Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 4-12-14
What do you do when you're just not hungry?

I've noticed the last few days that I am just not hungry at all... to the point that my online diet journal says I've consumed around 600 -700 calories for the day. I track everything I eat and I'm typically 60% fat, 30% protein and 7-10% carbs.

Sometimes even thinking of eating before noon time makes me feel ill. I know this is the high fat causing this but according to my online journal I need to consume around 1700 calories a day and I just cant see myself doing that...

How do you get the calories in? Will I still lose if my calorie intake is under 700?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I have days when I am not hungry at all. Then other days when I am. And right now I am on a steady increase of weight gain. It isn't anything to worry about at all because it is just your body adjusting to your diet. If you are low carb right now and just have recently increased your uptake, all that is happening is that your body is assessing what to do with all the fat so it will just take time for your body to readjust to the new diet. Just stick with the plan and eat when you are hungry. If you continue to experience no hunger for a few weeks then just eat your meals at regular times and don't stuff yourself. If you are low carb enough, the weight loss will take care of itself.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
If the thought of eating is gross, I do not eat. But, that almost never happens to me, lol.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
I don't force food unless I start feeling edgy and impatient or get headaches from not eating enough, the act of eating in itself usually awakens my appetite enough to drive the calories back up without much effort on my part.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
I don't eat. Usually happens on the weekend when I'm not working, but never lasts a full day, the most was 10hrs.....
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I make myself eat something...even if it's just a couple ounces of cheese or a hard boiled egg just to make sure I keep my BG stable. Early this summer, if I wasn't hungry, I just wouldn't eat and then noticed that I was having hypoglycemia problems. Cracked me up since, up until about 5 months ago I was on insulin to bring my BG down.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
And there you have it. The low carb advantage is that your appetite diminishes as ketosis deapens. Dr. A said to go with it. Heed your appetite (or lack thereof). He often described days where is lunch was little more than a few walnuts.

If you aren't hungry don't eat. Period. But do drink lots of fluids!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Perfect example of how calorie counting can mess you up. Why eat if you are not hungry? Listen and learn your body's signals. You will not starve, after all, you have this stored body fat that you want to access!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/189/125?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 24, 2014 re-start
I too am having problems with no wanting to eat and in fact gagged this morning eating my bacon. I ended up feeding 3 of my 4 pieces of bacon to my basset hound. So I just choked down my scrambled eggs, one piece of bacon, and cup of strawberries. I am forcing myself to eat because I am exercising a lot and need the fuel.
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Not hungry til noon, I don't eat til noon. Not hungry all day, different story! LC is not a "fast" and I don't think a long term fast is a good thing. However, nobody ever died from missing a couple meals, or even going a couple days without eating.

If I force myself to eat three meals a day when I am not hungry, I don't lose. Drink lots of water and follow your body's cues about when to eat, but don't allow your body to go into a starvation mode. It won't hurt to miss a meal occasionally, but if you don't have as much energy as usual, you need to adjust something. Might need a bit of salt, or a good LC meal or snack or both.

I usually don't get hungry until noon or later and have learned to not eat "by the clock". Often one meal in mid-afternoon and a small snack or so in the evening seems to work best for me. YMMV.
250-213.5-195
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
If I'm not hungry, I typically don't eat. The body seems to know what it wants and when it wants it, so barring any medical conditions or prescription-based needs, if I'm not hungry, I'll eat the next time I am.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #12

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Perfect example of how calorie counting can mess you up. Why eat if you are not hungry? Listen and learn your body's signals. You will not starve, after all, you have this stored body fat that you want to access!!
More accurately, this is a perfect example of how it can "mess you up" to believe that you are obligated to eat some higher number of calories or else you might fear you are endangering yourself. Those online estimates don't know you; they don't know your actual hunger or your particular body.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelle765
Stats: 240.2/189.8/135
Start Date: 7/19/2013
Me too!

I also am tracking what I eat and some days 500-ish cals was all I was hungry for. I only went over 1000 calories once since I restarted in Jul. I stalled and was trying to figure out why, and thinking it could be related to how little I was eating, this past Saturday I had lunch even though my stomach wasn't growling. As I began to eat, I started to feel better and realized I actually was hungry (just felt a little off). The next day, I made sure to eat lunch again. Lo and behold, I saw the scale go down both Sunday and Monday.

I had to measure my waist for health biometrics for work and did so a little over a week ago. Since then my waist has dropped two inches.
Michelle765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
Start Date: April 2013 restart
If I'm not hungry, I don't eat. Food is the one thing in my life that I have control over right now
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone! Its true, I shouldn't go by what the journal is telling me to consume in calories per day. It just gets confusing because you see a lot of posts from people who aren't losing and the first thing people look at is the fact that they are not eating enough. I've lost 10 lbs my first month back and I just don't want to sabotage it this time by doing the wrong thing....not eating enough, eating too much....Its such a frustrating puzzle isn't it?
Atkins Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Wow...I don't have this problem. Well not usually anyway, lol. If I'm under the weather maybe (like this past weekend).

I simply don't have anything until I feel like I want something.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #17

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
you see a lot of posts from people who aren't losing and the first thing people look at is the fact that they are not eating enough.
Well, one of the first things people are told is that they're not eating "enough". That doesn't make it a fact. It's one of the trends on the boards, but repeating something and continuing to circulate it doesn't make it true.

You need to go by your own trial and error. If you are losing, you're eating an appropriate amount. If you're not losing or if you're gaining, you might want to keep a more accurate eye on things and make sure you are eating what you think you're eating. Keep in mind that people at different sizes and weights require different amount of calories to suit their personal metabolism, age, medical conditions, etc. So it doesn't matter to me if some people say they can lose on 1600 calories a day and maintain on 2000. That has nothing whatsoever to do with me. Other people might say they feel like they are starving on 1200 calories. I find that to be a totally comfortable and generous amount of low carb food. It's personal.

Trust your own experience, not calculators or formulas.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Well, one of the first things people are told is that they're not eating "enough". That doesn't make it a fact. It's one of the trends on the boards, but repeating something and continuing to circulate it doesn't make it true.

You need to go by your own trial and error. If you are losing, you're eating an appropriate amount. If you're not losing or if you're gaining, you might want to keep a more accurate eye on things and make sure you are eating what you think you're eating. Keep in mind that people at different sizes and weights require different amount of calories to suit their personal metabolism, age, medical conditions, etc. So it doesn't matter to me if some people say they can lose on 1600 calories a day and maintain on 2000. That has nothing whatsoever to do with me. Other people might say they feel like they are starving on 1200 calories. I find that to be a totally comfortable and generous amount of low carb food. It's personal.

Trust your own experience, not calculators or formulas.
Thank you for your great post Peanutte. I do need to trust my own experience.
Atkins Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: idioglossic
Stats: 179/148/140 5'2"
WOE: Stillmans, low carb, low fat, low sodium, 2 meals
Start Date: August 29, 2004/Restart July 28, 2013
I never eat if not hungry. Food is fuel, not entertainment. Also why make a mess in the kitchen if I am not hungry???
idioglossic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
Not hungry til noon, I don't eat til noon. Not hungry all day, different story! LC is not a "fast" and I don't think a long term fast is a good thing. However, nobody ever died from missing a couple meals, or even going a couple days without eating.

If I force myself to eat three meals a day when I am not hungry, I don't lose. Drink lots of water and follow your body's cues about when to eat, but don't allow your body to go into a starvation mode. It won't hurt to miss a meal occasionally, but if you don't have as much energy as usual, you need to adjust something. Might need a bit of salt, or a good LC meal or snack or both.

I usually don't get hungry until noon or later and have learned to not eat "by the clock". Often one meal in mid-afternoon and a small snack or so in the evening seems to work best for me. YMMV.
I so agree with this. There's nothing wrong with not eating breakfast if you're just not hungry. Plus "forcing" yourself to eat any time of day is extremely unpleasant IMO. Would rather wait it out and really relish my bunless bacon cheeseburger when I'm finally hungry.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SKaren
Praise God! lol
SKaren is offline   Reply With Quote