Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Carbonated water (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/809944-carbonated-water.html)

suzanneyea 08-12-2013 05:42 PM

Carbonated water

So, I had some ginger ale when I was sick. Don't want to make that a habit. But, I have been drinking lemon flavored sparkling water. What are your thoughts on this? Ok or not?

2kids2cats 08-12-2013 06:30 PM

I drink it all the time

emel 08-13-2013 03:07 AM

There was a scare about carbonation in general but it has been debunked.
The colas contain phosphoric acid, and the jury is still out about bone loss from interference of calcium availability due to P acid.

Non-colas are fine and fizzy mineral water is excellent.

suzanneyea 08-13-2013 04:23 AM

Well, after ten years of plain water, this is a very exciting change in my life!

SugarFreeSheila 08-13-2013 06:13 AM

I add lemon juice not from concentrate & cayenne pepper to a gallon jug of water - sort of a copycat of the Master Cleanse recipe. Plain water is blech to me, so that ensures I'll actually drink it!

Rhubarb 08-13-2013 06:42 AM

I love the bubbles. It makes drinking all the water I need to drink a little bit easier for me.
I have a SodaStream which makes it very convenient.

Congratulations on your new adventure. ;) It's the little things, isn't it?

gordita 08-13-2013 07:13 AM

I don't remember hearing any negatives about carbonated beverages besides the possibility of it lending to constipation.

mamabat 08-13-2013 07:58 AM

I LOVE the bubbles. For me it totally curbs any stray meandering thoughts to wanting a soda, and actually even helps me not think about beer...ohhhh....beer....:p

There's a La Croix brand I really like with lots of nice flavors, and my local market has a generic brand with a mandarin orange I love.

Crazy Cat 08-13-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamabat (Post 16557536)
I LOVE the bubbles. For me it totally curbs any stray meandering thoughts to wanting a soda, and actually even helps me not think about beer...ohhhh....beer....:p

There's a La Croix brand I really like with lots of nice flavors, and my local market has a generic brand with a mandarin orange I love.

I always keep a 12 pack of the La Croix lime flavor on hand. Without it I don't think I could have broke my Coke habit. Sometimes I'm just dying for something fizzy, and I hate diet soda.

2kids2cats 08-13-2013 10:23 PM

I love the La Croix cranberry flavor and now they have a peach/pear one that is yummy~!

idioglossic 08-18-2013 05:38 AM

I drink Club Soda everyday, it is so refreshing!

emel 08-18-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordita (Post 16557456)
I don't remember hearing any negatives about carbonated beverages besides the possibility of it lending to constipation.

It was awhile back. Basically there's an ingredient in many cola-type carbonated beverages which is not ideal. And then the bandwagon started to avoid ALL carbonation. The study's method wasn't all that good in the first place either, so it was all pretty much a bunch of hooey.

ArdMaine 08-18-2013 07:00 AM

I drink a can of seltzer everyother day or so with a touch of the Grape mio, it's so yummy. reminds me of Grape Crush from my youth:)

I remember hearing that carbonated water causes belly bloat, I've not experienced it. If anything I am less bloated back on LC than ever...

glennjones 08-18-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArdMaine (Post 16563877)
I drink a can of seltzer everyother day or so with a touch of the Grape mio,..

I do the same with black cherry mio - delicious!

DiamondDeb 08-18-2013 08:19 AM

I remember hearing something years ago about carbonated water being bad for bone health. Don't recall the details or if it was true.

It has been over a decade since I had any soda/pop/come. I never tried to replace it with other carbonated beverages.

suzanneyea 08-18-2013 10:20 AM

I am still drinking it with no ill effects.

tandc90 08-19-2013 12:18 PM

I'm new so don't have any long term experience, but I adore carbonated water with fresh lime. I like both seltzer and club soda. It's good with MIOs also. Mmmm.

I usually have lime squeezed into my plain water as well.

If you really want a treat squeeze 2 limes into a glass of water and add a lot of salt. We've always called it a lime sour. The more lime juice the better IMO.

Does lime juice have carbs? I guess I should check.

Ozcook 08-19-2013 01:18 PM

Carbonated water and PH

One downside of carbonated water - for people with sensitive teeth - is that when carbon dioxide is dissolved in water it lowers the PH, making the drink more acidic. If lemon or lime juice is then added, the PH is lowered even more. :down:

marnie4949 08-19-2013 01:49 PM

:oI make a jug of green tea and another of any flavor low carb juice. I also have a Soda Stream machine and have a bottle of carbonated water and one of plain water in the fridge all the time. I have a bag of crushed ice in the freezer and ice cubes as well. With all the options you would think I would drink plenty of water . . . but NO! What do I drink? COFFEE!!!!:o

KatieKoo 08-21-2013 03:31 PM

Heehee, im drinking a glass in between typing!! Its the only way I can stay fully hydrated as, like a lot of lovely people it seems, find normal water a bit boring and bland.

Angeloco 08-23-2013 05:19 AM

I have recently discovered lacroix flavored water. Love them. My favorite is the peach- pear. I add grape propel powdered mix to it. I know sounds strange but it tastes great. Please don't tell me I shouldn't be drinking the propel. Lol

Patience 08-23-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marnie4949 (Post 16565682)
:oI make a jug of green tea and another of any flavor low carb juice. I also have a Soda Stream machine and have a bottle of carbonated water and one of plain water in the fridge all the time. I have a bag of crushed ice in the freezer and ice cubes as well. With all the options you would think I would drink plenty of water . . . but NO! What do I drink? COFFEE!!!!:o

Sounds like me . . . coffee is my comfort go-to. My last indulgence, it seems. Iced coffee now, brewed cold, with just a bit of HWC and MCT oil blended, yum. I need to get back to some carbonated later in the day to up my water. I go through phases . . . .

Patience 08-23-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tandc90 (Post 16565557)
I'm new so don't have any long term experience, but I adore carbonated water with fresh lime. I like both seltzer and club soda. It's good with MIOs also. Mmmm.

I usually have lime squeezed into my plain water as well.

If you really want a treat squeeze 2 limes into a glass of water and add a lot of salt. We've always called it a lime sour. The more lime juice the better IMO.

Does lime juice have carbs? I guess I should check.

Lime juice has carbs, not sure how many. Atkins allows a bit of lime juice during induction, although not likely two limes-worth. I am going to try this . . . I am always looking for ways to up my salt. Do you think a pinch of cayenne, would be counterproductive?

I am not familiar with MIOs . . . I checked the netrition site but that didn't tell me much. Can someone help?

gordita 08-23-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16563830)
It was awhile back. Basically there's an ingredient in many cola-type carbonated beverages which is not ideal. And then the bandwagon started to avoid ALL carbonation. The study's method wasn't all that good in the first place either, so it was all pretty much a bunch of hooey.

Yup! :shake: I was doing some reading the other day and saw the same. Good deal.

Natalia 08-23-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16571188)
Lime juice has carbs, not sure how many. Atkins allows a bit of lime juice during induction, although not likely two limes-worth. I am going to try this . . . I am always looking for ways to up my salt. Do you think a pinch of cayenne, would be counterproductive?

I am not familiar with MIOs . . . I checked the netrition site but that didn't tell me much. Can someone help?

Mio is a brand name of squeeze liquid water enhancers. Calorie free.
I'm addicted to club soda with grape crush squeeze enhancer.
Sooo good!

tandc90 08-25-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16571188)

Yes, the 2-lime drink is just a treat. I'm not doing any type of induction so....

I'd think if you want to add cayenne go ahead. I don't know what they'd be counterproductive for but then I'm not LC expert.

MIOs are sweetened with sucralose. They're intensified flavorings you squirt into water or whatever. No carbs per serving, which is about 1/4 tsp. I use more than that though. I've tried the Kool Aid and generic versions and don't like them as well as the original MIO brand. Squirted into carbonated water they give you that soda flavor and feel.

You can find them in the kool aid section in grocery store.