span of a day. It is usually in social situations which probably means there is a psychological issue going on which I am going to have to break once I figure out how.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: charicet
Quote:

This is an interesting idea and with so many people recommending it. I will give it a try.

What I am doing now when I binge is reach for healthy stuff. I've removed all junk food from my house to make sure that I'm eating the right things (at least).
charicet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Ugh, huge binger here
I have been binge free for 320+ days. Keeping carbs low and fat mod to high seems to help but when under stares I still find myself white knuckling through the urge. Yoga has helped. Using my breath instead of a box of Oreos has been a legitimate tool.
I consider myself to be similar to the alcoholic who has months of sobriety. I am food sober one day at a time.
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
Not having my trigger foods in the house helps me a lot.For me they are cashews.(plus all high carb junk)
I also find L-glutamine taken regularly helps.
I did try SLD,but found hard to stick with it.Will try again,bcoz I like the reasoning behind it.

I will agree that upping my fat takes away all that binge issue.taking a GOOD multi is also essential,since some bingeing is related to depleted stores of nutrients in body.For example I always used to crave oranges(vit C) when having fever or cheesecake when having PMS(calcium).

last couple weeks forgot my supplements and the binge monster was back after being missing for months.lesson learned
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

There are literally three things that have stopped my false hunger. Adding more fibre, and making sure my fat in grams at one meal is at least equal to the total of the protein plus carbs, and eating more calories in the morning. The biggest impact was eating more fibre but at first you end up feeling really bloated until your digestion system adjusts to it.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
There are literally three things that have stopped my false hunger. Adding more fibre, and making sure my fat in grams at one meal is at least equal to the total of the protein plus carbs, and eating more calories in the morning. The biggest impact was eating more fibre but at first you end up feeling really bloated until your digestion system adjusts to it.
Punkin
Is this still working for you?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote