Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Don't give up the ship (or on your hips)! How I finally broke a months-long stall. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/809742-dont-give-up-ship-your-hips-how-i-finally-broke-months-long-stall.html)

cleochatra 08-09-2013 08:04 AM

Don't give up the ship (or on your hips)! How I finally broke a months-long stall.
 
WOOT!

For the last 6 months or so, I've been struggling to get out of the 250s and into the next "half century" of weight. SIX MONTHS. Up and down and up and down. Six months.

And guess what. I DID IT. The end.

I finally finally did it.

248. Bam. Good morning, 240s. I've been so waiting to meet you. How you doin'?

So why am I here spazzing all over my own thread?

Here's the deal. In that long period of nothing moving in the right direction weight wise, I wasn't perfect (though I never claimed to be), I discovered food intolerances, allergies and aversions. I panicked a few times. had some adventures I wouldn't have had at my former weight, like hiking and sightseeing. I sold my website. I signed up for college to complete my undergraduate degree. I saw another son graduate. I moved another away to college. I exercised. I supported his husband as he worked toward his MBA. I stopped exercising. I won a TOPS award for the most weight lost in my state in my division (thanks to keto/low-carb eating).

Still, no losses.

So one day, I finally said to myself, "Self, if you never lost another pound, would you be satisfied?"

And I answered, "Yes. This'll happen when it happens. I've lost over 100 pounds. Who does that? I feel amazing."

For the first time in my entire life, I finally started to focus on how my clothes felt and how much I've accomplished so far. Even if I stepped on the scale with a gain, a loss, or something in between at TOPS during my weekly weigh in, I wasn't worried. For the first time ever.

And somewhere in all of those Zen moments, as I stepped on the scale this morning feeling less enthusiastic and heavier than ever, I was down 2 pounds.

Just like that.

And now I've done what I've waited six months to do. And I have to say, it feels amazing. AMAZING. But it's nowhere near the feelings of accomplishment I have for just being and existing in imperfect moments where the scale isn't constantly showing losses and being just fine.

So don't give up stallers and long haulers. It might take a little longer to lose from time to time, but let it bring to you those moments of clarity, of why you chose to do this, and celebrate your losses. Carry something that weighs what you've lost so far. Look at an old pair of pants. When your kids hug you and throw their hands completely around your middle and remark, "Wow, Mom (or Dad)! I can reach all the way around you and touch my hands," and you know that maybe the scale isn't giving you affirmation, hugs, or bigger pants, it was really you all along. It was you still existing healthfully, adventurously, and without apology.

And you're just fabulous.

I'd post a before and a during, but I can't due to my account being wonky. Maybe next time? :shake:

LadyKT 08-09-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 16552680)
WOOT!

For the last 6 months or so, I've been struggling to get out of the 250s and into the next "half century" of weight. SIX MONTHS. Up and down and up and down. Six months.

And guess what. I DID IT. The end.

I finally finally did it.

248. Bam. Good morning, 240s. I've been so waiting to meet you. How you doin'?

So why am I here spazzing all over my own thread?

Here's the deal. In that long period of nothing moving in the right direction weight wise, I wasn't perfect (though I never claimed to be), I discovered food intolerances, allergies and aversions. I panicked a few times. had some adventures I wouldn't have had at my former weight, like hiking and sightseeing. I sold my website. I signed up for college to complete my undergraduate degree. I saw another son graduate. I moved another away to college. I exercised. I supported his husband as he worked toward his MBA. I stopped exercising. I won a TOPS award for the most weight lost in my state in my division (thanks to keto/low-carb eating).

Still, no losses.

So one day, I finally said to myself, "Self, if you never lost another pound, would you be satisfied?"

And I answered, "Yes. This'll happen when it happens. I've lost over 100 pounds. Who does that? I feel amazing."

For the first time in my entire life, I finally started to focus on how my clothes felt and how much I've accomplished so far. Even if I stepped on the scale with a gain, a loss, or something in between at TOPS during my weekly weigh in, I wasn't worried. For the first time ever.

And somewhere in all of those Zen moments, as I stepped on the scale this morning feeling less enthusiastic and heavier than ever, I was down 2 pounds.

Just like that.

And now I've done what I've waited six months to do. And I have to say, it feels amazing. AMAZING. But it's nowhere near the feelings of accomplishment I have for just being and existing in imperfect moments where the scale isn't constantly showing losses and being just fine.

So don't give up stallers and long haulers. It might take a little longer to lose from time to time, but let it bring to you those moments of clarity, of why you chose to do this, and celebrate your losses. Carry something that weighs what you've lost so far. Look at an old pair of pants. When your kids hug you and throw their hands completely around your middle and remark, "Wow, Mom (or Dad)! I can reach all the way around you and touch my hands," and you know that maybe the scale isn't giving you affirmation, hugs, or bigger pants, it was really you all along. It was you still existing healthfully, adventurously, and without apology.

And you're just fabulous.

I'd post a before and a during, but I can't due to my account being wonky. Maybe next time? :shake:

:jumpjoy: Congrats Jamie! You look fab in the new avi btw. And love your blog - thank you for what you do!! Your recipes rock!

cleochatra 08-09-2013 08:16 AM

Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words. I no longer own the site, but man, how I loved it while I owned it for so many years. Ultimately, I made the decision to head back to college to complete my undergraduate degree, something had to give, so I sold it in May. I am feeling free to explore what my next adventures will be--but right now, they're very rooted in CSU studies and spending quantity time with my kids who grow up too too quickly.

lterry913 08-09-2013 08:27 AM

Congrats and thanks for the words of encouragement. I too have been stuck but for over a year...I don't want to change what has worked so far but it does get discouraging. sometimes I think what am I doing this for? Especially when my weight will seem to climb for no apparent reason...up to 10 pounds at times...And it seems like forever until it comes back down. I just have to keep telling myself that I am doing this because I don't want to go to the pharmacy and pay for monthly drugs as I see others do. I'd rather spend the money on fun stuff...So, I carry on and plug away at this.

Thanks agai for your enlightening words...I have to be OK wit myself the way I am also :)

Dottie 08-09-2013 08:31 AM

:jumpjoy: Jamie grats as well on the degree:)
I didn't know CSU taught baconology!

cleochatra 08-09-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16552732)
Congrats and thanks for the words of encouragement. I too have been stuck but for over a year...I don't want to change what has worked so far but it does get discouraging. sometimes I think what am I doing this for? Especially when my weight will seem to climb for no apparent reason...up to 10 pounds at times...And it seems like forever until it comes back down. I just have to keep telling myself that I am doing this because I don't want to go to the pharmacy and pay for monthly drugs as I see others do. I'd rather spend the money on fun stuff...So, I carry on and plug away at this.

Thanks agai for your enlightening words...I have to be OK wit myself the way I am also :)

65 pounds lost is seriously amazing. Like phenomenally amazing. I am so proud of all of your hard work. Sometimes just letting go of the numbers helps. It could also be a food intolerance, stress, life events, or too much effort getting in the way of things. Sometimes I was so overwhelmed thinking of all of the reasons that I became my own lab rat and ran the maze for the scale.

Who needs that? Better to live a little off the grid than to be stuck in a maze.

I am REALLY proud of you. That you've kicked meds and made lifestyle changes (with stalls that long, we have lifestyles now) and have stayed with it because of the right reasons. :jumpjoy:

cleochatra 08-09-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16552739)
:jumpjoy: Jamie grats as well on the degree:)
I didn't know CSU taught baconology!

:hyst:

You know they must.

To err is human; to forgive, porcine.

--Hamlet

LadyKT 08-09-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 16552705)
Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words. I no longer own the site, but man, how I loved it while I owned it for so many years. Ultimately, I made the decision to head back to college to complete my undergraduate degree, something had to give, so I sold it in May. I am feeling free to explore what my next adventures will be--but right now, they're very rooted in CSU studies and spending quantity time with my kids who grow up too too quickly.

Oh I had no idea! No wonder why it seemed so different! Loved the recipes though :D Congrats on the new venture!!

cleochatra 08-09-2013 10:10 AM

Thank you! I appreciate it. I am really excited for the things I have to look forward to!

tobelowcarber 08-09-2013 10:17 AM

That's wonderful!!!

CarolynF 08-09-2013 12:07 PM

We are all so proud of you...:)

cleochatra 08-09-2013 12:21 PM

You are so kind to say so, tobelowcarber and {{{Carolyn}}}.

gordita 08-09-2013 12:44 PM

Congrats and thanks for the wonderful post. I know how great that feels. I'm pretty much at the same place weight-wise, and though I haven't lost the last couple months, I've maintained and I've lived. I hope, when I get to goal, I can maintain and live some more.

pooticus 08-09-2013 05:22 PM

Congrats girl!!! That's fantastic news combined with so many major accomplishments! Great post!

Janknitz 08-09-2013 05:37 PM

Congrats! I just recently hit 65 pounds myself after very long stalls, so I know how wonderful it feels. Enjoy the feeling!

cleochatra 08-09-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordita (Post 16553136)
I've maintained and I've lived. I hope, when I get to goal, I can maintain and live some more.

I LOVE this. :jumpjoy:

Quote:

That's fantastic news combined with so many major accomplishments!
Thank you! It's been a really busy, life-changing past few months--and sometimes really stressful--but it's all been worth the doubt, the worry, and the fear of things going wrong.

Quote:

I just recently hit 65 pounds myself after very long stalls, so I know how wonderful it feels.
Congratulations on your own major accomplishment! I am so proud of you! :clap:

erinmarie 08-09-2013 08:11 PM

:goodpost:
ROCK ON!!:sing:

krissakris 08-10-2013 08:56 PM

Beautifully worded! I've been lcing and exercising since January and haven't stepped on a scale once. It helps to focus on nsv. Congrats! :)

Key Tones 08-10-2013 09:41 PM

:goodpost:

Way to hang in there! Amazing work and great attitude!!!

Aomiel 08-11-2013 04:22 AM

Jamie,
You're an inspiration! I have to admit that, even though I've been at this for awhile (1972?), my weight loss went pretty quickly when I seriously stuck consistently to low carb...so I admire you for persevering *and* keeping up such a great attitude at a 6 month stall! Way to go, you!!

clackley 08-11-2013 06:12 AM

Jamie, just gotta say, love you girl! You are the best!

Natalia 08-11-2013 07:21 AM

Jamie- you don't know me, but back when I was LC ing last time, I just loved your site with all your fabulous and creative recipes!

I think you are an inspiration to any of us who are slow losers or are caught in an extended stall. Intellectually we know we are going to get there but when you're in the middle of it, can be so frustrating.

Love your posts and how your quirky personality shines through.

shelby'snana 08-11-2013 07:24 AM

Love your attitude !

Hope you aren't any where near that flash flood area ! Stay safe :)

mainemom 08-11-2013 07:43 AM

Love you, Jamie! Thanks for helping put things in perspective. Why is it that we always think what we have accomplished is never good enough, instead of being proud of the amazing work we have done? Gotta go find some 30 lb somethings to carry around for a while to remind myself I accomplished a major feat, instead of dwelling on the mental picture of what I think I SHOULD look like.

scalestepper 08-11-2013 02:40 PM

Thank you for this post Jamie, you are awesome and much loved. Congrats too and you are so right, no matter the journey or how long it takes, it's pretty amazing when we see ourselves succeed, learn to accept it as it happens and being thankful for each step getting there. Hugs

Shimmer 08-11-2013 03:57 PM

Congrats, your perseverance paid off!:up:

mayleesa 08-11-2013 04:15 PM

you make me so happy!! I love your blogs, recipes are the bomb and you simply just make sense to me! thanks for all you do to help and support and encourage so many people you may never meet.....congrats and kutgw

Jannybunny 08-11-2013 05:26 PM

Congratulations! :jumpjoy: You are a true inspiration :heart:

Blondie15 08-11-2013 06:17 PM

Congratulations, Jamie!
I think you have so much to be proud of~ not just your weight loss but look at how much you have changed in the process. It is a process, after all.

tybeeanna 08-11-2013 06:23 PM

Jamie, You ROCK!!!!!!! One of my favorites...I am so proud for you...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM.