Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Don't give up the ship (or on your hips)! How I finally broke a months-long stall.

WOOT!

For the last 6 months or so, I've been struggling to get out of the 250s and into the next "half century" of weight. SIX MONTHS. Up and down and up and down. Six months.

And guess what. I DID IT. The end.

I finally finally did it.

248. Bam. Good morning, 240s. I've been so waiting to meet you. How you doin'?

So why am I here spazzing all over my own thread?

Here's the deal. In that long period of nothing moving in the right direction weight wise, I wasn't perfect (though I never claimed to be), I discovered food intolerances, allergies and aversions. I panicked a few times. had some adventures I wouldn't have had at my former weight, like hiking and sightseeing. I sold my website. I signed up for college to complete my undergraduate degree. I saw another son graduate. I moved another away to college. I exercised. I supported his husband as he worked toward his MBA. I stopped exercising. I won a TOPS award for the most weight lost in my state in my division (thanks to keto/low-carb eating).

Still, no losses.

So one day, I finally said to myself, "Self, if you never lost another pound, would you be satisfied?"

And I answered, "Yes. This'll happen when it happens. I've lost over 100 pounds. Who does that? I feel amazing."

For the first time in my entire life, I finally started to focus on how my clothes felt and how much I've accomplished so far. Even if I stepped on the scale with a gain, a loss, or something in between at TOPS during my weekly weigh in, I wasn't worried. For the first time ever.

And somewhere in all of those Zen moments, as I stepped on the scale this morning feeling less enthusiastic and heavier than ever, I was down 2 pounds.

Just like that.

And now I've done what I've waited six months to do. And I have to say, it feels amazing. AMAZING. But it's nowhere near the feelings of accomplishment I have for just being and existing in imperfect moments where the scale isn't constantly showing losses and being just fine.

So don't give up stallers and long haulers. It might take a little longer to lose from time to time, but let it bring to you those moments of clarity, of why you chose to do this, and celebrate your losses. Carry something that weighs what you've lost so far. Look at an old pair of pants. When your kids hug you and throw their hands completely around your middle and remark, "Wow, Mom (or Dad)! I can reach all the way around you and touch my hands," and you know that maybe the scale isn't giving you affirmation, hugs, or bigger pants, it was really you all along. It was you still existing healthfully, adventurously, and without apology.

And you're just fabulous.

I'd post a before and a during, but I can't due to my account being wonky. Maybe next time?

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.

Last edited by cleochatra; 08-09-2013 at 08:11 AM..
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: WW Diva!
Start Date: May 20, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
WOOT!

For the last 6 months or so, I've been struggling to get out of the 250s and into the next "half century" of weight. SIX MONTHS. Up and down and up and down. Six months.

And guess what. I DID IT. The end.

I finally finally did it.

248. Bam. Good morning, 240s. I've been so waiting to meet you. How you doin'?

So why am I here spazzing all over my own thread?

Here's the deal. In that long period of nothing moving in the right direction weight wise, I wasn't perfect (though I never claimed to be), I discovered food intolerances, allergies and aversions. I panicked a few times. had some adventures I wouldn't have had at my former weight, like hiking and sightseeing. I sold my website. I signed up for college to complete my undergraduate degree. I saw another son graduate. I moved another away to college. I exercised. I supported his husband as he worked toward his MBA. I stopped exercising. I won a TOPS award for the most weight lost in my state in my division (thanks to keto/low-carb eating).

Still, no losses.

So one day, I finally said to myself, "Self, if you never lost another pound, would you be satisfied?"

And I answered, "Yes. This'll happen when it happens. I've lost over 100 pounds. Who does that? I feel amazing."

For the first time in my entire life, I finally started to focus on how my clothes felt and how much I've accomplished so far. Even if I stepped on the scale with a gain, a loss, or something in between at TOPS during my weekly weigh in, I wasn't worried. For the first time ever.

And somewhere in all of those Zen moments, as I stepped on the scale this morning feeling less enthusiastic and heavier than ever, I was down 2 pounds.

Just like that.

And now I've done what I've waited six months to do. And I have to say, it feels amazing. AMAZING. But it's nowhere near the feelings of accomplishment I have for just being and existing in imperfect moments where the scale isn't constantly showing losses and being just fine.

So don't give up stallers and long haulers. It might take a little longer to lose from time to time, but let it bring to you those moments of clarity, of why you chose to do this, and celebrate your losses. Carry something that weighs what you've lost so far. Look at an old pair of pants. When your kids hug you and throw their hands completely around your middle and remark, "Wow, Mom (or Dad)! I can reach all the way around you and touch my hands," and you know that maybe the scale isn't giving you affirmation, hugs, or bigger pants, it was really you all along. It was you still existing healthfully, adventurously, and without apology.

And you're just fabulous.

I'd post a before and a during, but I can't due to my account being wonky. Maybe next time?
Congrats Jamie! You look fab in the new avi btw. And love your blog - thank you for what you do!! Your recipes rock!
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
something there

Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words. I no longer own the site, but man, how I loved it while I owned it for so many years. Ultimately, I made the decision to head back to college to complete my undergraduate degree, something had to give, so I sold it in May. I am feeling free to explore what my next adventures will be--but right now, they're very rooted in CSU studies and spending quantity time with my kids who grow up too too quickly.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Congrats and thanks for the words of encouragement. I too have been stuck but for over a year...I don't want to change what has worked so far but it does get discouraging. sometimes I think what am I doing this for? Especially when my weight will seem to climb for no apparent reason...up to 10 pounds at times...And it seems like forever until it comes back down. I just have to keep telling myself that I am doing this because I don't want to go to the pharmacy and pay for monthly drugs as I see others do. I'd rather spend the money on fun stuff...So, I carry on and plug away at this.

Thanks agai for your enlightening words...I have to be OK wit myself the way I am also

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Jamie grats as well on the degree
I didn't know CSU taught baconology!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
something there

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Congrats and thanks for the words of encouragement. I too have been stuck but for over a year...I don't want to change what has worked so far but it does get discouraging. sometimes I think what am I doing this for? Especially when my weight will seem to climb for no apparent reason...up to 10 pounds at times...And it seems like forever until it comes back down. I just have to keep telling myself that I am doing this because I don't want to go to the pharmacy and pay for monthly drugs as I see others do. I'd rather spend the money on fun stuff...So, I carry on and plug away at this.

Thanks agai for your enlightening words...I have to be OK wit myself the way I am also
65 pounds lost is seriously amazing. Like phenomenally amazing. I am so proud of all of your hard work. Sometimes just letting go of the numbers helps. It could also be a food intolerance, stress, life events, or too much effort getting in the way of things. Sometimes I was so overwhelmed thinking of all of the reasons that I became my own lab rat and ran the maze for the scale.

Who needs that? Better to live a little off the grid than to be stuck in a maze.

I am REALLY proud of you. That you've kicked meds and made lifestyle changes (with stalls that long, we have lifestyles now) and have stayed with it because of the right reasons.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
something there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Jamie grats as well on the degree
I didn't know CSU taught baconology!

You know they must.

To err is human; to forgive, porcine.

--Hamlet
Old 08-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: WW Diva!
Start Date: May 20, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words. I no longer own the site, but man, how I loved it while I owned it for so many years. Ultimately, I made the decision to head back to college to complete my undergraduate degree, something had to give, so I sold it in May. I am feeling free to explore what my next adventures will be--but right now, they're very rooted in CSU studies and spending quantity time with my kids who grow up too too quickly.
Oh I had no idea! No wonder why it seemed so different! Loved the recipes though Congrats on the new venture!!
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
something there

Thank you! I appreciate it. I am really excited for the things I have to look forward to!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/118.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
That's wonderful!!!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
We are all so proud of you...
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
something there

You are so kind to say so, tobelowcarber and {{{Carolyn}}}.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
Congrats and thanks for the wonderful post. I know how great that feels. I'm pretty much at the same place weight-wise, and though I haven't lost the last couple months, I've maintained and I've lived. I hope, when I get to goal, I can maintain and live some more.
gordita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Congrats girl!!! That's fantastic news combined with so many major accomplishments! Great post!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Congrats! I just recently hit 65 pounds myself after very long stalls, so I know how wonderful it feels. Enjoy the feeling!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
something there

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordita View Post
I've maintained and I've lived. I hope, when I get to goal, I can maintain and live some more.
I LOVE this.

Quote:
That's fantastic news combined with so many major accomplishments!
Thank you! It's been a really busy, life-changing past few months--and sometimes really stressful--but it's all been worth the doubt, the worry, and the fear of things going wrong.

Quote:
I just recently hit 65 pounds myself after very long stalls, so I know how wonderful it feels.
Congratulations on your own major accomplishment! I am so proud of you!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13

ROCK ON!!
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krissakris
WOE: Low-Carb Something of Another...
Beautifully worded! I've been lcing and exercising since January and haven't stepped on a scale once. It helps to focus on nsv. Congrats!
krissakris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...

Way to hang in there! Amazing work and great attitude!!!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Jamie,
You're an inspiration! I have to admit that, even though I've been at this for awhile (1972?), my weight loss went pretty quickly when I seriously stuck consistently to low carb...so I admire you for persevering *and* keeping up such a great attitude at a 6 month stall! Way to go, you!!
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #21
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Jamie, just gotta say, love you girl! You are the best!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Jamie- you don't know me, but back when I was LC ing last time, I just loved your site with all your fabulous and creative recipes!

I think you are an inspiration to any of us who are slow losers or are caught in an extended stall. Intellectually we know we are going to get there but when you're in the middle of it, can be so frustrating.

Love your posts and how your quirky personality shines through.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Love your attitude !

Hope you aren't any where near that flash flood area ! Stay safe
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Love you, Jamie! Thanks for helping put things in perspective. Why is it that we always think what we have accomplished is never good enough, instead of being proud of the amazing work we have done? Gotta go find some 30 lb somethings to carry around for a while to remind myself I accomplished a major feat, instead of dwelling on the mental picture of what I think I SHOULD look like.
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Thank you for this post Jamie, you are awesome and much loved. Congrats too and you are so right, no matter the journey or how long it takes, it's pretty amazing when we see ourselves succeed, learn to accept it as it happens and being thankful for each step getting there. Hugs
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
Start Date: 10/1/01
Congrats, your perseverance paid off!
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
you make me so happy!! I love your blogs, recipes are the bomb and you simply just make sense to me! thanks for all you do to help and support and encourage so many people you may never meet.....congrats and kutgw
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jannybunny
Stats: 175/110/115 restart 187/146/130
Start Date: 1/4/2008 restarted for the last time 1/3/2013
Congratulations! You are a true inspiration
Jannybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie15
Stats: 230/224/150
WOE: Low Carbs/ Tend toward Paleo
Start Date: August 2013
Congratulations, Jamie!
I think you have so much to be proud of~ not just your weight loss but look at how much you have changed in the process. It is a process, after all.
Blondie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Jamie, You ROCK!!!!!!! One of my favorites...I am so proud for you...
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote